Rooney Elbow

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Yes the FA should treat everybody the same etc and they are useless but the only reason why he'll be punished is because he purposely elbowed somebody in the head.....no conspiracy or agenda - he assaulted somebody on the pitch with hundreds of cameras and thousands of people watching.

No excuse.
I know. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve it and shouldn't get punished based on his actions. I'm saying he doesn't based on the FA's incompetence and inconsistency.

If he's out the next 3 games and Chicharito does well, Rooney should be relegated to the bench the rest of the season unless he proves he deserves to be on the pitch and won't feck it up by assaulting someone.

Leg-End

Exactly, things like this happen week in week out but because its Rooney the whole thing becomes a massive issue in which we have to have every man on the planet who has ever watched a game of football tell us its thuggish.

It was twatish, he got very lucky but christ almighty you would think he was the only player to have ever done it, ever.

jrsenior

The defender clearly tries to block Rooneys run, Rooney uses his elbow to brush him aside. There`s elbows used in most games to fend of players from headers and stuff, you rarely see red cards given. The ref should have given a yellow imho.

Claymore

Baning on about Rooney's elbow for another 10 minutes on MOTD2 now. John Hartson rightly said iyou can't defend what he did, which I agree with but then later went on to say "its not about Wayne Rooney, we'd be discussing it in this depth no matter what player or what league", yeah right. The fact its Rooney, England and United player does mean it gets more attention IMO.

Loads and loads of things, worse and not so worse get let go every week in fixtures but they are desperate for him to get banned.

I posted that in the football MOTD thread. Its true though, the Gerrard one was mentioned no where near to the extent this one is, which is funny because he's a similar profile size to Rooney. I guess its not JUST about club or country they play for, wages etc, its about many wanting Rooney to be suspended for key games coming up to make the league interesting. Sounds a bit conspiracy but what else could it be.

Deserved to be sent of but the witch hunt is a bit OTT IMO.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
The fact he's throwing inexplicable elbows like that tell me his head just is not in the right place. There was no reason for it and I just don't know what he was thinking. It was mindless madness and I hope Fergie bollocked him for it.

redwhiteblack

The only type of punishment Rooney should be getting is from the club.

It was a stupid, petulant, reactionary lash out but the referee GAVE WIGAN A FREE KICK, if he didn't see it then what was he giving Wigan a freekick for??

Any after talk is purely playing into the media's anti-United hands. The ref gave a freekick, Rooney was lucky, we were lucky. Move on and don't feed the fire.

Aint gota Kalou

The fact he's throwing inexplicable elbows like that tell me his head just is not in the right place. There was no reason for it and I just don't know what he was thinking. It was mindless madness and I hope Fergie bollocked him for it.
He's done things like that before though hasn't he? It's just frustration, obviously he shouldn't of reacted but he's always been a bit like that. He was playing shit as was the team at the time.

vuc

First Team Serb
To be honest he can't be doing that, and if the ref hasn't seen it and it goes to the FA and they ban him.. well he has no one to blame but himself.

izzydiggler

Just reading that Clattenberg hasn't delivered his report yet. If true, this is outrageous. Is this normal protocol? If so, it means that every referee can read the media, study the images and footage and no doubt be influenced before writing their reports.

Still think Rooney should be banned but just goes to show how fecked up the whole process is.

Just reminds me of the 'rules' that meant Fletcher missed the CL final. It's the complete disregard of doing what's right and blindly following rules, which pisses people off.

izzydiggler

Just reading that Clattenberg hasn't delivered his report yet. If true, this is outrageous. Is this normal protocol? If so, it means that every referee can read the media, study the images and footage and no doubt be influenced before writing their reports.

Still think Rooney should be banned but just goes to show how fecked up the whole process is.

Just reminds me of the 'rules' that meant Fletcher missed the CL final. It's the complete disregard of doing what's right and blindly following rules, which pisses people off.
Graham Poll has claimed that Clattenberg would have phoned a report on the way home from the game, so who knows.

The procedure should be clearly documented for all to read.

kundalini

I would have thought the key question at this point is do United accept a 3 match ban, making Rooney unavailable for Chelsea and Liverpool, or contest it and get a 4 match ban instead but have Rooney available for the Chelsea game ?

Forever Red

Any punishment should be from the club. Clattenburg dealt with the matter at the time , surely he cant 'do' him again for the same offence

izzydiggler

I would have thought the key question at this point is do United accept a 3 match ban, making Rooney unavailable for Chelsea and Liverpool, or contest it and get a 4 match ban instead but have Rooney available for the Chelsea game ?
According to MOTD sources, he won't be punished. Graham Poll also claims that to ban him, would go against previous cases so it looks as if he'll be ok.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Rooney could face a three match ban for that elbow. So he could miss the matches against Chelsea and Liverpool away and the home away against Arsenal/Orient in the FA Cup. A bad timing to get suspended when the next week is so vital to our title chances.

