Sancho or Messi? Who would you try to sign?

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Poll please. @Damien not sure who to ask for this?

With Messi reportedly available this window who would you rather we make efforts to sign?

Last edited:

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Jadon first, then Messi on a trial.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Sancho would give us years and years of service, Messi, while undoubtably one of the best ever is 33 and would obliterate our wage structure.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Messi's not leaving Barca, he's just chucked his toys out of the pram

SAFMUTD

Sancho all the way, besides the age and wages being a factor we dont have the players to play the way Messi plays. We would have to reshape our whole squad to be compatible for a player that eventhough is the goat is 33 and declining.

Skills

Snitch
Messi in a Man Utd shirt would be something worth telling your grandkids about.

Woodzy

Sancho but wouldn't be upset if we got Messi for two years. Would be a pretty special.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
The way our luck has gone the past few years I wouldn’t be surprised if Messi turned into Sánchez the minute his plane landed. I’d prefer us to stick to the plan and sign young talent.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Messi's not leaving Barca, he's just chucked his toys out of the pram
Regardless in this hypothetical scenario who would you pick and why?

Genuinely think it’s a very interesting debate between the greatest player of this generation nearing the end of a career and a young English winger with the potential to be a world beater.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Wtf is this? One is the best player to ever play, incredible and absolutely outrageous stats, someone who would take us to win the league and champions league, and probably win a World Cup.

The other is Messi.

Jev

Messi, easily. He's the best player ever, seeing him in a United shirt would be a dream come true. He's also the best player in the world currently and would, unlike Sancho, instantly make us title favourites. He has the one thing our attack needs, experience, and wouldn't block the path for Greenwood/Rashford for too long. The commercial interest it would generate would mean it would also make financial sense.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
This thread is hilarious
How so? What’s wrong with a bit of hypothetical discussion they can be fun!

For example it’s no different to discussing how would you feel if Spurs won something? Hypothetical but fun!

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Wtf is this? One is the best player to ever play, incredible and absolutely outrageous stats, someone who would take us to win the league and champions league, and probably win a World Cup.

The other is Messi.
Top muppetry

passing-wind

Sancho, if this was Messi at Sancho's age then it's not really worth debate but he's getting over the hill.

Zen

Messi would not instantly make United title favourites - well maybe on paper, but realistically, not. Man Utd have been quite prone to messing it up big time with big players recently, why would Messi be different - he'd certainly push Bruno away from where he is now too, forget what the rest of the attack has been working towards recently - he's worth chancing it of course, but I'd not be confident over Liverpool and City purely to it.... because, unfortunately, Solskjaer.

He's not already well travelled like Ronaldo to Juve.... it's a big risk. At least at City, theres already language and Barca connections, also KdB is very much on his level footballing wise - which Pogba or Bruno are not quite up to.

All in all, I don't know, probably Sancho... likely less risky, I wouldn't want Messi to end up like di Maria did at Old Trafford, theres nothing to really bed him in easily. Mega challenge for him.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
We don't have the means to utilise Messi. I don't think it would be the nirvana some envisage.

Sancho is custom made for our right flank and we wouldn't have to change a thing to accommodate him.

As good as he is, this version of Messi, whose fitness seems to be fading by the year, needs a system totally revolving around him to optimise him.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
#10 isn’t vacant here but #7 is soon to be :drool:

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
33 years old, 1,3 million Euros a fecking week... yeah, I don't know if that's the smart thing to do. It's Messi, I know, but c'mon.

MrSingh2002

Messi.

I rate Sancho but would rather spunk wages on Messi than a huge transfer fee and wages on Sancho. Worth a try. Messi may not want to follow Pep.

King Eric 7

I wouldn't want us to pay a 33 year old player an insane amount of money per week, certainly not for the contract length Messi would be seeking. We can't win the league with him, so I don't see the point. That's why I'd go with Sancho. It seems incredibly unlikely that we'd be challenging for the title next year, so I'd rather have a young forward line who will learn to gel with each other over a longer period.

E-mal

Funny thread everywhere on the cafe tonight. Guys go to bed and wake up tomorrow, you'll feel less shite.

Sancho though will be first choice.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Barca aren't selling Messi to a European club. There would be riots in the streets. If he leaves this summer it will be only to a MLS club or back to Argentina and he's still too good for that. He will stay and they will sack the board and everyone they need to in order to keep him.