Ruben Neves | Signed for Al Hilal (SA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSingh2002

I've wanted Neves since I saw him play for Wolves in the Championship. He'll be underrated until he plays for a top team and then he'll be a player we moan that we should have signed.

Hopefully it's him or Tchouameni if we're targeting anyone.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I suggest you go back and watch the game. Surely debatable whether it is was a foul, but to call it a sniper shot.. it is just offensive, inappropriate and lack of class.
:lol:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Might be deadline day desperation creeping in but I've warmed to the idea of him as a signing.

Building up play has obviously been a problem for us and replacing one of McFred with Neves would at least help us in that regard. And his defensive stats are pretty decent too.

Obviously he's not a world-beater. But he is a good level 24 year-old midfielder with PL experience who would make us better. And it's not like he's the sort of signing who would block us from going for another midfielder next summer or whenever.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Neves makes sense if we want to play Pogba at left midfield where he's most useful. He's the best option to replace Pogba's deep playmaking at the double pivot while also being better defensively.

RedDevilRoshi

Where is this link coming from that we are signing him or going to be making a move for him tomorrow?

Ducker posted earlier that we are done now in this window.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
I think this is the thread I’m pitching up in for the next 24 hours. Gotta keep the faith

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Not really sold on him, he's the type that if we buy, we'd probably replace in 1 or 2 years time for a better target. Better we avoid and stop the average player signing mantra and stick to what we've done this window, sign meaningful top players that will significantly imrpove us. I agree that he's probably better than what we have but that's really not enough, he's fairly mediocre and not worth 35M+, I'm not convinced he's any better than Xhaka.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
The last two performances against us, at the Molineux stadium, haven't exactly been eye catching.

ArjenIsM3

Not really sold on him, he's the type that if we buy, we'd probably replace in 1 or 2 years time for a better target. Better we avoid and stop the average player signing mantra and stick to what we've done this window, sign meaningful top players that will significantly imrpove us. I agree that he's probably better than what we have but that's really not enough, he's fairly mediocre and not worth 35M+, I'm not convinced he's any better than Xhaka.
Xhaka isn't a bad player. He's just reckless. And a bit of a cnut really.

MrSingh2002

The Tifo video got me on board.
Tifo video is class and matches what I've thought about Neves for a few years now.

We don't have anyone besides Pogba who can play passes from deep successfully. Neves is hitting mid 80s for pass completion including long passes.

I think he speeds up our counter attacks and is a HUGE upgrade on Fred and Mctominay in that department.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I strongly agree with this generally. But imagine signing Neves and him not turning out to be that good, he'd still be better than Matic who is out of contract next summer anyway, and as we've seen, Donny looks invisible to Ole, so having Neves turn out to be at worst a squad player isn't that bad, and best case scenario, we immediately go some way towards fixing the glaring issues in midfield. Also, Portuguese contingent.

With Camavinga off to Madrid, I'm starting to feel a bit desperate about this.

jamesjimmybyrondean

The player linked with us this summer with the most contrasting opinions. Read through this thread and you still wouldn't tell if he's good or not

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Tifo video is class and matches what I've thought about Neves for a few years now.

We don't have anyone besides Pogba who can play passes from deep successfully. Neves is hitting mid 80s for pass completion including long passes.

I think he speeds up our counter attacks and is a HUGE upgrade on Fred and Mctominay in that department.
Yeah I agree. What’s also interesting is that he has similar numbers defensively to Fred also.

MadMike

I'm not really sold on him either but here the thing...

For one, if we get him for £35m at age 24 (his current age) we can sell him for £25-30m at age 26-27 and basically recoup most of the money. In the meantime we avoid having to play McTominay or Fred at DM which we have to agree are just not as good. Or, god forbid, Matic.

The other thing is, we've been talking about this all summer and no one has actually come up with a ball-playing DM that is better. Bissouma, Tchouameni are more athletic for sure, but they are not better passers than Neves. Camavinga is a box-to-box really and he is also very young and likely to be one for the future rather than one to improve us immediately.

Players like Jorginho, Locatelli (just moved), Fabinho, Veratti... just aren't available. There's a dearth of good ball-playing DMs. So if we want to go for a Carrick-esque player and it's not Neves, then who?

Jibbs

I have followed Neves since his breakthrough in Porto and him being youngest to captain the side in Champions League. And I have always wanted us to sign him. Not long ago he was going for 70 million... Pep went on record to say we can't afford him.
I think if he is available for 30,35 it is a steal. We need to get him over the line asap.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
He’s shite. Rather sign nobody else than be lumbered with someone else who’s not good enough.

The_Midfielder

We should sell Pogba this summer to avoid lose him free next summer and recruit neves and another midfielder
Why do you want sell pogba now ? Buy Neves though... he is a better passer than both Mcfred and should be able to play with both of them

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I strongly agree with this generally. But imagine signing Neves and him not turning out to be that good, he'd still be better than Matic who is out of contract next summer anyway, and as we've seen, Donny looks invisible to Ole, so having Neves turn out to be at worst a squad player isn't that bad, and best case scenario, we immediately go some way towards fixing the glaring issues in midfield. Also, Portuguese contingent.

With Camavinga off to Madrid, I'm starting to feel a bit desperate about this.
Plus there's a good chance Pogba will leave next summer too, in which case we would likely need more than one midfield signing anyway.

Neves might not be the outstanding midfielder we want but I don't see much downside to him either.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I think one more player would need to leave permanently before we even consider bringing in someone else.

Gerald G

I'm on my knees for a midfielder - even if it's just like Saul Niguez on a loan deal. I honestly think we lack both numbers and quality.

But still think we would need to trim the squad for this and Lingard unfortunately looks like he will stay.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
Any suggestions?
Nah. Surely to god there must be better out there though? There’s no point spending that much on someone we’ll all be desperate to get rid of this time next summer.

Castia

Nothing will probably happen but in the off chance it does I think Neves will be the target

Status
Not open for further replies.