Ronaldo is the goat

Bobski

Ronaldo and Messi's goal records have both been inflated by the nature of the modern elite football, with a few super-teams gathering much of the top talent using their domestic leagues as cannon fodder. Not a criticism of them, just the reality of the situation, another reason why using their goal-scoring stats as the prime argument in their historic placement is flawed.

el3mel

Ronaldo and Messi's goal records have both been inflated by the nature of the modern elite football, with a few super-teams gathering much of the top talent using their domestic leagues as cannon fodder. Not a criticism of them, just the reality of the situation, another reason why using their goal-scoring stats as the prime argument in their historic placement is flawed.
Disagree. If it was that easy why no other player in Madrid or Barca attacking lineup put similar consistent numbers ?

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Then why do they score so much for their countries too?

meamth

Disagree. If it was that easy why no other player in Madrid or Barca attacking lineup put similar consistent numbers ?
True, why can't Bayern buy their own Messi or Ronaldo? Even us, with tons of cash couldn't find half the player of that ilk.

el3mel

Suarez has 0.85 goals per game at Barcelona
Still not on the same consistent level of Messi I believe.

Also, Madrid always had a full stacked team in every area of the pitch before Ronaldo, why no one was putting a similar consistent performance, scoring +40-50 goals each season ?

Cal?

CR7 fan
Ronaldo scored a penalty and a soft goal on the way to the 4 goals this tournament so far. Cheryshev and Costa both have 3 goals. Take away the penalty and the soft goal and he isn't even top scorer. The other 2 have more goals from open play. Does this mean Costa and Cheryshev are second and third best players in the world?
Costa's goal last night wasn't soft? :houllier:

Cal?

CR7 fan
Still not on the same consistent level of Messi I believe.

Also, Madrid always had a full stacked team in every area of the pitch before Ronaldo, why no one was putting a similar consistent performance, scoring +40-50 goals each season ?
Luiz Ronaldo himself played in Madrid's galaticos team yet couldn't even win 1 CL. :smirk:

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
That's harsh...

Just nowhere near the level of Cristiano.
:lol:

So you do actually mean ability wise then? I get the 'legacy' or 'greatness' arguments. But Ronaldo (Brazil) was on a higher level than Cristiano has ever reached.

Cal?

CR7 fan

So you do actually mean ability wise then? I get the 'legacy' or 'greatness' arguments. But Ronaldo (Brazil) was on a higher level than Cristiano has ever reached.
Do not agree, it's just nostalgia...

Cristiano scored 50+ most of his career, Luiz couldn't even manage it ONCE.

Bobski

Both those teams are set up to play to the particular strengths of their key man. They are and have been the 2 best in the world after all. Guys like Suarez, Neymar, Bale have all scored handsomely. Benzema is sometimes criticized for his scoring rate but he is pretty much at 1 in 2 over 400 games for Madrid which historically would have been an excellent record for nearly any striker. Having all these talents makes it much more difficult to focus defensively on one man.

Then why do they score so much for their countries too?
Goal a game at club level, 85 in 152 for Ronaldo at international level, 64 in 124 for Messi. Great records, more realistic records.

el3mel

Both those teams are set up to play to the particular strengths of their key man. They are and have been the 2 best in the world after all. Guys like Suarez, Neymar, Bale have all scored handsomely. Benzema is sometimes criticized for his scoring rate but he is pretty much at 1 in 2 over 400 games for Madrid which historically would have been an excellent record for nearly any striker. Having all these talents makes it much more difficult to focus defensively on one man.
And before both Messi and Ronaldo why no one in both teams were putting similar numbers ? And do you think after their era end, any other key player will be putting similar numbers for Madrid and Barca ?

They're scoring such numbers because their finishing is just really that good. They're better finishers than the best finishers around.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Goal a game at club level, 85 in 152 for Ronaldo at international level, 64 in 124 for Messi. Great records, more realistic records.
Not really. Ronaldo scores one goal per game for the national team too, he just played a lot of games when he was young. If you compare it year by year, there’s barely any difference

48 goals and 11 assists in his last 52 games for Portugal

Bobski

And before both Messi and Ronaldo why no one in both teams were putting similar numbers ? And do you think after their era end, any other key player will be putting similar numbers for Madrid and Barca ?

