Ruben Neves | Signed for Al Hilal (SA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bucky

I still don't get how so many turn their nose up on him. Probably the same lot who did so on Van Dijk, Mane, Fabinho, Mahrez, Gundogan, etc and look how that turned out.
Or maybe it's because he's nowhere near as good or consistent as those players were for their previous clubs.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
£50m... :lol:

Nothing like a nice transfer rumour to distract from the ongoing and steep decline of Man Uthd though, is there?

NoMidfielders

Be very surprised if we commit a big fee to Neves 6 months before we appoint our new long term manager. He's a good player but not a fantastic one and his development has stagnated over the past couple of years so there's no guarantee the next manager would want him as a guaranteed starter.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I don’t get how he’s still only 24. Feels like he’s been that age for 5 years, whilst also looking about 35 the whole time anyway.

Pirlo'sBeard

He's a good player who looked great against our non existent midfield. Levels above McTominay but not the standard of player we should be signing.

Roux

He would be an absolute no-brainer signing - he's outstanding.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I'd take him because he's technical and will help the transition play that we feck up on so much according to Rangnick. He's not worth £50m though, I don't think that's his price anyway. £30m ish is closer to the mark.

Blood Mage

He would be an absolute no-brainer signing - he's outstanding.
He's really not. He's above average and comfortably better than anyone in our sorry excuse for a midfield, but for that price we could do better.

Higgy74

Supports
Wolves
You lot won’t appreciate him until he plays week in week out for you (which I really hope he doesn’t) he’s a definite hero at Molineux and I’ll be gutted when he finally leaves for pastures new.
Seriously he is that good, and he will be even better when he has better players around him.
Liverpool had the same thoughts about Jota when they were linked with him and he’s gone up 2 levels since signing for them, I expect Neves to be even better.

I would hope it takes more than 50m to get him but with Mendes as his agent who knows, one thing for sure he won’t push for a move, he genuinely loves it here and only said this week it’s his dream to play for us in the champions league.

Reactions: roonster09

Golden Nugget

I think he’d be a good addition that would improve Fred and McTominay. Both of them aren’t great in the deep role, nor at passing - which Neves is. They can be the legs and it will allow them (especially Fred) to press higher up the pitch.

Marwood

I'd prefer him to Rice.

And whichever midfielder we sign, it won't be the golden bullet. We need another one.

I'd get Neves signed and bring back one of Galbraith or Garner for a bench role.

Roux

He's really not. He's above average and comfortably better than anyone in our sorry excuse for a midfield, but for that price we could do better.
I think he's well above average and proven in this league - something some of players mentioned are not. We can't afford another Donny situation - we need someone to play right off that bat. His technical ability is very very good.

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
You lot won’t appreciate him until he plays week in week out for you (which I really hope he doesn’t) he’s a definite hero at Molineux and I’ll be gutted when he finally leaves for pastures new.
Seriously he is that good, and he will be even better when he has better players around him.
Liverpool had the same thoughts about Jota when they were linked with him and he’s gone up 2 levels since signing for them, I expect Neves to be even better.

I would hope it takes more than 50m to get him but with Mendes as his agent who knows, one thing for sure he won’t push for a move, he genuinely loves it here and only said this week it’s his dream to play for us in the champions league.

Close to everyone gain 2 levels when they play for a functional Kloop team. I cant see Neves go up any levels in a disfuncitonal group of primadonnas. And how will he fit a future gegenpressing Ragnick team with his slow pace ? 50 mill is overpaying, and with the wage structure we got i can see him doing the same as the rest and think he`s done it. Everyone is focusing on the money and social media fame at this club sadly.

SATA

Would be good and nice to have a midfielder other than Matic who doesn’t shat himself when he has the ball at his feet and looking for a pass ahead of him

Dolf

Younger then young Scott.
:eek: Insane! For some reason I always think Neves is 30 and mctominay 21...
Neves would instantly improve our midfield since none of our midfielders (except Bruno) can pass. However, we probably need two new cm's and a defensive mid so we should be careful with how we spend our money. I don't think 40-50 mill pounds is excesive for Neves though. 6-7 years left in him.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
How'd he fit in though? And who partners him?

