Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

Spark

I'm not saying this is 100% fake but if it's real there's some really weird stuff going on.

Non of the soldiers armed with anti tank weapons show any interest in making them ready to fire despite being approached by an enemy armored vehicle that is armed with a 30mm auto cannon. If that was me I'd have every anti tank weapon in the squad ready to fire and pointing at the vehicle.
All the soldiers are in cover but the camera man is standing out in the open.
It’s an arranged surrender I think, the Ukrainians are definitely not at ease. Also the Russians were probably told to wear masks to avoid identification back home (so in fairness, it’s not heat of the moment which gives it the fake vibe).

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Watched this three times & still don’t quite understand. How did the gun attract the drone, magnets?

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

The Firestarter

Apparently it's an EMP weapon so it jams the drone's communications and it will likely drop right out of the sky.
I dont think emp can be that miniaturised , it isually requires an explosion that destroys the device, you need to get quite violent in order to produce the field strength required for EMP

the hea

Watched this three times & still don’t quite understand. How did the gun attract the drone, magnets?

I don't think it attracts the drone. From my understanding anti drone devices like this uses an EMP pulse to interupt the drones comunication signal which in this case makes the drone perform a emergency landing.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I dont think emp can be that miniaturised , it isually requires an explosion that destroys the device, you need to get quite violent in order to produce the field strength required for EMP
You are right, this is nothing like an EMP. An EMP would be that powerful that it would actually destroy electronics.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
You are right, this is nothing like an EMP. An EMP would be that powerful that it would actually destroy electronics.
The link I posted suggests it is an emp type weapon.

The Firestarter

The link I posted suggests it is an emp type weapon.
I think its just a RF jammer. Maybe people have started to use the term EMP more broadly, but it's strictly means a very wide frequency range extrenely high intensity pulse (if its by artificial device, if its nuke its shorter band). The modest battery pack this has shouldn't be able to go even near these values.

tomaldinho1

I think its just a RF jammer. Maybe people have started to use the term EMP more broadly, but it's strictly means a very wide frequency range extrenely high intensity pulse (if its by artificial device, if its nuke its shorter band). The modest battery pack this has shouldn't be able to go even near these values.
Yeah defo not an emp - it’ll just disrupt the signal and then drone will either make an emergency landing (what we see in the vid) or return to it’s remote if that signal is still there. Kind of feel it’s better to just shoot them down but I guess you can take a look at it afterwards like this.

The Firestarter

Yeah defo not an emp - it’ll just disrupt the signal and then drone will either make an emergency landing (what we see in the vid) or return to it’s remote if that signal is still there. Kind of feel it’s better to just shoot them down but I guess you can take a look at it afterwards like this.
I think this works in such way only against off the shelf drones, anything military built is programmed to RTB when it loses signal I'd guess. So they probably need some sort of kinetic action or laser maybe...

tomaldinho1

I think this works in such way only against off the shelf drones, anything military built is programmed to RTB when it loses signal I'd guess. So they probably need some sort of kinetic action or laser maybe...
Yeah I guess Russia might have more 'cheap' drones but seems a bit of a pain to lug that massive gun around. I remember reading a while back about airports training eagles and hawks to attack them or using birdshot cartridges, the latter is more practical but the former would be cooler.

The Firestarter

Yeah I guess Russia might have more 'cheap' drones but seems a bit of a pain to lug that massive gun around. I remember reading a while back about airports training eagles and hawks to attack them or using birdshot cartridges, the latter is more practical but the former would be cooler.
Bald Eagles hunting Russian drones. Magats would be so conflicted.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The successes of the Ukraine army are so compelling it makes me wonder - what was the Russian doing differently in the beginning that allowed them to take so much territory in the first place compared to now?

Or is it all down to Ukraine levelling up?
One big factor is that Russian have been losing troops and equipment at a rate farchigher than they can reolace them. Ukraine have been gettinbg gradually stronger/better equiped. Training, equipmrnt and intellegence ftom the West will also continue.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Doomed is a little strong, but yeah they're in for a wild ride as their economy shifts. Russian gas is apparently a main input for pretty much all their chemical and industrial production lines, which will have to move, probably to the US because gas is cheapest here outside places you don't want to go.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I'm not following why exactly she's in Georgia. Is she fleeing as well ?
She & her husband are kinda in-between everything. He still has a theatre in Moscow (he disapproves of the war, I think, although his manifesto a few years back was a washed-down version of Putin's latest speech), she certainly spends a lot of time in Moscow as well... I think she probably interviews this guy for her YouTube channel, she's a journalist now, apparently.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Another reason to not believe anything this guy ever says.

Maybe it's his version of backing down? Now that anyone should believe him or trust him to keep his word.