SAF Admits To Tinkering With Strikers

Drifter

American
FERGIE: I'VE TINKERED TOO MUCH

Sir Alex Ferguson opted against taking a trip down memory lane after landing back home in Glasgow on Tuesday afternoon.

He sidestepped the new police station and the Govan shipyards where he earned a living as a young man, before football consumed his life.

Even as he walked through the front doors of Ibrox, the home of Rangers, the team he supported as a boy and played for as a man, there was a briskness.

Ferguson has no time for sentiment for Rangers or their manager, his old friend Walter Smith, and, it seems, no more messing about with his team as Dimitar Berbatov tries to rediscover his impressive early-season form.

"We have been changing the strikers quite a lot recently and I have to accept responsibility for changing it too much," Ferguson said.

"Now we are going to have a more consistent look about our team.

"We have a lot of good young options but hopefully we can get Wayne Rooney back to his best and Dimitar is suited to playing with Wayne."

If the return of Rooney to the starting line-up dominates debate over Ferguson's team selection, Berbatov's slump in form is not that far behind.

During a stellar first month of the campaign, United's £30.75million record buy was in outstanding form, capped by a brilliant hat-trick against Liverpool.

Since then, nothing, his performances gradually reducing to the point where he did not even make the bench for the weekend win over Wigan and doubt is again being raised about his long-term future.

"It has not taken Dimitar back to square one," Ferguson insisted. "In our game it is very difficult to play well every week.

"We are in a competitive league. The results themselves tell you something. Getting consistency of performance from front players is very difficult.

"Look around at other clubs. They are finding it much the same as us."

Ferguson is certainly right about that.

Less than a fortnight ago, the latest in a run of draws at Aston Villa was being castigated for the dismal performance which preceded a late fightback.

Wind the clock forward eight days and two Chelsea defeats, one for Arsenal and a Manchester City home draw with Birmingham have left United level at the top of the table,

the only unbeaten side left in the Premier League and a major threat for the top honours.

"There are a lot of ways of analysing football. You can look at the dropped points against West Brom, Everton and Fulham, all thrown away," Ferguson said.

"With those points, we could have been six clear. But we scored in the last minute against Wolves and at Aston Villa we could have lost by six and somehow managed to get a point out of it.

"That tells you the character of the human beings I have got. They are people who are prepared to do something about the situation."

In contrast, United's progress in the Champions League has been serene since a dreadful goalless draw with Rangers in September when they barely created a chance of note.

The defensive blockade may not have been pretty to watch, but it was another reminder of Smith's canny knack of getting more out of his players than their pure ability would suggest.

"Wherever Walter goes, his experience is important," Ferguson added. "That has proved itself in the work he has done here in his second spell, with no money at all.

"The resources at his disposal have been scant to say the least, but he has almost achieved a miracle in winning three titles on the trot."

And Ferguson is wary of Wednesday night's contest too.

A Rangers win would leave United in a last day confrontation with Valencia, with

another victory against Bursaspor taking them through at one of the favourites' expense.

"It is an interesting situation and one we have to treat pretty seriously," Ferguson said.

"It is all right saying we only need one point, but if Rangers win we then have to beat Valencia, so hopefully we can continue our form away from home in the Champions League."

Rahul

Basically, Hernandez will be warming the bench

I'd rather see Chica get a good run in the team rather than any other striker.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Hernandez isn't ready to be a first choice striker yet. There is already too much pressure on him. I think it'd be the right decision.

ciderman9000000

Hernandez' time will come soon enough. I'm happy to see him used predominantly as an impact substitute this season; I agree with SAF, the team will benefit from having a consistent front two pairing in Wayne and Berba back; whether or not those two can consistently make the best of their consistent pairing though remains to be seen.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
I know I'm going to get flamed for this but that statement from SAF sounds like he just can't bench one of his £30 mill signings. We've all been told to never judge a player by their price tag but it just seems like those two are simply too big to drop. Regardless of how "raw" Hernandez is (he doesn't seem too raw to me, considering that he's been one of our best attackers this season), his form should warrant a place ahead of either Rooney or Berbatov. Let Rooney earn his place back, he's done nothing at all, to warrant coming back as automatic first choice, if anything it should be the complete opposite.

As for the Berbatov-Rooney combination, its hardly lit up OT has it? The fact of the matter is, if either of those two had come with lesser fees, SAF wouldn't feel the need to make sure they click.

Let the flaming begin...

