Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney | Wrexham AFC Watch

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Signing Mullen for the National League was like signing Haaland for the Championship, as close to cheating as you can get.

It’s basically City or PSG situation on a smaller scale but with likeable actors instead of corrupt oil states so there’s just a certain fairytale element to it I guess.

League 1 is surely a whole other kettle of fish though. Mullen and most of their best players had already done it in league 2 but not league 1.
It's absolutely nothing like those 2 clubs and unless they've broken rules, it's particularly nothing like City.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
It's absolutely nothing like those 2 clubs and unless they've broken rules, it's particularly nothing like City.
From a financial perspective it absolutely is. The money they’ve pumped into a club that was struggling hugely financially prior to their investment in contrast to every other club in the league is definitely comparable. The fact that the money comes from two very likeable actors makes it much less sinister though.

Chipper

Adulterer.
I wonder if it hurts Neville to see them come into their league and go up instantly while they've been scrapping in there for a while now.

Would be good to have them on the overlap.
Maybe he could have tried to get on the documentary bandwagon before Wrexham did, then reap the bigger sponsorships when Salford were riding the wave of publicity. That he didn't might hurt, and it's too late now as it's already been done.

It literally wouldn't have been as Hollywood though, the only way to do it would have to get Beckham really on board but even then I'm not sure it would have all had the same pulling power. Doubt it would have got the American interest the way Wrexham have.

Salford being being a naturally smaller club is another big difference. They'd never get those attendances even if the stadium was big enough. There's a bit less romance/mystique with Salford too if you were trying sell their story, the hard-working mining town whose club has fallen on difficult times versus the never-were-anythings, albeit from a very working class background as well.

Last edited:

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
What is earned success?

You can pick apart any clubs rise, they will at some part have benefitted from some advantage. The most extreme examples like Luton are few and far between, to get anywhere in football you need some fortune at some point.
Oh I'm just being glib, that's why I put the word in quotes.

I agree with you. The issue is deciding that some advantages are ok and some are not ok. Is external bankrolling good or bad?

Oldyella

Signing Mullen for the National League was like signing Haaland for the Championship, as close to cheating as you can get.

It’s basically City or PSG situation on a smaller scale but with likeable actors instead of corrupt oil states so there’s just a certain fairytale element to it I guess.

League 1 is surely a whole other kettle of fish though. Mullen and most of their best players had already done it in league 2 but not league 1.
Haaland should be playing in league 2 anyway.. :D

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Oh I'm just being glib, that's why I put the word in quotes.

I agree with you. The issue is deciding that some advantages are ok and some are not ok. Is external bankrolling good or bad?
It's fine if it's done within the confines of applicable rules and if the source of funds is not State backed or from illegal activities. Self evident but probably hard for partisans of whataboutery to reckon with.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Maybe he could have tried to get on the documentary bandwagon before Wrexham did, then reap the bigger sponsorships when Salford were riding the wave of publicity. That he didn't might hurt, and it's too late now as it's already been done.

It literally wouldn't have been as Hollywood though, the only way to do it would have to get Beckham really on board but even then I'm not sure it would have all had the same pulling power. Doubt it would have got the American interest the way Wrexham have.

Salford being being a naturally smaller club is another big difference. They'd never get those attendances even if the stadium was big enough. There's a bit less romance/mystique with Salford too if you were trying sell their story, the hard-working mining town whose club has fallen on difficult times versus the never-were-anythings, albeit from a very working class background as well.
Salford isn't a mining town, it was a textiles town just like Manchester. And it had a famous gas works.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Salford isn't a mining town, it was a textiles town just like Manchester. And it had a famous gas works.
Sorry if I wasn't being clear. I was saying Wrexham is a mining town whose team has fallen on hard times. Salford are the team that have never done anything, also from a working class area.

Wrexham have that bit of history that Salford don't. People like a story of rejuvination that we currently have with Wrexham that Salford just can't provide, plus because of the history Wrexham have that larger fan base.

Gavinb33

What is earned success?

You can pick apart any clubs rise, they will at some part have benefitted from some advantage. The most extreme examples like Luton are few and far between, to get anywhere in football you need some fortune at some point.
Yeah its almost like no one should ever rise through any other way than the right way according to some fans and damn Wrexham and others like Salford to years of drudgery and shit owners because otherwise it wouldn't be the "right way"