Sander Berge

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I guess, but he started his career in Germany. The jump from 1860 Munich to Dortmund was of course a big one but way smaller than RC Genk to Manchester United. Bit of an anomaly too, to be fair. Captained Munich at 18. Not bad going at all.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Some talk about Berge to Arsenal for £18m. Hope not, Wenger has a PhD in how to waste talents.

DWelbz19

That fee would really surprise me. Berge is great, but that essentially would make him the second or third highest transfer of all time in the Belgian league, and he's only been there six months.

GwilDor

Newspaper VG(norwegian) reports today that Genk refuses to sell him this summer. Sports director Dimitri De Condé says they are not open to selling his in this window as he has only been with them for 6 months, and can still develop a lot with them. He also says there is real interest from clubs from England(Arsenal), Spain(Sevilla), France(Monaco) and Italy(Atalanta, according to Di Marzio).

Sevilla, according to a Sevilla-local newspaper had 2 offers refused at 57mNOK(£5,3m) and 76mNOK(£7m), and also has put up a 3rd offer of 95mNO(£8,8m), potentially with clauses a total of 145mNok(£13,4m).

Personally i haven't seen that much of him, so i have no opinion on the speculations. Just updating as it is in the norwegian news.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Newspaper VG(norwegian) reports today that Genk refuses to sell him this summer. Sports director Dimitri De Condé says they are not open to selling his in this window as he has only been with them for 6 months, and can still develop a lot with them. He also says there is real interest from clubs from England(Arsenal), Spain(Sevilla), France(Monaco) and Italy(Atalanta, according to Di Marzio).

Sevilla, according to a Sevilla-local newspaper had 2 offers refused at 57mNOK(£5,3m) and 76mNOK(£7m), and also has put up a 3rd offer of 95mNO(£8,8m), potentially with clauses a total of 145mNok(£13,4m).

Personally i haven't seen that much of him, so i have no opinion on the speculations. Just updating as it is in the norwegian news.
signed him on fifa he was great. Type of player that Dortmund/Monaco will pick up before selling for a huge profit. English clubs seem to rarely target these players in the infancy of their development. Shame really, I had hoped we'd pick player like him and Tielemans up before they inevitably hit stardom.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
signed him on fifa he was great. Type of player that Dortmund/Monaco will pick up before selling for a huge profit. English clubs seem to rarely target these players in the infancy of their development. Shame really, I had hoped we'd pick player like him and Tielemans up before they inevitably hit stardom.
Some here have already given up on Shaw and Martial we do not have the patience for that.

Brightonian

Some here have already given up on Shaw and Martial we do not have the patience for that.
Exactly. People want it both ways. I'd be all for us signing a few more prospects like this, but people won't even give top drawer talents a season or two before they expect them to be reliable top performers, so some kid who's only just started playing for Genk wouldn't stand a chance.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Sevilla president saying they’ll be in for him again in January. Whoever picks him up will be getting an absolute tank that is very composed on the ball. Rare combination as players of that height are usually labelled donkeys. Oh and he smashed all his Genk teammates on the sprint and agility tests in pre season. Was MOTM vs Northern Ireland the other night too.

DWelbz19

Genk midfield alumni looking excellent with De Bruyne, Milinkovic-Savic, Ndidi and now Berge

James Peril

Sander Berge is an average player who has found his level. If he goes to Sevilla, he will not start any games and will end up back in Belgium or the Netherlands in two years. He is Norwegian after all, and we Norwegians have no special assets except maaaybe Ødegaard. Just good at running and being dedicated and tactical, other words for compensating the fact that the passing and technique is limited.

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
Sander Berge is an average player who has found his level. If he goes to Sevilla, he will not start any games and will end up back in Belgium or the Netherlands in two years. He is Norwegian after all, and we Norwegians have no special assets except maaaybe Ødegaard. Just good at running and being dedicated and tactical, other words for compensating the fact that the passing and technique is limited.
Hmm..

lysglimt

Scout
At the age of 19 - he completely bossed the midfield against Northern Ireland. I was really impressed with him - and his passing certainly isn't limited.

Nickosaur

Write him off at your Peril...

donkeyfish

Definitely has the talent to end up playing in one of the top leagues. Not sure if he's good enough to play for the best clubs though, time will tell.

Seen a few interviews too, and he seems to have his head in the right place. Which is a promising feature. And he spent a few years in the by far best Norwegian club, getting a solid football education.

barmyarmy

Looks like a right footed younger version of Matic shields & carries the ball very well under pressure, has good range of passing too.

CapitalismSucks

Supports
Spurs
Definitely has the talent to end up playing in one of the top leagues. Not sure if he's good enough to play for the best clubs though, time will tell.

Seen a few interviews too, and he seems to have his head in the right place. Which is a promising feature. And he spent a few years in the by far best Norwegian club, getting a solid football education.
Busted!
I don`t know by what metric you could say Vålerenga is by far the best Norwegian Club.
Look at honours, Average league position over whatever time frame you want, heck, even average attendance...
On points per £ (or Krone) used, I`d say they are probably the worst team in Norway..
In fact they are so shit, that even though they are the only team from Oslo (a good 2,5 x larger than second largest "city" in Norway, they average less than 10K in attendance per match.
Last player of any significance they developed (before possibly Berge) was John Carew.
He only turned "good" when he left for Rosenborg, and never became that good anyways...

That said, as a norwegian, I really like Berge. The combination of physicality and passing ability could make him a good replacement for Dembele down the line.
Would be awful if we (Norway) actually managed to produce a top player and he ended up in Arsenal....

*Edited since my post ended up in the quote

donkeyfish

There's a throng of Vålerenga greats, plying their trade in football behemoths such as FC Nordsjælland, APOEL, Fortuna Dusseldorf and Liverpool. And Carew was one of the best players in Norway the final year here, bossing Besiktas away in the real Istanbul miracle.

Peasant :)

CapitalismSucks

Supports
Spurs
There's a throng of Vålerenga greats, plying their trade in football behemoths such as FC Nordsjælland, APOEL, Fortuna Dusseldorf and Liverpool. And Carew was one of the best players in Norway the final year here, bossing Besiktas away in the real Istanbul miracle.

Peasant :)
I stand corrected. ^^
I guess technically Johua King was there from the age of 14 to 16 as well.
However, hardly a star, and would probably be worse if he had not fled to the United academy....

Bestietom

Think we will bring in an established player in January. Dendoncker or maybe someone already playing in the Premiership

MUFC OK

Think we will bring in an established player in January. Dendoncker or maybe someone already playing in the Premiership
Not trying to derail but he looked very promising when he played against us last season.

United Pro

Not trying to derail but he looked very promising when he played against us last season.
I watched him in the champions league this season and he was all over the place and misplaced passes that directly led to goals conceded. I'm not sure he's quite ready for us yet.

MUFC OK

I watched him in the champions league this season and he was all over the place and misplaced passes that directly led to goals conceded. I'm not sure he's quite ready for us yet.
Fair enough, we cant be taking chances at present and I'd rather we sign someone who is ready made to improve us.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout

:lol:
Rosenborg:

Vålerenga:

donkeyfish

As an advanced, egalitarian social democracy, Norway has transgressed beyond caveman-like stats such as number of silver buckets in your closet. Far more nuanced and sophisticated criteria are applied in this next generation of state. stop shattering my illusions!

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
As an advanced, egalitarian social democracy, Norway has transgressed beyond caveman-like stats such as number of silver buckets in your closet. Far more nuanced and sophisticated criteria are applied in this next generation of state. stop shattering my illusions!
There is also the double (home & away win) against Valencia in 2007.

Legends like Roar Strand, Nils Arne Eggen, Steffen & Odd Iversen and many more.
And experiences like these for a coach that leaves:

Table from 2017:

I'm sorry, but Vålerenga is a footnote when compared against Rosenborg both currently and historically.
Rosenborg is the Norwegian equivalent to Real Madrid, Ajax, Bayern Munchen or Manchester United;
Vålerenga in that comparison would be Real Sociedad who has won something a long time ago & runs around in the middle of the table, not being relevant. Vålerengas claim to popularity in Norway comes from one thing, being the main club in the capitol.

Fosu-Mens

Berge should;
  1. Play in La Liga for 2 seasons(technical improvement). Seems like most players do improve in passing and ball handling when playing in Spain. N'Zonzi's now compared to how he haw in Stoke! Well he actually was comfortable on the ball, but now he is faster and more efficient.
  2. Play in Serie A for 2 seasons to get a better tactical understanding and flexibility.(Except Darmian.)

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Hope it is ok to not start a new thread? (I would not have. Instead I considered not writing the post.)

Someone recently brought an interesting article about Berge to my attention.

He is quite big (approx 195 cm and 95 kg I would guess). The staff at Genk was consequently quite surprised when he turned out to be their fastest player on 10 m, 20 m and 40 m. He clocked in at 1,445 sek, 2,557 sek and 4,669 sek on these distances. He was also the fastest player at the club when they tested their «suppleness» (not sure if correct?).
(I do not have numbers for several players, but its better than Carew at his peak.)

His physical attributes makes him very special. 20 years old. Potential replacement for Ander Herrera?
Mate please don't bump a transfer thread with analysis about the player. Let's keep it for transfer news only.

Status
Not open for further replies.