Ronaldo wasn’t the problem….

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Let’s not kid ourselves that he wasn’t A problem that needed dealing with. He was the opposite of a team player and his legs have gone for that level

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Why is anyone talking about Ronaldo ffs? At this stage I'd have Hojland over him every day of the week.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Ronaldo was a problem. Of course United's situation is a collective of a range of problems going back over a decade, compounded by more recent issues which seem to be undoing any progress shown in the 2022/23 season.

We're a mess, but we can be a mess with or without Ronaldo. His abilities in 2023 in the Premier League would never take us any further.

fallengt

Ronaldo was so amazing that whole europe rejected him. Sure he wasn't

Jund

I like the "his legs were gone for that level".

What level is this exactly? Cause he seems to fit perfectly here right now.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Ronaldo was a problem. Now the problem is that ETH does not deal with problems as he used to

Scottynaldinho

Why is anyone talking about Ronaldo ffs? At this stage I'd have Hojland over him every day of the week.
He was shit. That was a problem.
Almost everyone fail to see the irony of this situation.

Ronaldo wasn't the problem he just wasn't good enough for the level. The problem is that the other half of the story, deemed as the savior, is also shit and out of his depth.

KeanoMagicHat

feck off with the bump. He was the problem at the time and that doesn't change. He went on TV and undermined the club, angling for a way out. United improved when he left and finished 3rd. His main season as main man United finished distant 6th. He created a circus where all headlines would be about him every week if he was subbed, even if it was for his benefit to rest his legs, completely undermining a new manager. Move on.

Chairman Steve

He wanted to get sacked hence why he talked to Piers Morgan. There’s a reason nobody in Europe wanted him and why he’s out in Saudi now.

He was a problem but we have tonnes of problems from top to bottom.

city-puma

He costed Ole‘s job and resulted in the sharp turn to the original upward trend and long term strategy by a new, complete reset again, thanks to the idiotic upper structure of the club. He should be shamed by his inner ego.

Hughie77

Of course he was.. it was just another Glazer by to make money.. its wasn't needed the guy was the greatest player in the world, and he should never have come back..
Let's just move on from this.. this is why we can't progress always looking back, since when have we turned into the scousers.

lsd

The Oracle
He was a problem but not the problem. Sadly we still have the problem managing us

frostbite

At this point, I can imagine ETH showing clips of Wout to Ronaldo and telling him "Do you see Wout? That's exactly how I want you to play!"

(Just like Moyes with Rio and Jagielka)

KeanoMagicHat

At this point, I can imagine ETH showing clips of Wout to Ronaldo and telling him "Do you see Wout? That's exactly how I want you to play!"

(Just like Moyes with Rio and Jagielka)
Wout was not the problem either though, by the same logic since we've got worse since he left.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Ronaldo was part of the problem but the problem has not gone away. At least in his interview he made clear what the main problem was - the owners.

Rojow

He would never accept the bench. An that was a huge problem.

RazorOz

He wasn't the solution either though. A lot of what Ronaldo said in that interview about the club was true, the point I imagine he misses though is that signing him was also a symptom of those problems/decline in the club, if we'd been flying as a club there's no chance we'd have wanted Ronaldo back. His signing itself showed the lack of long term planning at the club.

AFC NimbleThumb

He wasn't the solution either though. A lot of what Ronaldo said in that interview about the club was true, the point I imagine he misses though is that signing him was also a symptom of those problems/decline in the club, if we'd been flying as a club there's no chance we'd have wanted Ronaldo back. His signing itself showed the lack of long term planning at the club.
We had Varane, Casemiro & Ronaldo all post Real on a downward trajectory. Says it all really.

Eddy_JukeZ

Not the problem, but definitely a problem and glad to be rid of.

He was a disgrace with his antics and he's no longer good enough.

Tyrion

Not saying that he was upto the level to start every week. But he wasn't the problem and everything thing he said about the club during that interview was true.
Noone said he was wrong. He was just out of line saying it publicly.

Bucephalus74

Supports
Arsenal
Honestly, feel a little bit bad for him--or at least as bad as a guy can feel for a guy who made generational money and won multiple Ballons d'Or. At the end, he was still in shape. Still would have been elite if football was being played by circa-2015 standards. It happened to good-great lesser lights like Ozil and Auba, too. Offensive players suddenly had other duties, too. If CR7 came up today, I have no doubt that he could do the pressing and hold up play that the Peps and Klopps demand. Sadly, he wasn't used to it, and he was still very, very good, but modern football just past his position by.

ManUtd1999

Not the problem, but definitely a problem and glad to be rid of.

He was a disgrace with his antics and he's no longer good enough.
I would take him over most of our attacking players, you know those who can’t score a goal in 10 league games.

Blood Mage

He wasn't the main problem but he was still a shadow of the player he was and not at the required level for this league.

Eddy_JukeZ

I would take him over most of our attacking players, you know those who can’t score a goal in 10 league games.
He was miles worse than all of them while he was here.

What he's doing now in a terrible league relatively is completely irrelevant.

He is finished as a top level player.

ManUtd1999

He was miles worse than all of them while he was here.

What he's doing now in a terrible league relatively is completely irrelevant.

He is finished as a top level player.
He was our player of the year in 2022, just months before leaving. I believe that he would’ve scored more than zero goals this year.

But, he’s gone, and that chapter is closed. In the meantime, we can patiently wait for the “modern football” and the super stars in our team, who are “miles” better than Ronaldo, to execute it.

city-puma

We had Varane, Casemiro & Ronaldo all post Real on a downward trajectory. Says it all really.
I sometimes suspect the Glazers have the behind-the-scene business dealings with Real Madrid. It’s like they accessed the credit facilities to borrow a huge amount of money in order to send them to RM! I’m kidding though.

Tyrion

I sometimes suspect the Glazers have the behind-the-scene business dealings with Real Madrid. It’s like they accessed the credit facilities to borrow a huge amount of money in order to send them to RM! I’m kidding though.
Why kid about it? There must be some explanation. Corruption seems as likely as such monumental incompetence.