Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

Looks like they'll need to hit the rail bridge again to take it out more permanently.

Even those massive drones? I suppose those aren't for remote detonation, I can't say I'm very familiar with explosive weights.
Ukraine have been hammering the Antonovkiy bridge in Kherson With Himars rockets and artillery for a long time and although the bridge is heavily damaged it's still standing.
I don't know what amount of explosives is needed to cause the damage we are seeing here but I doubt any commercial drones would be able to carry the payload required.

Here we goooo! On his birthday :lol: :lol: :lol:

Crimeanbridgecowndown website is overloaded :lol:

Ukraine have been hammering the Antonovkiy bridge in Kherson With Himars rockets and artillery for a long time and although the bridge is heavily damaged it's still standing.
I don't know what amount of explosives is needed to cause the damage we are seeing here but I doubt any commercial drones would be able to carry the payload required.

There have been rumours for a while that the Crimea bridge, like the Russian army, was shoddily built at the cheapest cost possible, and subject to large amounts of fraud and siphoning off of money. That said, I’d still agree that I would take a huge detonation to do that damage, and very likely needed to be in a specific weak point in the structure. All of which implies a planted explosive to me.

I thought they would try to destroy the rail bridge without destroying the car bridge, to stop war supplies from coming in while allowing people and soldiers to flee. Russia moves all its supplies by rail, so taking it out would be effective.

But it looks more like they went after the car bridge, and the rail bridge is more incidental. I can only assume they’re going to go after both.

Shouldn’t joke about something so serious, but the first thing that came to mind:

4gV1VZ.gif

In addition to Elon, I've seen a lot of other tech bros expressing concerns about the war and essentially advocating for appeasement because they, like Elon, thought about the issue for five minutes and now have some very valuable Thoughts™. Silicon Valley is basically Mos Eisley. Just full of the worst human beings (well, outside of actual war criminals, etc.), and it's only getting worse.

This is reassuring, I was starting to think Putin had managed to buy the 2nd richest man alive.

I thought they would try to destroy the rail bridge without destroying the car bridge, to stop war supplies from coming in while allowing people and soldiers to flee. Russia moves all its supplies by rail, so taking it out would be effective.

But it looks more like they went after the car bridge, and the rail bridge is more incidental. I can only assume they’re going to go after both.
I think at this point it’s more of a psychological attack to seed the panic among Russian troops and collaborators further in the Kherson/Crimea/Zaporyzhia.

I see photos of the sunrise while it burns, so I think this is it, has the arches too.

Its a big explosion(s?) but consistent with the detonations at sake airbase that were confirmed to be missiles. It was speculated those hit ammo dumps but I'd wager Ukraine has something long range that packs a punch.

Wow, impressive. I never thought they could get near that bridge. Hopefully those damaged fuel tankers act as a railblock that can't be moved.

Hope I'm wrong but I suspect the retaliation is going to be destruction of a lot of Ukraine's remaining strategic bridges which have been largely left alone in recent weeks... Leading to difficulties in the planned winter humanitarian relief

Hope I'm proved wrong on this one

Last edited:

It’s quite funny. Russia’s radical post-truth propaganda seemed to export itself quite well abroad but it seems that the internal damage it’s done has been decisive in their failure to deal with the reality in Ukraine.

Hope I'm wrong but I suspect the realisation is going to be destruction of a lot of Ukraine's remaining strategic bridges which have been largely left alone in recent weeks... Leading to difficulties in the planned winter humanitarian relief

Probably, but it just puzzles me why they haven't already.

Probably, but it just puzzles me why they haven't already.

It takes precision missiles doesn’t it? Or a helluva lot of non precision ones. I’m not sure how many Russia has left and how many they would spare for essentially a reprisal which wouldn’t change anuthing militarily. That’s my only guess as to why they haven’t but it’s just that: a guess because I can’t think of anything more likely right now.

It takes precision missiles doesn’t it? Or a helluva lot of non precision ones. I’m not sure how many Russia has left and how many they would spare for essentially a reprisal which wouldn’t change anuthing militarily. That’s my only guess as to why they haven’t but it’s just that: a guess because I can’t think of anything more likely right now.
That seems the most likely explanation, that they just don't have the ability. Seems strange so many years after watching videos of US stuff hitting small targets, I still can't get used to how far behind Russia seems to be.

Hope I'm wrong but I suspect the realisation is going to be destruction of a lot of Ukraine's remaining strategic bridges which have been largely left alone in recent weeks... Leading to difficulties in the planned winter humanitarian relief

Russia’s only reprisals to any military setbacks have been to bomb cities and civilians, which simply doesn’t do anything to weaken your enemy militarily. That’ll have been baked in (you’d assume), but at this point I honestly question Russia’s ability to conduct coherent offensive operations.

Aside from being pure evil, spaffing their wad on war crimes is simply dumb as feck. I mean they used their super duper hypersonic missiles to blow up five random buildings in Odessa. Can’t imagine they’re rolling off the production line.

Can’t the relief just come through the vast land that Ukraine now hold?

Hope I'm wrong but I suspect the retaliation is going to be destruction of a lot of Ukraine's remaining strategic bridges which have been largely left alone in recent weeks... Leading to difficulties in the planned winter humanitarian relief

Their previous retaliations consisted of mass targeting of civilians and civilian infrastructure.

Also hope I'm wrong but Russian forces seem pretty inept at focusing on strategic targets.

The road bridge is clearly out for good but the heavy weapons were mainly transported via rail bridge and it doesn’t look like it was damaged too badly from what I’ve seen.

The road bridge is clearly out for good but the heavy weapons were mainly transported via rail bridge and it doesn’t look like it was damaged too badly from what I’ve seen.
It might be still in place, but a burning train standing on top of it will definitely have weakened it. Some repairs will be necessary, otherwise it's going to be a disaster.

The impact on the public opinion might be worse than the actual damage to the military logistics.

I'm not so sure.

Either way, this won't be the only time they hit it.