Sami Khedira

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
And there's also the possibility that he just confirmed there was a bid from somebody and the press just decided to run with the United story. If we were interested in Khedira - whatever the price - it'd be the first time I'd be seriously worried. We've already shown we were desperate but at least beforehand we were making fools of ourselves for players good enough for us.

Agreed, honestly the whole transfer window i've been kind of disappointed but not too fussed but the news of us doing that if it is true, kinda scared me shitless... what people do we have in charge if they think bloody Khedira is worth that? hope it isn't true.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Making an offer for Khedira if Fellaini was going to be too expensive makes sense, just not if Khedira was going to cost more. I'd take Khedira over Fellaini, just not at an even more ridiculous price. 25m maybe, never more than that.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Fellaini, Khedira is worth about half that. I can live with us giving Everton extra money for Fellaini, they're a nice club and all, I'd be livid if we paid about 40% of Bale's fee by taking Khedira off them.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I just don't get it... if the reports are true and that 40m euros was offered for Khedira... why the feck wasn't that amount initially offered for Fabregas :houllier:

Because we weren't panicking like idiots when we were bidding for Fabregas.

Fergie's Man

Suffers Snails fetish
I just don't get it... if the reports are true and that 40m euros was offered for Khedira... why the feck wasn't that amount initially offered for Fabregas :houllier:

We were purely testing the water and trying to unsettle Fabregas. If there was any encouragement, I dare say we would have gone to reasonably silly money.

starman

Sorry i know we acted like retards this window, but theres no way we offered that amount. Real are just on a wum. First this then the piss take Coentrao deal that was never going to happen.

To think we would have only needed to pay 8 mil more and we could have ended up with Ozil. Spend 13 mil more would have gotten us James McCarthy.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
We were purely testing the water and trying to unsettle Fabregas. If there was any encouragement, I dare say we would have gone to reasonably silly money.
I dont get all the fuss about the low bids for Fabregas. As you say, they were clearly intended to test the waters and see if the players head 'could be turned'. We upped the bid a 2nd time, again to signal to the player that we were seriously wooing him.

Im sure we would have paid whatever it took to land him had Fabregas indicated that he was desperate to leave. Ozil's fee to Arsenal is a good indication of what it would have required so about £45m.

fatboy

I dont get all the fuss about the low bids for Fabregas. As you say, they were clearly intended to test the waters and see if the players head 'could be turned'. We upped the bid a 2nd time, again to signal to the player that we were seriously wooing him.

Im sure we would have paid whatever it took to land him had Fabregas indicated that he was desperate to leave. Ozil's fee to Arsenal is a good indication of what it would have required so about £45m.
Would we pay whatever it took? I'm not sure Woodward and Co. even have a clue, you're really giving them too much credit here. The silly 25mil or 30mil bids were rightfully laughed off by Barca, and if I were Fabregas I'd be aghast/embarrassed. And I honestly think given the incompetence of our crew, those were genuine, hopeful bids.

As for Ozil's fee, that was due to his desire to leave, and Madrid's willingness to sell. This wasn't the case with Fabregas and Barca. Everyone was trying to read into the situation, "Oh Fabregas must be quietly giving encouragement", "Ah the fact that Barca didn't tell us to f**k off mean it's on!". Honestly that whole deal was dead in the water before it even set sail. 45mil is wishful thinking in such circumstances.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
£27.5m for Fellaini or £33m for Khedira?

Fellaini, he has more to offer as a player... Khedira is just a midfielder who can screen, a less adventurous Carrick without the similar range in passing and in terms of ability on the ball, not technically gifted.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I already wrote my opinion about the whole thing in the Woodward thread, but it fits here aswell.

My reaction to that sum:

What the feck?

The thought that of all people Sami Khedira would become United´s record transfer is mind blowing. Don´t get me wrong, Khedira is a good and solid DM and had some decent seasons for Real (the national teal is a different matter), but he is nowhere near worth that. This is the same sum, which Bayern payed for Martinez (and they even admited over paying for him), who offers so much more as player, more than United was willing to pay for Fabregas and more than double than what Luiz Gustavo (who I see on a similar level and style) went for.

Has Woodward lost any touch to the transfer market? Maybe he never had one. If I were in the board of United, I would let him handle the sponsorship, which is something he seems to have actual knowledge of, and let someone different handle the transfers. Someone, who actually understands the workings of the market, because as far as bidding goes, he has made absolutely no sense this summer.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
I already wrote my opinion about the whole thing in the Woodward thread, but it fits here aswell.

My reaction to that sum:

What the feck?

The thought that of all people Sami Khedira would become United´s record transfer is mind blowing. Don´t get me wrong, Khedira is a good and solid DM and had some decent seasons for Real (the national teal is a different matter), but he is nowhere near worth that. This is the same sum, which Bayern payed for Martinez (and they even admited over paying for him), who offers so much more as player, more than United was willing to pay for Fabregas and more than double than what Luiz Gustavo (who I see on a similar level and style) went for.

Has Woodward lost any touch to the transfer market? Maybe he never had one. If I were in the board of United, I would let him handle the sponsorship, which is something he seems to have actual knowledge of, and let someone different handle the transfers. Someone, who actually understands the workings of the market, because as far as bidding goes, he has made absolutely no sense this summer.

Why the feck do you believe this Khedira gossip enough to go so mental about it?

