Ronaldo's debut vs. Bolton (Aug 16, 2003)

The giddy excitement of seeing this, as well as Rooney at his first European Championship knowing he was ours, really miss those days.

The only thing that has come close ever since was Martial's debut.
Macheda was brilliant. The impact of that goal more so than the performance itself, that was electric.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
we all know who turned out to be the better player, but in no way was Ronaldo’s debut better than Rooney’s - that is revisionism and bias all wrapped into one.
Ronaldo's was more exciting, partly because of how unknown he was and partly because the stuff he was doing was completely unexpected. So a lot of people (including myself) remember that debut more fondly. Rooney's was more effective but it wasn't as exciting (as strange as that sounds for an 18yo scoring a hattrick on debut).

Ronaldo's was more exciting, partly because of how unknown he was and partly because the stuff he was doing was completely unexpected. So a lot of people (including myself) remember that debut more fondly. Rooney's was more effective but it wasn't as exciting (as strange as that sounds for an 18yo scoring a hattrick on debut).
perhaps, although I disagree.

there are a handful of games where I remember exactly where I was at the time, and the Rooney debut was one of them.

as I had said, Ronaldo was essentially unknown, whilst we all knew and had seen Rooney play, but I don’t believe that that upstages Rooney’s debut. And clearly, because this is the way the Caf thinks, I’m not saying Ronaldo’s debut was anything other than brilliant, just not as good.

Chairman Steve

I remember his debut being somewhat eye-catching and people were focused on him being the Beckham replacement. I remember people being dazzled by the footwork and wondered how it would be put into practice in time.

Rooneys debut against Fenerbahce is by far the best Utd debut I’ve seen in my time.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
perhaps, although I disagree.

there are a handful of games where I remember exactly where I was at the time, and the Rooney debut was one of them.

as I had said, Ronaldo was essentially unknown, whilst we all knew and had seen Rooney play, but I don’t believe that that upstages Rooney’s debut. And clearly, because this is the way the Caf thinks, I’m not saying Ronaldo’s debut was anything other than brilliant, just not as good.
It was the ability Ronaldo showed. I felt I’d seen the future best player in the world. With Rooney I didn’t feel that way although it was a phenomenal debut in itself, Ronaldo looked that level above despite not scoring a hat trick.

It wasn’t being unknown for me. It was that level of talent, I’d seen for other teams, Zidane, Maradona, Ronaldo 9 etc...and being sure we had a player who could develop to that level himself.

It was the ability Ronaldo showed. I felt I’d seen the future best player in the world. With Rooney I didn’t feel that way although it was a phenomenal debut in itself, Ronaldo looked that level above despite not scoring a hat trick.

It wasn’t being unknown for me. It was that level of talent, I’d seen for other teams, Zidane, Maradona, Ronaldo 9 etc...and being sure we had a player who could develop to that level himself.
as I say we disagree.

he was exciting, and again a brilliant debut, but Rooney’s better.

that’s what is exciting about football, different opinions.