Rugby League Super League 2010

jgraham

Company man, hitched.
punching cats for eggs at a dustbin near you
So it's that time of year again, Super league 15 kicks off on Friday with Leeds taking on the newly named and located Crusaders. Leeds will no doubt be heading into the season as favourites but there have been a fair few signings that will make sure that this season will be one of the most entertaining yet!

For my team the Saints we go into the league without the mercurial Sean Long who's crossed the pennines to Hull FC and Lee Gilmour who's for me strangely been allowed to join the dangerous looking Huddersfield Giants. making the opposite trip is Scott Moore who Saints loaned out to the Giants last season, during which Moore became a key player for the Giants and forced his way into the England reckoning. Also coming in are old favourite Nick Fozzard who joins after a season away at Hull KR and the monster that is Sia Soliola. The kiwi international loves the big hits and offers great go forward and will be a major force in Super League.

On a sad note for the Saints it's our last year at one of Rugby leagues most famous grounds - Knowsley Road. It's more a sentiment thing because the ground holds great memories but the place is falling to bits now and to keep up with the rest of the teams in the League we'll need to quickly move to our new home, which is still 2 years away from being complete!

Anyway here's my guide to the teams and players to watch out for....

Bradford
The Bulls have had a poor few seasons with a whole host of bigger names moving away from the Odsal but they've signed well this year and although I don't think they'll challenge at the top they'll definitely give any team a game on their day.Matt Orford and Heath l'Estrange are two good signings but i've my doubts over whether at 32 Orford is maybe a bit too old and just on the lookout for a nice pension fund. With saying that though if Orford can hit the highs with the Bulls he'll be a class act for them and for that reason he's my one to watch for the Bulls.

Castleford
The tigers have a relatively young squad but in the youngsters they have some potential world beaters in my opinion. Westerman and Owen are destined to do big things in the game. They've not really bought anybody of real note into their squad for this season and have put their faith in what they have, but i've a feeling they'll struggle in doing that. yes they've got some quality players but have they a squad capable of competing week in week out? Rangi Chase is a class above for me and is my one to watch this year for the Tigers.

Catalans
The french club have caused plenty of upsets over the years and i've no doubt that they'll carry on doing that this season. They can take anybody on at home and if the league was decided on home results i'd put Les Cats up at the top, but it isn't and they'll need to get some of the big results they have managed to get on their home pitch whilst on the road. Greg Bird is a big loss to them, but new signings Sa and Walker will go some way to replacing the influential Aussie. Thomas Bosc is their new skipper this year and he'll need to be on his game throughout if they are to be serious contenders. Fullback Clint Greenshields gets better each season and he's my one to watch for the Dragons

Crusader
The old Celtic Crusaders have had a major overhall in the off season that has not only seen them drop the celtic name from their banner but also seen them move from deepest Wales to a more northern Wrexham home. They've got no real identity or fans for that matter and in this season all's I think they can hope for is to get a bit of stability and a good base to move on from in future. They've an experienced coach in Brian Noble who isn't used to playing with limited resources and some big name backroom staff in Harris and Sharp. They've signed a handful of players including tricky winger Gareth Raynor and journeyman forward Jamie Thackary but a lot will depend on how their lesser players handle the big stage. Michael Witt is a player who not many will have heard of but he's got bags of talent and will look to take to league quite quickly and if he can come to terms with the pace of the game he'll be a good player for them, and my one to watch for the Crusaders.

Harlequins
The London club performed quite well for 3 quarters of last season but seemed to drop off towards the end, maybe their lack of experience at the 'business end' of the season saw them struggle. I can't really see them challenging this year and thing the best they can hope for is a lower playoff position. Brian McDermott though is a coach who won't settle for that and he'll be doing everything in his power to ensure his team puts up a prolonged challenge this time round. No big signings made really and like the Tigers they'll be relying heavily on the talent they have already at the club. Bearing in mind the clubs catchment are you'd have to imagine they've a youngster or two just ready to burst onto the scene. Louis Mccarthy-Scarsbrook is their big hope having made a name for him during the 08 season, last season he didn't seem to hit the heights expected of him due to injury but I think this season we'll see him step up and show himself as being one of the leagues better youngsters, my one to watch.

