Rooney’s best partnership

El Jefe

I was thinking about this earlier and in his time here Rooney played with some terrific players up front and out wide and had a great understanding with many of them.

What was the best duo he was part of in his time here. Just to list some of the names he had a great partnership with Tevez, Chicharito, Ronaldo, Van Nistelrooy, Valencia, RVP, Welbeck.

I think this is a really tough one and shows how great of a player Rooney was for his ability to play and mesh well with so many types of players.

So what duo are you going for and why?

Last edited:
If it's purely duo, I'd go Ronaldo.

I always thought they meshed extremely well.

I was thinking about this earlier and in his time here Rooney played with some terrific players up front and out wide and had a great understanding with many of them.

What was the best duo he was part of in his time here. Just to list some of the names he had a great partnership with Tevez, Chicharito, Ronaldo, Van Nistelrooy, Valencia, RVP, Welbeck.

I think this is a really tough one and shows how great of a player Rooney was for his ability to play and mesh well with so many times of players.

So what duo are you going for and why?
Mad that Rooney played with Ruud and Rashford. In my mind that’s far bigger than a 10 year gap between the two.

Whoever he partnered in the 2009-10 season.
Valencia’s right foot?

Whoever he partnered in the 2009-10 season.
While he played alone up top that season and didn’t have a fellow striker, his partnership with Valencia was unbelievable for a period. I believe Rooney scored 10 headers in a row and most were from Valencia crosses.

I knew I forgot someone in the OP. Their partnership through the whole calendar year of 2006 was beautiful. Definitely has a strong case to be the best.
Yeah his injuries were a real shame

They played together very briefly, but him and Larsson had a really good understanding together.

Liverpool had this academy midfielder that they were weirdly convinced was gonna be great.. Spearing I think?

Anyway, the partnership of Rooney and Giggs pretty much ended his top flight career after they just tore him apart one game, effectively playing as a pair of tens behind Welbeck. Old man Giggs was really good at building onfield relationships.

Rooney was too, in fairness. Probably why there's so many viable answers to the question. Just thought I'd throw in another name, particularly since Giggs and Rooney combined for 25 goals - more than the ones already mentioned.

I'd say between Saha and Chicarito if we're talking about pure strikers. I thought his best form was 10/11 in terms of his all around game so I'd go for Chicarito.

As the op mentions it does show how good Rooney was as it felt like you could play him alongside anyone and he'd bring out their best
Absolutely, but as an individual player, I’d watch the Rooney of the first few seasons any day. Insane talent.

Tevez. Rooney himself said that was his favourite player to play with.

Definitely Saha. Perfect foil for him. Shame it was so short lived. Best football I've seen a Utd team play was the first half of that brilliant 06-07 season.

I always looked forward to Rooney Tevez

Rooney:
"I just loved our connection. The two of us up front, we complimented each other really well.

"Normally if I played with Louis Saha, Ruud van Nistelrooy or Robin van Persie – these strikers were always the No9 and I'd play as a No10.

"With Tevez we could rotate, I'd be the No9, he'd take the No9 spot and I'd be No10. When we lost the ball we'd be like two bulls trying to get it back.

"As a strike partner, he was the one I enjoyed playing with the most."

"I just loved our connection. The two of us up front, we complimented each other really well.

"we could rotate, I'd be the No9, he'd take the No9 spot and I'd be No10. When we lost the ball we'd be like two bulls trying to get it back.

Very progressive <3

Rooney may well be the most proven eclectic forward of the modern era; #9; #10; wings; centre-forward; provider; counter-attacking; short passing, combination football; long-range finder passing to a CF; hold up player (conduit); the question to ask is: has there been a style of football he didn't play and prove himself in within the myriad of roles and partners he played with?

Heskey, Saha, Ruud and Ronaldo were all really effortless.

I think this is my favourite combination goal of his career:

Isn't he on record as saying his favourite partner of all-time was Heskey?

For me, the four above, you could pick out of a hat and give a different answer on any given day. For today, I'll go with Ruud.

Bringing in Larsson destroyed the Saha/Rooney combo. Probably unpopular but Saha never was the same after the Larsson signing. Ronaldo/Rooney/Saha was better than Ronaldo/Rooney/Tevez

Ronaldo-Rooney-Tevez was the best front line ever. I doubt we will see something like this ever again. It's a pity we could not keep them together for 5 years, we'd have won another treble.

Bringing in Larsson destroyed the Saha/Rooney combo. Probably unpopular but Saha never was the same after the Larsson signing. Ronaldo/Rooney/Saha was better than Ronaldo/Rooney/Tevez
Saha can’t be trusted to play with questions over his fitness, it had nothing to do with Larsson.

But a fit Saha has us playing some of the best football I’ve ever seen at this club.

Ronaldo without a doubt. We were a frightening force when we had ronaldo, rooney, tevez and berbatov leading our attack lines. We literally tear apart teams with ease. We had one of the best players in the world for various attacking attributes: finishing, headers, ball control, work rate, pace, acceleration, killer passes etc.
Looking at our options now made me depressed.

youtu.be/g6Zmll4bbGw?si=LhR1S1NwACOsNo8U

It's not a duo, but Rooney, Tevez, Ronaldo 2008 were devastating.

@frostbite ... Just beat me to it!
This was peak Man Utd in Rooney era for me.

Park Ji Sung and Giggs shoring up the left hand side, Scholes and Carrick shoring up the centre, Fletcher and Canadian Englishman the right.