Ross Barkley? Is he Happy?

JohnnyLaw

He's not a CDM like Carrick or Bakayoko .

It's like people have seen him play. That kind of comparison is like comparing a tractor to a Ferrari. Yes they are both vehicles but that's where it ends.
I never said he was did I?

I even said that Barkley and Pogba as a midfield pivot would be a bad combo defensively, I wish people would read the entire post before getting their knickers in a twist..

MadMike

:lol:

Even more sluggish? What does that refer to, if not workrate? Drinking/smoking everthing directly relates to his physical fitness, so I assume that.

As for 'hasn't' got the legs, it was never a requirement for a #10. History has quite a few stellar #10's who are known for their 'laziness' or lack of workrate. Rui Costa, Riquelme, Rivera, Savicevic etc. Ofc, it's not a direct comparison as Rooney is nowhere near their talent level. But still proves the point equating legwork to ability to play #10 is not always correct.
I use sluggish interchangeably with slow. It's not that he doesn't want to run. It's that he can't.

And yeah, I really liked Roo in his peak but he has nothing on playmaking compared to the greats you mentioned. And slow #10s didn't really cut it in the PL anyway, see Veron. So not sure why you even bring them up.

If you think all of that is OTT then suit yourself, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
If both Barkley and OX are available in the summer, who would you rather see at United?
Interesting, a Fellaini upgrade and a Rooney upgrade...

I'd go for Barkley just because I think he's more exciting and I'd be very interested to see Mourinho coaching him.

I just have a feeling, after seeing Koeman deal with him, that Mourinho would get the best out of him.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
And yeah, I really liked Roo in his peak but he has nothing on playmaking compared to the greats you mentioned. And slow #10s didn't really cut it in the PL anyway, see Veron. So not sure why you even bring them up.

If you think all of that is OTT then suit yourself, we'll just have to agree to disagree.
Nah, forget the OTT part. It'd done.

This is more on discussion on qualifications for being a #10 esp in EPL.

You realize Veron was never an #10 with us? He was part of a 2 man midfield in a 4-4-2.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
I never said he was did I?

I even said that Barkley and Pogba as a midfield pivot would be a bad combo defensively, I wish people would read the entire post before getting their knickers in a twist..
But it still doesn't make any sense.

The choice of whether we sign Bakayoko or not has nothing to do with Barkley. Barkley is more of a 10 .

What was the point of the comparison then?

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
he's pretty shite, would rather avoid a ridiculous price rage for a mediocre talent

buckooo1978

our midfield is short 2 things

1) an intelligent good passer/playmaker - a Scholes/Modric-type - we are crying out for a proper controlling midfielder and neither Pogba or Herrera have the influence or intelligence to do this it would seem - hard to see either doing what Carrick can/could do.

2) a strong defensive midfielder - take your pick who we need - Herrera has some great stats and while he's been a brilliant all-rounder he isn't as strong defensively as some

I don't see Barkley in either of these categories so it's a no for me

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
I said in the unpopular opinions thread that Barkley and Zaha would be stars under Fergie.

Under Jose I'd still take Barkley.

JohnnyLaw

But it still doesn't make any sense.

The choice of whether we sign Bakayoko or not has nothing to do with Barkley. Barkley is more of a 10 .

What was the point of the comparison then?
Because I view them both as central midfielders who's still finding their feet. No one central midfield signing is going to fix our squad for the next season. So it does make sense from an economic perspective aswell for trying to balance the squad experience wise. Also it depends on what tactics we choose to employ.
In a two man midfield Bakayoko would be more suitable signing than Barkley as neither he (Barkley) nor Pogba are defensively specialized (Although there's be better options for this role than Bakayoko aswell, Fabinho for example). However in a 4-3-3, which I'd prefer to see, I'd value a signing of Barkley higher as I think that he's just a better and more well-rounded footballer than Bakayoko.

I just used Bakayoko in this example because he's a player that we've been linked with quite a bit and who's been discussed extensively on here already.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Thought it was his granddad.
Ah, ok.

Pretty cool nonetheless. I wasn't sure if he was like Giggsy, in that he's actually mixed race via his Dad, but I'd had no idea 'til someone told me.

Not that interesting, but would've been class if he'd played for Nigeria, maybe he should've done? Definitely more chance of winning something than with England.

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
Joy to watch of late. He's been playing as a right midfielder with license to drift about and he's in the form of his life. His ability to keep hold of the ball in any situation is ridiculous.

Classical Mechanic

Ah, ok.

Pretty cool nonetheless. I wasn't sure if he was like Giggsy, in that he's actually mixed race via his Dad, but I'd had no idea 'til someone told me.

Not that interesting, but would've been class if he'd played for Nigeria, maybe he should've done? Definitely more chance of winning something than with England.
What, the next U17 World Cup?

bensonjutton

Supports
Everton
He's absolutely on it at the moment, doesn't seem to put a foot wrong and no one can get close to taking the ball off him even in the tightest of spots.

