Roy Keane's United all-time XI

GueRed

Opposition fans who get off on the Gerrard, Lampard & Scholes debate will be looking at Scholes' absence from Roy's side with glee.
Imo prime Ince was as good as that lot.
A good long and short passer, had a clean strike on him. A fantastic tackler, decent header of the ball, quick, good athlete and a will to win.

GueRed

For me Pallister is my favorite CB. He won the 1992 PFA Player of the year and was the only United defender apart from Irwin to score from a free kick in the league. He also was one of the rallying leaders in the team when Cantona was banned in 1995. He scored a goal in the FA Cup semi final against Palace.
great shout, an underrated choice..

Loved Pally, after a dodgy start ended up giving United nine yrs of great service.

A towering presence at the back. Terrific in the air, brave and strong. Fantastic clean tackler and a consistent performer too. 7/10 every game..

PeteManic

Even though I was moaning about it before, the only interesting thing to come out of that segment was the chat about Paul Ince.

Ince is underrated for a few different reasons - first of all because he left the Premier League when it was just starting and went to Italy and had a successful time at Inter. Ince tells the story to James Richardson that he only came back to England, and to Liverpool, because his wife wanted to go back. Ince jokes about it but he seemed sad when he tells the story that Moratti didn't want him to go and told him that he was building a team with him in it and Ronaldo was coming that summer. Imagine leaving Ronaldo for Roy Evans' Liverpool!

Although Sky would never say it, there is probably a race issue as well related to PR profiles. Look how the system has treated Andy Cole, Sol Campbell, and Ince. How dare black men be different or have their eccentricities or have their opinions. There is always that sense of Cole and Campbell as being so arrogant. And Ince's image of the guv'nor back in the day. When I see Ince do TV he seems quite nervous and struggles maybe to express himself and maybe his lack of PR profile when he played and started managing never helped.

The Ince stuff was by far the most interesting and fair play to Carragher he tried to press Keane a bit further but nothing came from it really.

Bobski

Ince was a great player at his peak, stupidly brave, tough, quick and mobile with more than decent passing ability and a belter of a strike from range. Didn't watch the program but always felt that Keane and Ince were very competitive with each other, the English/Irish thing, both wanted to be top dog. Ince was very good at Inter as well, at a time when British players rarely moved he did himself proud, Liverpool maybe got him as he was dropping off.

A bit unfortunate that Ince does not get the appreciation he deserves from Utd fans due to that move, the "Big time Charlie" thing did not help, odd to think he got that tag then, different time entirely when players were mostly anonymous as personalities other than a few.

With Andy Cole I never really got the sense he was seen as arrogant, maybe a little difficult but as with Ince any deviation from the norm would have been noted in that time were now it is standard.

Loved Andy Cole, one of my favourite careers at Utd, tough start, public mockery, 2 broken legs to changing his game to becoming a fantastic all round striker who could score, create and play with anyone. Plus he had a proper edge to him and didn't back down from the physical side of the game. Very underrated player.

keithsingleton

Don’t know how Ince makes the so called best 11, Great player but wouldn’t even make the sub bench for me. No Scholes? WTF :eek:

Josh 76

Don’t know how Ince makes the so called best 11, Great player but wouldn’t even make the sub bench for me. No Scholes? WTF :eek:
Paul Ince was an awesome player. Him and Keane in the Centre was one of the best pairings in the PL. They had it all. The 1994 team was my favourite UTD team. The spine of the team was hard as feck
Pally, Bruce, Keane, Ince, Hughes, Eric.!
“you want to play, we will play, you want to fight, we will fight!”

Steffa Barnesa

They had it all. The 1994 team was my favourite UTD team.
Mine too. To the extent where I'd keep them all apart from Scholes for Ince and Van Nistelrooy or Ronaldo for Hughes.

And w/r/t Keane picking Ince, I remember he did the same thing on another show a few years ago (on Sky too, I think) and someone made the case for Scholes and Keane said with a smile he probably should have picked him. I dunno, I think it's his nature to do this kind of thing. I remember how passionately he was defending the decision to send Nani off against Real Madrid in 2013 with that steely gaze, head gone, driven more by personal bias than logic. If that was now, with Ferguson not at the helm, I don't believe he would have defended the red card so much.

