Ronaldo Replacements

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Gnabry and Dybala.

United may need to look long-term but they also need an immediate short-term fix if Ronaldo leaves, there's no point going through a season with Rashford or Martial upfront. It will almost guarantee they finish outside the top 4 and just set the project back a year.

Gnabry would be a great signing anyway I think, used to playing on the right-hand side, in his prime and can provide a source of goals whilst being versatile enough to play across the front 3 where needed.

Dybala isn't ideal but considering he's a free agent, if you can nail him down to only a 3+1 type of deal so you aren't necessarily tied to him long-term I think he'd be a worthwhile signing for now.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Just amazed at the number of people who have decided Ronaldo never really did anything for us. I suggest a look at his stats. he's probably scored more career hat tricks than some people score goals.

Yes, I hate that he wants to leave but not all players United sign are in love with the club as we (or at least most of us) are. For some, it is a career/job. Some want to be somewhere where they win things (surely, that is what attracted lots of people to us since the start of the PL). It's not really how I behave (I'll take almost anyone who'll have me, ha ha) but football isn't like most of the jobs we have.

But some people here throw their toys out of the pram every time someone wants to leave United. I didn't even get angry when Heinze wanted away. to me, it's just a fact of life. It's not treason.

One thing I'd say: do we think SAF, if reports are correct that it was he who talked Ronaldo into coming back, would like him to stay at least one more season...?

RVN1991

If Ronaldo wants to Leave.. Send him to Bayern and get Serge Gnabry in return who has 1 year left on his deal. Sign Dybala on a free to compete with Rashford/Martial for CF spot. I'd even consider bringing Neymar on Loan if PSG paid most of his wages, if ETH wanted him to be a part of the project.

It would inject more quality at a low cost that wouldn't eat up a substantial portion of the transfer budget, while still allowing to move on from a few players next year as ETH continues to reshape the squad.
No chance Bayern would want anything to do with Ronaldo, especially at the expense of gnabry. Also dybala and Neymar would hardly be low cost options considering their wages. Would rather the club stay as far away from those two as possible. Just play Bruno as a false nine, bring a RW and please no Martial.

b82REZ

Well, I call that a desire to win. But I do understand that that no longer matters to some in the upper echelons of the club
The two things aren't mutually exclusive.

Our board are parasitic cnuts, but that doesn't change the fact that Ronaldo has dropped us like a bad habit in order to boost his personal accolades.

He could have been a little more humble and seen the challenge involved to get us back to the top as his last hurrah. Instead he has decided to throw our preparations into disarray by going AWOL and essentially handing in a transfer request.

I doubt many United fans would have begrudged him leaving, had he gone about it with a modicum of respect for the club. Rather he has now made the mood around the club even more toxic and made it all about him.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It definitely feels like a real line being drawn from the "galactico" type era.
Real Madrid went through it, and won more once they'd changed their policy.

Swordsman

I've asked this a number of times in the other transfer thread for Ronaldo and no one seems to able to address it.

Who is a realistic replacement for him? He absolutely will have to be replaced, there's no way we can rely upon Rashford or Martial at CF as neither like playing there and both have struggled in the role.

Before folks answer with any old random name, lets try consider someone who would fit our style of play for ETH and within budget.

If the transfer rumors are true we have​
FDJ signed for €65m​
Malacia signed for €15m​
Martinez & Antony are both being quoted at the 40-45m bracket​
That means we'd of spent 170m on 4 players with basically no room at all for a CF - Again I'm saying IF here.​
Centre Forward Options:​
Nkunku has signed a new deal with a 70m release clause I believe (Stand to be corrected)?​
Schick has signed a new deal also.​
Neymar is not someone I'd want near the club for any number of reasons.​
Lewa seems off to sunny Spain (Barca).​
Dybala - No thanks​
Osimhen - Not sure not seen much of him myself, I imagine he's out of the price range after the other 4 signings (if they get done).​
Abraham - Likely out of the price range too.​
Personally I'm struggling here to think of suitable replacements that I could realistically see playing for us next season.​
Is Dybala really a centre forward ? I always thought he is a classic No. 10 ?

Swordsman

If we sign Antony then we will not sign a striker. I have a feeling that Antony and Sancho will play on wings with Martial and Rashford playing at no9.
We will not have money for striker and winger after we spend 100 mil on De Jong and Lisandro. Plus Eriksen and Malacia.
Unless we sell someone for big money
and who can we sell for Big Money ???

