Rose doing well

oskarutd

Jim confident Rose loan could be extended
by Jon Murray on 15 January 2007

JIM Smith is confident he will be able to extend Danny Rose's loan after the Manchester United youngster gave a dazzling performance for Oxford United at the weekend.

Although the U's were disappointed to be held to a 2-2 draw by Halifax in their FA Trophy tie – which means a replay at The Shay tomorrow night – the game offered great encouragement with both Yemi Odubade and Rose having outstanding attacking games.

Rose, the reserve team captain at Old Trafford, looked a class act and the teenager also grabbed his first senior goal.

Smith said after the match: "I'm seeing Sir Alex tomorrow so he'll be telling me what a good player Danny is.

"It's nice to see a midfield player scoring, and he had another encouraging game.

"The month was Danny's decision, not Alex's or mine, because obviously he's coming from Man Utd and wants to have a look because he didn't know what he was coming into.

"But I can see that he's really enjoying it and I would be surprised if we can't extend the loan."

Rose's quality hasn't gone unnoticed among his new teammates either.

Odubade, who made both goals, said: "Danny's got great ability on the ball. You can tell he's been brought up the Manchester United way.

"He did very well in training and hopefully we can get him playing well in matches, and now he's got his first goal, hopefully that will push him on."

Midfielder Carl Pettefer concurred.

"You can see Danny's a good player, he's got a good touch and is very good technically, and he got a goal today," he said.

"As I'm not scoring any goals at the moment, it will be nice if he popped up with a few more!"

Smith was frustrated by Halifax's late equalising goal from debutant Darryn Stamp which earned the Shaymen a replay, describing it as "sloppy".

It appeared to follow hesitation from U's keeper Billy Turley.

"That's cup football," Smith said.

"We had enough chances again to have had it all wrapped up about 20 minutes into the second half."

"Halifax kept launching the ball and have got big lads up front, but to be fair, Billy's handled most of them well.

"From where I was, I couldn't really see what happened, but it looked an innocuous type ball and we've handled them all afternoon, and the next minute it's in the back of the net.

"I'll have to have a look at the video to see what really happened, but it was a soft goal to give away."

He added: "We didn't want a replay, but we've got one, and we've got to go up there and turn the result around, and win the game."