More annoying is Carragher seemingly implying United would have won more with Gerrard than Scholes, and Liverpool would've won less with Scholes than Gerrard, and Keane accepting such drivel! Plus Carragher said Lampard and Scholes couldn't do what Gerrard did in the 2005 CL final and the 2006 FA Cup final, and Keane agreed to that too? Gerrard's performance in 2005 has been highly overrated - he was all over the place in the first half and Hamann stablized the midfield in the second. Even then, Dudek helped them out a lot plus they had two other goalscorers, but the narrative is Gerrard won it on his own. There's a lot Scholes does better than Gerrard, but because he hasn't got the engine a simple-minded guy like Carragher won't rate him highly, and his old captain can't even be bothered to defend him.

Last edited:

Josh 76

Mine too. To the extent where I'd keep them all apart from Scholes for Ince and Van Nistelrooy or Ronaldo for Hughes.

And w/r/t Keane picking Ince, I remember he did the same thing on another show a few years ago (on Sky too, I think) and someone made the case for Scholes and Keane said with a smile he probably should have picked him. I dunno, I think it's his nature to do this kind of thing. I remember how passionately he was defending the decision to send Nani off against Real Madrid in 2013 with that steely gaze, head gone, driven more by personal bias than logic. If that was now, with Ferguson not at the helm, I don't believe he would have defended the red card so much.

More annoying is Carragher seemingly implying United would have won more with Gerrard than Scholes, and Liverpool would've won less with Scholes than Gerrard, and Keane accepting such drivel! Plus Carragher said Lampard and Scholes couldn't do what Gerrard did in the 2005 CL final and the 2006 FA Cup final, and Keane agreed to that too? Gerrard's performance in 2005 has been highly overrated - he was all over the place in the first half and Hamann stablized the midfield in the second. Even then, Dudek helped them out a lot plus they had two other goalscorers, but the narrative is Gerrard won it on his own. There's a lot Scholes does better than Gerrard, but because he hasn't got the engine a simple-minded guy like Carragher won't rate him highly, and his old captain can't even be bothered to defend him.
Keane has mellowed a lot. He seems he can’t be bothered to get into an argument about past players. As I said in this thread, read his first autobiography. That was the real Roy Keane. After that he just plays up to the media and changes his mind like the weather.

keithsingleton

Paul Ince was an awesome player. Him and Keane in the Centre was one of the best pairings in the PL. They had it all. The 1994 team was my favourite UTD team. The spine of the team was hard as feck
Pally, Bruce, Keane, Ince, Hughes, Eric.!
“you want to play, we will play, you want to fight, we will fight!”
How anyone can put Ince before Scholes is beyond me. :nono:

jesperjaap

A ;lot of talk on Ince in this thread. For me the only sure crazy decision is Pallister over Ferdinand. Pallister was an excellent defender but Ferdinand was on totally different level to him.

I have always felt Paul Ince is one of the most under rated ENglish footballers of all time. Probably the best player at Euro 96, fantastic player for us, did really well in Italy where many English players have flopped and had a long career.

The spat for leaving West Ham, the Guvnor stuff, the playing for Liverpool. In an all time England eleven he onyl loses out from my lifetime to Robson, in an all time United eleven he only loses out to Keane or/Scholes, Robson starts but he really isnt far behin any of them and never gets the credit he deserves for some of the in my mind petty tribalism

frostbite

How can you not have a big dumb grin on watching that. Keano easily my favourite ex United player to listen to
Brilliant video! I don't disagree with any of Keane's choices.

It is funny that I consider Gary Neville to be the weakest player of those 11. And yet, he is perhaps the one real choice for RB, we never had any other great right backs.

On the other hand, we had so many fantastic forwards! My personal favorite is Ruud, but it is only 2 positions and obviously the correct choices is Rooney, our all time top scorer, and CR7, the world's all time top scorer.

pacifictheme

It is funny that I consider Gary Neville to be the weakest player of those 11. And yet, he is perhaps the one real choice for RB, we never had any other great right backs.

On the other hand, we had so many fantastic forwards! My personal favorite is Ruud, but it is only 2 positions and obviously the correct choices is Rooney, our all time top scorer, and CR7, the world's all time top scorer.
Pallister was good but not even close to Rio. Think the others can be argued but that one was mental, seems he just liked pally as a mate.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Ronaldo really shouldn't be a forward choice, he played on the wing I'm a 442 for most of his United time. Should be him pushing out Beckham really and Cantona a cert up top.