Rugby League 2022

StuCol

Chimp
New season starts early due to the delayed World Cup. Challenge cup games from January. League starts in March. Interesting to see how the league deals with 2 trips to France per team per season. Looking forward to the all French Superleague Derbys though.
Apparently Sky have given RL 2 seasons to sort its act out on a reduced contract. Championship and league 1 funding has been hit extremely hard. Expect to see something akin to Franchising return for next season. Up with the drawbridge I guess. RFL and Superleague are such a shambolic group I’m not holding out much hope for a good resolution for the sport as a whole.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
The popularity of this thread kind of tells the story of the sport
I’m surprised to be honest, given that rugby league’s a north-England sport primarily. The union thread is pretty active, owing in part to the throng of Irish posters we have on the caf

StuCol

Chimp
I’m surprised to be honest, given that rugby league’s a north-England sport primarily. The union thread is pretty active, owing in part to the throng of Irish posters we have on the caf
I only really like Union at International level.

league is great to watch. It’s just so badly mismanaged

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I love Rugby league and watch a lot of the Australian league. One of my peeves with the English league is that broadcast is so poor. For some reason there are games where there is no way to watch at all which is ridiculous in 2022

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I'm optimistic for Wigan's chances this year; we actually bought a prop or two and we're bedding in a few other exciting players. The early signs in preseason are good and the camp looks easier on the eye than the shambles we had last term. More generally I agree it's hard to be optimistic about the game's future; it would be devilishly difficult to steer RL through these times for a competent set of officials but the shower we have to put up with have no chance.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I only really like Union at International level.

league is great to watch. It’s just so badly mismanaged
I’m a union man but got a lot of time for league, it’s extremely watchable and I don’t buy into the shite attitude that you have to be a fan of one or the other. That being said I don’t keep up with the machinations of league….why is it mismanaged?
Is super league not getting the viewers it used to?

StuCol

Chimp
I’m a union man but got a lot of time for league, it’s extremely watchable and I don’t buy into the shite attitude that you have to be a fan of one or the other. That being said I don’t keep up with the machinations of league….why is it mismanaged?
Is super league not getting the viewers it used to?
Not really no. No superstars anymore. Been some great grand finals last couple times as well.
Both Superleague and (especially) RFL seem to have no clue what they are doing.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Not really no. No superstars anymore. Been some great grand finals last couple times as well.
Both Superleague and (especially) RFL seem to have no clue what they are doing.
Funny because the NRL is eating union down under….union is the third choice sport for up-and-coming talent behind NRL & Aussie rules, though union has been a bit resurgent in recent years.
I think both codes have suffered heavily with covid at a lower level and there’s also the concussion issue becoming more prevalent, not sure about league butI’m pretty sure union has all-time low participation at amateur level. Hopefully it’s cyclical and just a low ebb

StuCol

Chimp
I have some contacts in the sport. Hence I’m aware if the ultimatum that Sky have given Superleague and RFL.
If seen some shocking decisions and appointments over the last few years. And RFL in particular have no concept of even appearing professional

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Wigan looked decent tonight, far better than they looked all of last season. I'm still cautiously optimistic, but Saints are definitely the team to beat.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I've been away this week and heard about Inga Tuigamala's death in the airport. Shocking to lose him at only 52, if I'm honest he played for Wigan a little before my time of being an active fan of the game but he was always spoken about by everybody in the highest regard, as a player and as a bloke.

Ollie Derbyshire

I've been away this week and heard about Inga Tuigamala's death in the airport. Shocking to lose him at only 52, if I'm honest he played for Wigan a little before my time of being an active fan of the game but he was always spoken about by everybody in the highest regard, as a player and as a bloke.
Inga the winga was an amazing player! And top bloke apparently to boot.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Leeds getting nil’d by 30 points at home by Hull FC
I think Leeds have been unlucky with a tough start to the season fixture-wise, and they've been squeezed out three times without looking far short of their opponents. This was awful tonight though.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
NRL started today and because of the broadcast plus the time I end up watching a lot more of that than this league

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I think Leeds have been unlucky with a tough start to the season fixture-wise, and they've been squeezed out three times without looking far short of their opponents. This was awful tonight though.
They achieved something tonight…..made FC look good :lol:

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Wigan took a battering with a really shabby performance at Catalans. Failing to match the conditions + shit discipline + stupid errors against one of the best teams in the league equals a good twatting, no complaints. We're back down to earth and it's crystal clear there's still a hell of a lot of work to be done, which to be fair I get the feeling Peet knew all along.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
United's dire end to the season has made me thank my lucky stars that Wigan seem to be shaping themselves under Matt Peet. When both of my teams are misfiring it's a lonely lonely place :lol:

That was a great win on what's become a bogey ground for us. Wakey had some injuries but we were ruthless in the second half after they had really taken the game to us. The draw is fine by me; somehow beat Saints at Elland Road and we'd go into the final against Hudds or HKR as favourites, get beat and at least I won't have to waste my time and money going down to London to potentially get a boning off Saints.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I cawn't speke! We've just had an amazing semi final against Saints. I was furious with our disrespect of the ball and constant penalties at the beginning of the second half when we'd done so well in the first. Saying that they were seriously off colour and came roaring back, as they are a quality team.

fecking made up today, and I'm going checking out Spurs' cheese room in three weeks' time.

MUW4Eva

Did no one watch the Challenge Cup final??

It was a cracking game!!

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I watched it from Levy's cheese room! It was a hell of a struggle; they played well and we were very scruffy at times, but we just about got the job done. Quality stadium, quality result(s, feck the scousers!), quality weekend.

DanielofLeyland

A fortunate win for Wigan. Did not play to the best of their ability. Huddersfield unfortunate not to come away with the trophy. Still, as a Wigan fan I'll take that.

If Lolohea had his kicking boots on the cup was theirs. I didn't quite understand their tactics of running it on the last tackle to pin Wigan down in their own 20. This may have been acceptable for one or two sets but with the game in the balance, they should have gone for the killer try. I think they had Wigan on their 10 with 8 minutes to go. Score in that moment and Wigan would not have recovered. Naive tactics perhaps, but they were very unfortunate.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
A fortunate win for Wigan. Did not play to the best of their ability. Huddersfield unfortunate not to come away with the trophy. Still, as a Wigan fan I'll take that.

If Lolohea had his kicking boots on the cup was theirs. I didn't quite understand their tactics of running it on the last tackle to pin Wigan down in their own 20. This may have been acceptable for one or two sets but with the game in the balance, they should have gone for the killer try. I think they had Wigan on their 10 with 8 minutes to go. Score in that moment and Wigan would not have recovered. Naive tactics perhaps, but they were very unfortunate.
I think their tactic of running six tackles and turning over in our ten was to stop Field, French and to a lesser extent Marshall returning kicks into space. They did it throughout the game, not just in the final minutes and it worked in as much as the times our backs were running into broken play were minimal. I also think they were pretty gassed by the 65-70 minute mark (understandably given how hard they worked, and without Hill for the majority of the game) and so figured starting us further back in a controlled manner was preferable to going blow by blow with us for a four-pointer.

I agree Huddersfield were unfortunate given they lost Hill so early, Lolohea missed goal attempts and the fact Smithies didn't get binned for two high shots (particularly the one on Leutele which was arguably a professional foul to boot) but they had a high shot of their own on Farrell go unpunished, we had Cust go off late on, a blatant hand on the ball in a three man tackle lead to one of their first half tries and it was entirely their own decision to not even attempt a try in the last 15 minutes or so and instead attempt to contain us. Given the lateness of our winner of course it's brutal on them but weighing up both sides of the ledger I don't feel we were overly lucky, nor that we 'picked their pockets' or were 'undeserving winners' as I've heard in various forums since the game. When all was said and done they got their noses in front, tried to hang on like grim death in the last 10-15 and very nearly pulled it off, but we won out in the end in a brutally-tough contest in which we were under par, particularly in the first half.

It was great to see the game at the ground, checking out Spurs' cool new facilities (the pints really do fill up from the bottom of the cup!) and obviously so good to get the cup. I'm made up for the players and most of all Peet.

DanielofLeyland

I think their tactic of running six tackles and turning over in our ten was to stop Field, French and to a lesser extent Marshall returning kicks into space. They did it throughout the game, not just in the final minutes and it worked in as much as the times our backs were running into broken play were minimal. I also think they were pretty gassed by the 65-70 minute mark (understandably given how hard they worked, and without Hill for the majority of the game) and so figured starting us further back in a controlled manner was preferable to going blow by blow with us for a four-pointer.
Yeah. I understand the idea but we did find some open play opportunities even with this tactic (and eventually scored). I just felt they needed to go for it in the final ten.

