Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Yes... the state of the ministry of defence is just abysmal. They fecked up to plan enough budget for buying ammunition, then wrote a letter to the finance ministry, essentially begging for money, which that declined (had to decline, because there wasn't a legal base for that plea), but offered help restructuring the defense bureaucracy :lol:

Counterfactual

This is fantastic work by the NY Times, they have been able to link the killings of civilians in Bucha to the 234th guards parachute regiment from Pskov and they are able to show that the killings where sanctioned by their commanding officer.
That is simply stunning. What an incredible piece of forensic journalistic work.

Simbo

Obviously, from their own perspective, which is quite different from ours.

Not that we know more, it has to be said.
The difference here that they may be regarding is that it would be a US supplied weapon taking action in Russian territory and that could be seen differently. Russian propagandists would no doubt abuse the fact, but they should never be taken seriously.

The vast majority of wars are fought with foreign supplied weapons. I like to hope some Russians wonder sometimes, considering their only friends are N. Korea and Iran, whereas Ukraine has the whole free world on their side, that they might just be the bad guys.

the hea

Thread by a retired General and intelligence officer on the expansion of the Russian military that was announced by Putin and Shoigu.

RoyH1

Thread by a retired General and intelligence officer on the expansion of the Russian military that was announced by Putin and Shoigu.
The Russian population as a whole will become even poorer than the sanctions would have made them. The way that country has treated it's population as disposable pieces has always blown my mind.

The United

Ukraine already hits military targets in Russia as well as shelling some near-border towns like Bryansk etc. What would change? And what is "nasty" exactly, it's not like Russia holds itself back on anything, nuclear strikes excluded.
Who knows what kind of game they are playing at this point?

My uneducated guess is that Putin would "escalate" it faster with everything he has. Some from the west might think that they can't keep up with it, at least in the short term.

All of the ammunition shortages may indicate that the West does not yet have the industry capacity to fight this war, or that most people are unwilling to commit much with a recession looming. It is not exactly hard to imagine that some might want to somehow freeze the war, even if they don't say it out loud. And Putin will continue to throw bodies. Even if those new Russian recruits don't have good equipment, UKR still needs ammunition to shoot them.

Last edited:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Who knows what kind of game they are playing at this point?

My uneducated guess is that Putin would "escalate" it faster with everything he has. Some from the west might think that they can't keep up with it, at least in the short term.

All of the ammunition shortages may indicate that the West does not yet have the industry capacity to fight this war, or that most people are unwilling to commit much with a recession looming. It is not exactly hard to imagine that some might want to somehow freeze the war, even if they don't say it out loud. And Putin will continue to throw bodies. Even if those new Russian recruits don't have good equipment, UKR still needs ammunition to shoot them.
The issue is, Russia has already escalated it with more or less everything that it has — as I've said, nuclear threat excluding.

The United

The issue is, Russia has already escalated it with more or less everything that it has — as I've said, nuclear threat excluding.
I mean, how many of Russia's troops are in Ukraine right now?

If he adds more, let's say 500k more (Russia does have more population and Putin will start using the western weapons blowing up on the Russian soil to manipulate more people to join the armed forces, if not already), wouldn't that be more "escalation" in a sense? Using nuclear weapons is not the only solution left. He can, as I said, throw more bodies, and it will get more difficult for the UKR forces, not to mention for the Russians as well. Not that he would care about those. The evident of UKR's counter offensive being stalled after the Russian's mobilization showed that it works for now.

Some people in the west are expecting that the Russian troops will be stronger next year, then you have Belarus's possible invasion. Putin still has the resources and methods to keep it going and under the control for awhile yet. The west probably can't do it that long or response fast enough in the short term as well.

Last edited:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
If he adds more, let's say 500k more (Russia does have more population and Putin will start using the western weapons blowing up on the Russian soil to manipulate more people to join the armed forces, if not already), wouldn't that be more "escalation" in a sense?
The reason he’s not calling for another wave of mobilization now isn’t because he’s playing it safe — Russia literally doesn’t have the equipment, ammunition and sometimes even food or water (not in general, but in the army supply) to supply the already mobilized troops. They have to buy everything themselves and march forward with WWII helmets and rusty rifles.