Not really convinced as its most likely just the media peddling bullshit

tomaldinho1

100% would take him here. Would instantly upgrade our midfield and provide more control during games. I think Neves and Fred would be a decent partnership
All depends on the price. There’s an article on Sky saying we’re also looking at Kamara on a free, he’s a good player as well and more mobile/dynamic which is what we really need right now in my opinion.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I think what our midfield need is actually a technical player not just some midfielder who runs with energy or dynamic but no technique and can’t pass the ball. If Rangnick wants his team to control the ball better then we need to upgrade what we are currently have now!! We can’t control the game with McFred. Those two are just not built for possession of the ball.

Neves is in the category of technical player and also has good work rate. I don’t expect him to be a world class now. You have to understand that he’s not a finishing article so there are still rooms for improvement. Therefore, we need to consider his potential where he can reach and whether he can improve or no. I think he has the tools to play for top club and can still improve through proper coaching. I see his ceiling to reach to Jorginho‘s level with similar playing style and Jorginho is good enough to win CL and Euro.

Ekeke

Christ £50m, they must be having a laugh :lol:
Unfortunately thats the reality of his reputation even though he doesnt deserve it. He's been hyped up for years and the fee correlates with why he's still at Wolves instead of moving on a year or two ago

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
If we hadn't just played them we would even be linked with him again. Another nonsense rumour.

I highly doubt we'll be doing any buying in Jan. We'll be tightening our belts ahead of a season out of the CL.

Thiagoal

A player that can receive a pass, control the tempo of a game and has great vision… no way we’d be in for him!

Andrew7582

For me he is too slow, he is better suited to a counter attacking team where he can ping balls into space. He's not mobile enough for a high press system if that's what we are moving towards. Even Wolves fans complain about their midfield not being mobile enough with him in it, do you think it would be any different if he was playing for us, he would still be the same player. He is like a midfield version of Maguire, moves like an oil tanker. £50 million would be ridiculous, I would say his value is £25 million max. We should wait until the summer and get Tielemans instead, he is the better player.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
A player that can receive a pass, control the tempo of a game and has great vision… no way we’d be in for him!
We don’t take kindly to that kind of behaviour around here! If he starts passing to the ballboys 2 in every 5 passes then we’ll be interested!

United492

He's a different type of midfielder, but if we had to compare then Rice is in a different league of quality.
He's in a different league of price as well (double). I'd rather get Neves and invest the remaining £50m elsewhere.

Marwood

He's a different type of midfielder, but if we had to compare then Rice is in a different league of quality.
They're similar enough in terms of what part of the pitch they play in and general role.

Either of them would probably be our deepest midfield, the one to connect the back four to the rest of the team.

In terms of quality I don't see a huge gap. Rice is a better athlete, which is important. Outside of that, I don't see what what else he trumps Neves in.

Then there's the price difference

AneRu

I think he’d be a good addition that would improve Fred and McTominay. Both of them aren’t great in the deep role, nor at passing - which Neves is. They can be the legs and it will allow them (especially Fred) to press higher up the pitch.
I think he could be useful when paired with Fred, the latter doing the pressing and him the sweeping plus the playmaking. He would be great for us 80% of the time but I'd worry about him against the press but having a good passer in the defensive quartet is always good.

For those wishing for a completely world class midfielder my view would be let's strive for incremental improvement window by window. It's clear that our problems run deeper than we first thought with this mutiny on our hands so we do need another rebuild. Unless Ralf can pull a rabbit out of his cloak then Neves will do because we can't be spunking £100m on Rice and still have funds to replace the disgruntled mutineers.

Gordon S

I think we really miss a player in the middle that can pass the ball around with above average quality and control. Someone similar to Carrick. Neves could be that guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.