Rugby World Cup 2019 aka Squishy McSquish goes into a meltdown thread

Thisistheone

Absolute rugby clinic from South Africa today. Destroyed England more so than England bottling it imo. Two superb tries. Kolbe leaving Farrell on his arse was a great moment. The icing on the cake though, Kolisi lifting the World Cup. Really special.

Lot of egg on a lot of peoples faces after this result

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
New Zealand have lost a quarter final or semi final 5 times and the 1991 Wallabies remain the only team knock New Zealand out en route to becoming world champions.

Traub

New Zealand have lost a quarter final or semi final 5 times and the 1991 Wallabies remain the only team knock New Zealand out en route to becoming world champions.
South Africa 95 :) although I get your point - prior to the final.

Also, besides for 95 final, we haven't beaten Aus or NZ in a knockout game at a world cup I think (this is entirely based off memory).

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
South Africa 95 :) although I get your point - prior to the final.

Also, besides for 95 final, we haven't beaten Aus or NZ in a knockout game at a world cup I think (this is entirely based off memory).
Your're right although there have been some very close games. Congrats on the win too by the way.

Traub

Your're right although there have been some very close games. Congrats on the win too by the way.
thanks :) ya, we always close but I get the feeling we have some mental block against the other original tri nations teams.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Congrats to the Springboks.
They totally out muscled England today and are deserved champions.
Tough on England but they had no answer to the Boks.

Hopefully this will have a positive and long lasting affect in SA. The sight of the fans celebrating in Port Elizabeth, etc was a joy to watch.

RooneyLegend

First off, his name is Farrell not Ferrell although that is probably would pronounce it. The Boks haven’t played anyone with the pace and power that England have. We will run the Boks forwards into the ground and smash them in the last quarter. As for not being able to score a 60mt breakaway try, catch Jonny May if you can. England by ten points.
Take it this didnt go according to plan...its like you were intensionally trying to be wrong.

Kopral Jono

He just let some have a go for longer than he let others have a go for.

SA's momentum was built through a combination of their excellence, the injury to Sinckler and the referee giving them the edge in early decisions.
This, times a hundred and fifty. That sentence sums the whole game up for me.

It was always an uphill battle for England as soon as Sinckler went off so early in the game for obvious reasons, and like you said some of the refereeing early on didn't help. They were rattled to their very core as a result and I can't help but wonder if the pressure in the end was too much for them after last week. The funny thing is, despite everything, I genuinely think they started the second half with a bit of momentum and things could easily have gone differently if Farrell had kicked that penalty to make it 15-18.

But that's not to take anything away from South Africa, no way. If there's a rugby union equivalent to Mourinho's masterclass ten years ago in those two games in the Champions League semifinal against Barcelona, that was it. They were absolutely magnificent in their focus and execution.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
:lol:, not a bad idea, but i prefer Erasmus myself, the man had a plan and executed it to perfection. Something our politicians cpild learn from. No moans and groans, just handling his business.
@diarm are Munster people still put out by the way he left, or does today's achievement sort of put it in perspective? He's answered his country's call in unbelievable fashion.

Edit: Oh yeah, worth mentioning too that Felix Jones now has being a coach as part of world cup winning team on his CV :D

tentan

Poor man's poster.
South Africa were superb. Thought England had this one but they had no answer today.

Thisistheone

This, times a hundred and fifty. That sentence sums the whole game up for me.

It was always an uphill battle for England as soon as Sinckler went off so early in the game for obvious reasons, and like you said some of the refereeing early on didn't help. They were rattled to their very core as a result and I can't help but wonder if the pressure in the end was too much for them after last week. The funny thing is, despite everything, I genuinely think they started the second half with a bit of momentum and things could easily have gone differently if Farrell had kicked that penalty to make it 15-18.

But that's not to take anything away from South Africa, no way. If there's a rugby union equivalent to Mourinho's masterclass ten years ago in those two games in the Champions League semifinal against Barcelona, that was it. They were absolutely magnificent in their focus and execution.
The big problem with Mourinho comparison, England ain't Pep's Barca. Far from it. Won nothing this year, lost to Wales in the 6 Nations and blew a 30-0 lead against Scotland. South Africa were the side to score two beautiful tries to England's zero.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Either of the two semi finalists yesterday should comfortably beat either of the two today. Still, anything can happen in a final.
The big problem with Mourinho comparison, England ain't Pep's Barca. Far from it. Won nothing this year, lost to Wales in the 6 Nations and blew a 30-0 lead against Scotland. South Africa were the side to score two beautiful tries to England's zero.
that’s wrong. England are the best side ever and got robbed by the ref. Don’t you know they beat New Zealand and that was the real final? Tsk

that’s wrong. England are the best side ever and got robbed by the ref. Don’t you know they beat New Zealand and that was the real final? Tsk
"Anything can happen in a final". SA played a perfect strategy to break up England's gameplan and force them into stupid mistakes. England were undeniable favourites going into the game.

Anyway, back to football for another 4 years.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
"Anything can happen in a final". SA played a perfect strategy to break up England's gameplan and force them into stupid mistakes. England were undeniable favourites going into the game.

Anyway, back to football for another 4 years.
Different teams play different ways. New Zealand smashed the team that dominated you in the final. It was funny that so many thought just because you’d won your first real test you’d run away with the trophy.
The anything can happen in a final is about freak tries and sendings off isn’t it, not being totally dominated.

