Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

RedDevilQuebecois

Indeed. A topic for another time, but he got very unfairly treated by some historians in the 1960s and it tarnished his reputation.
Well, I was an avid follower of the YouTube series on The Great War. Haig is not exactly the worst as per more contemporary descriptions, but he had his flaws like many in those years. Some accounts say he was on the verge of the sack if the 1918 offensives didn't succeed.

Those Russian generals in Ukraine right now remind me more of the likes of Cadorna and Von Hötzendorf when it comes to being disproportionately bitter, ruthless, underestimating the power of the enemy, and careless of casualties.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Well, I was an avid follower of the YouTube series on The Great War. Haig is not exactly the worst as per more contemporary descriptions, but he had his flaws like many in those years. Some accounts say he was on the verge of the sack if the 1918 offensives didn't succeed.

Those Russian generals in Ukraine right now remind me more of the likes of Cadorna and Von Hötzendorf when it comes to being disproportionately bitter, ruthless, underestimating the power of the enemy, and careless of casualties.
Most of them moved on to a different channel covering the 1920-40s as well as WWII, in case you missed it. Might be even better because WWII was so insane on a daily basis.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Looks like the Ukrainians are making progress in retaking Kherson

MTF

Most of them moved on to a different channel covering the 1920-40s as well as WWII, in case you missed it. Might be even better because WWII was so insane on a daily basis.
The WWII series is ongoing right now: https://www.youtube.com/c/WorldWarTwo

I'm enjoying it a lot. For a conflict that I thought I had a good overall grasp of, there's still so many smaller engagements and actions that don't make a broader history of the conflict, but at the time were important both for future strategy and for overall morale.

Last edited:

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
The WWII series is ongoing right now: https://www.youtube.com/c/WorldWarTwo

I'm enjoying it a lot. For a conflict that I though I had a good overall grasp of, there's still so many smaller engagements and actions that don't make a broader history of the conflict, but at the time were important both for future strategy and for overall morale.
Thanks for linking, which I was too lazy to do. Their side channel is Timeghost History and, to make this topical, they have some vids on Ukraine. The ‘Between Two Wars’ stuff they do there is fantastic.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
From the BBC:

"Russia votes to leave European Court of Human Rights

Russia's parliament has passed two bills ending the European Court of Human Rights’ jurisdiction in Russia, after it announced it would exit the court in March amid the conflict in Ukraine.
The ECHR aims to apply and protect the civil and political rights of the continent's citizens, and this previously provided a way to pursue legal and human rights cases against Russia that had either been rejected or ignored by Russian courts.

One of the bills removes Russia from the court's jurisdiction and the second bill sets 15 March as the cut-off point, meaning rulings against Russia made after that date are not to be implemented, the RIA Novosti news agency reports.

The Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe expelled Russia from the organisation on 15 March, which the ECHR is part of, in response to Russia‘s invasion of Ukraine.
Russia has said that it independently decided to leave the Council of Europe, with former President Dmitry Medvedev saying that Russia‘s exit from the organisation represented an opportunity to restore the death penalty, which the Council of European’s rules prohibit."

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Annual Report of the ECtHR:

https://www.echr.coe.int/Documents/Annual_report_2020_ENG.pdf

"The Russian Federation provides us with the greatest number of cases, with 13,800 applications, or 22.4% of the pending applications, followed by Turkey, with 18.1% or 11,150 applications, and Ukraine with 16.7%, or 10,250 applications. Next come Romania with 7,700 applications or 12.5% of the total number, and Italy with 3,400 applications or 5.5% of the total."

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
From the BBC:

"The Russian footballer speaking out against the war

Since the invasion in February, footballer Nadya Karpova has been posting anti-war messages on her Instagram account - where she has 143,000 followers.

She's one of just three professional players from Russia to voice their opposition - and is the only female star to have done so.

Karpova plays for Spanish club Espanyol - and says she feels a "special responsibility" to raise her voice.

"I can't just look at this inhumanity and stay silent," the 27-year-old tells the BBC.

Read her interview here."

Red Rash

From the BBC:

Russia's parliament has passed two bills ending the European Court of Human Rights’ jurisdiction in Russia, after it announced it would exit the court in March amid the conflict in Ukraine.
The ECHR aims to apply and protect the civil and political rights of the continent's citizens, and this previously provided a way to pursue legal and human rights cases against Russia that had either been rejected or ignored by Russian courts.

One of the bills removes Russia from the court's jurisdiction and the second bill sets 15 March as the cut-off point, meaning rulings against Russia made after that date are not to be implemented, the RIA Novosti news agency reports.

The Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe expelled Russia from the organisation on 15 March, which the ECHR is part of, in response to Russia‘s invasion of Ukraine.
Russia has said that it independently decided to leave the Council of Europe, with former President Dmitry Medvedev saying that Russia‘s exit from the organisation represented an opportunity to restore the death penalty, which the Council of European’s rules prohibit."
Saw this on the BBC and it's pretty scary. I'm not opposed to the death penalty in some extreme circumstances (serial killers, paedophiles, rapists etc) but knowing that Russia does not care at all about human rights and wants to restore the death penalty will not end well.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Saw this on the BBC and it's pretty scary. I'm not opposed to the death penalty in some extreme circumstances (serial killers, paedophiles, rapists etc) but knowing that Russia does not care at all about human rights and wants to restore the death penalty will not end well.
Death penalty for rapists? How many people are you looking to execute, because that's going to be quite a few people over a year.

The Firestarter

Let me guess, hand cuttings for stealing?

Red Rash

Death penalty for rapists? How many people are you looking to execute, because that's going to be quite a few people over a year.
Ok I should have added serial here too, I'm not saying every situation just in some cases I can understand why the death penalty could be used.

Anyway not go derail the thread but my point is I can imagine Russia using the death penalty for anyone who opposes Putin.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
It's yet more of Russia being isolated - and isolating itself also - from the rest of the world. They are headed in the direction of North Korea.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
From the BBC:

Like Ekaterina Schulmann aptly noted despite everything Russia conveniently decides to only leave those international institutions that have already kicked it out.

MTF

I was just thinking what would happen if Japan actually did that. What would the rest of the world say?
I don't think the US wants them to, is ultimately what has the most weight. Japan's defense vis-a-vis both Russia and China is intertwined with the US, so they can't really go starting conflicts of their own unless they want to potentially lose that guarantee.

RedDevilQuebecois

I was just thinking what would happen if Japan actually did that. What would the rest of the world say?
We would be reminded that the Soviets invaded those islands after Japan formally announced its surrender after the 2 atomic bombs.

Seriously, it was like a violation of a ceasefire. It is a reason no peace treaty has ever been formally between Japan and the USSR/now-Russia.

Last edited:

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
China, North Korea, Cuba, Venezuela and one or two others would object. Everyone else would either cheer on Japan for kicking Russia when it's down, or else not really care.