Roy loves Denis

caid

Who doesn't.
Also who bumped this thread? Sneaky post deleting swine.

Wayne's World

If Denis Irwin played now he'd be the best left-back in the world....and that's just by judging his left foot nevermind his right

If Denis Irwin played now he'd be the best left-back in the world....and that's just by judging his left foot nevermind his right
interesting to see what non Utd fans think of him.

he’s the most rated, underrated player of all time. As people used to say he’s so underrated, but most people actually rated him...

Don’t think he was even considered world class in his career, and perhaps that had something to do with who he played for internationally.

great player, still criminal he missed a cup final for a ridiculous sending off if I remember correctly.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
interesting to see what non Utd fans think of him.

he’s the most rated, underrated player of all time. As people used to say he’s so underrated, but most people actually rated him...

Don’t think he was even considered world class in his career, and perhaps that had something to do with who he played for internationally.

great player, still criminal he missed a cup final for a ridiculous sending off if I remember correctly.
Also because of the way he looked and behaved. Quiet guy who looked like a 40 year old dad.

Irwin99

One of my fave players growing up, hence the name. People say he was the typical 90s full back but with his skill set he could easily play as the modern full back and get forward more. Apart from defending he had a fantastic first touch, great technique, read the game very well, took a mean free kick and penalty, and was a good passer of the ball.

I think 99 was his last great season and United probably should have replaced him sooner. Between him and Evra there were a lot were a lot of players that just weren't good enough to be a world class left back for United. I'd argue the pattern has repeated itself now and we haven't had a really great one since prime Evra.

Web of Bissaka

I think it's more likely the best right-back in the world, easier competition there but football fans and Pool fans in particular would glorify TAA's flashier passing, crossing and his CL performances as the deciders. It depends on where he's playing depending on his team.

LB now have so many good competitions, there'll be endless debates about it.

People tend to forget he played RB before, can slot in either one easily, he played LB for us because we just don't have any good one at that time, then with the Neville brothers breaking through... the rest is history. Finding a good longterm LB is simply not easy. Took us a half-a-decade to finally get the adapted Evra.

padzilla

Hipster
I remember a story, which could apocryphal, that on the day of Beckham's wedding in Ireland that Keane and Irwin went to watch their native Cork play in the Munster Hurling Final instead.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I remember a story, which could apocryphal, that on the day of Beckham's wedding in Ireland that Keane and Irwin went to watch their native Cork play in the Munster Hurling Final instead.
You would do something else if you weren’t invited :)

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
I think they were said to be the only United players from the squad at the time who didn't go.
Roy was a miserable c**t at times. I find it funny when he criticizes other players, because he could act as a primadonna in his prime.

GueRed

Denis Irwin is the best full-back in Premier League history.

Brilliant on 1 v 1's. Good positional sense. Quick. Equally good at right-back as well as left back. Great striker of the ball. Good set-piece taker. Good crosser of the ball. Mr. Consistent.

In the mid 90's in his prime he was world class
He was the complete full-back

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
" I used to room with Denis on Ireland duty and he had a way of helping me switch off. I remember it now, he'd say, 'Hey big guy, Sun's getting real low.' And he'd stroke my hand and... next thing I know I'm totally calm. Such a reassuring presence. "

Falcow

Irwin, Kanchelskis, Bruce, Schmeichel, Lee Sharpe.....average transfer fee about 500k, those were the days.

I've always found it daft with these best ever prem teams, should it be Cole or Irwin at left back? Firstly, Irwin was a right back but just happened to play left back because he could, and he could do it better than anyoe else. I'd like to have seen Cashley at right back.

It would be Irwin at right back for me and Cole at left back, how Roy allowed Viera to put Lauren at right back, I'll never know.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
One of my fave players growing up, hence the name. People say he was the typical 90s full back but with his skill set he could easily play as the modern full back and get forward more. Apart from defending he had a fantastic first touch, great technique, read the game very well, took a mean free kick and penalty, and was a good passer of the ball.

I think 99 was his last great season and United probably should have replaced him sooner. Between him and Evra there were a lot were a lot of players that just weren't good enough to be a world class left back for United. I'd argue the pattern has repeated itself now and we haven't had a really great one since prime Evra.
Silvestre was decent and could go forward and most importantly could put in a cross.

man united 4eva

I'll never forget that sickening feeling i felt when that dirty fecker Paul Bosvelt nearly snapped Denis's leg in a Champs League match against Feyenoord in Rotterdam.. :mad:

GueRed

I'll never forget that sickening feeling i felt when that dirty fecker Paul Bosvelt nearly snapped Denis's leg in a Champs League match against Feyenoord in Rotterdam.. :mad:
Feyenoord were fecking dirty in that game. The ref was terrible! he missed so many dirty fouls.

subsequently he was suspended for a few games by UEFA after that

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
One of the greatest injustices in football history was him having to miss a cup final cos David Ellary was moron.

Irwin99

Silvestre was decent and could go forward and most importantly could put in a cross.
I think Silvestre was decent at times but for every good thing he did a really bad and clumsy thing seemed to follow sooner or later. Some horrendous errors and quite a few in big games too. I think him, Heinze, Phil Neville, John O shea were all decent/good but nowhere near the level a United full back should be. I'm probably in a minority but I'm not convinced that our current full backs will get near that elite level either.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
One of the greatest injustices in football history was him having to miss a cup final cos David Ellary was moron.
Yep, ludicrous.
He tapped the ball a few yards up the touchline as Elleray was blowing his whistle.

It was hardly lashing the ball away to waste time.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Imagine Roy watching that co92 film and watching how they edited Irwin out of history and pretended Phil Neville was left back through all the glory years
I haven’t seen it, did they really do this? No mention of Irwin?

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I view players like Irwin and Gary Neville as smart players who maximized their potential. They knew their limitations and almost always played very well. There are too many players who don't know their limitations and therefore never make it as a pro.