Sam Johnstone

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Has signed a professional contract. Don't know if its been reported elsewhere, sorry if its already posted.

MPTutd

I saw that. Is he going to be first choice. I assume it has been guaranteed that he will be.

MPTutd

Just read elsewhere that Johnstone is going as first choice as their regular keeper (Josh Lillis) is out for three months with a knee injury.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
Just reading IanDangerously's post in the match thread vs. Wolves and thought I'd comment in here in agreement. I really think that this boy will be a challenger to De Gea long term. Although I also think De Gea is fantastic Johnstone is definitely the best young keeper I've watched coming through the ranks in my lifetime, and I expect within the next 5 years he'll be number 2 and challenging for that number 1 spot.

lysglimt

Scout
Not unless he improves dramatically when coming off the line. He is talented - I ll give him that - but he is not gonna threaten de Gea if he spaniard has a normal development.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
Not unless he improves dramatically when coming off the line. He is talented - I ll give him that - but he is not gonna threaten de Gea if he spaniard has a normal development.
I think De Gea is something special with how good he is so early. For me Johnstone is on a more normal course to becoming a very good keeper. Just comparing him to the likes of Zieler, Amos and Heaton who are all decent keepers he seems a level above imo.

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
It's gonna take a hell of a lot to replace either of De Gea and Lindegaard as #1 and #2 in my opinion, though from what I've seen of him he seems like a great prospect. I can see him being shipped out on loan fairly soon though, as I think he needs to get challenged phyiscally over the next few years to really cope if given the chance in the PL.

He faces a tough task to replace either of Amos, Lindegaard or De Gea though, but obviously he got time on his side (to be fair, so does all of the other 3 aswell..)

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
It's gonna take a hell of a lot to replace either of De Gea and Lindegaard as #1 and #2 in my opinion, though from what I've seen of him he seems like a great prospect. I can see him being shipped out on loan fairly soon though, as I think he needs to get challenged phyiscally over the next few years to really cope if given the chance in the PL.

He faces a tough task to replace either of Amos, Lindegaard or De Gea though, but obviously he got time on his side (to be fair, so does all of the other 3 aswell..)
Been on loans already to Scunthorpe and Oldham. As you've said his main problem is who he has to displace, sadly I don't see him over coming De Gea

lysglimt

Scout
I think De Gea is something special with how good he is so early. For me Johnstone is on a more normal course to becoming a very good keeper. Just comparing him to the likes of Zieler, Amos and Heaton who are all decent keepers he seems a level above imo.
Johnstone is almost poor on crosses for someone as tall as he is - even at this level when he is usually not up against 6ft3 strikers knowing every trick in the book.

He really has a LOT of work to do in that area - you can always claim that he is young and all that - but he gets it wrong a bit too often for my liking.

lysglimt

Scout
Only just turned 19 too. Championship footie at 18 is rare for a keeper, he's coming along nicely.
Anyone know how tall he is - I remember Paddy saying something about him growing even more - and he speculated that he must be 6ft3 or 6ft4

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
I'd say 1.93ish. Paddy always reckons everybody's grown.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Was man of the match for me today in the crucial U19 match against the Swiss.

We actually have 2 very promising players in Amos and Johnstone - wonder whether we'll keep both. Can't see it tbh - not like keepers get rotated much, and they're all around the same age as De Gea.

Sucks to say about a local lad, but could be a nice little profit maker after a great season or two on loan.

RedPhil1957

Didn't see the game tonight but every game i have seen him he looks class.

He reminds me of Joe Hart in his attitude on the pitch - seems to have the same confident look about him - any errors are ignored and he just gets on with it.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Nah he hasn't enough experience for that.......Amos is maybe a option as No.2 behind De Gea for next season

He's 19 i think.....so needs games
Not sure either is ready to be De Gea's understudy next season. I've seen us linked with Schmeichel Jr. and Molde's Ørjan Nyland at a couple of dodgy sites but if Lindegaard wants to leave this summer we might have to invest. Gollini and especially Pereira look like better prospects than Johnstone and Amos to me, but they're a few years away from being taken into consideration. Image google Gollini and tell me it's not meant to be...

Goooose

Nah he hasn't enough experience for that.......Amos is maybe a option as No.2 behind De Gea for next season

He's 19 i think.....so needs games
Forgot about Amos. I think the best way for keepers to learn is to just pla, make mistakes, and see if they have the chops to recover.

Levo

Band of Brothers
Not sure either is ready to be De Gea's understudy next season. I've seen us linked with Schmeichel Jr. and Molde's Ørjan Nyland at a couple of dodgy sites but if Lindegaard wants to leave this summer we might have to invest. Gollini and especially Pereira look like better prospects than Johnstone and Amos to me, but they're a few years away from being taken into consideration. Image google Gollini and tell me it's not meant to be...
NSFW for those in work.

Brophs

The One and Only
Yeah, I wouldn't be that thrilled with the idea of Amos coming in and starting important games if DdG was injured, so I can see us buying someone with more experience in that case. I wouldn't actually object to us bringing in a Schwarzer type signing where you know he's not going to be fazed if he is parachuted in from the cold to play a few games. Who that keeper could be, though, I'm not sure. A few years ago there were a lot more slightly older keepers with bags of experience who wouldn't have cost the earth.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
I consider Gollini to be the best of the lot to be honest.

Santos J

Will be a shame if he's off but you can't blame him, he needs first team football at a good level and although he's talented he doesn't have much hope of making it here when De Gea's only 2 years older than him.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Makes sense really as I think he is good enough to be playing for a lower PL team or top Championship side. Not sure what he's going to do now though. Loan to a Championship side maybe unless he got a mutual termination like Davide but that would be stupid from us as we could get a decent fee for him.

khoazany

With Lindegaard staying obviously he won't stay this year.I expect a loan to Derby or that sort.

westlife4ever

I think he would thrive on another loan. Did great for Docaster last season.

With Lindegaard staying, he wouldn't get any minutes at United.

I can see him replacing Lindegaard next season.

FromTheBench

He can't be sold now, so got to be a loan to the championship or that sort.

He needs to be playing.

Decotron

Id be very disappointed if we sold him at this stage of his career. it would be a piss poor decision given his age and progression in the last 12 months.

His was fantastic for Doncaster in his loan spell. really impressed me with his presence in and around the box. Keeping Amos and letting him go makes no fking sense.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Id be very disappointed if we sold him at this stage of his career. it would be a piss poor decision given his age and progression in the last 12 months.

His was fantastic for Doncaster in his loan spell. really impressed me with his presence in and around the box. Keeping Amos and letting him go makes no fking sense.
It would be a piss poor decision for him to stay if he has an offer elsewhere. You can be impressed all you want. Fact is he's 23 and only 3 years younger than the main keeper. There's no future for him here.

Decotron

It would be a piss poor decision for him to stay if he has an offer elsewhere. You can be impressed all you want. Fact is he's 23 and only 3 years younger than the main keeper. There's no future for him here.
You should probably get your aul facts right before wading in !

He turned 21 in March.

I presume you're thinking of Amos?