I think the muppets are close to the edge.

kps88

The only thing we know for sure is that a bid was made. The actual bid amount has just been paper talk.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Why the feck do you believe this Khedira gossip enough to go so mental about it?
Because Khedira was explicity asked about the 40 Mil. € offer by United, which Khedira replied to that Madrid declined the offer. Granted Khedira does neither confirm the sum nor correct the reporter about it. The only thing Khedira mentions about transfer fees is that players have no power of the amount of money paid for them.

So yes, it is my intepretation of the whole thing. From my past experiences, I do however don´t count the BBC as a paper which exaggerates heavily. The root of that is not the DailyMail or Sun, after all.

charleysurf

Because Khedira was explicity asked about the 40 Mil. € offer by United, which Khedira replied to that Madrid declined the offer. Granted Khedira does neither confirm the sum nor correct the reporter about it. The only thing Khedira mentions about transfer fees is that players have no power of the amount of money paid for them.

So yes, it is my intepretation of the whole thing. From my past experiences, I do however don´t count the BBC as a paper which exaggerates heavily. The root of that is not the DailyMail or Sun, after all.
But you are specifically going mental about the sum offered, and you are basing that on gossip.
Wouldn't it be in the interests of Madrid and the player himself to spin the number as high as possible?

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
But you are specifically going mental about the sum offered, and you are basing that on gossip.
Wouldn't it be in the interests of Madrid and the player himself to spin the number as high as possible?
That part I don't understand? Why would Madrid want a rumour that they declined an offer over €40m for Khedira? Let's be honest, the one party that looks even more idiotic than United, if this is true, is Madrid. It's not like he's a fan favorite as far as I know, quite the opposite and he's clearly not worth anything even close to that number. I thought Khedira had no clue at all about how big the offer was, when he was talking at the press conference yesterday. He basically said, that the club instantly declined every bid for him without even asking him about it and Ancelotti told him, that he wants him to stay and talked with him about his role in the team.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
The figure quoted is definitely over the top, but is Khedira really as bad as people are making out?

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
The figure quoted is definitely over the top, but is Khedira really as bad as people are making out?
He's OK but why not go for Gustavo if this was the type of player we were looking at? Stinks of a random panic bid with no thought.

Bestie07

He's a good player. But he would have been what one would describe as a panic buy at a ridiculously high price. As angry as I am over our incompetence in the transfer window in this summer, it has had it's benefits, missing out on Baines and Khedira the chief among them.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He's a good player... but he's also incredibly uninspiring and well, just a bit dull.

He's basically a much better Gareth Barry.

charleysurf

That part I don't understand? Why would Madrid want a rumour that they declined an offer over €40m for Khedira? Let's be honest, the one party that looks even more idiotic than United, if this is true, is Madrid. It's not like he's a fan favorite as far as I know, quite the opposite and he's clearly not worth anything even close to that number. I thought Khedira had no clue at all about how big the offer was, when he was talking at the press conference yesterday. He basically said, that the club instantly declined every bid for him without even asking him about it and Ancelotti told him, that he wants him to stay and talked with him about his role in the team.
Because they've sold Oezil and but want to assureMadrid fans that they are not selling any other key players even if crazy money is offered by crazy English clubs.
The higher the number they turned down the better it looks.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
He's OK but why not go for Gustavo if this was the type of player we were looking at? Stinks of a random panic bid with no thought.
Khedira and Gustavo are totally different players. I'm still a bit confused why Sphaero compared them. Gustavo is your typical destroyer, a great holding midfielder, great at tackling but not really great at running forward. Khedira is a box to box midfielder and never played the defensive role. Schweinsteiger always did for Germany and Alonso often looked like he's asked to do too much defensively to cover for Khedira's runs at Real. He's really shit at tackling, his passing and technical ability isn't great, but he's very good at running in space and his workrate makes up for a lot of his faults. At Stuttgart he mostly played at the top of a three men midfield or even as a 10 in a midfield diamond. I called him a fraud a few times. Because of his style he looks like a defensive midfielder but he's really not good at it and rarely played that role. He's okay as a box to box midfielder, but his positional sense is questionable and his contribution in attack isn't enough at the top level for that role. I still love van Gaal for the decision not to buy him, when he was available in 2010 and hopefully Gündogan takes over for him at the nationalteam alongside Schweinsteiger.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Because they've sold Oezil and but want to assureMadrid fans that they are not selling any other key players even if crazy money is offered by crazy English clubs.
The higher the number they turned down the better it looks.
Why didn't Real spread a rumour about a 125m offer for Ronaldo? That would have been more believable and probably impressed the fans a lot more ;)

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
40 million euros for Khedira... and people thought i was being crazy for wanting Barry. Similar style and level of play, one on loan for a year, the other would cost a fortune in wages and transfer price.

Toldcha.

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
Kevin, come on. You would love a midfield of Fellaini - Barry ahead of Herrera - Carrick wouldnt ya?

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Kevin, come on. You would love a midfield of Fellaini - Barry ahead of Herrera - Carrick wouldnt ya?
Carrick, fellaini, kagawa with a backup of cleverley and barry ready to step.in for Fellaini would have completed our.midfield.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Barry would have been a delightful signing.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
If Fellaini turns out to be quite a good signing will Kevin pretend he was serious all along?

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Surely he deserves a tagline going along with Bargain Barry or some sort? Thank feck Kevin isn't doing transfers instead of Woody; I'd much rather we got no one in the summer than Barry.