They're scoring such numbers because their finishing is just really that good. They're better finishers than the best finishers around.
Because as I initially said the disparity in talent between Real/Barca and the rest domestically in recent years and their historic equivalents is much greater.

I am not criticizing them, I am suggesting that basing an argument for their historic placement on stats alone is ignoring context. They would always have scored prolifically, but the current environment has been the ideal time for them to put up absurd numbers.

The Galactico era Madrid were not bringing Bale off the bench, it was Portillo. The model was Zidane and Pavon, a few superstars supplemented by youth players, they did not have close to the depth of current Madrid.

el3mel

Because as I initially said the disparity in talent between Real/Barca and the rest domestically in recent years and their historic equivalents is much greater.

I am not criticizing them, I am suggesting that basing an argument for their historic placement on stats alone is ignoring context. They would always have scored prolifically, but the current environment has been the ideal time for them to put up absurd numbers.

The Galactico era Madrid were not bringing Bale off the bench, it was Portillo. The model was Zidane and Pavon, a few superstars supplemented by youth players, they did not have close to the depth of current Madrid.
The gap between Madrid/Barca and other La Liga teams was always the same and will stay the same post them. It's Ronaldo and Messi only who have been doing these crazy numbers so I think it's due to them being really that good. I don't think post them there will be any other player who will be scoring with the same rate.

Bobski

The gap between Madrid/Barca and other La Liga teams was always the same and will stay the same post them. It's Ronaldo and Messi only who have been doing these crazy numbers so I think it's due to them being really that good. I don't think post them there will be any other player who will be scoring with the same rate.
Difference between 2 teams dominating and winning the majority of the trophies and the recent record breaking obliteration. To move it beyond Ronaldo you see the same dominance from Bayern and PSG, record breaking seasons in recent years. Zlatan scoring 50 goals at 35 in France because, yes he is brilliant, but also because PSG dominate to an absurd level.

Anyway, they are clearly among the best ever, maybe even the best, but I still contend you have to look beyond the stats. Not basketball.

Dr Baltar

Whether he does it because he's being selfish/preserving energy or because he's that intelligent I love that he knows what his strengths are now and doesn't try to drop in & get involved in play when he's not involved for a while. Too many number 9s think they need to get involved when they best serve their team by occupying the centre halves, giving the team an out ball & taking players out of the game.
Must make things so much easier for the portugal players knowing exactly where he'll be without checking.

el3mel

Difference between 2 teams dominating and winning the majority of the trophies and the recent record breaking obliteration. To move it beyond Ronaldo you see the same dominance from Bayern and PSG, record breaking seasons in recent years. Zlatan scoring 50 goals at 35 in France because, yes he is brilliant, but also because PSG dominate to an absurd level.

Anyway, they are clearly among the best ever, maybe even the best, but I still contend you have to look beyond the stats. Not basketball.
It's not the point of putting these numbers in a year, it's the point of putting these same number year in year out, same crazy numbers every year which is something Messi and Ronaldo exceed everyone else imo. With most top players there's always a peak year in which they put crazy stats in then have a consistent good but less stats each other year. In Messi and Ronaldo, it's the same crazy numbers every year. That what makes them unique.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
They both have around a 0.5 ratio for their countries, both way down on their clubs.
That’s because they played as youngsters for their countries. For their clubs they played enough games for the average to rise, for their countries they haven’t

antsmithmk

Hates women.
That’s because they played as youngsters for their countries. For their clubs they played enough games for the average to rise, for their countries they haven’t
Not sure that will stand up to a proper mathematical analysis to be honest.

Eila

My god, Messi has had a mare the past 3 years. I think he might retire early. Not next season or anything, but after he runs his contract.
It's crazy how much Cristiano has closed the gap.

AngliaRed

6 months ago, it was close, but now Ronaldo is clearly ahead. How he’s adapted his game his position into a trophy winning goal machine. Ronaldo has basically single handly dragged Portugal to the knock out stages this WC and you look at Messi tonight, looks dejected, lazy, even abit arrogant.

