Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Why, the top teams would just fly there with a private jet anyway, wouldn't they?
And how do the fans and more important the sponsors get there?

Russians aren’t getting banned from EU airspace. You’ll have Russia banning pretty much every line to Asia in retaliation which will be a total disaster.
Care to elaborate? I would rather like a measure like that. Also it might hurt (if the ban can be extended tp private planes) russian oligarchs as well.

Lecland07

Again, you seem to be glossing over the important detail: they have literally invaded another sovereign state. And you're suggesting we should be careful of issuing "harsher sanctions" in case they escalate things further. As if invading another country isn't enough of a provocation.

There's a lot to learn from the 1930s. Anschluss, the Sudetenland, the Vienna awards. How far do the Russian tanks have to roll into Europe before you consider more serious economic sanctions to be justified?
Not enough provocation to risk a world war or anarchy within the entirety of Europe.

Harsher restrictions will back Russia into a corner, which will possibly lead to them lashing out. In what way, I don't know, but it is not impossible that it could lead to a full-scale invasion of Ukraine, repercussions within the energy sector, economic war, or, worst of all, nuclear war. The thing is: nobody knows how far Putin/Russia will be willing to take this, particularly when being backed into a corner. It might be that he backs off and has no intention of anything more, but there will always be that risk.

Nazi Germany isn't really comparable to Russia: they were committing genocide in their own nation before moving onto others. They didn't just invade, they butchered anyone they thought as lesser. If Russia were doing the same, that would be enough to declare war and there would be no way around it - sanctions would not suffice in that instance at all. At the moment, though, there is no sign of Russia doing anything like that.

I am not saying invasion is fine, but is what they are doing at the moment really worth risking the lives of millions? The higher the pressure the higher the chance, so nations have to be careful when dealing with Russia.

Not enough provocation to risk a world war or anarchy within the entirety of Europe.

Harsher restrictions will back Russia into a corner, which will possibly lead to them lashing out. In what way, I don't know, but it is not impossible that it could lead to a full-scale invasion of Ukraine, repercussions within the energy sector, economic war, or, worst of all, nuclear war. The thing is: nobody knows how far Putin/Russia will be willing to take this, particularly when being backed into a corner. It might be that he backs off and has no intention of anything more, but there will always be that risk.

Nazi Germany isn't really comparable to Russia: they were committing genocide in their own nation before moving onto others. They didn't just invade, they butchered anyone they thought as lesser. If Russia were doing the same, that would be enough to declare war and there would be no way around it - sanctions would not suffice in that instance at all. At the moment, though, there is no sign of Russia doing anything like that.

I am not saying invasion is fine, but is what they are doing at the moment really worth risking the lives of millions? The higher the pressure the higher the chance, so nations have to be careful when dealing with Russia.
I agree with the idea behind what you're saying but where does it stop? Russia has invaded, they've just declared the bit they've invaded was theirs anyway. If we let them get away with that it tells Putin they're free to say another piece of Ukraine is theirs and expand troops Westwards. Once they've taken the whole country in this manner, do we trust they won't then move on to the rest of the former Soviet countries in Europe? It's very close to the point where the West needs to stand up to him and tellingly China has stepped away from Russia over this.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
With non-Russian airlines? Unless we are talking about something different here, e.g. that EU airlines aren't flying to Russia anymore, but the poster I quoted said "Russian airlines prohibited to fly into the EU", don't see why that would be an issue. There's plenty of them already banned flom flying here if I'm not mistaken.

Fearless

Mighty Mouse
I agree with the idea behind what you're saying but where does it stop? Russia has invaded, they've just declared the bit they've invaded was theirs anyway. If we let them get away with that it tells Putin they're free to say another piece of Ukraine is theirs and expand troops Westwards. Once they've taken the whole country in this manner, do we trust they won't then move on to the rest of the former Soviet countries in Europe? It's very close to the point where the West needs to stand up to him and tellingly China has stepped away from Russia over this.
The only thing that will stop Putin is a direct military threat from NATO and I can't see that happening, even if there's a whiff of the Cuban Missile Crisis slowly developing.

Enigma_87

You know who
Care to elaborate? I would rather like a measure like that. Also it might hurt (if the ban can be extended tp private planes) russian oligarchs as well.
I actually think this would be a decent measure. Sure Russia can cut the lines to Asia, but airlines can always go round and use Doha/ Jakarta / Singapoure /Delhi as hub

the hea

In a cold war there will be many interests that will be crossed paths with. It's not simple at all to draw the line in terms of strict economic sanctions as we live in a global world.

China also is a communist state and a great market of its own. People also don't really factor in how spoilt the western states and population is and how they will respond to hardships compared to Russia/China.

As for where hyperinflation comes:

just the energy supply is huge effect for the continent. I mean, people just don't realize how bad this can turn out to be.

In an economic war everyone loses, not just Russia, China or EU. I mean everyone will be affected.

For the record I don't approve at all what Putin is doing but after Crimea I seriously doubt EU will sanction severe economical measures against them..
Those statistics show nothing since they don't take into consideration how much of the nations total energy comes from gas. Finland for example only 1% of our energy is produced from gas so while those graphics say we are one of the most dependant on Russian gas the truth is the exact opposite.

Amarsdd

Trump administration put very harsh sanctions against Russia, to be fair. GOP are evil, but they are not in Russia's pockets. And I do not think Trump was for that matter, although he benefited from Putin (winning the election), same as how Putin hoped to benefit from him (the US having as president a very chaotic character).
Agreed. And Putin harbours very ill feeling to the Dems falsely smearing Trump with Russia. With the current US president unable to remember his own name and Boris bogged down by birthday cake, is it any wonder Putin has gone into full invasion mode.
US sanctions were made harsh under the Trump administration not because of Trump but despite of him.
https://www.statesman.com/story/new...k-did-trump-biden-sanction-russia/6735826001/

Enigma_87

You know who
Those statistics show nothing since they don't take into consideration how much of the nations total energy comes from gas. Finland for example only 1% of our energy is produced from gas so while those graphics say we are one of the most dependant on Russian gas the truth is the exact opposite.
61% of all the energy in EU is imported. 22% is natural gas, 36% is oil.

Yes, Northern states use mostly renewable energy, which is why I haven't mentioned them so far. The biggest losers will be EE countries and also Italy/France/Germany.

Russia exports to EU 41% of that 22% natural gas. 27% of the crude oil and almost a half of the solid fuel.

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/cache/infographs/energy/bloc-2a.html

ChaddyP

despite of him is an interpretation. His administration kept the sanctions that were placed by Obama's administration, and added many more.
honestly having watched every minute of his presidency it was amazing that they were able to get the sanctions through. The republican senate broke ranks with trump and voted for the sanctions, then it sat on trumps desk and he refused to sign them until political pressure gave way

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

Thankfully, there’s always a Cold War Steve.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

We’ll there is pretty much every single major European Airline that travel through Russia to Asia, commercial and cargo. Russia have already threatened to ban use of its airspace in retaliation. It would be a lot more damaging for EU combined to circumvent Russian airspace rather than Russia circumventing Europes.

https://www.reuters.com/business/ae...ver-russia-fallout-ukraine-crisis-2022-02-15/

spiriticon

I think the only way now for the West is to use military might to deter him, otherwise it's a matter of time with Ukraine. Either that or concede that Ukraine can never join NATO, in which case he'll install a puppet regime there and take it anyway like he has done with Belarus. He's too far down the path of insanity to go back of his own accord.

It's not good news for world peace that's for sure.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Has Zelenski ever mentioned anything about nukes?
Ukraine has no nuclear capability for armament. They gave it all up at the end of the Soviet Union. Occasionally Ukrainian leaders have mentioned pursuing a nuclear path if they cannot otherwise guarantee security through NATO etc, but really little prospect or desire to do that. It is another one of Putin’s fictions.

Revan

Assumptionman
Ukraine has no nuclear capability for armament. They gave it all up at the end of the Soviet Union. Occasionally Ukrainian leaders have mentioned pursuing a nuclear path if they cannot otherwise guarantee security through NATO etc, but really little prospect or desire to do that. It is another one of Putin’s fictions.
Looked the right decision back then, but giving up nukes proved to be a fatal mistake. With a few thousand nukes (more than the rest of world combined except the US and Russia), no one would have tried to invade them.