Sadio Mané

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
We were linked with the guy after all and he does play a position we are in short supply off. I don't see Southampton budging for anything less than £25m unless Koeman's got some £10m replacement in mind. And even saying that I still think it would take something closer to 30 to make it happen. He does seem to have the beating of your average EPL defender and is 23.

Sam

No thanks.

Good player, but we can do so much better.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He's very good at chasing people all over the pitch. Doesn't strike me as an LvG "fits the profile" type player.

Red_toad

He's very good at chasing people all over the pitch. Doesn't strike me as an LvG "fits the profile" type player.
If the club were after him, then pretty obviously Van Gaal does see him as his type of player?

Sam

Pretty much. I don't think he'd make the step up very well.
Me neither. A bit like Marhez at Leicester, they're given the freedom to express themselves, and everything runs through them.

They wouldn't get that at a big club, and I think they'd struggle. Great players for the level of team they're playing for, mind. Caused us all sorts of problems today.

izec

Me neither. A bit like Marhez at Leicester, they're given the freedom to express themselves, and everything runs through them.

They wouldn't get that at a big club, and I think they'd struggle. Great players for the level of team they're playing for, mind. Caused us all sorts of problems today.
Isnt that similar to all the guys saying KDB only shined for Wolfsburg, because the team was built around him? They are wingers, while KDB played at 10, but the same logic applies. If you are good, you are good.

Here is another one for you. Paired with better players around him, he will only be better.

Bwuk

Isnt that similar to all the guys saying KDB only shined for Wolfsburg, because the team was built around him? They are wingers, while KDB played at 10, but the same logic applies. If you are good, you are good.

Here is another one for you. Paired with better players around him, he will only be better.
Not really. KdB is in a different league to Mane.

Look at the likes of Young, Lallana, Downing etc who were never able to replicate their form of smaller sides at a larger club.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I dont see much better right wingers than him we could probably sign.

izec

Not really. KdB is in a different league to Mane.

Look at the likes of Young, Lallana, Downing etc who were never able to replicate their form of smaller sides at a larger club.
Doesnt matter if KDB is in a different league to Mane or not. I didnt compare their quality, just your logic of a player's quality. If Mane played for Dortmund on that right wing, he would tear the league apart and people would be bumping his thread all the time. He would suit them far better, but that is another discussion.

Nobody knows if he would be good enough for us or not, unless we give it a go. Lallana and Downing were shit before their moves too, Mane is on another level to both of them. I am sure there are examples of players making a bigger step and succeeding. Your logic says we should never buy a player from a lower ranked club, because they wont make the step up. Nonsense.

Bwuk

Doesnt matter if KDB is in a different league to Mane or not. I didnt compare their quality, just your logic of a player's quality. If Mane played for Dortmund on that right wing, he would tear the league apart and people would be bumping his thread all the time. He would suit them far better, but that is another discussion.

Nobody knows if he would be good enough for us or not, unless we give it a go. Lallana and Downing were shit before their moves too, Mane is on another level to both of them. I am sure there are examples of players making a bigger step and succeeding. Your logic says we should never buy a player from a lower ranked club, because they wont make the step up. Nonsense.
Lallana was great at Southampton. It's not how it works. It's sometimes harder to perform for a better side than a weaker side.

Some players suit being one of the better players in a smaller side. Look at our own Fellaini and Young. I'd strongly argue both of them have never replicated the sort of form that got them the move to United.

izec

Lallana was great at Southampton. It's not how it works. It's sometimes harder to perform for a better side than a weaker side.

Some players suit being one of the better players in a smaller side. Look at our own Fellaini and Young. I'd strongly argue both of them have never replicated the sort of form that got them the move to United.
Lallana was average to decent, not great. It is soemtimes harder, but not always. Fellaini doesnt suit us, we just bought him because of Moyes. Or better say Moyes bought him. Thats obvious that he didnt replicate the form, because we dont use him in a way Everton used him. I dont understand your logic. So we should never buy a player from a lower ranked PL side because of fear to struggle and not perform for us? Thats not how it works though.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout

Good post.

I'd agree with Fellaini, but not with Young. He was (imho) United's outfield player of the year last year. You could make a case for Herrera, but for me it was Young. Fair enough he may not score as many goals as he did for Villa, mainly because he's doing a different job and not only fighting one player to take free kicks and pens. He was outstanding at times last season, and I think extremely disciplined in whatever position he was asked to play.

Back on topic, when I saw the rumours about Mane and with it being the same day as the Pedro deal died, I was extremely disappointed and worried. When the match was on today, I made an effort to watch him more closely as I have a feeling that LvG could be back in for him again either in January or next Summer. His performance today completely changed my mind on him. I think he would be perfect for United. Quick doesn't really describe him, more like feckin rapid! His acceleration is immense, and he is extremely strong with it. However, his speed wasn't what really caught my eye, it was his crossing! He put some lovely crosses in, varied too, from balls whipped in with power, to clever softer crosses with a bit more direction on them. I thought he was excellent at times today, and would be perfect at United with Memphis on the opposite wing, Martial up front and Mata/Rooney as our 10.

He's young, strong, rapidoooooo quick and has a good eye for goal and scores a few, has a good range of crossing and passing and could interchange position too. I think he would be a great signing. That would just leave us a centre back short of a truly great team. It does beg the question where Ed would fit his galatico signing he so wants in to the team, though.

KanieKaned

Back on topic, when I saw the rumours about Mane and with it being the same day as the Pedro deal died, I was extremely disappointed and worried. When the match was on today, I made an effort to watch him more closely as I have a feeling that LvG could be back in for him again either in January or next Summer. His performance today completely changed my mind on him. I think he would be perfect for United. Quick doesn't really describe him, more like feckin rapid! His acceleration is immense, and he is extremely strong with it. However, his speed wasn't what really caught my eye, it was his crossing! He put some lovely crosses in, varied too, from balls whipped in with power, to clever softer crosses with a bit more direction on them. I thought he was excellent at times today, and would be perfect at United with Memphis on the opposite wing, Martial up front and Mata/Rooney as our 10.

He's young, strong, rapidoooooo quick and has a good eye for goal and scores a few, has a good range of crossing and passing and could interchange position too. I think he would be a great signing. That would just leave us a centre back short of a truly great team. It does beg the question where Ed would fit his galatico signing he so wants in to the team, though.
Completely are with you on that I was initially skeptical. I thought he give us a terrible time of it today. His crossing as you said was great and nicely varied. Depending on the price I think I'd be happy to take em.

Devil may care

He exploited our defensive issues well and he's fast but nothing special, and his crossing isn't really relevant to our team as we don't have a Pelle, we ha\ve a #9 that likes it into feet. We should be activating Griezmann's release clause, not buying this guy who will have to feck off to the ACOFN to boot.

bucky

think we will be in for him in the summer.
Hopefully not.

I dont see much better right wingers than him we could probably sign.
Griezmann just played very well on the right for Atletico in the CL. He can also play as the second striker van Gaal likes. The same could be said about Fekir, who can play both positions. Unfortunately he tore his ACL, but I'd still rather get him next summer than Mane. Reus, Bale and Lucas Moura might become available next summer, who are the quality we should be looking to sign. Mane is a decent player, but I think we should be aiming to get someone better.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
He's not what we need at this moment in time. Mane can take on players, has some trickery and whips in decent crosses, but it would be too much of a muchness between him and Memphis. What we really need is someone who can dictate the attacking play in the final third. Every great attacking unit has one of those players, who assumes the director role and makes things tick, and provides a degree of variation. String neat passes together, control the tempo, feed the other attackers, hold onto the ball when the opportunity isn't there, be calculating, things of that nature, instead of rapid monotonousness. Someone versatile who can be shifted around even as a #10 without a blip in performance level. Like Ozil was for Madrid, Silva in recent seasons is for City, Mkhitaryan for Dortmund this season, who are absolutely flying.