Ronaldo has surely established himself as the GOAT domestically and internationally and he keeps breaking records.

For me, the last 6-8 months has put Ronaldo ahead.

Andy_Cole

So if Argentina go out. The team that comes top in Portugal’s group would face Russia or Uruguay next, then Croatia or Denmark in the quarters.

Could be an easy (in terms of missing the big boys) route to the Semis. May put a cheeky bet on Ronaldo to win it.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
So if Argentina go out. The team that comes top in Portugal’s group would face Russia or Uruguay next, then Croatia or Denmark in the quarters.

Could be an easy (in terms of missing the big boys) route to the Semis. May put a cheeky bet on Ronaldo to win it.
To be fair, Croatia probably are one of the 'big boys'. Maybe not in name, but they are probably battling Belgium to be fourth favourites at this stage (third if Germany don't get their act together).

Eila

Yeah, it's looking like that whole bracket will be easy. The other semi-finalist would come from Mexico-Serbia/Switzerland and a team from Group H-England

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Everyone is in the same boat there. The reason the ratio isn't the same is the resource imbalances aren't as skewed as they are in the club game.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Everyone is in the same boat there. The reason the ratio isn't the same is the resource imbalances aren't as skewed as they are in the club game.
At least for Ronaldo that's not the case. For club he usually plays 90 minutes, for club in friendlies he usually just plays 45 for example which changes things. He's been scoring as much for Portugal as in Madrid for a long while now despite the difference in ratios. Of course you'll also have to take into account the fact he plays against easier teams in the european qualifiers but the difference between how many minutes it takes him to score a goal isn't big.

I remember we've talked about this before, so when I have time I'll bring out the numbers and try to give you some proof of what I'm saying.

Jonno

Even Messi fans must admit, Messi doesn't have the ability to drag average teams towards greatness. Portugal were poor in Euro 2016. They're even worse now. They don't deserve more than 1 point at this stage. Ronaldo has the ability to win things in great teams, and win things in poor teams.

Messi just doesn't influence this average Argentina like Ronaldo influences (time and time again) this poor Portugal side.

el3mel

Even Messi fans must admit, Messi doesn't have the ability to drag average teams towards greatness. Portugal were poor in Euro 2016. They're even worse now. They don't deserve more than 1 point at this stage. Ronaldo has the ability to win things in great teams, and win things in poor teams.

Messi just doesn't influence this average Argentina like Ronaldo influences (time and time again) this poor Portugal side.
Agree. Ronaldo has a big influence on United, Madrid and Portugal, which is a big plus for him so far. Messi doesn't look the same with his national team as he's with Barca.

The past few 2-3 years have been all Ronaldo.

tomaldinho1

As much as I adored the 'original' Ronaldo (he was my idol growing up) I don't think you can genuinely argue he was at CR's level. Fans love to over hype past 'greats' and I genuinely believe Luis Ronaldo was the best striker of his generation but CR is a different league to pretty much any attacking player I have ever seen bar Messi (hence the eternal debate).

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
One thing that has been really doing my head in since the Spain game. He is being lauded as if that was one of the greatest performances of all time. To put it in context, it was the 1st group stage match in a group where even if they had lost they would still be odds on to qualify. Moreover they only drew. And of his 3 goals one was a top class free kick, no doubt, but one was a penalty and one was a goalkeeping mistake. Now one goal against Morocco and again all this praise. He's one of the best players to have ever played this game but all this praise for these last 2 performances is a bit overkill imo.
Where is he? By who?

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
As much as I adored the 'original' Ronaldo (he was my idol growing up) I don't think you can genuinely argue he was at CR's level. Fans love to over hype past 'greats' and I genuinely believe Luis Ronaldo was the best striker of his generation but CR is a different league to pretty much any attacking player I have ever seen bar Messi (hence the eternal debate).
Correct.

Football is about goals and performing. The original Ronaldo can’t even touch Cristiano, some people live in denial of that fact but it’s true.