Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

MadMike

I'm not certain if there was engagement between Russia and a NATO country that it would 100% escalate. Obviously it's as possibility though. The other question (touched on in that great interview posted before) is what is NATO's redline. So far it's resisted engagement...but what will opinion be if Putin for instance drops a tactical Nuke on Ukraine, or even just starts using non conventional weapons?
Where would that engagement happen and how? NATO will defend territory. If Poland (purely for example) sent army to Ukraine then its army there would be outside of NATO protection. If they did without NATO approval they might also open themselves for Russian retaliation without protection from NATO. Because you cannot directly enter a conflict and then request protection when that conflict comes to you. If Russia just started bombing bases in Poland or invaded though, it would be 100% defended.

I don't think Russia dropping tactical nukes on Ukraine will trigger a war either, but will probably see highest possible sanctions and complete isolation of Russia. Expelling diplomats, seizing all Russian assets, embargo on anything Russian, complete halt of all trade and financial transactions (including Oil & Gas) etc.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Thought this was encouraging, showing the west realizes Putin isn't going to come back to the former status quo. Nice to see someone this smart is working in Washington.

I think it was good, too. Keeping the emotions out of it, extensive answers and no theatrics, no sensationalism, just calm analysis.

frostbite

What happened with that long column outside Kiev? Are they still there? Where do the soldiers sleep at night? In the trucks?

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
What are we looking at here? Tank after tank being taken out?
No. Its misleading. Twitter comments say the audio footage is from somewhere else edited together with this clip.

The video footage shows a big armoured convoy which stops at the village, there is a skirmish, but in the last shot you actually see pretty much every vehicle move slightly when the convoy starts up again, which means the majority are functional and can at least move. The final shot shows possibly 2/3 taken out.

I think what it demonstrates is how they clump up when engaged. Which would be a nice juicy target if Ukraine could use artillery/missiles. I would imagine the worst thing a tank could do is clump up together as it means you'd struggle to shoot back when engaged but also you'd have very few options for movement and could easily get boxed in.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Russia wants Ukraine to surrender, no cease-fire:

Russia will not agree to humanitarian corridors from Mariupol (despite state media claiming otherwise for days and days):

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I don't get why civilians who have nothing to do with the war have their personal assets impacted.
It it done in the hope that the Russian people will put pressure on Putin and this will hopefully result in regime change. But also in respect to the billionaires getting sanctioned - they have been bankrolling Putin and his cronies for years and are all responsible for him being there in the first place.

fergieisold

Where would that engagement happen and how? NATO will defend territory. If Poland (purely for example) sent army to Ukraine then its army there would be outside of NATO protection. If they did without NATO approval they might also open themselves for Russian retaliation without protection from NATO. Because you cannot directly enter a conflict and then request protection when that conflict comes to you. If Russia just started bombing bases in Poland or invaded though, it would be 100% defended.

I don't think Russia dropping tactical nukes on Ukraine will trigger a war either, but will probably see highest possible sanctions and complete isolation of Russia. Expelling diplomats, seizing all Russian assets, embargo on anything Russian, complete halt of all trade and financial transactions (including Oil & Gas) etc.
I agree, I'm just speculating on the level of escalation if Putin were to touch a NATO country. Clearly it would be defended 100%, I'm just (maybe naively) optimistic that it wouldn't suddenly trigger a full scale MAD situation.

I genuinely think there's a fairly good chance of engagement between NATO and Russia at some point unless Putin fecks off.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I agree, I'm just speculating on the level of escalation if Putin were to touch a NATO country. Clearly it would be defended 100%, I'm just (maybe naively) optimistic that it wouldn't suddenly trigger a full scale MAD situation.

I genuinely think there's a fairly good chance of engagement between NATO and Russia at some point unless Putin fecks off.
I hope you are right but unfortunately I fear you are wrong.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I don't get why civilians who have nothing to do with the war have their personal assets impacted.
Abramovich's business are a bit more linked to propping up Putin, destabilising Ukraine, and supplying the war effort than that.

jeff_goldblum

Putin's stranglehold on power has a lot more to do with the quid-pro-quo relationship he has with the oligarchs than it does to do with popular support. The likes of Abramovich are part of the reason Putin is unassailable domestically. At the same time, the extent of the oligarchs' investment in European economies (think Chelsea, and the London property market) has, until now, meant the West has been unwilling to act more decisively in response to previous acts of Russian aggression for fear of the impact on their economies.

Sanctioning them in response to this (if the sanctions come hard and fast enough) is likely to weaken Putin's position, whether by simply disrupting the flow of oligarchic money/resources which he needs to keep his regime functioning, or by convincing the oligarchs that backing a warmonger isn't in their best interests. The former would make Putin's domestic position significantly less stable, the latter could end him.

Reactions: langster

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
What happened with that long column outside Kiev? Are they still there? Where do the soldiers sleep at night? In the trucks?
Hopefully they can not sleep.
And hopefully they are freezing cold and without food or water and are frightened.

What are we looking at here? Tank after tank being taken out?
Looks like tanks bunching up when under fire which is the worst thing to do. If its standard Ukrainian artillery as suggested it wont be all that effective against tanks but if they had anti tank missiles or tank specific shells they could wipe the whole lot out.

Still there apparently, slowly trudging forward and slowly getting picked off by Ukrainian attacks.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Looks like tanks bunching up when under fire which is the worst thing to do. If its standard Ukrainian artillery as suggested it wont be all that effective against tanks but if they had anti tank missiles or tank specific shells they could wipe the whole lot out.

Still there apparently, slowly trudging forward and slowly getting picked off by Ukrainian attacks.
Is it? I keep reading about empty fuel tanks and dying batteries with no way to refill or charge due to the lenght of the convoy

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Putin's stranglehold on power has a lot more to do with the quid-pro-quo relationship he has with the oligarchs than it does to do with popular support. The likes of Abramovich are part of the reason Putin is unassailable domestically. At the same time, the extent of the oligarchs' investment in European economies (think Chelsea, and the London property market) has, until now, meant the West has been unwilling to act more decisively in response to previous acts of Russian aggression for fear of the impact on their economies.

Sanctioning them in response to this (if the sanctions come hard and fast enough) is likely to weaken Putin's position, whether by simply disrupting the flow of oligarchic money/resources which he needs to keep his regime functioning, or by convincing the oligarchs that backing a warmonger isn't in their best interests. The former would make Putin's domestic position significantly less stable, the latter could end him.
I was listening to a discussion on the BBC radio this morning.
It was about the fact that Putin produced a PhD thesis some years ago based on the principle that Russia could do pretty much anything in terms of military action and the West, in particular Europe could not afford to react because of 2 critical weapons in the Russian armoury.
Nuclear weapons.
And Oil and Gas supplies.
And of course he was proven correct when he took over Crimea.
Crimea was a testing ground for further invasions west.

So the West failure to react over Crimea convinced him to invade Ukraine almost with impunity.

But at last the West is reacting in a way that Putin did not expect, especially regarding the decision to break the dependancy on Russian oil and gas.

Is it? I keep reading about empty fuel tanks and dying batteries with no way to refill or charge due to the lenght of the convoy
US intelligence said a few days ago it was slowly moving again but Ukrainians have apparently been targeting it since.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
What take? I clearly said I don't understand something. Good thing most people are more constructive than you.
Anyone thinking Roman is a normal civilian is just beyond belief at this point. You stated that without doubt and didn't even bother checking if he was one.

I mean do you really think he made those billions by being kind to strangers? I just cannot take that seriously.

onemanarmy

What take? I clearly said I don't understand something. Good thing most people are more constructive than you.
From the Chelsea thread:

Well Roman is now a majority shareholder in Evraz, the steel company who’s supplying it to the military for the tanks and vehicles, he transferred his shares directly to himself from an offshore company 8 days before the Ukraine invasion. For the government that’s absolutely black and white in terms of being directly involved with the Ukraine war.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Anyone thinking Roman is a normal civilian is just beyond belief at this point. You stated that without doubt and didn't even bother checking if he was one.

I mean do you really think he made those billions by being kind to strangers? I just cannot take that seriously.
It's still worth discussing Abramovich's current role in Russia. He became powerful during Yeltsin's rule, but it looks a lot like he has been pushed to the sideline under Putin.

Mihai

It's still worth discussing Abramovich's current role in Russia. He became powerful during Yeltsin's rule, but it looks a lot like he has been pushed to the sideline under Putin.
Check the post above yours.

Redlyn

It it done in the hope that the Russian people will put pressure on Putin and this will hopefully result in regime change. But also in respect to the billionaires getting sanctioned - they have been bankrolling Putin and his cronies for years and are all responsible for him being there in the first place.
Abramovich's business are a bit more linked to propping up Putin, destabilising Ukraine, and supplying the war effort than that.

Cheers. I have read up on it since and that's basically the crux of it. Its done to put more pressure and destabilise putin's regime. Some of whom actually bankrolled him. Freezing their assets is fair enough.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Invade Taiwan and foreign interference there will be, regardless of whether you find it "unacceptable". With 100 miles of sea to cross, half your ships will be sunk before they make it.