Safe standing: Premier League clubs to have further talks

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38014711

Premier League clubs have agreed further talks on the possibility of introducing safe standing at grounds.

Top flight and Championship stadiums have to be all-seater since terraces were outlawed in the aftermath of the 1989 Hillsborough disaster.

Initial discussions between clubs were held on Thursday, with an emphasis on safety being of paramount importance.

West Ham co-chairman David Gold said the meeting represented the "first steps towards safe standing".

Issues around reintroducing standing at stadiums are believed to vary from club to club, with Everton confirming they are "not considering" safe standing.

Ninety six Liverpool fans died in the Hillsborough disaster, and Hillsborough Support Group secretary Sue Roberts said it would be a "backwards step" to bring back standing.

Dan Johnson, Premier League director of communications, said there had been a "softening" on the topic of standing, citing Celtic's 3,000 'rail seats' at Celtic Park as an example safe standing was working.

"Maybe at some clubs it might be how do we create an atmosphere and maintain it," said Johnson. "But I think a lot of it is to do with listening to their fans and hearing they're interested in looking at it.

"It is very early stages. It's a very emotive subject still. We're acutely aware of that.

"A number of our clubs do want to discuss it so it's on the agenda.

"We will discuss that but beyond that the only thing I can see happening at these early stages is a scoping exercise, talking to interested stakeholders - including fans' groups and Hillsborough families, but also talking with the government because the legislation is still in place for all-seater stadiums.

"I know it will create discussion but it's a long road and it might not necessarily lead to the introduction of safe standing."

pacifictheme

Completely for safe standing. genuinely do not see an argument against it. its not comparible to the situation at Hillsborough at all.

It works in Germany. its great.

Sir A1ex

I find it very strange that after everything that's happened, Hillsborough families still oppose this.

They have always maintained that the emergency services were to blame for the disaster, and they have now been officially proved right. The whole Taylor report was part of the police and government's attempts to shift the blame elsewhere, and as such should be widely discredited, and all of its findings revisited.

Akshay

Staff
I find it very strange that after everything that's happened, Hillsborough families still oppose this.

They have always maintained that the emergency services were to blame for the disaster, and they have now been officially proved right. The whole Taylor report was part of the police and government's attempts to shift the blame elsewhere, and as such should be widely discredited, and all of its findings revisited.
Yeah, I would have thought they would be supportive of it, as the blaming of supporters for the disaster was part of the movement that got standing room banned in the first place.

Reducation

I believe the Taylor Report acknowlegded that standing didn't cause the disaster, yet the subject has become a bit of a holy cow. Standing on terraces isn't dangerous. Over-crowding with no means of escape is dangerous, whether seats are present or not.
Would those who in the past made posts to the tune of "Never gonna happen - move on" now please stand up and be seen (excuse the pun)?

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
The "law" that states all grounds need to be all-seater should be scrapped immediately and then clubs should decide on an individual basis on whether or not they wish to introduce rail seating.

ZupZup

I stand for 90 minutes every match at Old Trafford and surely safe standing is a better and safer option than everyone just standing anyway in area built for sitting down.

Football is so behind the times and outdated on certain things in this country.

bio202

Supports
liverpool
Completely for safe standing. genuinely do not see an argument against it. its not comparible to the situation at Hillsborough at all.

It works in Germany. its great.
Agree with this. As long as its proven to be safe with correct/ample escape routes. And policed properly of course.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
I stand for 90 minutes every match at Old Trafford and surely safe standing is a better and safer option than everyone just standing anyway in area built for sitting down.

Football is so behind the times and outdated on certain things in this country.
This 100%. People stood a lot during matches when I was sat in the west stand (Lower) and during big games we stood for 90 minutes. Surely it's better to just introduce safe standing.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
What's stopping clubs installing rail seating at the moment? I know legislation does not allow for standing at grounds but it happens anyway. Rail seating is just that, seating. I've not read the law, but my guess is that it doesn't specify that seats installed at grounds should be plastic, shin bruisers. Why not introduce it as seating and manage it exactly the same as seats are currently managed? If legislation is passed in the future, then they can 'lock' the seats in the upright position. Until then, they remain unlocked and people sit as normal.

I'm completely for safe standing. I stand as often as I can and installing rail seating will only make that safer

BonkersIam

Supports
Vitesse, KSV, Rangers,
What's stopping clubs installing rail seating at the moment? I know legislation does not allow for standing at grounds but it happens anyway. Rail seating is just that, seating. I've not read the law, but my guess is that it doesn't specify that seats installed at grounds should be plastic, shin bruisers. Why not introduce it as seating and manage it exactly the same as seats are currently managed? If legislation is passed in the future, then they can 'lock' the seats in the upright position. Until then, they remain unlocked and people sit as normal.

I'm completely for safe standing. I stand as often as I can and installing rail seating will only make that safer
I believe (but ready to be proved wrong) that there is a minimum requirement for seating regarding dimensions and spacing which rail seating would not comply with

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Already is safe standing at OT: Stretford End Tier 2. Not yet used my seat for a single minute of a match this season.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
I believe (but ready to be proved wrong) that there is a minimum requirement for seating regarding dimensions and spacing which rail seating would not comply with
I thought there would probably be something that prevented it but wasn't sure. Thanks for the clarification

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40767568

Rail seating: Liverpool supporters vote in favour in fans' group online poll

Liverpool supporters have voted in favour of rail seating, in an online poll run by a leading fans' group.