Anyway, back to football now :)

diarm

@diarm are Munster people still put out by the way he left, or does today's achievement sort of put it in perspective? He's answered his country's call in unbelievable fashion.

Edit: Oh yeah, worth mentioning too that Felix Jones now has being a coach as part of world cup winning team on his CV :D
I don't think we were ever too upset - he left to coach his country and you can never begrudge a fella that. The timing and speed of it was a bit shite but he left on good terms.

If there was any moaning it was because we knew exactly how good he and Nienaber were. I said after the Rugby Championship this year that had they stayed with Munster, we'd have won at least one more Heineken Cup by now.

I still think they might come back one day. Certainly Nienaber if not Rassie as well. Rassie is a great leader but Jacques is the best actual coach in rugby right now I think.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Different teams play different ways. New Zealand smashed the team that dominated you in the final. It was funny that so many thought just because you’d won your first real test you’d run away with the trophy.
The anything can happen in a final is about freak tries and sendings off isn’t it, not being totally dominated.

Anyway, back to football now :)
Yeah, in Rugby matchups are key. There are teams that you don't want to play because they can exploit your limitations, SA for example is a team that you need to move, you need to be able to run around them and you can't get caught in a scrums, rucks and kicking contest because they will beat you in those areas.

Zen

Love the South African mentality of winning every 12 years to boost the Lions tour selling point....

Bit gutting for England really, but very similar to them executing a great plan on NZ, SA did them same to them, both times doubt either would do the week after. SA deserved it, coming out of it as the team to beat? No...but that's the magic of New Zealand isn't it, for the first time in donkeys, I'd say Engand NEED a grand slam to rebound from this and get going again for 2021, otherwise it could crumble this team when it's talent is exceptional.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Pieter Steph Du Toit was named World Rugby player of the year. Rassie Erasmus won coach of the year. Wayne Barnes was named referee of the year. TJ Perenara won try of the year. Romain Ntamack is this year's breakthrough player of the year. Finally, the Springboks are World Rugby's team of the year.

freeurmind

weak willed
Well deserved for Pieter Steph. One of the unsung heroes of this team. He's so consistent , so versatile does everything so well. Also a real humble guy.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
South Africa were excellent on Saturday, fair play to them. England were rumbled by the injury in the first few minutes and the scrum just never got going at all. Well done SA.

RooneyLegend

Well deserved for Pieter Steph. One of the unsung heroes of this team. He's so consistent , so versatile does everything so well. Also a real humble guy.
One of the very best forwards I've seen play for us. Nothing short of a physical monster. His work rate is the stuff of legend. Mind you he was a lock until very recently.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Would Sinckler have made much of a difference in the end? I'm afraid I don't know him much apart from being hot-headed. I'm sure the team were also shook by him going off, but the SA scrum looked pretty comfortable until well into the second half.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
As a casual viewer, I like the increasing popularity of rugby. The world cups are a welcome and pleasant viewing when there's no footy on TV. Looking forward to 2023.

Thisistheone

Would Sinckler have made much of a difference in the end? I'm afraid I don't know him much apart from being hot-headed. I'm sure the team were also shook by him going off, but the SA scrum looked pretty comfortable until well into the second half.
Must have unsettled them. But then South Africa had 2 injuries inside 20 minutes when the hooker went off and de Jager. Plus Vermeulen and Etzebeth were also carrying shoulder knocks from midway through the first half. If anything, SA couldn't unleash their 'bomb squad' properly like Erasmus would have liked too.

Going back to Sinckler, I guess that is where the difference in depth was. SA had injuries to their pack so brought on Malcolm Marx & then Franco Mostart. World class players who would start for almost every other side. England brought on Dan Cole.

Last edited:

Thisistheone

As a casual viewer, I like the increasing popularity of rugby. The world cups are a welcome and pleasant viewing when there's no footy on TV. Looking forward to 2023.
It was a brilliant World Cup. In the meantime between now & the next one, we have all the countries doing a bit of a rebuild. Will be interesting to see the big 6 or 7 sides develop with new coaches and players coming in. France especially will be a side to watch. Think they won the recent U20 World Cup and already have big talents breaking into the senior side. As hosts they will fancy winning it in 2023.

Then there's club rugby, which for a casual viewer might not sound that enticing but the European Champions Cup is really good imo. You'll see many familiar faces from the World Cup as well. Apparently next season Munster will sign de Allende & Synman from South Africa.

Oldyella

Must have unsettled them. But then South Africa had 2 injuries inside 20 minutes when the hooker went off and de Jager. Plus Vermeulen and Etzebeth were also carrying shoulder knocks from midway through the first half. If anything, SA couldn't unleash their 'bomb squad' properly like Erasmus would have liked too.

Going back to Sinckler, I guess that is where the difference in depth was. SA had injuries to their pack so brought on Malcolm Marx & then Franco Mostart. World class players who would start for almost every other side. England brought on Dan Cole.
I do think the narrative had been set by then though despite the SA injuries. Ref was looking to penalise England in the scrum as they struggled. One of those 'what could have been' moments that could be argued either way.

Thisistheone

I do think the narrative had been set by then though despite the SA injuries. Ref was looking to penalise England in the scrum as they struggled. One of those 'what could have been' moments that could be argued either way.
Yeah I guess so. Sinckler had a brilliant tournament.

Just seen the Saracens news! :eek: