Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I'm not a very political person - but is there any sense of "American and British media" are making things up or making it worse than it is or something?

Abizzz

I'm not a very political person - but is there any sense of "American and British media" are making things up or making it worse than it is or something?
Putin gave a long speech yesterday where he pretty much confirmed everything. Directly from the horses mouth.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
The West should seize all cash, assets, and real estate owned or related to Russian oligarchs/officials, revoke visas and deport children and family members in the West attending schools, and generally make their lives miserable. Most of them use London, New York, Paris, Miami, and other cities to buy property as a means of money laundering.

I don't expect it to happen in the US, but I really can't see Boris and the UK doing anything of the sort.
You mean state backed robbery? Obey us or got robbed?

WPMUFC

Putin gave an unhinged, full-blown autocrat speech yesterday where he overtly said Ukraine is not a country but a Russian invention and that he has annexed more Ukraine territory under the guise of "sovereign independence". There is no legal basis for what he's doing. He has essentially funded and created a range of "separatist" groups, that have taken sovereign Ukrainian territory, and now he's placed Russian troops in Ukraine territory. He has also openly threatened nuclear war if NATO and US directly intervene.

As i mentioned above, it's textbook autocratic lust for territory on full display under the guise of "the good old days when we were powerful". Difference now is that an unhinged European autocrat has a nuclear arsenal.

Last edited:

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I've been thinking this all along, along with the UK and US governments using this situation to their own advantage,

However this latest move from Russia and Putin coupled with that speech does point towards an invasion happening asap.

TheLiverBird

We’ll see how empty Bidens words are I’m very sure of that

what did he say several days ago?

“We will defend every inch of Ukraine with the full force of the USA and it’s allies”

Lets get ready to rumble

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

This is so brutal to watch. Guy is the head of SVR (part of FSB) and he looks like a schoolboy there.
Damn, i would not want to have Putin as my boss :nervous:

nimic

something nice
Scout
We’ll see how empty Bidens words are I’m very sure of that

what did he say several days ago?

“We will defend every inch of Ukraine with the full force of the USA and it’s allies”
There's absolutely no way he said anything like that. He would had to have a senile moment, because that has never been close to US policy.

TheLiverBird

There's absolutely no way he said anything like that. He would had to have a senile moment, because that has never been close to US policy.
He actually did say that

he literally said it several days ago live as well

TheLiverBird

From googling he said NATO, not Ukraine.
Just looked at the transcript

correct he did in fact say NATO

So Ukraine need to get that NATO Application complete and then essentially they will be covered under the protection of all NATO Countries.

dove

Can't wait to see those "severe" sanctions they have been talking about for months. Will probably be some random people connected with Putin getting banned from entry to the US/EU which will do feck all. If they got serious sanctions right from the beginning, all of this could most likely be avoided but now we instead watch Ukraine being taken piece by piece until we realise Russia's army is right on the border with EU.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

So Ukraine need to get that NATO Application complete and then essentially they will be covered under the protection of all NATO Countries.
On paper yes. But words are empty. Nato members will not just accept them now and be involved in war.
People need to realise that country leaders have priority to do what is the best for their country, not what is "morale" or right thing to do. You think that despite feeling sorry for Ukraine, people from NATO members would want to go to open war with Russia? You think that country leaders want to involve their country in war?
They all are saying "poor Ukraine" right now but at the same time they are thinking "Thank God that it is not some Nato country in question".

Suv666

Can't wait to see those "severe" sanctions they have been talking about for months. Will probably be some random people connected with Putin getting banned from entry to the US/EU which will do feck all. If they got serious sanctions right from the beginning, all of this could most likely be avoided but now we instead watch Ukraine being taken piece by piece until we realise Russia's army is right on the border with EU.
If they impose all the serious sanctions now then there's nothing stopping Russia from marching to Kyiv.

We need an rvn

Bit of an ignorant question here, but if Putin classified a territory of another sovereign nation as more or less theirs to take and invade, just as he did with crimea, what sanctions can you put in place that will punish them to the point they back down and stop invading small regions.

Crimea is still in Russian hands, as it looks like now so too will be the two regions. What punishments did Russia get from the international community for crimea as it obviously hasn’t stopped him from continuing.

putting that even further, what sanctions could you put in place if a full blown invasion took place that wouldn’t eventually force him into a nuclear option

everyone, and I mean the governments, talk about sanctions but don’t give any form of detail

LARulz

If they impose all the serious sanctions now then there's nothing stopping Russia from marching to Kyiv.
Yeah, I feel this will be almost "let go" by most like Crimea to avoid making things worse

It would be a weird situation as Putin gets almost what he wants and can also show Ukraine how "weak" NATO's words are if they don't back them up

Abizzz

Russia is already on the border of the EU (5 EU countries to be exact). Does my head in when people say that's something to be avoided at huge costs. Similiarly does my head in whenever someone says NATO is expanding towards Russian borders, does the Bering straight not exist or something !?

Sparky Rhiwabon

Hasn’t Europe got to be careful not to upset Russia too much given that we’re largely reliant on them for our energy?

Abizzz

Hasn’t Europe got to be careful not to upset Russia too much given that we’re largely reliant on them for our energy?
They're equally reliant on European money and exports. People forget that it's easier for Europe to find other sources to buy from than it is for Russia to find buyers with European levels of money.

TheLiverBird

On paper yes. But words are empty. Nato members will not just accept them now and be involved in war.
People need to realise that country leaders have priority to do what is the best for their country, not what is "morale" or right thing to do. You think that despite feeling sorry for Ukraine, people from NATO members would want to go to open war with Russia? You think that country leaders want to involve their country in war?
They all are saying "poor Ukraine" right now but at the same time they are thinking "Thank God that it is not some Nato country in question".
Oh absolutely

No one wants too go too war with Russia

But what if Russia keep pushing and pushing and pushing??

what then?

Just leave them too it and crack on breaking international law after international law? Similar to Hitlers Germany in that sense until it’s too late.

They were sanctioned for the Crimea situation and hear we are again.

Your right in what you say though, no one wants too poke the bees nest because it would be a catastrophe we all don’t want. But I can’t see how just letting it happen solves the problem.

will other sanctions really crush the Russian economy….like will it actually??? If so then great get it done asap, but I’m pretty sure last time they were sanctioned western politicians were stagings the severity of those sanctions…clearly not that severe because several years later here we are

dove

And not doing anything will stop them? They are doing it because they know that they will get away just like they did with Crimea. Stolen a piece of land while shooting down a passenger plane in the process and got pretty much nothing for that. They are laughing at us while marching further into Ukraine.

Sparky Rhiwabon

But we are

So as we are, we just let them do as they please?
Up to a point we have no choice now, given that we’ve let them get so much leverage over us. Short of Europe invading Russia itself and taking over control of the gas supply by force (World War 3) and I can’t see that anyone has the appetite for that.

Mike Smalling

No, we shouldn’t have got into that situation in the first place. I’m not sure if people understand the impact of what would happen if they turned off our gas supply.
I blame the Germans for completely shitting the bed after Fukushima and shutting down their nuclear power plants.

Camilo

I blame the German's for completely shitting the bed after Fukushima and shutting down their nuclear power plants.
The most kneejerk reaction ever.. What a bunch, really. If we'd all been building nuclear power stations instead of (or even as well as) prattling on about renewable energy for the last 20 years we'd be more secure and far cleaner. But no, the Soviets existed and Japan is on a major fault line, so obviously we have to do a Sturgeon and believe in pulling energy out our arses.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
A clear division has become apparent between the UK and the EU over the presence of Russian troops in the Donbas region of Ukraine.

While the health secretary, Sajid Javid, has said the presence of troops is evidence that the invasion of Ukraine has already begun, the EU’s high representative for foreign affairs, Josep Borrell, was more cautious when talking in Paris this morning.

It was not, to his mind, he said, a “fully fledged invasion”. The comments reflect the nervousness in some EU capitals – including Paris and Berlin – at hitting Moscow too early with the full “unprecedented” package of sanctions prepared over recent weeks and being left without any further leverage over the Kremlin.

In contrast, EU member states in the Baltics argue that Putin will only taunt the bloc with incremental incursions that have the appearance of falling shy of the threshold for the “massive costs and severe consequences” threatened by the bloc over a military invasion. Those EU governments argue that it will be death to Ukraine by a thousand cuts if the bloc prevaricates.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

That’s all?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Will be interesting to see if Putin is satisfied with this or if he escalates towards Kyiv.

WPMUFC

Incredible thread!!! They have been creating false flag videos all the way back to the 4th Feb. :lol: :lol:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
A few of the Russian state officials have clarified that the recognised borders of DNR & LNR are going to be drawn by the current situation on the ground & not by the original borders of Donetsk' and Lugansk' regions.

I wouldn't read too much into it before someone like Lavrov or Putin himself says so though (and even then, probably — we've seen how trustworthy they are).

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

Incredible thread!!! They have been creating false flag videos all the way back to the 4th Feb. :lol: :lol:
Yeah, the intel was good. It has become clear that this has been planned for a long while and all the machinations are just theatre for Putin’s target audience.