We really miss that type of player right now, Mata isn't the solution, he relies a lot of others and isn't a creative genius per se; neither is Wayne, and adding a somewhat one dimensional counter-attacking threat like Mane won't solve the issue either. Infact, his team-mate Dusan Tadic seems more accomplished for the role, as does someone like Nolito from Celta. Once we get that cookie cutter Jari Litmanen type brain for Van Gaal, the attacking play will improve automatically. Also, Martial isn't superb in the air, he might develop that ability in the future, but that negates one of Mane's biggest qualities from the get go. This should be a no go, especially considering the level we need to get back to in the Champions League.

langster

Scout
Reus, Bale
As much as I love Reus, and I seriously do think he is one of the best wingers in the world, he is far too injury prone. I would think it's just too big a risk with the money he would cost. As for Bale, meh, but even so, I can't see how Real would deal with United, and vice versa, after the De Gea saga.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
As much as I love Reus, and I seriously do think he is one of the best wingers in the world, he is far too injury prone. I would think it's just too big a risk with the money he would cost. As for Bale, meh, but even so, I can't see how Real would deal with United, and vice versa, after the De Gea saga.
Someone like Griezmann is there for the taking though, he would be perfect for United, and especially Van Gaal who has a fetish for multi functional players. You could plug him out wide, as the #10, or second striker, and he will deliver from each position. Really good control of the ball, can bring other players into play, knows when to release and when to maintain possession, aerial threat. Manchester City acquired De Bruyne for £55 million, and Griezmann is an even better player with a similar range of buyout clause. No negotiation hassles, no back and forth bickering and briefings, no punts on players who haven't proven themselves at the absolute highest level. Plus, his production level is quite spectacular, 45 goals in the past 2 seasons combined despite playing in three different positions.

langster

Scout
Someone like Griezmann is there for the taking though, he would be perfect for United, and especially Van Gaal who has a fetish for multi functional players. You could plug him out wide, as the #10, or second striker, and he will deliver from each position. Really good control of the ball, can bring other players into play, knows when to release and when to maintain possession, aerial threat. Manchester City acquired De Bruyne for £55 million, and Griezmann is an even better player with a similar range of buyout clause. No negotiation hassles, no back and forth bickering and briefings, no punts on players who haven't proven themselves at the absolute highest level. Plus, his production level is quite spectacular, 45 goals in the past 2 seasons combined despite playing in three different positions.
That's a fair point and I agree Griezmann is a great player and I would love to see him at United, but I was replying to the comment about Bale and Reus. Griezmann was available this Summer and nobody went for him, surely, if he was interested, LvG would have gone for him this Summer?

Devil may care

Griezmann just played very well on the right for Atletico in the CL. He can also play as the second striker van Gaal likes. The same could be said about Fekir, who can play both positions. Unfortunately he tore his ACL, but I'd still rather get him next summer than Mane. Reus, Bale and Lucas Moura might become available next summer, who are the quality we should be looking to sign. Mane is a decent player, but I think we should be aiming to get someone better.
I'm a big fan of Fekir but give his injury is an ACL I think we'd need to see how he is after another full season of playing, he's young enough and good enough to wait for. Griezmann is the best choice right now IMO, versatile, clever, quick and scores goals, plus he's deceptively good in the air.

He's not what we need at this moment in time. Mane can take on players, has some trickery and whips in decent crosses, but it would be too much of a muchness between him and Memphis. What we really need is someone who can dictate the attacking play in the final third. Every great attacking unit has one of those players, who assumes the director role and makes things tick, and provides a degree of variation. String neat passes together, control the tempo, feed the other attackers, hold onto the ball when the opportunity isn't there, be calculating, things of that nature, instead of rapid monotonousness. Someone versatile who can be shifted around even as a #10 without a blip in performance level. Like Ozil was for Madrid, Silva in recent seasons is for City, Mkhitaryan for Dortmund this season, who are absolutely flying.

We really miss that type of player right now, Mata isn't the solution, he relies a lot of others and isn't a creative genius per se; neither is Wayne, and adding a somewhat one dimensional counter-attacking threat like Mane won't solve the issue either. Infact, his team-mate Dusan Tadic seems more accomplished for the role, as does someone like Nolito from Celta. Once we get that cookie cutter Jari Litmanen type brain for Van Gaal, the attacking play will improve automatically. Also, Martial isn't superb in the air, he might develop that ability in the future, but that negates one of Mane's biggest qualities from the get go. This should be a no go, especially considering the level we need to get back to in the Champions League.
Great post as usual mate, Interesting to see you mention Mkhitaryan, he seemed a bit of headless chicken last season to me, but this season he's started to look like the player he was at Shaktar, could be an interesting option for us.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Between Montero and him, there aren't many top flight right wingers left. Both have pace in plenty and Mane is absolutely tireless in his work ethic. Won't be a bad buy if we look to inject more pace and athleticism to that right wing.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
That's a fair point and I agree Griezmann is a great player and I would love to see him at United, but I was replying to the comment about Bale and Reus. Griezmann was available this Summer and nobody went for him, surely, if he was interested, LvG would have gone for him this Summer?
Alright, cool. As for the last sentence, yep, at the end of the day, I guess it depends on what Van Gaal wants from the transfers, but the funny thing is he fits the manager's profile really well with cunning movement, and overall intelligence on the pitch. Maybe we want to wait and watch how he progress, before committing that much money, who knows..

IIRC clubs were interested in Griezmann this summer, but given his £50 million+ buyout clause, only the elite could afford him. Madrid and Barcelona kind of already have their attack sorted, City had zeroed in on De Bruyne, Bayern have Muller and rarely pay such extravagant fees for players anyway. Chelsea were in for him, but their reluctance to activate the buyout clause, or even spend moderate amounts of money this summer was bizarre, PSG wanted Di Maria all along.

I think we should be be in for him in the summer, he could be one final piece to the attacking jigsaw that already has Martial and Memphis kind of entrenched as the long term options. Throw in Januzaj and Wilson, and that's an exciting set of players. :)

Great post as usual mate, Interesting to see you mention Mkhitaryan, he seemed a bit of headless chicken last season to me, but this season he's started to look like the player he was at Shaktar, could be an interesting option for us.
As great as Mkhi is, I don't want that wanker Raiola anywhere near that club to be honest, and I doubt Woodward or Van Gaal do either.
In his pondering, Raiola has been speaking about Louis van Gaal too. When explaining that some leagues and some managers don't suit certain players, Raiola said "One day I quarreled with Van Gaal, who said: "With me Inzaghi would not play." On Pippo you can say anything but he scored hundreds of goals.

"And Ajax would have told him: "Play ping pong." I do not think Ajax and Barca are ideal models, they simply have only certain types of players. In Italy individuality is always more appreciated. Balotelli with Mancini got along, he used him for what he could do.

"With Van Gaal, he says "I do not give you anything, you're part of a mechanism" sohe would have problems."

And the intriguing but inexplicable "The Dutch spend their lives thinking about how to leave the Netherlands. The Italian is concerned that his mother does not die."

goin4glory

Griezmann is obviously a much more accomplished player than Mane but Mane would still be a great option to have. I think both Rooney and Mata will need replaced if we're to compete for the league and Champions League and we'll be looking at a revenue north of 500m next season. Picking him up for £25m seems like a good decision when he can play RW and 10 to a very high level and he's still only 23. Just look at the squad depth of the top sides around Europe and our bench today, he'd be a great addition.

langster

Scout
Alright, cool. As for the last sentence, yep, at the end of the day, I guess it depends on what Van Gaal wants from the transfers, but the funny thing is he fits the manager's profile really well with cunning movement, and overall intelligence on the pitch. Maybe we want to wait and watch how he progress, before committing that much money, who knows..

IIRC clubs were interested in Griezmann this summer, but given his £50 million+ buyout clause, only the elite could afford him. Madrid and Barcelona kind of already have their attack sorted, City had zeroed in on De Bruyne, Bayern have Muller and rarely pay such extravagant fees for players anyway. Chelsea were in for him, but their reluctance to activate the buyout clause, or even spend moderate amounts of money this summer was bizarre, PSG wanted Di Maria all along.

I think we should be be in for him in the summer, he could be one final piece to the attacking jigsaw that already has Martial and Memphis kind of entrenched as the long term options. Throw in Januzaj and Wilson, and that's an exciting set of players. :)
Yeah, I think that all makes sense. What about Januzaj only being on loan at Dortmund to be used as a possible makeweight in a Reus deal? :lol:

Seriously though, that's a nice set of attacking players, as long as Wilson gets a fair chance and continues to develop/is allowed to develop, because his career has stalled at the moment. Januzaj also has to gain more consistency, hopefully his loan spell will help with that. It's also not completely inconceivable that LvG might want both Griezmann and Mane.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Griezmann is obviously a much more accomplished player than Mane but Mane would still be a great option to have. I think both Rooney and Mata will need replaced if we're to compete for the league and Champions League and we'll be looking at a revenue north of 500m next season. Picking him up for £25m seems like a good decision when he can play RW and 10 to a very high level and he's still only 23. Just look at the squad depth of the top sides around Europe and our bench today, he'd be a great addition.
See, I don't agree with the reasoning that we should be throwing £25 million on middling options, just as I didn't think Benteke was worth the fee in opposition to the reports linking us with him. That just leads to a perpetual accumulation of 'dross' (sorry) in the long term, like at Liverpool, who got suckered into buying players for inflated fees. If you want good squad members, who not do what Juventus have done since Calciopoli.. Kingsley Coman is arguably more talented than Mane, and Juventus got him free from PSG just last season before moving him along to Bayern. If Nabil Fekir returns to full fitness, we could buy him for £25 million instead, as his fee will be somewhat knocked down. Now that's a player who would well in the long term, instead of Mane, who will have to be upgraded if we plan of contending for the biggest European honors. We need to be more measured with our investments. Hate to knock on the club, but throwing money around and paying x2 of what a player is worth (a player like Mane would cost £10 million the Bundesliga), is why we have so little out of our investments in recent seasons.

Yeah, I think that all makes sense. What about Januzaj only being on loan at Dortmund to be used as a possible makeweight in a Reus deal? :lol:
IIRC he had his heart set of the Spanish duo. When an offer wasn't forthcoming from either club, he decided it would be best to extend at his hometown club. Might be wrong, but I don't think Reus is a realistic option. Read somewhere that he perceives the Premier League to be too 'violent' compared with the La Liga, especially considering some of his injury troubles. Dunno how accurate the reports were though, do.ob and Sphaero might have a better idea.

langster

Scout
IIRC he had his heart set of the Spanish duo. When an offer wasn't forthcoming from either club, he decided it would be best to extend at his hometown club. Might be wrong, but I don't think Reus is a realistic option. Read somewhere that he perceives the Premier League to be too 'violent' compared with the La Liga, especially considering some of his injury troubles. Dunno how accurate the reports were though, do.ob and Sphaero might have a better idea.
Maybe. As I said though, I think he's too injury prone to take a risk on. Shame, as he is absolutely amazing, when fit.

bucky

See, I don't agree with the reasoning that we should be throwing £25 million on middling options, just as I didn't think Benteke was worth the fee in opposition to the reports linking us with him. That just leads to a perpetual accumulation of 'dross' (sorry) in the long term, like at Liverpool, who got suckered into buying players for inflated fees. If you want good squad members, who not do what Juventus have done since Calciopoli.. Kingsley Coman is arguably more talented than Mane, and Juventus got him free from PSG just last season before moving him along to Bayern. If Nabil Fekir returns to full fitness, we could buy him for £25 million instead, as his fee will be somewhat knocked down. Now that's a player who would well in the long term, instead of Mane, who will have to be upgraded if we plan of contending for the biggest European honors. We need to be more measured with our investments. Hate to knock on the club, but throwing money around and paying x2 of what a player is worth (a player like Mane would cost £10 million the Bundesliga), is why we have so little out of our investments in recent seasons.
Completely agree with that.

tom porter

he'd be a great squad player for us. I personally think he would be a great option off the bench against tired opposition and would give us a great 2nd option on the right other than Mata.

Devil may care

As great as Mkhi is, I don't want that wanker Raiola anywhere near that club to be honest, and I doubt Woodward or Van Gaal do either.
I forgot he was his agent, was Raiola Inzaghi's agent as well or was that just a debate that he and LvG had? In truth I do kind of agree with him regarding the Ajax and Barca mentality, I approve of their focus on technique and movement but I think it can be overbearing at times, stifling individual flair players unless they can find a way to marry their flair to the required stringent positional discipline. For instance Ibra at Barca and even Sanchez who struggled to show his best game there IMO despite a decent scoring record.

Bottom line though Mkhitaryan is probably too much of a maverick for LvG, Griezmann remains the most logical option for us without question.

caid

Swansea's right winger whose name i cant remember impressed me more and seemed quite similar tbh.
Mane played well today but i'd agree that we need more of a playmaker lika silva than either of them

suheilsworld

Big season for him. Something what Schneiderlin did last season. Many clubs were after him but he stayed and improved his performance, thereby improving his market value before getting a move. He might go the same way. Not saying he might come to us but certainly looks like a top club quality player.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
I forgot he was his agent, was Raiola Inzaghi's agent as well or was that just a debate that he and LvG had? In truth I do kind of agree with him regarding the Ajax and Barca mentality, I approve of their focus on technique and movement but I think it can be overbearing at times, stifling individual flair players unless they can find a way to marry their flair to the required stringent positional discipline. For instance Ibra at Barca and even Sanchez who struggled to show his best game there IMO despite a decent scoring record.

Bottom line though Mkhitaryan is probably too much of a maverick for LvG, Griezmann remains the most logical option for us without question.
I think he just brought up Inzaghi just to demonstrate that even some world class players won't play much under Van Gaal, can't remember Raoila ever being his agent. Agree with you on the mentality part, agents should be pandering to United, especially now that we'll have revenues in excess of Madrid. None of this angling for moves, unsettling players nonsense that Raoila pulled with Pogba. Understand that the situation wasn't ideal, and perhaps Fergie should've been more proactive, but still, the departure left a bad taste in the mouth. And yeah, Mkhi operates well when he's given some artistic license, now Van Gaal isn't as robotic as professed by some, but he like to reduce risks a bit too much, which might limit a Mkhitaryan somewhat.

goin4glory

£25m wouldn't be a middling option, it would be for a player who can genuinely compete for a place in the starting 11 and perform to a very high level when called apon. He's far from dross. Look at the depth Bayern have for 3 places behind Lewandowski- Ribery/Robben/Costa/Muller/Gotze. £25m in today's market with the new TV money isn't much, Chelsea couldn't get Stones for almost £40m.

As for Nekir he's coming off an ACL injury and if he was fully fit and continues to perform the way he had been you wouldn't be getting him for £25m, absolutely no chance.

If there's players of Mane's ability available in the Bundesliga for just £10m you should be working as a scout and printing money for premier league teams but it's never that simple in reality.

bucky

£25m wouldn't be a middling option, it would be for a player who can genuinely compete for a place in the starting 11 and perform to a very high level when called apon. He's far from dross. Look at the depth Bayern have for 3 places behind Lewandowski- Ribery/Robben/Costa/Muller/Gotze. £25m in today's market with the new TV money isn't much, Chelsea couldn't get Stones for almost £40m.

As for Nekir he's coming off an ACL injury and if he was fully fit and continues to perform the way he had been you wouldn't be getting him for £25m, absolutely no chance.

If there's players of Mane's ability available in the Bundesliga for just £10m you should be working as a scout and printing money for premier league teams but it's never that simple in reality.
The point is that Mane isn't near that sort of quality. Griezmann and Fekir are.

OzKangarooney

Swansea's right winger whose name i cant remember impressed me more and seemed quite similar tbh.
Mane played well today but i'd agree that we need more of a playmaker lika silva than either of them
Andre Ayew? He has been one of the buys of the season so far, thing is it is his first year in the premier league so bringing him over from france would of likely been seen as a bigger risk than Mane whom we know can perform in well in the league.

Devil may care

I think he just brought up Inzaghi just to demonstrate that even some world class players won't play much under Van Gaal, can't remember Raoila ever being his agent. Agree with you on the mentality part, agents should be pandering to United, especially now that we'll have revenues in excess of Madrid. None of this angling for moves, unsettling players nonsense that Raoila pulled with Pogba. Understand that the situation wasn't ideal, and perhaps Fergie should've been more proactive, but still, the departure left a bad taste in the mouth. And yeah, Mkhi operates well when he's given some artistic license, now Van Gaal isn't as robotic as professed by some, but he like to reduce risks a bit too much, which might limit a Mkhitaryan somewhat.
In truth I am trying to put the whole Pogba thing to the past now, it was a huge mess no doubt but I am looking forward with United. I don't like the power Raoila and Mendes have but I'd rather we tried to bend them to our will as opposed to ignoring every player they represent. I think the LvG robot thing has been overstated, yes he is methodical but in the last two games we've had CB's making runs into the opposition box with the ball at their feet in open play, and both Memphis and Martial seem to have license to dribble and try flicks and tricks within the attack, I think the crapness of Rooney and the safety first slowness of Mata have muddied the waters. With Mkhitaryan though I think he seems a bit weak mentally so I agree it wouldn't work, where as Griezmann showed with his adaption to Simeone's more hard work based aggressive pressing style that he can deliver within the requirements of a demanding manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.