Music Royal Blood

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Deserving of their own thread imo.

Album is out next month and if it's as good as the songs they've released so far, could be my new, new favourite band. Only heard of them because they were opening support for The Arctic Monkeys at Finsbury Park, but they've been grabbing a lot of attention at some of the festivals recently.

Think White Stripes but with a drummer who actually knows how to drum and a guitarist who actually knows how to sing:

Dan

I like how the singer gets a bass and guitar sound from that one bass.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Listened to the two videos. I hear the Whites Stripes reference for sure, not a patch on Jack and Meg though. They sound really good though, will be looking at their impending album with some interest.

Acole9

Outstanding
Only have taken note of these in the last couple of weeks after seeing their Glastonbury highlights. They seem to have done all the festivals this year, few good tracks and I'm planning to see them when they play at Reading.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
There's hundreds of bands doing this kind of thing a lot better.
Name me one.

It's been ages since I listened to anything new and was impressed as I am with these two.

I don't think there's enough bands doing "this kind of thing" at all, at the moment. The trend seems to be more towards slowed down, moody shite.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
I've seen them a few times live and they've never failed to impress me.

Acole9

Outstanding
I know there's a lot of two piece bands creeping out the woodwork at the moment but these guys are different to the rest of them.

Baxter

They looked brilliant at TITP. I looked them up after that and can't stop listening.

De Selby

Scottish
Supports
Guangzhou Pharmaceutical F.C.
Name me one.

It's been ages since I listened to anything new and was impressed as I am with these two.

I don't think there's enough bands doing "this kind of thing" at all, at the moment. The trend seems to be more towards slowed down, moody shite.
You could try Big Business.

Royal Blood sound like a mix of White Stripes and early QOTSA but nowhere near as good as either.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Cool, will be checking it out. Saw them a few weeks ago and they were quality.

RedMist99

They're class.

Saw them in Sheffield in a pub in February with a capacity smaller than 100. Glad I did cos I couldn't get near the John Peel stage at Glasto it was so fecking rammed.

Can't wait for the album and proper tour

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I have breezed through the album having downloaded it minutes ago, it sounds absolutely fantastic. They could become one of my favourite bands yet.

Berbaclass

I listened to it earlier. I thought it was pretty good but I think some people are getting a bit carried away with them.

They have a good sound and have put out a solid debut album. I quite like them but I don't really consider them 'groundbreaking'.

They kinda remind me of Audioslave/RATM with the Morello style funk. I was listening to the track Little Monster (Which is my personal fave) and just kept thinking it reminded me of Cochise. They just never turned it up to 11 like Morello.

Definitely one of the better albums I've heard this year though.

Last edited:

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I wouldn't consider them groundbreaking either, but I really like the album. I just think they're a hell of a lot better than most other stuff on offer at the moment.

Can see the Audioslave/RATM simularity too...but then RATM are one of my favourite bands so I wouldn't consider that a bad thing.

I can see why people might find their sound a bit samey/lacking in variety, but there's enough going on to keep me happy. Just about every song either has a catchy sound or riff that I want to learn to play.

Loose Change is probably my favourite

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
A band like The Black Keys have managed to become very big without ever being particularly groundbreaking either. They just released enough high quality material for it not to really matter. That said, I'd always prefer someone like Jack White to them as he's that bit more special/unique (despite being very heavily indebted to certain bands himself).

Royal Blood remind me of The Black Keys in that sense. At its best their stuff is good enough for a lack of originality not to matter and at its worse it's more generic/by numbers than bad really.

So yeah, the album is good. They have a very cool sound and they're also savage live. Maybe not quite as unique/special as the hype might have suggested though. Still, if they release quality material then that's not that big a problem, is it?

noodlehair

"It's like..."
They're excellent, and I agree...though I also think that says something about the lack of good new bands over the last few years. Not a dig at them so much, it's just that there's no one else to compare them with.

I heard Zane Lowe a few weeks ago say that if any half decent band broke through now they'd be playing support for someone at Wembley in next to no time because it'd only be between them and Royal Blood, and he has a point.

Seeing them in March though and can't wait.

Ludens the Red

Yeah great band, its rare to hear an album where every single song sounds like a hit. Supporting foo fighters at wembley. Might go if ticket prices drop.
I actually went to that monkeys gig and I don't remember them (probs because I was too fascinated with the people openly snorting coke around me).
It's weird how that happens.

Berbaclass

Anyone get their new album yet? It's very good, without hitting the extremely consistent and lofty heights their debut did, for me.

Superb band.

Yeah, I love Royal Blood. Album was a 6.5/10 though. How Did We Get So Dark? and Hole in Your Heart are the standouts.

I was expecting them to produce something with a bit more tempo. For me, too many of the songs are a bit slow and plod along. I wish they'd quicken it up a bit. I loved Where Are You Now? when it was released on the soundtrack to Vinyl but the mix they did for the album just wasn't anywhere near as good IMO.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Do people still buy albums? Spotify is the absolute nuts. It's actually rejuvenated my interest in music.

Dante

Average bang
Anyone get their new album yet? It's very good, without hitting the extremely consistent and lofty heights their debut did, for me.

Superb band.

Feck me. I played the first 10 seconds of that and decided they were gonna be one of my favourite bands.

Just downloaded both of their albums in the last 10 minutes. I think I'm gonna enjoy this.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
They're great. My daughter flipping loves them. Full credit to the quality of their music that they still sound great even after she's played Little Monster for the thousandth time.

Not sure the second album is as good as the first but it's solid enough. Some cracking tunes. Just a few more fillers this time. Might grow on me though.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Yeah I'm not a massive fan of the second album, but the first was great. They're awesome live too.

Although I do think how much I like them has been exaggerated by the complete lack of any other new bands who are actually interesting.

Berbaclass

New album Typhoons announced officially. April 30th release. New single 'Typhoons' just released. Really like it but I think I prefer Trouble Coming.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Very polished, their other single was the same. The distorted sound was half the reason I liked them, since the songs themselves have never been that strong imo. Not a bad tune, just not essential.

El-Manos

Only discovered these guys the last day; they are feckin amazing ! Will see them at Rock Werchter later this summer.