Huddersfield
The Giants had a massive season in 09 and looked like real contenders. Nathan Brown instilled in his team a real belief that they could compete and he'll have to hope that this for him isn't a case of second season syndrome. They've made a handful of shrewd signings and Lee Gilmour will give them another dimension in the pack. If they can keep their main players injury free for the majority of the season ten you'd have to at least expect them to push for the top 4 and if Brett Hodgson can replicate his 09 Man of steel winning form then they'll be a match for any team. I can't look past Brett Hodgson who's most influential player to be their one to watch in 2010.

I'll finish my season preview tomorrow but in the meantime feel free to add any comments you have on the up coming season and i'll add part two into the second post i've made for it.

jgraham

Company man, hitched.
Hull FC
Hull were another team that massively disappointed last season and in an effort to get back to where they believe they belong they've drafted in a number of experienced players. Sean Long is perhaps their biggest signing but has age finally caught up with the ex Saints chief? he's had his fair share of injuries and has to rely more on his brain than legs so could maybe struggle to have the impact many Hull fans will expect from him, but should he fit in well from the off he'll no doubt have plenty of joy leading Hulls pretty formidable pack around the pitch. They've also brought in experienced Aussie Duo Mark O'Meley and craig Fitzgibbon, both I think will be major players fro Hull this year with O'Meley being the one who I think should catch the eye and he's my one to watch for the Airlie Birds. If the experience they've brought in can help bring some stability and a decent level of performance to Hull then I can see them pushing hard this year and a play off spot is a certainty I feel - anything less will once again be seen as major underachievement.

Hull KR
Cash strapped Hull Kr come into the season having managed a 4th place position in 09 and will carry the burden of being Hulls number 1 team. But how long will that last? major financial constraints have maybe limited the players they've been able to attract and only have one or two new players who'll come in and make any sort of impact. In Micheal Dobson they've a great player whom much will depend on but he can only do so much, they'll need the likes of Newton and Galea to hit the heights they did last term if they are to come close to bettering or at least matching their 4th place finish last year. Unfortunately for Hull many of the teams who i'd have expected to challenge last year who struggled have invested well and moved forward whereas Hull haven't and for me a lower play off place finish will be the best they can hope for.As I say though Michael Dobson has to have a massive season if they are to do anything and he's my one to watch for these.

Leeds
The Leeds Rhinos have performed brilliantly over the past 3 seasons and 3 Grand Final victories pretty much tell that story. They'll come into the new season brimming with confidence and will unquestionably go into the season as favourites.They've not really lost any of their mainstay apart from Lee Smith who crossed codes to go to Union - he'll be missed but Leeds have some fantastic young talent to come in and ensure he's not missed too much. In to Leeds finally comes Greg Eastwood, this lad can play a bit and at Leeds I expect him to dominate games and take them onto another level. At 22 he's not over here for a pension fund, but to prove his worth and with 12 Kiwi caps already to his name he's shown already he's got the ability to take on the best. Eastwood is definitely my one to watch and even as a Saints fan i'll make sure to catch him in action as much as I can.

Salford
Salford to me this season lack any real depth to their squad having not really brought any players of not in and seeing a number of their more experienced and influential players leave. Richie Myler will be a massive loss and John Wilshire too but it'll be up to Sean McCrae to get the best out of what he has. Matty Smith has come in on loan with Steven Tyrer, Smith has long threatened to become a fairly decent player but for one reason or another he's never really made the jump many expected of him as a youngster at Saints. Could this be his year to shine for the reds? Stefan Ratchford is likely to line up along side him in the backs and he's a real shining star in this Salford outfit - he's the one to watch in their team and will want a big season and don't be surprised if he's pushing for international selection come the Autumn.

St Helens
3 successive grand Final defeats will really be hurting the players at my team and i'm certain there'll be no team in Super League more determined to go on to win the League this year. However we're going through something of a transition period at the minute with Sean Long leaving his number 7 duties to the exciting Kyle Eastmond and Keiron Cunningham slowly being phased out in his final season. Eastmond has everything to his game and will be one of the greats but this season will all be about striking up a partnership with the hit an miss Leon Pryce. If they can come to some understanding then they'll cause any team in the world problems and a lot rests on these gelling. Sia Soliola is our major signing and he'll certainly be one to watch. A quick youtube search will show you exactly what this lad is all about - I expect him to score a decent amount of tries but also come up with the hits in the bigger games that tend to change things in our favour.

