Rudiger taking out de Bruyne

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Seen it a few times now, and it seems to me intentional. Not as clear cut as Ramos on Salah, but still, had that been Bruno would people here not been asking for a red?

Disclaimer: Relieved Chelsea won, and they were definitely much better on the night. I'm just talking about this incident in isolation.

A similar thing I noticed against Villareal was that Moreno tried to injure Pogba as he fell in a challenge. People can say that's an exaggeration, but when you've seen how effective that Ramos foul was on Liverpool's main danger man, surely teams do target individuals. Always used to do that in the past.

So, Rudiger's foul deliberate or not?

Walters_19_MuFc

Seen it a few times now, and it seems to me intentional. Not as clear cut as Ramos on Salah, but still, had that been Bruno would people here not been asking for a red?

Disclaimer: Relieved Chelsea won, and they were definitely much better on the night. I'm just talking about this incident in isolation.

A similar thing I noticed against Villareal was that Moreno tried to injure Pogba as he fell in a challenge. People can say that's an exaggeration, but when you've seen how effective that Ramos foul was on Liverpool's main danger man, surely teams do target individuals. Always used to do that in the past.

So, Rudiger's foul deliberate or not?
No!

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
When I saw it yesterday I thought Rudiger kind of had nowhere to go, but I didn’t get a great look. Would like to see it again

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Haha. Has this already been debated to death somewhere else?

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
People (and some players) are quick to forget that football is a physical sport.

FatTails

Rudiger just blocked his run. Common move, De Bruyne was just unlucky.

Fernandinho does the same thing at least once a game.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
It was a deliberate foul but I don't think he meant to injure him so severely. Tactical fouls annoy me anyway, in my eyes it's blatant cheating.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Yeah, Fernandinho actually managed it twice in his cameo last night alone.

Was it Rudiger's shoulder or face mask? I couldn't really tell, there wasn't a good replay angle. Just really unlucky imo.

You have to judge actions not results in football. It was a yellow card offense, regardless of the unfortunate outcome.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
It was a deliberate foul but I don't think he meant to injure him so severely. Tactical fouls annoy me anyway, in my eyes it's blatant cheating.
Exactly this. Deliberate foul with an accident clash following it.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Yeah, Fernandinho actually managed it twice in his cameo last night alone.

Was it Rudiger's shoulder or face mask? I couldn't really tell, there wasn't a good replay angle. Just really unlucky imo.

You have to judge actions not results in football. It was a yellow card offense, regardless of the unfortunate outcome.
Yeah, I may be reading too much into it. My hunch is they'd take a smashed up de Bruyne on the sidelines in exchange for a yellow at any stage of that match.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
De Bruyne has said he has a fractured nose and fractured orbital socket. Toni does not back down from contact, but I cannot think of a single time he has laid a dirty hit.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Would love to see that close up footage though, it's not in frame on that YT video I posted.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
De Bruyne deserved a red, you can't run at people like that.

KeanoMagicHat

I thought it could have been a red, he shouldered him in the face. He plants his foot there and plans to take out De Bruyne. Unfortunate what happened. You still get done for manslaughter if you punch someone and their head hits the curb, so it was still a red for me, in the same way that very few players go into a reckless tackle with the aim of breaking a leg or an ankle but they still do it.

Similarities with Ramos, and also Neuer on Higuain in the 2014 World Cup final.

Irrational.

It was 100% intentional, but karma for what Fernandinho does several times a game, often escaping even a booking in the process. Feck those tactical fouling shits.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Rudiger is a complete shithouse on the pitch and this block was deliberate of course and probably deserving of the yellow card it got.
I know he's an absolute shithouse, which is why he's probably your best defender (in my view). I remember McTominay thinking he could get into a physical duel with him and Rudiger spent the rest of the game bullying him. I'm just wondering whether he attempted to take him out of the game, which you can't say 100% given the footage, but that's my hunch. Congrats by the way, well deserved :D

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
I thought it could have been a red, he shouldered him in the face. He plants his foot there and plans to take out De Bruyne. Unfortunate what happened. You still get done for manslaughter if you punch someone and their head hits the curb, so it was still a red for me, in the same way that very few players go into a reckless tackle with the aim of breaking a leg or an ankle but they still do it.

Similarities with Ramos, and also Neuer on Higuain in the 2014 World Cup final.

Strange analogy. You’d also be done for manslaughter if you randomly slide tackle someone outside a pub and they smash their head on the ground. Totally irrelevant to what happens on the pitch. It’s never a red card in a million years.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea

I'm watching in slow motion btw.
At the last moment Toni reaches out to try to soften the impact, a cheap shot would be him moving his body into the collision. He was blocking him, a foul... but I do not think he was intending to hurt him.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
KdB has a broken nose and eye socket. Some hit.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I know he's an absolute shithouse, which is why he's probably your best defender (in my view). I remember McTominay thinking he could get into a physical duel with him and Rudiger spent the rest of the game bullying him. I'm just wondering whether he attempted to take him out of the game, which you can't say 100% given the footage, but that's my hunch. Congrats by the way, well deserved :D
He certainly meant to clatter him in my opinion. It's happened to me a million times and I've done it a thousand times.

Kinda part and parcel of the game for me.

KeanoMagicHat

Strange analogy. You’d also be done for manslaughter if you randomly slide tackle someone outside a pub and they smash their head on the ground. Totally irrelevant to what happens on the pitch. It’s never a red card in a million years.
It's seriously dangerous play, so there is an argument for violent conduct, why do players get red cards for bad tackles? Danger to the player, risk of injury. What Rudiger did was a high risk of injury.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Absolutely an intentional foul. Do people think it deserves any more than a yellow though (on the basis that it was dangerous play I suppose?). I think the yellow was fair and KDB was just unlucky.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He certainly meant to clatter him in my opinion. It's happened to me a million times and I've done it a thousand times.

Kinda part and parcel of the game for me.
He intentionally stays in the way while taking defensive position. Most people will probably disagree with me but I don't think that it should be a foul, De Bruyne is the one moving and accelerating toward Rudiger and he isn't looking where he goes.

The Hilton

On first viewing I was skeptical that it was even a foul - looked like Rudiger braced himself because KDB was able to charge into him.

Watching the replay I can see it being a foul, but I think the yellow was because of the injury that came out of it.

The key thing is that Rudiger didn't move to block, he just braced when KDB ran i into the space he was occupying.

Andersons Dietician

Kinda weird, like I have no doubt that in his thinking Rudiger was aware that he’ll be blocking KDB the moment he puts the brakes on but I doubt he’s intentionally thought right I’m going to do you one. I thought even a yellow card was a bit harsh to be honest but then you’d have been lucky to get a free kick for that in the games I played.

bsCallout

On first viewing I was skeptical that it was even a foul - looked like Rudiger braced himself because KDB was able to charge into him.

Watching the replay I can see it being a foul, but I think the yellow was because of the injury that came out of it.

The key thing is that Rudiger didn't move to block, he just braced when KDB ran i into the space he was occupying.
Rudiger didn't move to block? Are you watching the same video? His right leg literally steps across to block the path.

amsoUG

KDB should have continued to play, don't know why he went off! Players are too soft these days. Then players used to play with blood oozing out of the head!

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Intentional foul but not intentional damage

kiristao

Not a red for me. Intentional foul definitely but it's not like he put his arms or elbow in De Bruyne's face.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Lmfao no way a red. Rudi had the same thing happen to him in the first leg at Madrid. Hence the broken jaw and mask.

Nick7

He deliberately blocked him, he didn’t deliberately try to reconfigure De Bryune’s face. That was just unlucky. He got a deserved yellow card.