Spirit of Shankly had an "emotive and sensitive" debate on the issue before holding an open vote, and 88% of the 17,910 people who voted were in favour.

There were 5% against, while the rest were undecided or wanted to know more.

Liverpool have said their supporters' position on the issue is "uniquely complex" because of the Hillsborough disaster, which claimed 96 lives.

The requirement for all-seater stadiums in England's top flight was a response to the tragedy and government legislation would need to change for so-called safe standing to be introduced.

Liverpool said they would "listen" to fans' views if the regulations were ever changed.

The Premier League wrote to its 20 clubs last month to assess whether they would be interested in staging trials.

'It's an incredible turnout'
SOS said the result of the vote was a "significant step given the sensitivities of the topic" in the city.

Chair Jay McKenna said: "It's an incredible turnout. We aren't aware of such numbers voting before.

"After nine months of discussion, we have now had the vote and it will be taken as the position for Spirit of Shankly.

"The size of the turnout majority means that no-one can be in any doubt that supporters have had their say and made an informed decision."

SOS said its members voted "broadly in line" with the overall outcome, but the group said the result should not be "overly celebrated".

"We say to anyone who is campaigning for this to understand sensitivities and respect the views of those who disagree," said McKenna.

"No-one wins here. This has been a mature and sensitive conversation and we have arrived at a position.

"Those who have been through incredible heartache and tragedy have every right to be heard and to ask important questions about safety.

"It was important in our conversations to have these answered. It would be wise for that to take place elsewhere."

The growing debate
Debate about the issue of safe standing has grown since Celtic introduced about 3,000 rail seats at Celtic Park at the beginning of last season.

Representatives from the Scottish champions and the Sports Ground Safety Authority, which oversaw regulations regarding the move to all-seater stadiums, were present at the meeting held by SOS prior to the vote.

SOS has discussed the issue with members since September, and has met with survivors of the Hillsborough disaster and families of those who died.

West Bromwich Albion have said they would be willing to use The Hawthorns as part of a pilot scheme for safe standing.

Don't know if this warrants a new thread but seemingly a very important step towards introducing safe standing into the premier league?

I would be all for it and would absolutely love if we could move into the new stadium with a 17,000 single tiered stand with safe standing.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40767568

Rail seating: Liverpool supporters vote in favour in fans' group online poll

Liverpool supporters have voted in favour of rail seating, in an online poll run by a leading fans' group.

Spirit of Shankly had an "emotive and sensitive" debate on the issue before holding an open vote, and 88% of the 17,910 people who voted were in favour.

There were 5% against, while the rest were undecided or wanted to know more.

Liverpool have said their supporters' position on the issue is "uniquely complex" because of the Hillsborough disaster, which claimed 96 lives.

The requirement for all-seater stadiums in England's top flight was a response to the tragedy and government legislation would need to change for so-called safe standing to be introduced.

Liverpool said they would "listen" to fans' views if the regulations were ever changed.

The Premier League wrote to its 20 clubs last month to assess whether they would be interested in staging trials.

'It's an incredible turnout'
SOS said the result of the vote was a "significant step given the sensitivities of the topic" in the city.

Chair Jay McKenna said: "It's an incredible turnout. We aren't aware of such numbers voting before.

"After nine months of discussion, we have now had the vote and it will be taken as the position for Spirit of Shankly.

"The size of the turnout majority means that no-one can be in any doubt that supporters have had their say and made an informed decision."

SOS said its members voted "broadly in line" with the overall outcome, but the group said the result should not be "overly celebrated".

"We say to anyone who is campaigning for this to understand sensitivities and respect the views of those who disagree," said McKenna.

"No-one wins here. This has been a mature and sensitive conversation and we have arrived at a position.

"Those who have been through incredible heartache and tragedy have every right to be heard and to ask important questions about safety.

"It was important in our conversations to have these answered. It would be wise for that to take place elsewhere."

The growing debate
Debate about the issue of safe standing has grown since Celtic introduced about 3,000 rail seats at Celtic Park at the beginning of last season.

Representatives from the Scottish champions and the Sports Ground Safety Authority, which oversaw regulations regarding the move to all-seater stadiums, were present at the meeting held by SOS prior to the vote.

SOS has discussed the issue with members since September, and has met with survivors of the Hillsborough disaster and families of those who died.

West Bromwich Albion have said they would be willing to use The Hawthorns as part of a pilot scheme for safe standing.

Don't know if this warrants a new thread but seemingly a very important step towards introducing safe standing into the premier league?

I would be all for it and would absolutely love if we could move into the new stadium with a 17,000 single tiered stand with safe standing.
Pretty big, all things considered it would have been impossible to do safe standing in England without Liverpool supporters' backing.

Grib

Just seeing an article in sky about this again

'Safe standing moves closer to return'

http://www.skysports.com/share/11928252

Would Old Trafford even be able to facilitate it?

Seemingly if this ever ends up returning in the top tier UK leagues the seats must stay, given how tight it is at OT is there even room to have barriers with the current seating