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | Sport | Football

Referee Mark Clattenburg's explanation of why he awarded Wigan a free-kick following Wayne Rooney's clash with James McCarthy will determine whether the Manchester United striker ends up facing a three-match ban.

Latics boss Roberto Martinez was incensed by the sight of Rooney smacking his elbow into the back of McCarthy's head and sought out Clattenburg for an explanation at half-time.

The Durham official told Martinez he felt there had been "a coming together", something he appeared to indicate through hand gestures at the time. That cut little ice with the Wigan manager, who felt the decision was straightforward, a view endorsed by Match of the Day duo Alan Hansen and Mark Lawrenson when they analysed the incident.

The only obvious way round this for Clattenburg when he sends in his official match report would be to state he saw the clash, but not the elbow.

Even then, the FA would be within their rights to ask exactly why he gave the free-kick considering, without the elbow incident, McCarthy had moved towards Rooney rather than the other way round.

If Clattenburg says he saw the entire clash fully, Rooney will escape sanction, although a three-match ban could see him miss this week's Premier League games with Chelsea and Liverpool, plus the FA Cup sixth round tie against either Arsenal or Leyton Orient.

Sir Alex Ferguson's initial reaction was to steel himself for a media backlash, which duly arrived from Hansen and Lawrenson.

"Every picture tells a story and sometimes you can't defend the indefensible," Lawrenson said.

And Hansen added: "He (Rooney) is in big trouble. You can't argue with the pictures. There is some conjecture about whether the referee saw the incident or not. Is he looking at the ball? Categorically, he is not looking at the incident. He is looking at the ball.

"McCarthy takes a step to his left to try and block Wayne. He (Rooney) swings the elbow. He has thrown the elbow, smacked him on the head and should have been off."

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
That's nothing we didn't already know, it all depends on what Clattenburg says he saw. And if he didn't see it what the feck did he award a freekick for?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
A collision which he deemed as caused by Rooney, he didn't see the actual violent conduct.
Well you don't know what he did or didn't see until he tells people by way of his match report. But if he didn't see the actual incident then there was nothing worth giving a freekick for, without the flying arm it was McCarthy barging into Rooney if anything.

phelans shorts

Well you don't know what he did or didn't see until he tells people by way of his match report. But if he didn't see the actual incident then there was nothing worth giving a freekick for, without the flying arm it was McCarthy barging into Rooney if anything.
I was just guessing as with anything else, that was a reason why he may have given the free kick without a card for the elbow.

redwhiteblack

A collision which he deemed as caused by Rooney, he didn't see the actual violent conduct.
If he saw any kind of coming together (which he obviously did since he gave a Wigan freekick) then he must of seen the arm from Rooney because that was the coming together.

There's nothing they can do about it now, it's ridiculously irresponsible of the media coverage this one incident is getting. No one's injured, the ref gave a freekick to Wigan. Don't buy into the media bullshit.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I thought you were saying that was definitively what he had seen.

He could claim that but then he'd look even more incompetent to be quite frank. The whole system of what he saw/thought he saw/dealt with etc etc is bullshit, even if he deemed it worthy of just a telling off he was wrong, the FA should be stepping in and doing something about shit like this. They just have to be consistent with it, which is where they fall down repeatedly.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year

Robbie Boy

Strange, on MOTD they showed Clattenburg's view and it didn't look like he saw it at all, he was focusing on where the ball was being played.

Shimo

So are they reviewing Caldwell's stamp on Evra where he clearly goes to try and hurt him in this same game? Clattenburg saw that incident but, obviously he didn't see the intent behind it or would have carded him or more appropriately sent him off?

Even our own supporters are more focused on this issue because it's Rooney when simple fact is there are a lot of incidents that happen in a game where ref may not have seen it properly but, once a foul is called and no card is produced , there isn't any review except when the media dogs dwell on it.

SecondFig

So to summarise:

No ban, no ban, ban?
Maybe, but obviously it should be ban, ban, ban - all three are clearly red card offences.

I've no problem with Rooney being given a 3 match ban - but as you point out it's the consistency that is so horrendously absent.

Bryan_Munich

Aka RichieRich12
Dermot Gallagher says that in his professional opinion that there will be no further action as he expects Clattenburg to say he saw the incident and dealt with it during the game.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Rooney deserves to get banned however why is there a lot of moral outrage over this tackle