Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
The hatred for Zelensky on twitter is unreal. But I guess that is to be expected since its the favourite nest of Russian bots and bloody idiots. I mean Ukraine has defied all odds, you'd think he deserves some bloody praise.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The hatred for Zelensky on twitter is unreal. But I guess that is to be expected since its the favourite nest of Russian bots and bloody idiots. I mean Ukraine has defied all odds, you'd think he deserves some bloody praise.
It has to be the latest Russian bot campaign because the general sentiment about Ukraine is pretty positive on most non Russian controlled social media.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Let's hope it's better built than the first Panther.
Still it is usually considered to be the best and most innovative German tank of WW2. Rheinmetall definitely sees the KF51 in that tradition. I hope by the time it may arrive this war is over, but if not, then at least this is the kind of technology that's far superior to anything Russia has available (or really anyone else). The 130mm L/51 cannon alone has 50% more power than the currently used 120mm L/55 of the most recent Leopard 2 versions, which already is more powerful than the older Leopard 2 or the Abrams( that's still using the L/44)

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Once this is over I expect Ukraine's Armed Forces to be updated with the all the very latest stuff, so they are a major world power. It will be important to deter any future occurrence and maintain security in the area, whether they join NATO or not.

Planning for this should have already begun, on top of aiding the current situation. So suggestions like this I think are more planning for that time period, as I suspect the abrams supply mostly is.
I don't know about that. So far, Ukraine hasn't received the very latest stuff from what I can tell with my very limited knowledge about warfare but pretty basic stuff by Western standards, respectively the high tech equipment arrived in rather small quantities. Which seems to be enough to ensure that they have a technological advantage in terms of fire power and intelligence despite being outnumbered. But I don't expect NATO and EU to provide them with gear that'll see them emerge into a major global power. I think there still are too many concerns about corruption and destability over Ukraine to provide them with weapons with which they could rival the stronger NATO members in terms of military leverage.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I don't know about that. So far, Ukraine hasn't received the very latest stuff from what I can tell with my very limited knowledge about warfare but pretty basic stuff by Western standards, respectively the high tech equipment arrived in rather small quantities. Which seems to be enough to ensure that they have advantages in terms of fire power albeit being outnumbered. But I don't expect NATO and EU to provide them with gear that'll see them emerge into a major global power. I think there still are too many concerns about corruption and destability over Ukraine to provide them with weapons with which they could rival the stronger NATO members in terms of military leverage.
But there are first contracts in place. For example Ukraine got the first IRIS-T SLM air defense system that was produced. They will also be the first army to receive the new RCH-155 howitzer. They might be the first who get the KF-51 Panther MBT.

And that's just German systems.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
But there are first contracts in place. For example Ukraine got the first IRIS-T SLM air defense system that was produced. They will also be the first army to receive the new RCH-155 howitzer. They might be the first who get the KF-51 Panther MBT.

And that's just German systems.
Not going to argue against this since you're obviously much better informed on this topic than I am. Do you believe this gear (and what's hopefully still to come), will elevate Ukraine's army on a level comparable to, say, France or the UK? With my limited knowledge, that's what I would classify as "major world powers"

nimic

something nice
Scout
Still it is usually considered to be the best and most innovative German tank of WW2. Rheinmetall definitely sees the KF51 in that tradition. I hope by the time it may arrive this war is over, but if not, then at least this is the kind of technology that's far superior to anything Russia has available (or really anyone else). The 130mm L/51 cannon alone has 50% more power than the currently used 120mm L/55 of the most recent Leopard 2 versions, which already is more powerful than the older Leopard 2 or the Abrams( that's still using the L/44)
I'm more of a Panzer IV guy myself. The Panther was innovative and all, but it was completely over-engineered and unsuited for what Germany needed, and it kept breaking down.

Might be getting a bit off topic here.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Not going to argue against this since you're obviously much better informed on this topic than I am. Do you believe this gear (and what's hopefully still to come), will elevate Ukraine's army on a level comparable to, say, France or the UK? With my limited knowledge, that's what I would classify as "major world powers"
At least in certain areas it does. Ukraine has ordered 100 PzH 2000 and 18 RCH-155 - these two orders alone give them a comparable number of armoured SPGs as the UK have. And that's just the contracts for new production, that doesn't take into account the dozens of different SPGs they already had before the war and which they are getting as support during the war.

frostbite

https://app.handelsblatt.com/untern...w-ueber-den-export-des-panthers/28970680.html

I doubt that will really happen, but news is news... Rheinmetall is in talks about selling the KF51 Panther MBT to Ukraine. So far only a prototype of that exists, but Rheinmetall claims that they could start deliveries in 15 to 18 months (so summer next year).

The Panther is an industry initiative to create a successor to the Leopard 2, it rivals the government funded MGCS program which is a German/French cooperation led by Nexter and KMW. Rheinmetall is a junior partner in that program and apparently unhappy with it's role and the overall progress.

We have seen something similar before - Rheinmetall was involved in the state-funded and quite slow and expensive development of the Puma IFV and then created the KF41 Lynx as an IFV for the international market. The KF51 Panther in a way can be seen as its big brother.

So on one hand I doubt that this is going to happen, on the other we have already seen that Germany isn't shy to promise bleeding edge systems as soon as the general type of weapon system has got green light (IRIS-T SLM, RCH-155 as the successor to the PzH-2000)

Panther? Again? Wouldn't it be a good idea to avoid the Nazi WW2 naming scheme? Why can't they find any other names?

Simbo

I don't know about that. So far, Ukraine hasn't received the very latest stuff from what I can tell with my very limited knowledge about warfare but pretty basic stuff by Western standards, respectively the high tech equipment arrived in rather small quantities. Which seems to be enough to ensure that they have a technological advantage in terms of fire power and intelligence despite being outnumbered. But I don't expect NATO and EU to provide them with gear that'll see them emerge into a major global power. I think there still are too many concerns about corruption and destability over Ukraine to provide them with weapons with which they could rival the stronger NATO members in terms of military leverage.
Your right about the concerns over corruption and stability. Conditions will of course need to be met to give western countries assurance that the latest tech won't fall into the wrong hands. Ukraine knows this, one US Senetor specifically commented on how impressed he was with their accounting of US aid after a trip to Kyiv: https://www.ibtimes.com/us-very-impressed-ukraines-accounting-military-aid-sen-king-3655136

It still no doubt plays some part in the decision not to supply the best gear right now, along with not wanting to piss off Russia too much and play into the war vs NATO narrative, rightly or wrongly. This costs innocent lives but it is what it is, difficult decisions.

I'm imagining a point in time after this current war, in whatever form that takes, hypothetical at this point in time of course, but looking toward world security for the long term. Ukraine will at some point be free to purchase arms from whoever is willing to sell, as any free country is. Two points on this:
1. It will be practically or literally written in their constitution to maintain maximum military deterrence against future Russian aggression, economy allowing, much like Israel or Finland post WW2.
2. NATO/the west will want them to do just that and therefore subsidise it. If Ukraine ever falls to Russia, it greatly increases the risk of a future conflict with NATO.

I'd also draw comparisons to Poland. Since Russia proved what a threat it now poses, Poland now has plans to build a military force that far surpasses the likes of the UK or France (Navy excluding of course) and they don't even border Russia. Ukraine will follow suit, they have to in my mind. NATO membership alone isn't enough, they need to ensure they can protect themselves on their own terms. We've all seen how fragile politics is and the threat someone like Trump poses.

RedDevilQuebecois

Panther? Again? Wouldn't it be a good idea to avoid the Nazi WW2 naming scheme? Why can't they find any other names?
How many cats do you think exist out there? Most of the German armored hardware since WW2 have had cat names and the list is already near exhaustion.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
How many cats do you think exist out there? Most of the German armored hardware since WW2 have had cat names and the list is already near exhaustion.
Nyancat would be a great name. Pussy too. Though sending pussies somewhere might be missinterpret

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Actually a lot of other animals have been used to name German armoured vehicles. Cats have been mostly used for MBTs, with the exception of the reconnaissance vehicle Luchs (Lynx) and the IFV Puma if I recall correctly. There is a lot of other stuff, like the Fennek (reconnaissance vehicle), Buffalo and Wisent (ARV), Badger (combat engineering), Fox (APC), Mammoth (Tank Transporter) etc.

There is a deeper history here. The PzKpfw V Panther was designed as a reaction to the Soviet T-34. The KF-51 is explicitly designed as a reaction to the current Russian T-14. Nonetheless that reasoning might be a bit tone deaf, I don't disagree here.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
"Ukraine could carry out strikes without U.S. help but because Kyiv doesn’t want to waste valuable ammunition and miss, it usually chooses not to strike without U.S. confirmation, the official said, adding that there are no complaints about the process."

RoyH1

How many Russian soldiers died for that small part of land? They haven't even encircled the town.
Of course many Ukrainians died too, way too many and I hope they wont let Russians encircle them.
The Russians committing some of the same gruesome mistakes of WW2 when both them and Nazi Germany would comit to a town/city for political/symbolic reasons and cast thousands of young men into the grinder to lose their lives

Real Name

So a big missile attack on Ukraine. Tomorrow the Russians will probably say Ukrainians and West are not prepared nor want to sit on a negotiating table.

Carolina Red

Staff
How many Russian soldiers died for that small part of land? They haven't even encircled the town.
Of course many Ukrainians died too, way too many and I hope they wont let Russians encircle them.
A lot. We probably will never know the real number. And keep in mind, the pink there is like a no-man’s land. It took Russia 4 weeks just to get across that highway / railroad

Sviken

Zelensky is not doing himself any favours with his constant sabre-rattling. That's just playing right into the Russian propaganda.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Zelensky is not doing himself any favours with his constant sabre-rattling. That's just playing right into the Russian propaganda.
Could be the case, but i still think the majority making him out to be a war criminal are Russian bots and idiots. Russia has destroyed Ukraine and are trying annex it. Some sabrerattling is in place, but perhaps i missed some things he said. I mean Putin has repeatedly threatened to nuke Ukraine and other countries as well. Ukraine is fighting a brutal war for their survival. Zelensky and his goverment has outperforned all expectations.

Last edited:

JuriM

What you mean? He is doing everything right. Putting on constant pressure to the allys and specially the ones who are super slow and "useless" most of the time.

Eurotrash

Disagree. Western diplomacy has proven to be completely ineffective. Zelensky understands that the best way to deal with Putin (and many other Russians) is to show strength.