He will call for another wave, most likely in the upcoming couple of months where he would be able to go through the September recruits, but he’s not sitting on, let’s use your number, 500k additional troops that he can throw in at any point.

The United

The reason he’s not calling for another wave of mobilization now isn’t because he’s playing it safe — Russia literally doesn’t have the equipment, ammunition and sometimes even food or water (not in general, but in the army supply) to supply the already mobilized troops. They have to buy everything themselves and march forward with WWII helmets and rusty rifles.

He will call for another wave, most likely in the upcoming couple of months where he would be able to go through the September recruits, but he’s not sitting on, let’s use your number, 500k additional troops that he can throw in at any point.
We probably have greater compassion for his men than he does. They don't currently have enough equipment to support the number of soldiers mobilized, but it didn't stop them from being deployed to the front line and delaying UAF counterattacks.

He is not sitting on that number of courses right now. And it brings up the argument that some are making about further escalation. At what point or how he would use the western aid with weapons to get more support in the general population, as in getting more troops, would be interesting, for lack of a better word. I think at some point, people need to get away from the thinking that he won't have more troops due to lack of military equipment. Any number of them would cause just more difficulties for Ukraine and its allies for obviously reasons.

the hea

Some people in the west are expecting that the Russian troops will be stronger next year, then you have Belarus's possible invasion. Putin still has the resources and methods to keep it going and under the control for awhile yet. The west probably can't do it that long or response fast enough in the short term as well.
Russia had spent the last 20 years modernizing and building up it's army to what it was on February 25th, most of that is now gone. It will probably take them up to a decade to rebuild up to the same strenght as before the invasion, if it's even possible to do it with the current sanctions.

The United

Russia had spent the last 20 years modernizing and building up it's army to what it was on February 25th, most of that is now gone. It will probably take them up to a decade to rebuild up to the same strenght as before the invasion, if it's even possible to do it with the current sanctions.
I mean relatively, I would guess.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Junior officials and senior directors knew that to win plaudits and promotions they should exaggerate good news and play down the bad, for fear of upsetting “papa,” a nickname for Mr. Putin, once used for Russian czars.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I've never directly watched it, but didn't RT keep their propaganda ever so thinly veiled so more people would buy it? Like the ones who happily shared war justifications from RT journalists on the caf? Who is this even aimed at? Asians and Africans?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Using phosphorus on civilians now:
Barbarians.
Terrible sight, but it still isn't phosphorus. That would be chemical warfare and so far even Russia didn't dare to escalate to this kind of forbidden weapons.

RedDevilQuebecois

I’m a little bit lost for words….where do you even start with that
Crass for starters. They really make Alex Jones saner in comparison. I don't need to remind anyone on how impossible that should be.:houllier::houllier::houllier:

But the irony in that "Christmas 2023" depicts the reality for many Russian families living outside of Moscow. Go figure how many people die freezing every winter because the jackasses working in the Russian Ministry of Energy do not give a flying F about improving heating and electricity supply for the entire population.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Crass for starters. They really make Alex Jones saner in comparison. I don't need to remind anyone on how impossible that should be.:houllier::houllier::houllier:

But the irony in that "Christmas 2023" depicts the reality for many Russian families living outside of Moscow. Go figure how many people die freezing every winter because the jackasses working in the Russian Ministry of Energy do not give a flying F about improving heating and electricity supply for the entire population.
My thoughts exactly were, “I bet this is actually more representative of Russia than Europe”. Was this really produced by state media? The mind boggles

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Remember when people argued that we should still allocate broadcasting bandwidth to accommodate this?

In other news, Russia attacks civilians it currently claims. Tells you everything you need to know. The thread contains casualties.

Stactix

Feel like this sort of drone could be quite effective for the odd role.

Very fast so chance of being shot down is slim, though much louder than a dji.
Not plug & play though, you'd need a good chunk of practice to fly effectively but you could build 10 of these for less than a k.

Range,Jamming, Battery life & weight limits would limit it though but a good pilot could fly it in forests/buildings etc.

If it explodes on impact like a switchblade... gulp.