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
I know I'm going to get flamed for this but that statement from SAF sounds like he just can't bench one of his £30 mill signings.
Just like SAF couldn't bench him for the big UCL or PL games including the UCL final for the last 3 seasons. Oh wait....

ciderman9000000

You've just contradicted yourself there ciderman.
What I mean is that though Wayne and Berba have been far from consistent performers individually this season, giving them a consistent run of games together should help each find their form and the team would benefit as a result. Hernandez and Macheda both play well from the bench so I don't see any negatives with having them there for now.

wr8_utd

:'(
Hernandez and Macheda are both a bit raw at the minute for starting games in the Premiership but are the perfect impact players so i've objections at all to Rooney-Berbatov starting the majority with these 2 on the bench.
Started away to Stoke and got 2 goals, started vs WBA and got a goal. He's more than good enough to start games as long as he's not played in a ridiculous system.

Plus he's our top scorer. Lot of difference between him and Kiko

WireRed

He hasn't tinkered much from what I recall...Rooney's been injured and Hernandez has partnered Berba or Berba has played the lone role apart from Wolves(injury crisis)and Wigan(Berba dropped)games.. Seems a bit of a half-arsed excuse for Berba's own form from SAF more than anything.

In regards to who should play...Hernandez and one other for me, he's been our best forward and most potent goal threat by a country mile this season. Berba's latest dry patch makes that even more clear cut IMO.

Devil may care

It's a shame for Chicha as he has looked sharper than either this season but Berbatov is useless coming off the bench where as Chicha's pace can stretch a tired defense, so I reluctantly have to agree it makes sense to persevere with Rooney/Berbatov as the starting pair.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Since when is Hernandez in form?

He's looked like a brilliant impact sub but he hasn't looked good starting a game since Stoke. Never mind not looking good, he's been downright poor. People seen to forget that berbatov AND Hernandez both got the hook after woeful performances at Villa Park.

Huge difference looking good off the bench to actually starting a game. Otherwise Macheda has as much right to be called "our form striker" as anyone else.

WireRed

It's a shame for Chicha as he has looked sharper than either this season but Berbatov is useless coming off the bench where as Chicha's pace can stretch a tired defense, so I reluctantly have to agree it makes sense to persevere with Rooney/Berbatov as the starting pair.
Why should we persevere with a partnership that has yet to get off the ground and functions at a level around about "mediocre"? Not once have Rooney and Berba linked up as imagined when he signed over 2 years ago, and not once have both player's managed to thrive whilst in tandem. It seems insane to persist with such a misfit pairing that's never delivered throughout it's duration when both are misfiring and we've a goal scoring, promising, and ultimately better performing player ready to do the business.

Allforone

United could spend £85million on David De Gea, Phi
Why should we persevere with a partnership that has yet to get off the ground and functions at a level around about "mediocre"? Not once have Rooney and Berba linked up as imagined when he signed over 2 years ago, and not once have both player's managed to thrive whilst in tandem. It seems insane to persist with such a misfit pairing that's never delivered throughout it's duration when both are misfiring and we've a goal scoring, promising, and ultimately better performing player ready to do the business.
Are you ever happy? sorry but your always moaning about something.

Spoony

The People's President

He's looked like a brilliant impact sub but he hasn't looked good starting a game since Stoke. Never mind not looking good, he's been downright poor. People seen to forget that berbatov AND Hernandez both got the hook after woeful performances at Villa Park.

Huge difference looking good off the bench to actually starting a game. Otherwise Macheda has as much right to be called "our form striker" as anyone else.
Yeah he's been a bit hit and miss.

WireRed

Are you ever happy? sorry but your always moaning about something.
I'm asking a legitimate question, if that bothers you so much then that's your problem.

I am happy with the progress of Rafael, Hernandez, and Welbeck, I've been happy with some of our performances this season such as Newcastle, Everton, Stoke, Liverpool, I'm happy with our position in the league. So yeah, there are things about United which I see that please me, just that you choose to ignore my praising of team/individuals and choose to focus instead on constructive criticism about other things.

Are you honestly satisfied with the partnership of Rooney and Berbatov since the latter arrived? If you are, you're easily pleased. Why you've decided to have a go over that POV is a mystery to me.

Treble

That's wrong, surely. There were stats last season, that they combined more between themselves than any other two strikers in the Prem. If you need examples: Rooney's goal vs Fulham, brilliant goal.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon

Do you not think that Rooney should earn his place back in the team? From the sound of the interview, SAF has already settled that, Rooney-Berbatov is our first choice partnership. The two strikers that have contributed the most this season have been Hernandez and Berbatov.

Spoony

The People's President
Benezma in a cut price deal could be a good option. Real have been notorious for wasting talented players. He may be well worth a punt - that's if £20m can be regarded as a punt.

WireRed

That's wrong, surely. There were stats last season, that they combined more betwenn themselves than any other two strikers in the Prem. If you need examples: Rooney's goal vs Fulham, brilliant goal.
I couldn't give a monkeys about stats, they can be used to suit or sabotage an argument. If you're big on your statistics, you'll know that Alex is better than Vidic and Lucas Barrios is a better player than Iniesta. That says everything about the credence you can give to stats.

I believe in what I see each and every week on a football pitch, and for the vast majority of their being in tandem, they've not struck up any understanding or fluidity that benefits the team. It's also interesting to note that Rooney's best form for the club came in a season almost exclusively played without a partner, and more specifically our at the time only option there, Berbatov.

Allforone

United could spend £85million on David De Gea, Phi
I'm asking a legitimate question, if that bothers you so much then that's your problem.

I am happy with the progress of Rafael, Hernandez, and Welbeck, I've been happy with some of our performances this season such as Newcastle, Everton, Stoke, Liverpool, I'm happy with our position in the league. So yeah, there are things about United which I see that please me, just that you choose to ignore my praising of team/individuals and choose to focus instead on constructive criticism about other things.

Are you honestly satisfied with the partnership of Rooney and Berbatov since the latter arrived? If you are, you're easily pleased. Why you've decided to have a go over that POV is a mystery to me.

It doesn't 'bother' me at all, its the total opposite really, it seems as though nearly everything Sir alex says or does bothers you, and i dont really understand why that's all, just asking a question no need to get upset about it.

Me personally i don't see the downside in Sir alex saying he wants to give a more consistent look to our team by playing our 2 most experienced and best forwards consistently, i think continuity of selection can only be a good thing especially up front and i think Rooney back alongside Berbatov will also improve his form.

I guess i see the positives and you see the negatives, to suggest the partnerships been nothing above mediocre is ludicrous though a plain exaggeration and categorically untrue.

Treble

I couldn't give a monkeys about stats, they can be used to suit or sabotage an argument. If you're big on your statistics, you'll know that Alex is better than Vidic and Lucas Barrios is a better player than Iniesta. That says everything about the credence you can give to stats.

I believe in what I see each and every week on a football pitch, and for the vast majority of their being in tandem, they've not struck up any understanding or fluidity that benefits the team. It's also interesting to note that Rooney's best form for the club came in a season almost exclusively played without a partner, and more specifically our at the time only option there, Berbatov.
that's bollocks as well, you seem to be in fine form

Rooney's best form was from January to March. We played in most of the games in that period with 2 strikers apart from 6-7 games in the CL and the Prem. It's normal for Rooney to score more when he is the only striker, this doesn't imply there is little to no understanding between him and Berbatov. As regards the stats, even the managers use them extensively. If you think you can see everything you want to know, you are massively deluded.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Rooney doesn't need to earn back his place. He had been showing what he's capable of for years and he's much better then his 'competitors' are. What he need is games which I guess that's a fair deal considering how many games we gave to Berba to reach an acceptable form with us.

I understand SAF's decision in playing Berba. He can drop deep and create something, something our midfield need at the moment. On the other hand, once the midfield is sorted Id love to see Chica-Rooney given a try. Its the perfect mix of speed, finishing skills and heart that our forward line had always been renowned for.

Tumbling-Dice

Caf Nostradamus
Roy Keane has five kids, partly because of his Iri

Anyone who can't see Hernandez is our most in-form striker at present needs to go back to the drawing board I'm afraid.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
"We have a lot of good young options but hopefully we can get Wayne Rooney back to his best and Dimitar is suited to playing with Wayne
:rolleyes: (and that's the first time i use this smiley to comment on SAF's words)

Can anyone give me one reason for which either of Rooney or Berbs should be played instead of Hernandez?

Tevez -Berba scenario all over again

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
Err... Righto...

We don't have any in form strikers at the moment and Hernandez looks nowhere near ready to be relied upon as one of our first choice strikers.

Which is why Fergie is going with proven quality. Makes sense to me.
yeah Rooney scored one since March and Berb hasn't scred in his last 9 games. yeah makes sense my arse

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Rooney hasn't scored from open play for us since March, but he needs game time so fair enough. Berbatov hasn't scored since September and has been poor for two months. Gutted for Hernandez, who would've thought come the end of November he would be a tied top scorer?