Rooney retaliation or facts?

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Pep is very strict about player positioning. I remember Henry once saying Pep got angry after he scored because he run into the wrong area. I think Rooney would have made Pep start growing hair just so he can go grey
:lol: :lol:

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Both players definitely have a very high opinion of themselves and think they were better than they actually were (but tbf to Rooney he was at least 10 times better and more talented than Neville).

Ronaldo was definitely a better player than Rooney already in 2007/08.
But Ronaldo and Haaland together probably would be overkill so maybe Rooney backs himself to play together with Haaland over Ronaldo.

Same way despite Haaland being individually better than Rooney or Tevez, I wouldn’t take him ahead of either in the 2007/08 team. Our front 3 plus midfield had a great chemistry so why change it?
KdB the only player I would take and even then the question is ahead of who?

Same with City, they could take those 2007/08 players, but ahead of who?
Bit harsh on Neville, he's never claimed to be a talented player that I'm aware of, but there's no question he was the most effective RB in the PL of his time and he also knew when it was time to quit unlike some we could mention

AlPistacho

Bit harsh on Neville, he's never claimed to be a talented player that I'm aware of, but there's no question he was the most effective RB in the PL of his time and he also knew when it was time to quit unlike some we could mention
Yeah. Probably underrated as a footballer, I remember he was quite good at getting forward, and would overlap with Beckham. Also I think he started out as a CB but was to to small so played RB.

Hughie77

I think the front 3 in 2008 would get into the City side , best front 3 we've had , Rooney Ronny Tevez. Scary how they tore team apart.

HarryP

I think the front 3 in 2008 would get into the City side , best front 3 we've had , Rooney Ronny Tevez. Scary how they tore team apart.
I think this is a bit of a myth.

They hardly ever played together as part of a fluid front 3. In home games against weaker opponents, SAF would usually play a 4-4-2 with Ronaldo on the left and Rooney + Tevez as the CFs. He also set up like this in the 1st half of the CL final v Chelsea in 08 but that was an exception rather than the rule.

In tricky away games, he'd usually play a fairly defensive 4-5-1 with Rooney largely ineffective as an attacking force on the wing (he didn't have the dribbling ability or pace to be a threat in that role)

Ronaldo/Rooney/Tevez were never a settled trio in the way Messi/Neymar/Suarez or Salah/Mane/Firmino were for example. They had some great moments but there was never a consistent routine or pattern with regards how the 3 played together.

Theonas

Scout

They hardly ever played together as part of a fluid front 3. In home games against weaker opponents, SAF would usually play a 4-4-2 with Ronaldo on the left and Rooney + Tevez as the CFs. He also set up like this in the 1st half of the CL final v Chelsea in 08 but that was an exception rather than the rule.

In tricky away games, he'd usually play a fairly defensive 4-5-1 with Rooney largely ineffective as an attacking force on the wing (he didn't have the dribbling ability or pace to be a threat in that role)

Ronaldo/Rooney/Tevez were never a settled trio in the way Messi/Neymar/Suarez or Salah/Mane/Firmino were for example. They had some great moments but there was never a consistent routine or pattern with regards how the 3 played together.
Good post! We were an amazing team but that came from mainly having so many weapons up front and a rock solid defensive backline with a midfield that sat a bit deeper than Fergie's previous teams as he could trust the best individual talent up front he ever had to put more resources into defensive solidity. We didn't have a set pattern of playing, we had creative talent in the form of Rooney, Tevez, Ronaldo, Nani and Anderson who usually came up with the goods. We sometimes used one (Ronaldo) and on others 3. We did have amazing defenders but they were also greatly helped by keeping more bodies behind to help. One of the biggest things we suffered from when Ronaldo and Tevez left was that we suddenly started going back to pushing more people up front to make up for the offensive decrease in potency which exposed our backline more than it ever did in 08 and 09.

Hughie77

Yes fergie played 4-4-2 .. those 3 didn't play as as a 3 but they scored like a front 3. CL final 2008 all played all effective. 4-3-3 formation became popular after SAF . Its just a comparison on those 3 players in a city side.

AndySmith1990

These discussions about which players gets into which team are nonsense. It's the same lazy mentality that has seen us assemble a mishmash of expensive individuals that come together to create less than the sum of its parts. Ferguson chose the 08 players because together they complimented each other and formed a fantastic team. Pep has done the same with City. The 08 team would absolutely be challenging this City team for the title, and the CL. But randomly swapping players around between each team wouldn't necessarily leave you with something better

AlPistacho

Great point. Never thought about it but now you’ve said it makes sense.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Not sure why but the thread title sounds like it could also be the title of Rooney's autobiography.

Valencia Shin Crosses

So Rooney has recently said that 4 players from the United team of 2008 would get into this current City team.
Scholes, Vidic, Rio & Himself.
Omitting one obvious name. Is he speaking facts or having a little dig at Ronaldo over the jealous and ugly comments?

I think by 08 Scholes was too old, Rooney by 08 had not developed into a player who European coaches wanted. Rio & Vidic would probably get in, Ronaldo over Halaand similar goals but CR7 at that time offered much more, I also think Tevez would have had a chance.
CR7 and Rio both walk into that team without a second thought. The rest are more on Pep's preference. Rooney was unbelievable but would Pep prefer one of his possession minions more? Vidic is similar, world class defender but I'm not sure if Pep would prefer the on ball proficiencies of his own players more. Scholes could no doubt even he runs enough.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Ronaldo really doesn't suit Guardiola's style. Scholes defo could play, he would be a good fit, Rio and vidic are simply better than what City have, but maybe vidic isn't good enough on the ball. I have mixed feelings about if rooney would fit his style.
Neither did Haaland, but Pep tweaked the team to conform to him. I think with Ronaldo Pep would basically stick those two up top in a pseudo 442 and surround them with Rodri, De Bruyne, Bernardo, and Gundogan and just eviscerate teams. The amount of isolated 1v1s' Ronaldo would get from City's progression would be absurd, he'd torture defenders

arnie_ni

08 Ronaldo is the first name on any teamsheet in the world

Hammondo

Neither did Haaland, but Pep tweaked the team to conform to him. I think with Ronaldo Pep would basically stick those two up top in a pseudo 442 and surround them with Rodri, De Bruyne, Bernardo, and Gundogan and just eviscerate teams. The amount of isolated 1v1s' Ronaldo would get from City's progression would be absurd, he'd torture defenders
I highly doubt he would play both, it would make the team weaker for sure.

Irwin99

These discussions about which players gets into which team are nonsense. It's the same lazy mentality that has seen us assemble a mishmash of expensive individuals that come together to create less than the sum of its parts. Ferguson chose the 08 players because together they complimented each other and formed a fantastic team. Pep has done the same with City. The 08 team would absolutely be challenging this City team for the title, and the CL. But randomly swapping players around between each team wouldn't necessarily leave you with something better
Agree. The teams were/are well constructed for playing certain ways

The 07-08 team was actually not as fun or dynamic to watch as the previous season, 06-07, in my opinion, but my god that team could just sap the will out of the opposition. The roma manager called us something like the "most Italian non-Italian team he'd ever faced" :lol: . and I always remember games like:

• Anfield 1-0 victory,
  • Roma (home) 1-0 win,
  • Roma, (away) 2-0 win
  • Barca (away) 0-0 draw
  • Lyon home 1-0.

We were a team that could just shut out anyone when we needed to. Best defence i've ever seen from a United side, easily.

Big_Bro

What's his fascination with city anyway. Wish his forced move to city went through, sure he must been a satisfied footballer by now.