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Just amazed at the number of people who have decided Ronaldo never really did anything for us.

All that goes out the window tbh. He is about to leave the club that gave him everything after 1 year just because the previous season didn't go to plan.

He is purely selfish. He only wants to leave for his own benefit and ego. Nothing to do with the club being a mess, it's just a convenient excuse for him to use.

I never truly believed he cared for the club like he tried to make out, and this just proves it. I hope we sell him to Chelsea tbh. Give them the Virus instead.

kthanksbye

Torino must be kicking themselves when they had the chance to make like 60m a few season's ago, when Laca Lukaku and Morata were moving clubs, if I remember clearly Milan wanted him for around 50m.

Banat

We were linked with Danny Ings earlier. He could be quite useful and I imagine he wouldn't cost a fortune.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
We were linked with Danny Ings earlier. He could be quite useful and I imagine he wouldn't cost a fortune.
Doubt ten hag would be after Ings. Sounds made up. I heard Shane Long’s available? Can run. Doesn’t score much.

TheReligion

Abusive
Centre Forward Options:​
Nkunku has signed a new deal with a 70m release clause I believe (Stand to be corrected)?​
Schick has signed a new deal also.​
Neymar is not someone I'd want near the club for any number of reasons.​
Lewa seems off to sunny Spain (Barca).​
Dybala - No thanks​
Osimhen - Not sure not seen much of him myself, I imagine he's out of the price range after the other 4 signings (if they get done).​
Abraham - Likely out of the price range too.​
Id take Neymar. He’d be great at the right price and given a new lease of life.

Jonathan David
Patrick Schick
Aleksander Isak

They would be my next three.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Who are feasible options though?
- Osimhen?
- Schik?
- Isak?
- Lautaro Martinez?
- DCL?
This is the issue.

Osimhen - Napoli notoriously difficult to buy from, would cost a fortune.
Schik - Just signed a new contract
Isak - Talented player but on the basis of last season and lack of goals I don't think he's ready yet
Martinez - Superb but committed to Inter and would cost a bomb
DCL - Good option but is he what you'd want long-term? Also coming off a bad season filled with injuries.

There simply aren't any top class options really. The best bet is to play it short-term and hope Martinez or Osimhen are available next summer when United might have a bit more money to spend on a striker. Or that somebody new emerges like Nunez did this year.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
This is the issue.

Osimhen - Napoli notoriously difficult to buy from, would cost a fortune.
Schik - Just signed a new contract
Isak - Talented player but on the basis of last season and lack of goals I don't think he's ready yet
Martinez - Superb but committed to Inter and would cost a bomb
DCL - Good option but is he what you'd want long-term? Also coming off a bad season filled with injuries.

There simply aren't any top class options really. The best bet is to play it short-term and hope Martinez or Osimhen are available next summer when United might have a bit more money to spend on a striker. Or that somebody new emerges like Nunez did this year.
True.. Ive seen also Scamacca opted but he looks PSG bound, as well as Jonathan David, but I dont know him well enough...

Considering everone available I dont think its strange to end up at Dybala.. I dont have any worries about him as a player or him being able to perform in the PL as I think when fit he is a cracking player, but I do worry about his physique in general as he has had quite some muscle injuries over the last couple of years.. That would make me a bit hesitant to go over board for him in wages and contract length..

If we were to sign a top striker Lautaro Martinez would be a great option indeed..

BlueHaze

Sending him to Chelsea will make them worse than last season.

It would actually be a good move.
I don't even think his body can take another full year of PL football. He'll most likely be out many times with various injuries. At Chelsea though he prob won't even put a shift in anyways just lurk around the box like a hyena.

Loon

:lol:
ten Hag obviously had a forward in mind for Ajax in the event of losing his players when he was there. The argument could be made that "incoming Ajax players are not United quality", but they're not United prices either and we could go for one of them?

NoPace

I haven't seen much of Brobbey but 7 goals for Ten Hag in 400 Eredivisie minutes is pretty damn promising. Obviously bench strikers score at a bit higher rate (particularly for a dominant team in a non-defensive league) and that's a tiny sample, but that's obscene.

Keefy18

Is Dybala really a centre forward ? I always thought he is a classic No. 10 ?
Not a traditional #9 no, but there are some rumors we've opened talks with his agents the last few days... the wages mooted seem fair enough so I wouldn't be against it.