Roy Keane next Celtic manager. Fairytale or reality?

simplyared

I can't see it happening tbf. Think his managerial days are over and doubt such a big club as Celtic would take the risk. Love to see it happen though!

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Is this based on something? Or you're just throwing it out there? I know he's on the bookies list, anything more?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
He could probably be an okay manager if he meet in the middle with modern players but i can't imagine that's something he will be up for doing unless his tolerance of Micah and creating an Instagram account is a sign he's somewhat softening :lol:

He took over Sunderland when they were rock bottom of the Championship after a season they picked up just 15 PL points (probably the worst situation to come in and try and build some confidence and momentum for) and they ran away with the title and then had a good PL campaign so he's obviously got something about him if it comes together.

But as said, he will have to fully embrace/accept modern football if he's to have a successful second crack at management. It may be another Mourinho/changing his way thing where he goes into clubs with the right intention but just can't keep it up.

Hoof the ball

Celtic are a big club?
Historically, yes. Even financially that used to be the case. In the 80's and very early 90's (before PL was introduced and TV rights changed the financial landscape), Rangers and Celtic were breaking transfer records, making some of the highest revenue in Britain and stockpiling very good teams.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I have no idea why Celtic would opt for Keane. Are there no talented young managers they don't know are average and carrying baggage?

Foxbatt

I have no idea why Celtic would opt for Keane. Are there no talented young managers they don't know are average and carrying baggage?
If Ole is good enough for United why not Keane for Celtic?

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Even if Keane was a great tactician he would be a terrible man manager. Captaining a side and managing it are completely different things.
He would be more interested in winning arguments in the team and in the media - probably even without realising it. He would probably also openly blame players a lot. He should stay away from management.

Champagne Football

They'd be mad to appoint him. He's done nothing of note as a manager in the game.

If Keane is serious about returning to management, he'd need to work as a no. 2 under a modern thinking coach for a couple of seasons, perhaps working under Eddie Howe if he got the Celtic gig.

Working under Martin O'Neill as a no. 2 might have taught him a thing or two as to how to keep a club like Burnley or West Brow from getting relegated, but that's as far as Keane's knowledge as a manager would go in this moment in time.

Champagne Football

There's so many reasons to answer that question -
1. Mike Phelan is probably the main reason Ole has done well at a big club. Having Fergie's right hand man to guide and advise Ole with tactics, transfers, player management has been invaluable to Ole.
2. Ole has the right character for the modern game. He never throws his players under a bus. Knows how to manage the ego's of mentally fragile modern players. Keane is old-school like Jose Mourinho, rules by fear, and those kinds of managers are a dying breed. You could argue modern footballers don't react as well to old-school methods. Even Fergie said he had to move with the times in terms of man-managment.
3. Ole is obviously passionate about being a manager, and has a strong pedigree in developing youth. He started out by winning the FA youth Cup at Man Utd, and since then has never been out of work as a manager, despite taking on jobs in the football wilderness. That's a great contrast to Keane who has been out of work for years, and in two of his last jobs he has walked out prematurely once the going got tough, at both Norwich and Ipswitch, to suggest he can't handle the pressure cooker when the shit hits the fan. But Ole seems to have that ability that best managers have to be able to ride out the storm and not crack under the pressure, when the team is on a bad run of form.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Him managing the Poundland Keane is a match made in heaven.

RUCK4444

Historically, yes. Even financially that used to be the case. In the 80's and very early 90's (before PL was introduced and TV rights changed the financial landscape), Rangers and Celtic were breaking transfer records, making some of the highest revenue in Britain and stockpiling very good teams.
Yeah I was being sarcastic sorry bud. I have an irrational dislike for Scottish Football. :wenger:

Crustanoid

At least we’d get to see him deck Slippy Gerrard several times every Old Firm match

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
1. Mike Phelan is probably the main reason Ole has done well at a big club. Having Fergie's right hand man to guide and advise Ole with tactics, transfers, player management has been invaluable to Ole.
2. Ole has the right character for the modern game. He never throws his players under a bus. Knows how to manage the ego's of mentally fragile modern players. Keane is old-school like Jose Mourinho, rules by fear, and those kinds of managers are a dying breed. You could argue modern footballers don't react as well to old-school methods. Even Fergie said he had to move with the times in terms of man-managment.
3. Ole is obviously passionate about being a manager, and has a strong pedigree in developing youth. He started out by winning the FA youth Cup at Man Utd, and since then has never been out of work as a manager, despite taking on jobs in the football wilderness. That's a great contrast to Keane who has been out of work for years, and in two of his last jobs he has walked out prematurely once the going got tough, at both Norwich and Ipswitch, to suggest he can't handle the pressure cooker when the shit hits the fan. But Ole seems to have that ability that best managers have to be able to ride out the storm and not crack under the pressure, when the team is on a bad run of form.
Keane hasn’t been out of work for years , it’s been under 2 years. Only a few months longer than Oles spell between leaving Cardiff and rejoining Molde.

Ole never won the FA youth Cup. He’s never even coached in it.

Keane never worked for Norwich.

Oranges038

If your going to go to that much effort at least double check what your typing is accurate.

RedDevilzFox

He is a more entertaining pundit than he is a manager, at least one of the few who takes on Liverpool and not just picks on United incessantly in an attempt to look unbiased.

Champagne Football

Keane hasn’t been out of work for years , it’s been under 2 years. Only a few months longer than Oles spell between leaving Cardiff and rejoining Molde.

Ole never won the FA youth Cup. He’s never even coached in it.

Keane never worked for Norwich.
I'd obviously be referring to being a head manager and not a no.2. How many years has it been since Keane was a No. 1 seem as you have such a sharp memory?

My bad, shite Internet connection here so unable to Google the past to clarify my argument. But Ole would have played a big part in that FA youth Cup win having been in charge of the reserves up until November 2010, having spent 2 or 3 years in charge.

Aston Villa of course. Whenever I think of Paul Lambert as a manager, Norwich comes into my head. Yeah Keane walked out on Norwich shortly after joining which seemed bizarre at the time. There were all kinds of rumours that the players at Villa did not take well to Keane's methods.

Champagne Football

If your going to go to that much effort at least double check what your typing is accurate.
Sorry very poor Internet connection here. Keeps dropping. And I think anyone who knows anything about football will see past the simple mistakes I made. Ole was reserve manager until November 2010, so played a major part in that FA youth Cup win, and then worked under Lamvart at Villa, Lambart had been at Norwich shortly before then.

Tallis

Keane and Mourinho are both wasted as managers. They make terrific football pundits - much much better than the idiotic run of the mill
pundit. Mourinho actually analyses games vs the usual dramatic and lazy analysis we get and Keane looks at it from a “mentality” perspective which is still interesting.

Oranges038

Sorry very poor Internet connection here. Keeps dropping. And I think anyone who knows anything about football will see past the simple mistakes I made. Ole was reserve manager until November 2010, so played a major part in that FA youth Cup win, and then worked under Lamvart at Villa, Lambart had been at Norwich shortly before then.

Aye, having watched Keane as No.2 with Martin and the stone age football with Ireland, I do feel he is detached from modern football. Not all reports are 100% accurate but you would have to assume the stories of his actions towards certain players have an element of truth.

He has old school values and whether or not he could adapt to being a number 1 at a club can only really be seen if he does it.

The problem with Celtic is, you are either first or nowhere, it's a hiding to nothing. Win the league and cups and it's not really a big deal, have any sort of bad patch and you are out on your ear.

Champagne Football

Aye, having watched Keane as No.2 with Martin and the stone age football with Ireland, I do feel he is detached from modern football. Not all reports are 100% accurate but you would have to assume the stories of his actions towards certain players have an element of truth.

He has old school values and whether or not he could adapt to being a number 1 at a club can only really be seen if he does it.

The problem with Celtic is, you are either first or nowhere, it's a hiding to nothing. Win the league and cups and it's not really a big deal, have any sort of bad patch and you are out on your ear.
I agree. I think they'd be getting a Neil Lennon clone - a hot-headed tactical dinosaur.
Under Rodgers there was a lot of excitement, a club moving forward with a modern thinking attacking coach. Appointing Lennon again made no sense at all.
I think Keane is finished as a manager unless he spent a couple of seasons working as a no.2 under a Naglesmann/Marco Rose/Hassenhuttle/Rodgers etc

tayside red

I half expected Steve Clarke to get offered the job, I don't see anyone from England coming up to compete against Gerrard & Rangers, who have a decent young squad, money talks of course, and as we all know these managers are money grabbing barstewards

Oranges038

I agree. I think they'd be getting a Neil Lennon clone - a hot-headed tactical dinosaur.
Under Rodgers there was a lot of excitement, a club moving forward with a modern thinking attacking coach. Appointing Lennon again made no sense at all.
I think Keane is finished as a manager unless he spent a couple of seasons working as a no.2 under a Naglesmann/Marco Rose/Hassenhuttle/Rodgers etc
I think so too, I'd love to see him go on and have success, but it looks like his time is gone.

Can't see any one taking him as a no.2 either, if I'm honest. Imagine Nagelsmann working with him, I'd say less than a day before he tore into him about his jackets.

tomaldinho1

His initial work with Sunderland was phenomenal - going from relegation places to promotion and then securing PL survival the next season is about as good as it gets. Then, as one can imagine with Keane as coach, he just wore down his players. I can't see how he'd do well when his standards are probably higher than 99% of the footballers he'd work with.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
His initial work with Sunderland was phenomenal - going from relegation places to promotion and then securing PL survival the next season is about as good as it gets. Then, as one can imagine with Keane as coach, he just wore down his players. I can't see how he'd do well when his standards are probably higher than 99% of the footballers he'd work with.
Yeah, I think he'd do better with a top team in that respect. I wonder how Guardiola would fare with a mediocre-to-poor side.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
They'd be mad to appoint him. He's done nothing of note as a manager in the game.

If Keane is serious about returning to management, he'd need to work as a no. 2 under a modern thinking coach for a couple of seasons, perhaps working under Eddie Howe if he got the Celtic gig.

Working under Martin O'Neill as a no. 2 might have taught him a thing or two as to how to keep a club like Burnley or West Brow from getting relegated, but that's as far as Keane's knowledge as a manager would go in this moment in time.
Martin O Neill#s achievements were a bit better than keeping some pony up in 17th each season.
League cup win for Leicester, and another final, Uefa cup final with Celtic (along with turning over the Rangers dominance when moving there).
Kept Villa 5th in the table 3 years in a row, that people seem to criminally underrate despite Villa not being within millions of miles of it since.

Champagne Football

T
Martin O Neill#s achievements were a bit better than keeping some pony up in 17th each season.
League cup win for Leicester, and another final, Uefa cup final with Celtic (along with turning over the Rangers dominance when moving there).
Kept Villa 5th in the table 3 years in a row, that people seem to criminally underrate despite Villa not being within millions of miles of it since.
True but his methods were suited to the Premier league of those times. In today's game his methods would be completely outdated unless he was at a Burnley or a West Brom and fighting relegation.

Every now and again a dinosaur can still do well in the PL. Moyes being an example. But it doesn't usually last long. Once results go south, the fans have had enough of the zombie football and demand change.