Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

Demyanenko_square_jaw

I'm so tired nowdays. I lost contact early with multiple Ukrainian friends and family members living there, and still haven't received any contact from some of those friends. Having to accept the high chance they are dead. My wife's close friend's extended family have lost two sons (one of whom was apparently autistic but not deemed low functioning enough to keep from service) in the Russian army: young lads that probably had not even a good idea about why they were even there.

Putin and his advisers/supporters in power have succeeded in nothing but destruction of two countries with their brute authoritarian ambitions. I had intended to return eventually, but now wonder if i ever will. So many that i know that have the means have left over the last month and the trajectory of the country in even the medium terms is bleak.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Agree. Actually, despite AFP reporting it and the mayor himself confirming it, the Bucha news still hasn't made it to the MSM in here. When I search for the keywords "mass grave Bucha" on Twitter the only verified TV that shows up mentioning it are Aljazeera and some other non-western media ().
It might be reporting restrictions from the Ukrainian government, as most journalists can’t currently go to some of these freshly liberated places before the war crime investigators do their job.

Pintu

Dublin are out of Nukes
I think he intentionally mentioned 4 of the EU non-NATO countries because technically it wouldn't be a NATO intervention and Russia won't have a reason to use Nukes.

But I think both Finland and Sweden are well on the way to applying for NATO membership in the coming months.

For the first time ever we have strong support for joining NATO in Sweden. 46 % want to apply. And if Finland join, then it goes up to 54 %. I don't think I've ever seen such positive support for NATO in Sweden.

In Finland (EU's largest border to Russia) they are 62 % to support it. And they used to be more skeptical than us...

Last edited:

dal

I really liked the Ukrainians before this war, so many articulate and envious characters from their, their women is incredibly strong also which is a credit to them, so horrible what’s going on.

A lot of people say what’s going on in Ukraine has been happening everywhere for a while and knowone pays the same attention (Africa,Asia) and they don’t really care, whilst I get the anger and it’s directed wider rather then at them, remaining empathetic and not desensitised would be admirable.

frostbite

But there are "police", the independent people who are seeing these war crimes. Putin is a war criminal, but so are the individual Russian soldiers who are committing individual war crimes. The evidence at the moment is that the Ukrainian leadership is not committing war crimes, but there seems to be evidence of individual Ukrainians committing war crimes and they need to be investigated, regardless of Russian criminality.
That's not "police". Police does not just watch while a crime is committed.

dal

I think he intentionally mentioned 4 of the EU non-NATO countries because technically it wouldn't be a NATO intervention and Russia won't have a reason to use Nukes.

But I think both Finland and Sweden are well on the way to applying for NATO membership in the coming months.

For the first time ever we have strong support for joining NATO in Sweden. 46 % of want to apply. And if Finland join, then it goes up to 54 %. I don't think I've ever seen such positive support for NATO in Sweden.

In Finland (EU's largest border to Russia) they are 62 % to support it. And they used to be more skeptical than us...
Wonder what Russia say to this, if they strongly appose hopefully NATO do not cower.

the hea

Wonder what Russia say to this, if they strongly appose hopefully NATO do not cower.
Well it's thanks to Russia and their actions that we want to join in the first place. Before the invasion the support for joining Nato here in Finland was around 25% and now it is over 60%.
Russia has openly stated that there will be political or military consequences if Finland or Sweden where to join Nato, but we all now how good they are at lying so who knows what will happen.
My own guess is that Finland and Sweden will apply for Nato membership within the next 2 months and it will be backed up by bilateral security guarantees from the US and some other of the bigger Nato members until we are full members.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
My own guess is that Finland and Sweden will apply for Nato membership within the next 2 months and it will be backed up by bilateral security guarantees from the US and some other of the bigger Nato members until we are full members.
You are both EU members and therefore guaranteed full military support of the whole EU in case you get attacked. Should be enough to be honest.

Pintu

You only need US. Most of the other “bigger players” () are already bound to help us according to EU’s 42:7.

The EU said it again recently.

Pintu

You are both EU members and therefore guaranteed full military support of the whole EU in case you get attacked. Should be enough to be honest.
Not the whole EU the Danish snakes* opted out of defence. (They are now going to vote on joining it in a referendum next June )

*they made it to the WC without us.

Here is the breakout of the alliances. Denmark and Malta are out. But Denmark are in NATO.

frostbite

I don’t get the scramble over sugar? There’s ladies there grabbing multiple bags. What are they making??
There was a severe shortage of sugar during the Soviet era, and old people still remember that, I guess. Plus, sugar and canned meat can last a long time.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
My views have typically been harsher than most throughout this conflict. At first I was very much on the “this is Putins war, the Russian people don’t want this” mindset, but the longer it goes on without any seeming resistance in Russia, the less sympathetic I get.

Absolute respect for those like @harms who have put themselves at great personal risk to make their voices heard, but unfortunately it seems like they are the minority. At this point my ire is not just at Putin, but at all those Russians who are just accepting the situation, or who just take in the lies and propaganda being spewed without question. The propaganda excuse only goes so far - most Russians seem wilfully ignorant at this point.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
My views have typically been harsher than most throughout this conflict. At first I was very much on the “this is Putins war, the Russian people don’t want this” mindset, but the longer it goes on without any seeming resistance in Russia, the less sympathetic I get.

Absolute respect for those like @harms who have put themselves at great personal risk to make their voices heard, but unfortunately it seems like they are the minority. At this point my ire is not just at Putin, but at all those Russians who are just accepting the situation, or who just take in the lies and propaganda being spewed without question. The propaganda excuse only goes so far - most Russians seem wilfully ignorant at this point.
Good term, willfully ignorant.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Do you guys really need the US?
(Both pictured stories really happened)
to be fair I do t think the SR-71 was stealthy, it just flew really high and really fast. Also, does going Mach 3.2 really affect missile lock?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
to be fair I do t think the SR-71 was stealthy, it just flew really high and really fast. Also, does going Mach 3.2 really affect missile lock?
It's geometry was stealthy, it's materials were not. So not on the level of a modern stealth plane like B-2 or F-22, but first steps in that direction. And yes, being able to outrun every possible fighter was the basic idea of the SR-71, so it was a bit of a shock for them that a much slower aircraft got in position to shot them down.

Didn't want to derail the thread so let's come back on topic by saying: That old story proves what we also see in Ukraine - smart usage of the existing systems might overcome a big technological deficit.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Not the whole EU the Danish snakes* opted out of defence. (They are now going to vote on joining it in a referendum next June )

*they made it to the WC without us.

Here is the breakout of the alliances. Denmark and Malta are out. But Denmark are in NATO.

Not that it matters but I think the UK is in the wrong part of that Venn diagram

Pintu

Do you guys really need the US?
(Both pictured stories really happened)
Haha.

Yes we used to have a great army. We still got a decent military industry. It was a priority throughout the cold war. But since then we've been disarming slowly. Actually, for 8 years (06-14) we had a center-right Prime Minister who once said the defense debate irritated him and called military and defense a "special interest".

Pintu

Last edited:

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Russia delenda est.
Yes, great solution to the needless suffering Putin has already unleashed...a further war of destruction and extermination against an entire nation.

it never takes long for conflicts to bring out the real maniacs and wannabe genocidal strongmen.