Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

the hea

These things and there to be used tbh, and used at the front where they can be effective.
This is important, the tanks and other armored vehicles that have been donated are not supposed to be sitting at the rear as some prized possessions that should be protected at all costs. They should be used as much as possible whenever they are available.
The main purpose for any armored vehicle is to protect it's soldiers and the modern western once do a much better job at this compared to it's older Soviet counterparts. Using these vehicles instead of older soviet ones will save lives of Ukrainian soldiers and that should always be the main priority.

The United

This is important, the tanks and other armored vehicles that have been donated are not supposed to be sitting at the rear as some prized possessions that should be protected at all costs. They should be used as much as possible whenever they are available.
The main purpose for any armored vehicle is to protect it's soldiers and the modern western once do a much better job at this compared to it's older Soviet counterparts. Using these vehicles instead of older soviet ones will save lives of Ukrainian soldiers and that should always be the main priority.
That article questioned the wisdom of losing those tanks up front that early to mines when there was no breakthrough to take advantage of.

Losing them too early in improper conditions will actually make it less effective at saving lives in general when the battle heats up more later when you need them against the RA tanks. The UA is not even close to their supposed defense line yet.

the hea

That article questioned the wisdom of losing those tanks up front that early to mines when there was no breakthrough to take advantage of.

Losing them too early in improper conditions will actually make it less effective at saving lives in general when the battle heats up more later when you need them against the RA tanks. The UA is not even close to their supposed defense line yet.
No one knows how those tanks and the Bradleys where lost, nothing has been comunicated on the purpose of the mission or what went wrong. What we do know is that the soldiers using them where able to evacuate and will be able to return to the fight and that is the most important thing.

The United

No one knows how those tanks and the Bradleys where lost, nothing has been comunicated on the purpose of the mission or what went wrong. What we do know is that the soldiers using them where able to evacuate and will be able to return to the fight and that is the most important thing.
The article sort of pointed out that they lost them in a mine field or near it. It was suggested that they could have used other specialized demining vehicles instead. So, I assumed they were losing mostly to the mines/traps. In fact, if they want to save the lives of soldiers, those specialized pieces of equipment would be the ones to use.

We would be laughing our ass off if they were the Russians.

The UA does not communicate at all for whatever they do or lose for their own purposes. But we know they lost a lot in both manpower and equipment during the whole war. There is no point in waiting for their confirmation of anything except liberating the territories

the hea

The article sort of pointed out that they lost them in a mine field or near it. It was suggested that they could have used other specialized demining vehicles instead. So, I assumed they were losing mostly to the mines/traps. In fact, if they want to save the lives of soldiers, those specialized pieces of equipment would be the ones to use.

We would be laughing our ass off if they were the Russians.

The UA does not communicate at all for whatever they do or lose for their own purposes. But we know they lost a lot in both manpower and equipment during the whole war. There is no point in waiting for their confirmation of anything except liberating the territories
They used mine breachers to, at least 4 or 5 engineering vehicels where damaged in the same breach attempt.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
They used mine breachers to, at least 4 or 5 engineering vehicels where damaged in the same breach attempt.
You're probably wasting your time, he laps up any miserable news like an alcoholic in a wine cellar. That pockmarked ground shows how much work there'll be for any advancing army to do though, scary!

The United

I am sure the UA used those for demining. I think the article was suggesting that they should be making sure the ground or area was good enough for those tanks to be brought in. From that picture, that was not the case, and it questioned why those tanks were there to get hit.

the hea

I am sure the UA used those for demining. I think the article was suggesting that they should be making sure the ground or area was good enough for those tanks to be brought in. From that picture, that was not the case, and it questioned why those tanks were there to get hit.
Do you actually have any idea how a minefield breach is done? Are you seriously suggesting that they send in engineering troops without any fire support?

The United

You're probably wasting your time, he laps up any miserable news like an alcoholic in a wine cellar. That pockmarked ground shows how much work there'll be for any advancing army to do though, scary!
Well, people like you have been hyping up all the expectations, and some news would give us a bit of a better picture in the field. Ignoring the bad news would not let the UA win the war. War news is not always all about making you feel good. And we've posted enough of those selected feel-good stories without context or much discussion here already.

Last edited:

TwoSheds

Well, people like you have been hyping up all the expectations, and some news would give us a bit of a better picture in the field. Ignoring the bad news would not let the UA win the war. War news is not always all about making you feel good. And we've posted enough of those selected feel-good stories without context or much discussion here already.
Haven't done anything of the kind thanks but nice try. And actually I feel like the stream of real news isn't that steady any more which is a shame IMO.

The United

My point? That the Leopard 2A6s where there to provide fire support for the minebreachers plowing up a safe passage through the minefield. Exactly like they should be used in a breaching attempt.
So Leopard2A6s are specially for providing fire support for the minebreachers? Well, apologize if that is the case and not sure what Forbes was on about then.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Voices from Kremlin saying Putin is finally willing to negotiate, apparently, Putin would like to keep Crimea with Moscow ready to give up all other territories. Not sure if there’s much truth to it but this would show how much Kremlin really fears a military defeat optics internally as opposed to a negotiated “peace” plan.
No way, doesn't sound like Putin, he views Ukraine as part of Russia, and that is that, Russia will have to be kicked out for this conflict to end.

The United

Among other things yes that is exactly what a main battle tank like the Leopard 2A6 is designed for.
"The Leopard 2A6 is a sniper. It can shoot through hundreds of millimeters of steel from 4,400 yards away while moving at high speed in forward or reverse gears over uneven terrain. The early-2000s-vintage tank is in its element on open terrain.

By the same token, it’s wasted in a close slog through a minefield. The 33rd Mechanized Brigade threw away as many as three of its 14 Leopard 2A6s in an operation where the tanks were only marginally more useful than, say, a mine-resistant heavy truck or one of the 47th Assault Brigade’s M-2 IFVs."

"These troops (Russians) wait behind dense minefields and pre-sighted artillery kill zones. Russian drones, attack helicopters and fighter-bombers patrol overhead. It should come as no surprise that, when a pair of Ukrainian army brigades—the 33rd Mechanized Brigade and the 47th Assault Brigade—rolled south along the Tokmak axis starting early last week, they got hit hard.

The 33rd Brigade and 47th Brigade—respectively armed with German-made Leopard 2 tanks and American-made M-2 fighting vehicles—got stuck in a minefield outside Mala Tokmachka, at the northern end of the Tokmak axis, on Thursday morning. After a Leopard 2A6 tank, an IMR-2 mine-clearing vehicle and several M-2s struck mines, a rescue force riding in M-2s rushed in. "

I was reading that from that article and others and got the impression that they probably did not prepare well enough for that breach.

From a different perspective, they were lucky not to lose more equipment.

The United

Voices from Kremlin saying Putin is finally willing to negotiate, apparently, Putin would like to keep Crimea with Moscow ready to give up all other territories. Not sure if there’s much truth to it but this would show how much Kremlin really fears a military defeat optics internally as opposed to a negotiated “peace” plan.
I keep hearing about the military defeat of Russia while others are saying how their military capability for producing advanced weapons and equipment is almost back to the pre-war stage. It's probably bad news for the likes of @TwoSheds, but hey, it is news and facts according to some.

TwoSheds

I keep hearing about the military defeat of Russia while others are saying how their military capability for producing advanced weapons and equipment is almost back to the pre-war stage. It's probably bad news for the likes of @TwoSheds, but hey, it is news and facts according to some.
You've lost your tiny little mind my friend.

The United

Reading that politico article, there was another quote for when they should be using these tanks according to the Western view of course.