Wakefield
Each year for me the Wildcats are that lower league team than will always cause an upset or two throughout the course of the season, this year will be no different in my view but surely the fans will expect them to start pushing on and to become more of a force within the league. They've got some useful players, but none for me stand out as being world class. Turnover wise they've seen a lot of players leave and brought in a fair few too with terry newton, Ben Jefferies and Glen Morrison all arriving from Bradford. Their experience will no doubt benefit the Wildcats but again my only concern would be whether they can still cut it. Paul Johnson also comes in and he falls into the same category as the 3 previously mentioned lads - no doubt in his day he was a good player but have age and injury taken their toll. One man arriving who should have no trouble adapting and making his presence felt is man mountain prop forward Shane Tronc, this lad will take some stopping and providing he gets enough game time he'll be the Wakefield one to watch

Warrington
The Wolves have threatened now for a few seasons to make the money laid into the club count but have failed to maintain any kind of form throughout a season and without a doubt failed to hit the heights many have expected from them. Over the years they've added some very good players to their squad and this year has been no exception. Richard Myler and Ryan Atkins are two different players though this year, for one they're not mega bucks foreign imports and secondly they are players on the up in their career and this can only be a good thing for the Wolves. Myler has the potential to be an international half back for the next ten years, and Warrington will hope he progresses in the way he has over the past 2 seasons at Salford. Atkins is another who's on the up and he's a player who'll for me cause no end of problems for most teams. If these two can fit in to Warringtons style of play quickly and the likes of Matt King, Adrian Morley & the Andersons can maintain some good form then i've no doubt the Wire will this year make a challenge for the Super League trophy, who knows they might just beat us this year round! Myler will catch the eye no doubt but Matt King for me is due a massive season and as such he's my one to watch for the Warrington club.

Wigan
Last and Least we have the Wigan Warriors, over the last 5 years Wigan have struggled to make any real impact on the league but last season it seemed to many that they'd turned a corner and were unlucky not to make a couple of finals. They've got the ability to match any team on their day but can at times let them selves down against lower opposition. New coach Micheal Maguire will have to drum that out of them and ensure they keep taking it to the so called bigger teams. Young Tomkins offers a lot and will want to pick up on where he left of last season and if he does that then Wigan will be there or thereabouts come the end of the season. In terms of comings and goings Paul Deacon is the only player who's arrived at the DW and in all honesty it's fair to say he's seen better days. Wigan will have to hope the same squad from last year take their game up a level and i'm sure the Wigan fans will expect a final appearance at the very minimum such is their expectation level. Darrell Goulding is a player I always enjoy to watch and can turn games in Wigans favour single handedly and as such he's my one to watch for the Warriors

kristinson

Good opening Jgray, really looking forward to this season unlike recent years there are at least 6 teams who will be highly competitive. Of course im hoping Wigan will prevail at the end of the season but it is unlikely no matter how many lambs boothy sacrifices to the rugby gods. I think we are simply just too light in the forwards, when andy coley is constantly your starting prop forward you know you have problems. we are also lacking some inventivness behind the scrum minus sam tomkins of course (who i tip to be player of the year this season). Riddle didn't really float my boat last year. It will be interesting to see paul deacon's influence also.

I hear rumblings of warrington threatening the big 2 this year, whilst I can see why based on last years performances im still not conviced they have what it takes to transfer their cup form into league form plus i fecking hate lee briars, chavy feckstick, such a punchable face. But an outside bet would be worthwhile.

this year as much as I hate to say it but I reckon that this is the year the saints do the business in all competitions. They havent lost too many and havent signed many which makes for a very angry bitter, determined squad who will remember the hurt from last yaer, and will be looking to take revenge for last season. This of course is good for them but ominous for the rest of the super league.

Outside chance of doing something this year......Dont laught.....but watch out for the Bulls!!!

Oh and lets pray steve ganson injures himself at some point during the opening weekend and is out of reffing for the season. Consistently leeds best player last season by a long shot.

Leeds
St Helens
Warrington

That's my top three, seems to be murmurings of going back to 12 teams when the licences are back up

Northstand

Very good OP, JG. Was looking forward to your write-up on Warrington!

Boothy

heh can't wait for your wigan one jgray :D

Great OP though, not long now :D

Boothy

Good opening Jgray, really looking forward to this season unlike recent years there are at least 6 teams who will be highly competitive. Of course im hoping Wigan will prevail at the end of the season but it is unlikely no matter how many lambs boothy sacrifices to the rugby gods. I think we are simply just too light in the forwards, when andy coley is constantly your starting prop forward you know you have problems. we are also lacking some inventivness behind the scrum minus sam tomkins of course (who i tip to be player of the year this season). Riddle didn't really float my boat last year. It will be interesting to see paul deacon's influence also.

