Saints Row 3

Lance Uppercut

The first Saints Row 3 details have arrived, via US retailer mag Game Informer.

Just as we revealed last week, GI confirms that Saints Row: The Third sees the Third Street Saints evolve from street gang to household brand name - but their celebrity status has not gone unnoticed and they're now locked in a war with legendary criminal fraternity, 'The Syndicate'.

The third game has you yet again playing as the same custom hero from the first and second Saints Row games, this time introducing what's described as a "San Andreas-style" levelling system in which XP points will decide your combat skills, or even how fat or thin your character is.

Fans will be pleased to hear the series has maintained its unique brand of humour, says GI, with character costumes including space suits, cowboy outfits, cheerleader, pirate and ninja costumes.

There's also a weapon that sounds like a gigantic, floppy sex toy. Apparently you can add an unmistakable degree of insult to your attacks by battering baddies with this particular item, and every weapon in the game also includes a new 'nut shot' move, each of which is unique to individual weapon.

Your arsenal is now fully upgradeable, the mag reveals, with assault rifles ready to be bolstered with sniper scopes and grenade launchers and shotguns able to be fitted with a third barrel to turn them into "Gravediggers".

The motoring side of the game sees similar customisation options, says GI, and players can pimp their motors in both a cosmetic and performance fashion.

Interestingly, missions can now be tackled in multiple ways, it's revealed, with a siege against an enemy tower given as one example. Players can either decide to fight through the tower and take it for themselves, gaining access to new funds, or they can just blow it up.

Another example is a mission tasking you to capture a boat full of prostitutes. Once captured players can opt to sell the boat back to its owners for cash, or keep it and pimp out the working girls for extra funds.

Another nifty sounding feature includes the new 'RC gun', which shoots electronic bugs that attach to vehicles and allow you to control them remotely. Apparently this weapon will be upgraded as you progress allowing you to capture larger vehicles, but it still sounds useful for ploughing unmanned motors into groups of enemies.

Finally, multiplayer has been completely dropped from Saints Row 3, with the online focus instead shifting to co-op, says GI.

Good stuff. We'll hopefully have more for you very soon.
C&VG

I can't wait for this. I loved the second game, it was a blast. The developers have stated that this will look as good as GTA4, yet retain the sense of fun the series is renowned for.

This is scheduled for release before Christmas this year. :)

Kaos

Great news :D

I loved SR 2, didn't take itself as seriously as GTA IV but was heaps more fun IMO. I saw it as the true spiritual successor to San Andreas.

beardsleybob

I don't like the slapstick element of it for some reason. I like GTA because they make it seem realistic. Maybe I'm being an igorant shite but I like my games realistic these days

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
loved saints row 1&2, great fun looking forward to this one:D

Lance Uppercut

Yeah, you shouldn't have to pay more than that. And you too will be able to drive a sewage truck around the city spraying buildings with shit. Quality.

Hawkeye

The more I see of this the more insane it gets. :lol:

Newest trailer

Its gone all Tron! :eek:

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Think I might pick this up instead of MW3/BF3, I fancy a good sandbox game and surprisingly I've just not been arsed to buy either of the new FPS options.

I've never played the earlier games though, how does it compare to GTA? Is it worth picking up SR2 on the cheap to play through first so I've got an idea of story or are the titles independent?

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
I read that they have dropped online mulitplayer - except for the co-op missions.

Crazy if true - love deathmatches on GTA!

Lance Uppercut

Similar scores to SR2, so far. I loved it. I suspect I will probably buy this. Hope the metal station is as good as it's predecessor.

beardsleybob

I played it last night eventually. Wasn't that fond of it at all. The AI is retarded, aiming and movement is crap. I mean I know it's not a serious game but that doesn't mean the gameplay has to suffer

SharkyMcShark

Horrified
Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
Got it on launch yesterday.

It's not as good as the second, and not as deep either. There are less cars, guns, outfit options, can't choose fighting style anymore, not as much car customisation, and the city in this is smaller and more generic.

EDIT: Oh, and while in the second all the characters were more or less loveable pricks, in this they're absolute wankers that I detest across the board.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
feckers.

I'm in two minds as to whether to get this or just pick up SR2 for peanuts.