He's the kind of player that people used to moan that England lacked, highly technical and the rare ability (amongst english players) to keep the ball in almost any situation.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I would love Barkley at United.
A quality playmaking holding mid. Pogba LCM, Barkley RCM. :drool::drool::drool:

In fact my dream team for next season (which is not unrealistic at all, I swear) is:

A fluid front three, a sitting CDM, with two direct box to boxers, two solid CBS and two attacking full backs:

Martial _______ Griezmann ______ Mkhitaryan

Pogba ________ Barkley

Weigl

Shaw__________________________________Valencia
Laporte ___________ Bailly

De Gea

Subs: J.Pereira, Blind, Jones, Herrera, Mata, Rasford, Ibrahimovich

I'm so relieved to finally get a fantasy formation in! Now I feel complete. Admittedly needs more Sneijder.

EDITED for Bailly. Smalling dropping out of favour.

Last edited:

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks

In fact my dream team for next season (which is not unrealistic at all, I swear) is:

A fluid front three, a sitting CDM, with two direct box to boxers, two solid CBS and two attacking full backs:

Pogba ________ Barkley

Weigl

Laporte ___________ Jones

De Gea

Subs: J.Pereira, Blind, Smalling, Herrera, Mata, Rasford, Ibrahimovich

I'm so relieved to finally get a fantasy formation in! Now I feel complete. Admittedly needs more Sneijder.
What happened to Bailly

ChichaKagawa

I'd love Barkley at United. Don't know where he'd fit in though.

And did someone just say that Rooney is nowhere near the talent level of Rui Costa, Riquelme, Rivera and Savicevic?

I know the guy is past his best but come on.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I'd love Barkley at United. Don't know where he'd fit in though.

And did someone just say that Rooney is nowhere near the talent level of Rui Costa, Riquelme, Rivera and Savicevic?

I know the guy is past his best but come on.
In terms of technical abilities and intelligence, he isn't close but I'll admit that football is about more than that.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Better than Lingard and Fellaini who both play in a position he'd play.

Better than Herrera who plays in a position he could/kinda does play.

I know there's something to be said for "I'd rather someone else who's better" but that's a different question. He's better than what we have. I'd love to see him at the club.

Seanus

I know there's something to be said for "I'd rather someone else who's better" but that's a different question. He's better than what we have. I'd love to see him at the club.
Not for me-Barklay would struggle to play regularly in any of current top 6-might be one to rotate with Mata this season but we will sign a much better player or 2 in the summer

Revan

Assumptionman

Nope.

Also, not sure that he is better at what Fellaini offers. Mourinho is playing Fellaini exclusively in the last minutes of matches, when we are on the lead and need extra height and strength. And bar that penalty that he gave, he has been quite good at that role.

He's clearly better than Lingard but you don't need to spend 50m pounds to replace Lingard.

JohnnyLaw

Nope.

Also, not sure that he is better at what Fellaini offers. Mourinho is playing Fellaini exclusively in the last minutes of matches, when we are on the lead and need extra height and strength. And bar that penalty that he gave, he has been quite good at that role.

He's clearly better than Lingard but you don't need to spend 50m pounds to replace Lingard.
We should have players who's strenghts go beyond just being tall, Barkley is 1,89 m though so no biggie. And the basis of all this discussion is that he's entering the final year of his contract so unlikely to cost 50 million unless he signs an extension.

lsd

The Oracle
As overrated as England players get and that's a lot .. Another jack Rodwell waiting to end up at Sunderland

Last edited:

Walters_19_MuFc

Pogba ________ Barkley

Weigl

Laporte ___________ Bailly

De Gea

Subs: J.Pereira, Blind, Jones, Herrera, Mata, Rasford, Ibrahimovich

EDITED for Bailly. Smalling dropping out of favour.
:drool::drool::drool:

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
This should be a no-go. Barkley is too similar to Pogba from a functional perspective (except technically weaker and not as good at a lot of other things), and I don't see him thriving with Paul - just like Gerrard and Ballack didn't thrive with Lampard unless they made significant adjustments to their games - which would be counterproductive because Barkley isn't a special enough player to risk a proven template (Pogba + def. box-to-box + holder). Everton will demand top money for him even with his contract situation, and I'd rather United go the extra mile and sign a proper box-to-box with world class potential - like Saúl (who reportedly has a buyout clause of ~£60 million and would be a brilliant foil for Pogba).

Even if you're looking for players with Barkley's profile (tall and strong offensive minded midfielders), United would do well to sign someone like Leon Goretzka instead. More adaptable, likely cheaper because he plays in the Bundesliga and won't be subject to the Premier League premium, a better player right now, and most importantly - he's evidencing quality growth in terms of his tactical awareness and understanding of the game (which bodes well for Goretzka's future and has been a persistent issue with Barkley - all the physical traits in the world but you have to wonder if he just doesn't get it because he takes one step forward, then one step backwards). Could do with another season at Schalke to mature fully and refine his decision-making, but he'll be on a Bosman in 2018:
Contract until: 30.06.2018
http://www.transfermarkt.com/leon-goretzka/profil/spieler/153084

And the competition for his signature after the World Cup could be fierce. So he'd make sense on a decent fee in the summer.

izec

I hope we are in for a decent fee. the lad has talent and i think a step up could do him good in terms of development.