I hear rumblings of warrington threatening the big 2 this year, whilst I can see why based on last years performances im still not conviced they have what it takes to transfer their cup form into league form plus i fecking hate lee briars, chavy feckstick, such a punchable face. But an outside bet would be worthwhile.

this year as much as I hate to say it but I reckon that this is the year the saints do the business in all competitions. They havent lost too many and havent signed many which makes for a very angry bitter, determined squad who will remember the hurt from last yaer, and will be looking to take revenge for last season. This of course is good for them but ominous for the rest of the super league.

Outside chance of doing something this year......Dont laught.....but watch out for the Bulls!!!

Oh and lets pray steve ganson injures himself at some point during the opening weekend and is out of reffing for the season. Consistently leeds best player last season by a long shot.
YES! Not the only wigan fan :D

WireRed

Can't wait for this. I'm a huge Wire supporter and as usual we are feeling quite buoyant about our chances, we've often fallen flat on our face in the past but this is different, difference being that we have a proper coach who knows how to win trophies and a squad that has tasted silverware.

Leeds will again be the benchmark for the rest of the comp with Wire(hopefully), Saints and Wigan pushing them all the way to OT.

I feel Catalans will also be strong despite the loss of Greg Bird. A potential darkhorse.

I don't buy the hype with Bradford and Hull FC. One player, even as good as Matt Orford can't arrest a club's decline, the loss of Burgess will show aswell IMO. FC have bought great players, problem being that they are no longer great, past it by about 3-4 years.

My predictions:
Top 8:
Leeds
Wire (GF Winners)
Saints
Wigan
Catalans
Huddersfield
Hull FC(After Agar is gone)
Bradford

Michael Monaghan to win Man of Steel.

kristinson

feck this is hard to watch, the snow on the pitch is bizarre, really hurting the eyes.

Boothy

This snow is weird.

Already sick of stevo.

Crusaders doing well so far :)

jgraham

Company man, hitched.
Thought Crusaders did really well for the first hour considering they'd not managed to get a friendly in beforehand with so many new faces. Class shown through in the end but if Crusaders can go on to show that this wasn't just a one off performance then they'll do ok this year.

Boothy

Dont know if you remember about that lad I told you who's signed for saints, jgray, but his names now on the website so he got all excited :lol:

Boothy

Leeds Rhinos 10 - 24 Castleford Tigers :lol::lol:

Wigan Warriors 38 - 6 Celtic Crusaders :D :D

jgraham

Company man, hitched.
Where did Cas pull that one from?!

From all accounts they played Leeds off the pitch for large spells of the game and defended really well too - will be interesting to see how they back up from that.

Wigan, well that result was never really in any doubt was it - it'll possibly take Crusaders 8-10 games to get a victory i reckon.

I watched the Hudds - Brad game and thought it was a pretty decent game, Huddersfield looked to have picked up where they left off last year and Bradford look more promising. The two halfbacks Kearney and Orford look to have potential together and with a few games under their belts they'll no doubt have more end product. hudds will have to get used to Lee Gilmour too, for all the good he offers he doesn't half give away some silly penaltys!

Big game today - I really can't wait to see how we do against Hull. Looking forward to seeing all the new blokes for both sides and also to see how Long copes.

mjdj

Thats a great season preview but it really highlights how poor the league is.

Orford was pretty much past it over here and his decision making was becoming infuriating for Manly fans. Le Snak is not that great a player but will be useful coming off the bench for the Bulls.

Michael Witt is a nothing player who will do absolutely nothing at 5/8. He is just so average. Great goal kicker though...

O Meley and Fitzy will be powerhouses and provide good grunt. I think O Meley could have got a gig over here still.

Greg Eastwood is probably the best player mentioned on the list. He will tear it up.

King was great but Tronc was an average player.

Im more interested in how young Burgess goes down here. The speed of the game will catch him in the 1st few rounds I think.

Northstand

Warrington 58 Quins 0. Five tries for Chris Riley. Great start for the Wire.

jgraham

Company man, hitched.
Thats a great season preview but it really highlights how poor the league is.

Orford was pretty much past it over here and his decision making was becoming infuriating for Manly fans. Le Snak is not that great a player but will be useful coming off the bench for the Bulls.

Michael Witt is a nothing player who will do absolutely nothing at 5/8. He is just so average. Great goal kicker though...