I agree Huddersfield were unfortunate given they lost Hill so early, Lolohea missed goal attempts and the fact Smithies didn't get binned for two high shots (particularly the one on Leutele which was arguably a professional foul to boot) but they had a high shot of their own on Farrell go unpunished, we had Cust go off late on, a blatant hand on the ball in a three man tackle lead to one of their first half tries and it was entirely their own decision to not even attempt a try in the last 15 minutes or so and instead attempt to contain us. Given the lateness of our winner of course it's brutal on them but weighing up both sides of the ledger I don't feel we were overly lucky, nor that we 'picked their pockets' or were 'undeserving winners' as I've heard in various forums since the game. When all was said and done they got their noses in front, tried to hang on like grim death in the last 10-15 and very nearly pulled it off, but we won out in the end in a brutally-tough contest in which we were under par, particularly in the first half.
Smithies deserved to be sent off. Never rated him. However, I agree that Wigan we're just as deserving to win the game. I felt Huddersfield shaded it across the whole 80 but the scoreboard doesn't lie. I felt Wigan could have done better based on what we've seen this year but a win is a win.

It was great to see the game at the ground, checking out Spurs' cool new facilities (the pints really do fill up from the bottom of the cup!) any so good to get the cup. I'm made up for the players and most of all Peet.
Sounds like a great day. Glad you enjoyed and good go see Peet winning trophies instantly.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Yeah. I understand the idea but we did find some open play opportunities even with this tactic (and eventually scored). I just felt they needed to go for it in the final ten.

Smithies deserved to be sent off. Never rated him. However, I agree that Wigan we're just as deserving to win the game. I felt Huddersfield shaded it across the whole 80 but the scoreboard doesn't lie. I felt Wigan could have done better based on what we've seen this year but a win is a win.

Sounds like a great day. Glad you enjoyed and good go see Peet winning trophies instantly.
Yeah all game they had tried to stifle our creativity (we contributed too through our errors) and a try under the sticks would have killed us in those last 15 minutes. I just don't think they had it in them to add to their two point lead given their exertions to get to that stage, which for me personally belies that talk I've heard since the game of 'better team lost' 'Hudds deserved it' etc. when the fact is they had the chance to finish us off but couldn't bring themselves to even try. The missed conversions are a factor to be fair, but you have to play the game you're given to some extent and their game plan ultimately failed to deliver the goods.

My mum has a particular dislike for Smithies and I know he's grubby, but when he sticks to his rugby he's a good player; his offload from a two man tackle for our first try was great and he got through more than 60 tackles. I can see why oppos and even some Wiganers don't like him though.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I think we should all spare a thought for those Huddersfield fans who went down to London for the match and then went to the playoff final as well. Imagine losing with 2 minutes left on the clock and then getting Moss as a ref the next day.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Terrible weekend for Hudds in the capital, and all of their fans who I met were superb too.

MUW4Eva

You try for show, but you kick for dough or something like that, and that proved to be the case for Huddersfield.

Someone needs to go back to kicking practice.

For something soooooooo vital in a game, I have no idea how someone can be sooo God awful at kicking.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
We got a kick in the teeth late on in our Magic game, but in truth we didn't play well enough to deserve the win. I was glad to hear Matt Peet say we should concentrate on what we can learn from the defeat rather than moaning about the red card.

Elsewhere Toulouse won, I hope Warrington end up getting dragged into the relegation scrap!

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
We got a kick in the teeth late on in our Magic game, but in truth we didn't play well enough to deserve the win. I was glad to hear Matt Peet say we should concentrate on what we can learn from the defeat rather than moaning about the red card.

Elsewhere Toulouse won, I hope Warrington end up getting dragged into the relegation scrap!
That's the spirit :lol:

Robindinho

Thought they dominated us in the forwards, even without Walmsley... Didn't understand our interchanges - Shorrocks off around 20, didn't come on again and Partington only on with 3 minutes left - needlessly only played with two subs.

In hindsight, probably not the best idea bringing Cust back, lost our attacking patterns/flow from the last few games. Seemed hesitant in the tackle too.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Thought they dominated us in the forwards, even without Walmsley... Didn't understand our interchanges - Shorrocks off around 20, didn't come on again and Partington only on with 3 minutes left - needlessly only played with two subs.

In hindsight, probably not the best idea bringing Cust back, lost our attacking patterns/flow from the last few games. Seemed hesitant in the tackle too.
Yeah. Peet said it was a learning experience and it certainly was, for all involved on our side. There's no shame in losing to them narrowly but there was a scruffiness to our play I didn't like one bit.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Absolute crap tonight from Wigan. A couple of terrible decisions going against us (since when are you allowed to score a try through your mate's legs at the play-the-ball?) but we deserved a beating such was our play; untidy and erratic in attack and woeful in defense. Mick Cooper with debut to forget too, I'm sure we'll far better from him in the coming games.

No need to panic but lots of work to be done.

Robindinho

Absolute crap tonight from Wigan. A couple of terrible decisions going against us (since when are you allowed to score a try through your mate's legs at the play-the-ball?) but we deserved a beating such was our play; untidy and erratic in attack and woeful in defense. Mick Cooper with debut to forget too, I'm sure we'll far better from him in the coming games.

No need to panic but lots of work to be done.
Shocking... Didn't see it coming either. If anything, don't think the 60-0 helped last week, just weren't switched on defensively.

Yeah, couple of odd calls from the ref/video ref (not that it would have impacted the result).

Wake up call.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Shocking... Didn't see it coming either. If anything, don't think the 60-0 helped last week, just weren't switched on defensively.

Yeah, couple of odd calls from the ref/video ref (not that it would have impacted the result).

Wake up call.
Aye. I'm hearing plenty of 'shut Field and French down and they're beatable' etc. French scored one and made one tonight so I don't think that applies, the truth is the whole team were shut down by being outworked and beaten in our application to the basics. We have these performances in us (this, Catalans, the cup final which we thankfully came through) where we disrespect possession with poor passing and worse handling, and we get rushed into daft decisions in attack. On our day we can obliterate most teams and can catch Saints out too, but when we're off it it's an extremely frustrating watch.

Peet has already gone far above expectations this year so it's been something of a free hit for me since the final, and we've played some great stuff along the way. It would just be shame to crash the season with one or two of these stinking performances in the business end of the season.

Robindinho

Aye. I'm hearing plenty of 'shut Field and French down and they're beatable' etc. French scored one and made one tonight so I don't think that applies, the truth is the whole team were shut down by being outworked and beaten in our application to the basics. We have these performances in us (this, Catalans, the cup final which we thankfully came through) where we disrespect possession with poor passing and worse handling, and we get rushed into daft decisions in attack. On our day we can obliterate most teams and can catch Saints out too, but when we're off it it's an extremely frustrating watch.

Peet has already gone far above expectations this year so it's been something of a free hit for me since the final, and we've played some great stuff along the way. It would just be shame to crash the season with one or two of these stinking performances in the business end of the season.
Still think we'll be fine, come the business end of the season but as you said, it does happen now and then - you can see it within the first 5-10 minutes that we're out-enthused and we always seem to struggle to get the momentum back when that happens.

I think we're too loyal at times with homegrown players and end up carrying them... As a side note, surely we have a centre (Halsall), instead of keep playing Isa there - needlessly flew out of the line last night and cost 2 tries.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Still think we'll be fine, come the business end of the season but as you said, it does happen now and then - you can see it within the first 5-10 minutes that we're out-enthused and we always seem to struggle to get the momentum back when that happens.

I think we're too loyal at times with homegrown players and end up carrying them... As a side note, surely we have a centre (Halsall), instead of keep playing Isa there - needlessly flew out of the line last night and cost 2 tries.
Both Isa and Bibby, good blokes and decent utility men though they are, are weak links in this team. I thoroughly hope we're looking to strengthen the 3/4 line as a priority for next season, whether that's from within the club (giving Halsall more of a look-in as you say) or from outside (I keep hearing Wardle will be here next year, watch us end up with Toby King though!).

You're right to keep things in perspective. We had our pants pulled firmly round our ankles last night but I'm hopeful we can finish strongly and give the play-offs a good go. For me Peet is something of a victim of his own success given I didn't expect a trophy this year and would have been happy having a middling season where we build for next year, but having got a cup in the cabinet and proven we can mix it at the top I would be more disappointed with a meek play-off campaign than if we'd have the lost the cup semi final (certainly a good problem to have as they go!).

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Flipped on sky assuming FC vs Saints would be on…..it’s not. What the actual feck has happened to Superleague? The hundred is on every bloody channel (and terrestrial) but no Superleague?