“It’s going to be a slow roll,” Rep. Mike Waltz (R-Fla.) said. “I can tell you as a former armor officer, breaking those types of trenches and defensive lines is incredibly costly and difficult. If they do it correctly, they’ll save the Western-provided tanks for the breakthrough.”

But that article or news about those losses are not exactly pushing the Russian narrative of Ukrainian woes (because it happened) or "addicting to the bad news" only. People can't really be that narrowminded with these things. Seeing solely feel-good news at the start of the war (after the first couple of months) probably made some sections of Western audiences believe that the RA would be beaten and retreating from the UA within a few months and that the early equipment supply from the West would be sufficient for that. These news or articles about the UA losses in this campaign could be served as a reminder to some of the Western audience/governments that the West will need to provide more and more for long term.

Last edited:

Simbo

Reading that politico article, there was another quote for when they should be using these tanks according to the Western view of course.

“It’s going to be a slow roll,” Rep. Mike Waltz (R-Fla.) said. “I can tell you as a former armor officer, breaking those types of trenches and defensive lines is incredibly costly and difficult. If they do it correctly, they’ll save the Western-provided tanks for the breakthrough.”

But that article or news about those losses are not exactly pushing the Russian narrative of Ukrainian woes (because it happened) or "addicting to the bad news" only. People can't really be that narrowminded with these things. Seeing solely feel-good news at the start of the war (after the first couple of months) probably made some sections of Western audiences believe that the RA would be beaten and retreating from the UA within a few months and that the early equipment supply from the West would be sufficient for that. These news or articles about the UA losses in this campaign could be served as a reminder to some of the Western audience/governments that the West will need to provide more and more for long term.
We've had like 4 days worth of articles, from everywhere, using nothing but Russian sources. Its getting/got silly.

There's still healthy scepticism over whether that image posted above, and the video its based on, is even legit. Even if it is, the blind assumptions being made that vehicles have been wasted, without knowing anything about the situation except from Russian sources. Its way past boring.

The Firestarter

We've had like 4 days worth of articles, from everywhere, using nothing but Russian sources. Its getting/got silly.

There's still healthy scepticism over whether that image posted above, and the video its based on, is even legit. Even if it is, the blind assumptions being made that vehicles have been wasted, without knowing anything about the situation except from Russian sources. Its way past boring.
Ukranian sources are very disciplined in maintaining silence and that creates bit of a news vacuum.

The United

I believe most of them can be and were vetted by pro-UA sources, correct? It is obvious when equipment, such as a tank, is damaged. There is no such thing as "context" when it comes to counting losses or damaged or abandoned. The article did quote "ORYX" website as their source where everyone was looking at for the RA losses.

Looking at information from one side about the other isn't necessarily a bad thing. After all, the RA claims to have lost an absurdly minimal number of men and equipment in this fight. But you can count on pro-UA sources to refute that to certain extend.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Its a bit too late for that after all the damage he's done in Ukraine. Also, if he attempts to negotiate his way out of humiliation by attempting to keep Crimea then it will be interpreted as weakness to the Ukrainians, which will only make them double down on reclaiming all their land, including Crimea.

frostbite

“I am angry even now,” the Arsenal player says. “I am angry every single day because I really want to know what they are doing – to achieve what? To win what?

“I hope this war is going to finish soon and in the end you’re just going to think: ‘Wow, how many people have been killed? How many people have lost one of their circle? How many people lost their houses, jobs or whatever – and for what?’ I just really want to know.”

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...enko-will-not-be-silenced-over-war-in-ukraine

stevoc

That's obviously propaganda though, with Russia propaganda is always prevalent. Most people learn to recognise it and filter it out or they get to the point where they seek it out.

tomaldinho1

That's obviously propaganda though, with Russia propaganda is always prevalent. Most people learn to recognise it and filter it out or they get to the point where they seek it out.
Yeah you can kind of tell given how few cruise missiles they are launching, if that ramps back up you can probably point to production increasing again.