O Meley and Fitzy will be powerhouses and provide good grunt. I think O Meley could have got a gig over here still.

Greg Eastwood is probably the best player mentioned on the list. He will tear it up.

King was great but Tronc was an average player.

Im more interested in how young Burgess goes down here. The speed of the game will catch him in the 1st few rounds I think.

I wouldn't say it was poor, there's an awful lot of young talent coming through at the minute.

The league starts properly next week!;)

Boothy

I wouldn't say it was poor, there's an awful lot of young talent coming through at the minute.

The league starts properly next week!;)
Who've you got next?

Wigan vs Hull KR

But I'll be at the willows watching the two worst teams in the league :D:lol:

SL to remain at 14 teams

I'm pleased that they've decided to keep it at 14 teams, will be interesting to see what changes are made

Got to think Wakefield, Salford and Cas are susceptible to getting the drop

jgraham

Company man, hitched.
SL to remain at 14 teams

I'm pleased that they've decided to keep it at 14 teams, will be interesting to see what changes are made

Got to think Wakefield, Salford and Cas are susceptible to getting the drop
There's not really a lot outside the SL at the minute who I think would bring more to the league than the likes of the teams you mention. Widnes potentially but they've been up and down that much over the years you'd have to question them being able to maintain a License.

I'd say Salford would be the easy choice if I had to chop one from the league but i still can't help but think that given the right marketing and promotion of the club an their new ground should it come then they've a massive target audience to aim at and could potentially be a great asset in years to come.

Saying all this we're not looking any closer to getting into a new stadium any time soon and there's a strong possibility we'll be groundsharing with Widnes for more than a season - which wouldn't be great.

Tribec

There's not really a lot outside the SL at the minute who I think would bring more to the league than the likes of the teams you mention. Widnes potentially but they've been up and down that much over the years you'd have to question them being able to maintain a License.

I'd say Salford would be the easy choice if I had to chop one from the league but i still can't help but think that given the right marketing and promotion of the club an their new ground should it come then they've a massive target audience to aim at and could potentially be a great asset in years to come.

Saying all this we're not looking any closer to getting into a new stadium any time soon and there's a strong possibility we'll be groundsharing with Widnes for more than a season - which wouldn't be great.
The problem is the new stadium, they need to get working on it. Till that point they are in danger of being dropped for either Leigh or Widnes. It would be a shame for my team to be dropped, and I'm sure to get a load of stick from my Swinton supporting friends for it. However, till they move from the Willow's they've got no hope of being nothing more than bottom half of the table fodder.

Credit to Wilkinson for keeping the club going, but they've hardly set the world on fire in recent years, and I can't remember the last time Salford made a signing when I've gone WOW.

Salford's advantage is I guess like Harlequins, Celtic Crusaders and Catalans in their respective areas, they want to try and grow the game in Manchester

So, I suspect they have got a decent shot at getting another licence and see where they are next time it comes round

Northstand

Off to watch salford with the girlfriend :lol:

Come on Wigan :D
You must have it bad if you're prepared to let her drag you to Salford when the Pies are playing Boothy. Love's first bloom, obviously.

Wigan 10-0 up against Hull KR

I'm liking what I am seeing from Wigan, they look so quick and strong, you can definitely see the work the new guy has done with them

Boothy

You must have it bad if you're prepared to let her drag you to Salford when the Pies are playing Boothy. Love's first bloom, obviously.
Sounded like a cracker at Wigan, but this weekend has been designated as a lovey weekend, so had to go to salford with her.

feck me Salford are actually shite, fair play to crusaders, looked good, but helped immensely by the shite defensive play by the Reds.

Good win for Wigan though :D

WireRed

Sounded like a cracker at Wigan, but this weekend has been designated as a lovey weekend, so had to go to salford with her.

feck me Salford are actually shite, fair play to crusaders, looked good, but helped immensely by the shite defensive play by the Reds.

Good win for Wigan though :D
Don't worry, we'll will give you Pies a royal, rugby league stuffing down at the HJ next week ;):D

Boothy

Don't worry, we'll will give you Pies a royal, rugby league stuffing down at the HJ next week ;):D
Should be a good one, the two on form teams so far, great win for wire last week, can see them having a good win this week also

WireRed

Should be a good one, the two on form teams so far, great win for wire last week, can see them having a good win this week also
Aye, a cracker on the cards next week. I've got South stand tickets :D Can't wait.

Knowing Wire, we'll probably get legged up at Cas tomorrow :mad: