Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
While I don’t trust Russians at all and would take it with a pinch of salt, it’s not unthinkable that they have started to form an exit strategy and will try to pull back a little now to maybe achieve more in contested areas rather than go after the whole country which at this point has become an impossible goal.
They've literally sent more missile attacks into Western Ukraine in the last 72 hours than they did in the first month of the war.

Chernihiv is the second Mariupol. It is utterly fecked. Everything is being destroyed.

Pintu

This is the first time I've ever heard Russian officials say something in this direction.

Pintu

I think there is something serious being discussed here. But clearly not enough so far.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Think he may be referring to the promise of land to 1000 Scottish crofters and their families (Red Hand of Ulster etc.) shipped to what is now Northern Ireland a couple of centuries back?
Highly relevant then.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Isn't that just part of the original video? Fake or not, I'm fairly certain that's not a second video but taken from the same one
That's what I thought (with music added in the background). I know the Ukrainian defense ministry is looking into it and haven't outright said it's fake (not as of last time I checked) so Twitter will not be your most reliable source for things like this. It'll become known with certainy eventually as the people are identifiable, fake or real.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
They won’t, might withdraw the forces at best but they’ll keep bombing it.
Exactly, the genuine military fighting between Russian and Ukrainian forces isn't doing most of the damage here. It is the state terrorism of systematically reducing cities to rubble and using missiles to destroy key infrastructure all over the country that is what is destroying Ukraine.

I've said for weeks that I fear that Russian will just "withdraw" their wider military campaign, bed in and occupy extra parts of Ukraine, then engage in a terror campaign of missile strikes and shelling under the pretence of war. They've shown throughout this that they are willing to use excessive force to destroy whatever targets they fancy with either the most minimal justification of it being a military target, or a completely fabricated reason.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Sounds like progress is being made in negotiations. I wonder what the off ramp for Putin is going to be?

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Won't surprise me if that's true. But even saying "there's a chance the Russians might have faked this" makes me laugh as I ususally presume anything that's not verifiable beyond Russian sources is dodgy as feck.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
So did Anonymous fake it or did Russia fake it in anticipation of it being released by Anonymous?

Like that episode of The Americans where the US created fake submarine propeller plans and let Elizabeth and Phillip steal them.
Don’t overestimate their cunningness.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Oh I'm not. I'm asking a serious question there, because I wouldn't put it past the Russian gov't to put out a fake document to throw folks off the trail of them making fake videos.
That's what I was talking about, don't overestimate the cunningness of Russian government :)

klsv

It's difficult. I have no issues people remembering their dead but it's a bit tricky this year in the Baltics. Thankfully in Estonia the organizers decided to cancel any marches themselves. Police expected a lot of people displaying Z's this year.

The nazi thing is even more difficult. I have relatives who fought in the Red Army, those who fought for nazis, those who fought for both after switching sides and those who went partisan rejecting both sides. There are plenty of people who celebrate vets who fought for Germany as they feel they fought against Stalin and for free Estonia. It can be a very problematic view but you need a bit of a nuanced understanding of the Baltic history. Eastern Europe is a lot more accepting of far-right than the western world, sadly. I would prefer to deal with it by ourselves, though, no need for Vlad's help.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
So did Anonymous fake it or did Russia fake it in anticipation of it being released by Anonymous?

Like that episode of The Americans where the US created fake submarine propeller plans and let Elizabeth and Phillip steal them.
Great show.

Rajma

Think as always with Russia they’re just buying some time to regroup and bring in further reinforcements:

They just realized their initial plan was a total feck up. I wouldn’t believe a word that comes out from their mouthpieces.
This should be a time to significantly speed up arming of the Ukraine.

Last edited:

Water Melon

Think as always with Russia they’re just buying some time to regroup and bring in further reinforcements:

They just realized their initial plan was a total feck up. I wouldn’t believe a word that comes out from their mouthpieces.
This should be a time to significantly speed up arming of the Ukraine.
Yep, looks like lilliputin is trying to win some time to regroup. Hopefully, the West are increasing their support to Ukraine.

Last edited by a moderator: