Television SAS - Celebrity

TheReligion

Abusive
Well who has been watching this then?

Tony Bellew is on it and a nutter. Very angry man calling his own team mates cnuts. John Fashanu. Very strange bloke, tried to choke out the main guy of Rudimental during the tyre game. There's Joey Essex and some other feckers too. Quite interesting seeing them get done over by Middleton, Foxy and co.

United Hobbit

I've been watching as like the ones with "regular" people but not seen episode 2 yet.

I'm liking Joey but think he will struggle with the bit where they remember the made up cover story

Oggmonster

Tony Bellew is on it and a nutter. Very angry man calling his own team mates cnuts. John Fashanu. Very strange bloke, tried to choke out the main guy of Rudimental during the tyre game. There's Joey Essex and some other feckers too. Quite interesting seeing them get done over by Middleton, Foxy and co.
That whole scene was bizarre. Bellew encouraging them to give the dancing guy dead legs, Fash choking that guy out whilst everyone stood around confused. Fash has always been odd in the media, I remember watching a show his daughter produced a few years ago and he came out that looking awful. If your own daughter can't make you look good on TV then you're probably not the greatest human.

Like most things with Bellew I'm pretty sure most of it is an act to create interest in him. He's always played up to a certain image....he never used to be able to go longer than a minute in an interview reminding everyone how he's a "fat Scouser who just wants to do well for his kids" I think he'll do well in this and I'm sure there will be some kind of typical redemption ark for him where he opens up to the SAS guys.

Joey Essex will probably do well on it as well and I'm sure one of the ones who hasn't actually said a word yet but is just hanging round the background, even in the regular show there's always one of them who you've never seen before in the final 3.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
It's great tv - I only know who a few of the celebs are and a few of them are complete nutters - Fash and Bellew in particular appear to be quite unhinged. It's just generally a great show - still prefer the normal version but the celeb version is also good simply because they do not dial down the challenges one bit for them and it is clearly extremely tough.

United Hobbit

I’ve met Ant Middleton.

Just wanted to mention that.
What was he like? I read his first book it was really interesting, its a shame he couldn't go into more detail about his missions but it's understandable he couldn't
Jordan wearing fake eyelashes must have pissed them off so much. It's the last thing youd wear for something like that!

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
What was he like? I read his first book it was really interesting, its a shame he couldn't go into more detail about his missions but it's understandable he couldn't
Jordan wearing fake eyelashes must have pissed them off so much. It's the last thing youd wear for something like that!
He was the main speaker at an event I attended so he was in public persona mode but he seemed a lovely bloke (now) albeit clearly absolutely mental.

Told some stories about his past (also in his books if you have read them) that showed he was a bit of a dickhead in his younger days to say the least, including his time in prison, but he’s learnt from his past and turned his experiences into positives so fair play to him.

Could barely go two sentences without swearing but I think that is as much down to the environments he’s lived his life in.

I enjoyed hearing him speak and had a brief chat with him before the event and like I say he seems a nice guy. Wouldn’t cross him though obviously :lol:

I should probably give this show a look.

He was the main speaker at an event I attended so he was in public persona mode but he seemed a lovely bloke (now) albeit clearly absolutely mental.

No doubt, I've not met him but he comes across as somebody who is battling hard to keep his demons locked away. Still seems a friendly bloke though.

He makes good TV shows too in a genre i usually despise. It was funny watching Tony Bellew bubbling under the surface knowing he couldn't push it too far with the bloke stood in front of him.

United Hobbit

Told some stories about his past (also in his books if you have read them) that showed he was a bit of a dickhead in his younger days to say the least, including his time in prison, but he’s learnt from his past and turned his experiences into positives so fair play to him.

Could barely go two sentences without swearing but I think that is as much down to the environments he’s lived his life in.

I enjoyed hearing him speak and had a brief chat with him before the event and like I say he seems a nice guy. Wouldn’t cross him though obviously :lol:

I should probably give this show a look.
Yeah he definitely comes across as someone you wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of! In his book he talks about being quite a family man I guess he must have 2 personalities his "game face" so to speak and then the more relaxed family one I doubt he let's his children watch his shows!
I've read his first book and it was really interesting shame he couldn't go into more detail about his missions he was involved in but understandable he cant. I'm not surprised they have demons after some of the things hes probably seen and had to do, they show a little bit of them talking about their lives after their service during the main shows (the ones with normal people taking part)

Heardy

Bit weird that the show is called SAS: Who dares wins, when the "staff" including Ant Middleton and Jason Fox were in the SBS rather than SAS!

I suppose more people are familiar with the SAS, but i assume that the selection for SBS/SAS are different?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I think the biggest car crash I've ever seen on TV was Ant Middleton climbing Everest in hero mode over what an accomplishment* it is and then throwing a wobbly when he realised he had to join a long queue for his allocated few seconds on the pinnacle.

*It is an absolutely monumental accomplishment.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Bit weird that the show is called SAS: Who dares wins, when the "staff" including Ant Middleton and Jason Fox were in the SBS rather than SAS!

I suppose more people are familiar with the SAS, but i assume that the selection for SBS/SAS are different?
The selection process is the same and if you pass through you can pick which one to go into. Middleton chose SBS as he’d served in the Navy previously.

I assume the title is just because SAS is better known as you say.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

Did you see him on I'm a Celebrity years back, when he kept getting voted to do the challenges? He was doing all this kung fu shadow boxing to psyche himself up while clearly shitting himself about the bugs.
Very odd guy. Isn't he a born again Christian too?

TheReligion

Abusive

I think it's widely held that the SBS is more reviered than the SAS.

Did you see him on I'm a Celebrity years back, when he kept getting voted to do the challenges? He was doing all this kung fu shadow boxing to psyche himself up while clearly shitting himself about the bugs.
Very odd guy. Isn't he a born again Christian too?
No I haven't seen much of him previously. That said it sounds like he was fostered as a child and brought up in a predominantly white area where he received terrible racist abuse. Then when you factor in his brothers suicide and his part in it im really not surprised he appears so unhinged.

Heardy

The selection process is the same and if you pass through you can pick which one to go into. Middleton chose SBS as he’d served in the Navy previously.

I assume the title is just because SAS is better known as you say.
Interesting - i assumed selection was different! I suppose Special Services require that same skill / mindset irrespective if serve in the SAS/SBS.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Fashanu is a massive dickhead. Talks absolute shit too.
"Once you step over the white line as a footballer there are no rules" Apart from all the rules.
"You're not a footballer if you don't say you're brilliant" Or just not you.

Bellew is as loose a cannon as you'll ever see. Has zero control. Would be no surprise if he ended up killing someone one day.

Oggmonster

"Once you step over the white line as a footballer there are no rules" Apart from all the rules.

Bellew is as loose a cannon as you'll ever see. Has zero control. Would be no surprise if he ended up killing someone one day.

he won't do that. He just lives for his wife and kids.

It's an act, I'd be massively surprised if he doesn't have some awakening in the interrogation room before the show is up. If you watch his career especially the last 5 or so years he's a hugely predictable person how he speaks and acts.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Caught up with this last night. I’m not a violent man by nature but if Fashanu had put that choke hold on me in what was essentially a game, once I’d caught my breath I’d have knocked that twat clean out.

Made me cross just watching it.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
think it's widely held that the SBS is more reviered than the SAS.
Isn't that just because it's more "hip" to do so? They are part of the same thing now (UKSF) and according to the Google machine they get sent on joint missions together, but the SBS is not as well funded and less well known in the public consciousness.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Isn't that just because it's more "hip" to do so? They are part of the same thing now (UKSF) and according to the Google machine they get sent on joint missions together, but the SBS is not as well funded and less well known in the public consciousness.
They’re the underground scene of the special forces

It's an act, I'd be massively surprised if he doesn't have some awakening in the interrogation room before the show is up. If you watch his career especially the last 5 or so years he's a hugely predictable person how he speaks and acts.
I don’t get the impression it’s an act but it could just be the way the program is making him look.

He reminds me almost of Chris Eubank. Puts this calm, erudite veneer over what is clearly a messed up character.
Yeah I know what you mean actually. Fashanu seems more snide though.

It used to be different and the SBS were once publicly criticised for their performance in Iraq.

Nowadays they're both the same for all intents and purposes. Selection and training is identical until the very last parts and they go on operations together. The only difference is one focuses on land operations and the other on amphibious. They might end up merging.

Oggmonster

I don’t get the impression it’s an act but it could just be the way the program is making him look.
Not sure, maybe I'm unfairly judging him based on his boxing career but he used to speak in cliches like he has on the show, he's always come across as one massive act to me and it's why I've never quite warmed to him as a boxer.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
He reminds me almost of Chris Eubank. Puts this calm, erudite veneer over what is clearly a messed up character.
Yeah I know what you mean actually. Fashanu seems more snide though.
Whilst they might have a similar way of annunciating their words weirdly, I don't think it's fair to stain Eubank's character by comparing him with Fashanu. John Fashanu is one of the Wimbledon greats and yet he is pretty much universally disliked because of the awful things he did to some of our players in the Crazy Gang years which he is bizarrely still proud of. Eubank loves the limelight and is a natural showman but everything I've seen and heard of him off camera makes me think he's not a monster like Fash.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Ps Fashanu is now on Good Morning Britain speaking about his brother, trying to get sympathy despite his disgraceful actions and subsequent words.

Last edited:

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Whilst they might have a similar way of annunciating their words weirdly, I don't think it's fair to stain Eubank's character by comparing him with Fashanu. John Fashanu is one of the Wimbledon greats and yet he is pretty much universally disliked because of the awful things he did to some of our players in the Crazy Gang years which he is bizarrely still proud of. Eubank loves the limelight and is a natural showman but everything I've seen and heard of him off camera makes me think he's not a monster like Fash.
Yeah Eubank is a bit odd but underneath it all I think there is actually a pretty nice guy there. Fash I'm not so sure.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
No I agree, I wasn’t saying Eubank is horrible but there’s no doubt he has some issues. Fashanu reminds me of Eubank in the way he has clearly manufactured an erudite veneer over the person they are underneath.

GledTheRed

He's a weirdo, he'll kill someone for sure. Hate him!

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
That and Fash thinking Ant Middleton was asking for his mobile number are 2 of the funniest things I've seen on the show. Fash must of been cringing all the way home after doing that.
That was great :lol:

For all his talk about being a warrior etc, he was an absolute pussy with that forward abseil.
I'm awful with heights, but I'd have had to do it. Partly because I'm stubborn with myself and have to overcome things, partly because it's on fecking tv man.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

I don't think it's an act. He has demons and now no outlet to work towards and periodically release the built up pressure from. He's also had a mess of a relationship with his dad, which is something that will haunt him very probably for the rest of his life. The fuel from a messed up past not used in the correct manner is a primed timebomb that just needs the right flashpoints to trigger it, which is why Ant mentioned what he did and honed in on road rage, where you're more likely to already be wound up before a direct confrontation.

Bellew, like so many retired sportsmen, needs to find an outlet that replaces decades of routine and coping mechanisms. That's tough even for those who aren't fuelled by rage and are just bored, but even more tasking when you've not dealt with the issues that very probably aided him and brought the successes to his sporting life.

I get what you're saying, and Bellew is a bunch of verbal cliches, but his mannerisms and non verbal actions are big tells and insight into what he is, or is trying to deal with, in this show, imo. I said to the OH he's on the edge early on in the episode where they all duffed him up, and he let slip some terrible choice words (really calling other participants cnuts and what have you) and lashed out in a way, as a former world champion, he should be ashamed of. Nevermind for show, as for show, you rarely see that kind of behaviour from the normal show, and when you do (they had the Geordie one who'd lost his brother do the same) it always revolves around deep-seated issues that overspill and manifest as we see. If Bellew acted that, then Creed won't be his only Hollywood gig!

If you're around enough powder kegs, I think the mannerisms are quite easily identifiable; Bellew's status doesn't belie what he is carrying with him and I actually think the affable, intentionally insufferable and mouthy scouser is the act and persona - we've seen him basically be a terrible team-mate, using physical and verbal intimidation in every challenge that requires controlled aggression, snarling at those who fail and having terrible levels of empathy (compounding feelings of failure at the worst possible time) again nothing to do with words to camera or hamming, but rather him showing himself not being, let's say, in the best state of mind. The insights into his psyche along with Joey, Fash and the athlete girl revealed sides to them I think they would rather people not know about - the above definitely is oil to water as far as Bellew the fight promoter is to the guy who looks like he needs nary a reason to kick off.

Fash tries his best not to look unhinged, but every time he's on TV, he further confirms he's clearly not altogether there.

Joey, when all the layers are stripped back, is an extremely self-centered individual, who understandably prefers to go it alone and have faith only in himself. The lovable idiot who doesn't know anything about anything that is basically TV gold for those who laugh at him, shows his real self when under duress. Not that that's bad, just that it's different from the generalised perception of him.

If you can be arsed, re-watch the episodes or flashpoints and see how much overlap you actually think there is between the Bellew in this show and the Bellew you've seen even in those The Gloves Are Off pre-fight hype jobs, where acting out could be an avenue to sell the show.

For me, it's a marked difference. I'm taking away from this show that Bellew better find something to replace boxing, pronto. I actually found Bellew the fight seller the more fraudulent than the one we're seeing here, personally. If this show was used with intention of projecting an image, the one he's put forth would be more embarrassing than anything - lashing out indiscriminately and even having women in that crossfire, is surely not the 'look' he'd be going for.

Heardy

@Fortitude / you watch tonight’s episode? Think you’re right on Bellew. He comes across as a ticking timebomb.

Him pretty much squaring up to Ant Middleton was mental to see. It’s a fight I’d be interested to see, world champion cruiser weight with a foot and 20kg weight/height advantage against an ex-special forces elite soldier.

no weapons / no rules - who’s your money on? Without Queensbury rules, you’d think Ant Middleton right?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
@Fortitude / you watch tonight’s episode? Think you’re right on Bellew. He comes across as a ticking timebomb.

Him pretty much squaring up to Ant Middleton was mental to see. It’s a fight I’d be interested to see, world champion cruiser weight with a foot and 20kg weight/height advantage against an ex-special forces elite soldier.

no weapons / no rules - who’s your money on? Without Queensbury rules, you’d think Ant Middleton right?
I've not seen it yet. Will watch tomorrow.

Quite honestly? No idea! So many factors there that are complete unknowns on both sides.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
"I'll show you a fecking casualty" :lol:

The insights into his psyche along with Joey, Fash and the athlete girl
I actually like her, but I imagine she'll watch it back and be very embarrassed about the way she acted to Joey.

Oggmonster

I don't think it's an act. He has demons and now no outlet to work towards and periodically release the built up pressure from. He's also had a mess of a relationship with his dad, which is something that will haunt him very probably for the rest of his life. The fuel from a messed up past not used in the correct manner is a primed timebomb that just needs the right flashpoints to trigger it, which is why Ant mentioned what he did and honed in on road rage, where you're more likely to already be wound up before a direct confrontation.

Bellew, like so many retired sportsmen, needs to find an outlet that replaces decades of routine and coping mechanisms. That's tough even for those who aren't fuelled by rage and are just bored, but even more tasking when you've not dealt with the issues that very probably aided him and brought the successes to his sporting life.

I get what you're saying, and Bellew is a bunch of verbal cliches, but his mannerisms and non verbal actions are big tells and insight into what he is, or is trying to deal with, in this show, imo. I said to the OH he's on the edge early on in the episode where they all duffed him up, and he let slip some terrible choice words (really calling other participants cnuts and what have you) and lashed out in a way, as a former world champion, he should be ashamed of. Nevermind for show, as for show, you rarely see that kind of behaviour from the normal show, and when you do (they had the Geordie one who'd lost his brother do the same) it always revolves around deep-seated issues that overspill and manifest as we see. If Bellew acted that, then Creed won't be his only Hollywood gig!

If you're around enough powder kegs, I think the mannerisms are quite easily identifiable; Bellew's status doesn't belie what he is carrying with him and I actually think the affable, intentionally insufferable and mouthy scouser is the act and persona - we've seen him basically be a terrible team-mate, using physical and verbal intimidation in every challenge that requires controlled aggression, snarling at those who fail and having terrible levels of empathy (compounding feelings of failure at the worst possible time) again nothing to do with words to camera or hamming, but rather him showing himself not being, let's say, in the best state of mind. The insights into his psyche along with Joey, Fash and the athlete girl revealed sides to them I think they would rather people not know about - the above definitely is oil to water as far as Bellew the fight promoter is to the guy who looks like he needs nary a reason to kick off.

Fash tries his best not to look unhinged, but every time he's on TV, he further confirms he's clearly not altogether there.

Joey, when all the layers are stripped back, is an extremely self-centered individual, who understandably prefers to go it alone and have faith only in himself. The lovable idiot who doesn't know anything about anything that is basically TV gold for those who laugh at him, shows his real self when under duress. Not that that's bad, just that it's different from the generalised perception of him.

If you can be arsed, re-watch the episodes or flashpoints and see how much overlap you actually think there is between the Bellew in this show and the Bellew you've seen even in those The Gloves Are Off pre-fight hype jobs, where acting out could be an avenue to sell the show.

For me, it's a marked difference. I'm taking away from this show that Bellew better find something to replace boxing, pronto. I actually found Bellew the fight seller the more fraudulent than the one we're seeing here, personally. If this show was used with intention of projecting an image, the one he's put forth would be more embarrassing than anything - lashing out indiscriminately and even having women in that crossfire, is surely not the 'look' he'd be going for.
Apologises for lack of reply, think you quoted me in the MMA thread shortly after and I missed this one!

Appreciate your comments and after last night I've probably been slightly harsh on him, he clearly does have demons and issues that he is dealing with I just think with most things related to him he does just exaggerate it to a point.

The stuff about his brother in law is sad and the feat of heights that comes with it. He obviously got his cliche in of loving his wife and kids, has to get that in every second of his life. You are right though I just can't seperate between the boxing talk and how he is on this show at times.

Some of it is funny, but some of it does come across really unhinged and surely there'd be some kind of physiological analysis before he goes this far on the show? If everything he says isn't any kind of exageration he shouldn't be allowed to carry on.

The danger here of course is none of us know him (I don't think) outside of television and boxing and are all judging him on a 1 hour TV show a week or a boxing career where we probably saw him for 10 hours or so a year maximum. If he does feel the way he does on this show though he really really needs help and they shouldn't let him continue on it. I can't help but feel he's going to be one of the winners and they're going to play it as a redemtion angle or something though. Can already see Ant hugging him and them both crying in that little hut they end up in.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
"I'll show you a fecking casualty" :lol:

I actually like her, but I imagine she'll watch it back and be very embarrassed about the way she acted to Joey.
To be fair, she did say she's so zoned in that she does lack self awareness at times, and since it's been brought to her attention, her behaviour has changed.

The 'redemption angle' Ogg speaks about below is going to look great on her.
Apologises for lack of reply, think you quoted me in the MMA thread shortly after and I missed this one!

Appreciate your comments and after last night I've probably been slightly harsh on him, he clearly does have demons and issues that he is dealing with I just think with most things related to him he does just exaggerate it to a point.

The stuff about his brother in law is sad and the feat of heights that comes with it. He obviously got his cliche in of loving his wife and kids, has to get that in every second of his life. You are right though I just can't seperate between the boxing talk and how he is on this show at times.

Some of it is funny, but some of it does come across really unhinged and surely there'd be some kind of physiological analysis before he goes this far on the show? If everything he says isn't any kind of exageration he shouldn't be allowed to carry on.

The danger here of course is none of us know him (I don't think) outside of television and boxing and are all judging him on a 1 hour TV show a week or a boxing career where we probably saw him for 10 hours or so a year maximum. If he does feel the way he does on this show though he really really needs help and they shouldn't let him continue on it. I can't help but feel he's going to be one of the winners and they're going to play it as a redemtion angle or something though. Can already see Ant hugging him and them both crying in that little hut they end up in.
I think you're being harsh/cynical on him - he said this incident occurred two years ago, so it's very probably changed him from the insufferable scouser he was when talking up his fights. The good thing for him is he's around soldiers who can relate and are trying to help, in their own special way. Passing psychological tests when not under duress is going to be different to how one acts when having all their buttons intentionally pushed - I think they (tests) weed out people who are completely unsuitable and unfit to even entertain going through a process like this, which is different to the issue with Fashunu and Bellew as lots of people have lost somebody and overcome that, or at least managed to get a handle on it, and both of them are perfectly normal in most circumstances. They have people like them on the normal show - in the last season, two who passed the course were similar (the Geordie who'd lost his brother, and the guy from the gangster family) so it's nothing new.

Sure we get a snapshot of heavily edited footage and we know nothing but what we're shown, but you're surely not surprised to see that the backstories explain the behaviour exhibited by: Joey, Fashanu, Bellew and the girl (I really should find out her name!)?

On another note, it's good that the celeb show is no different to the normal one.

Oggmonster

To be fair, she did say she's so zoned in that she does lack self awareness at times, and since it's been brought to her attention, her behaviour has changed.

The 'redemption angle' Ogg speaks about below is going to look great on her.

I think you're being harsh/cynical on him - he said this incident occurred two years ago, so it's very probably changed him from the insufferable scouser he was when talking up his fights. The good thing for him is he's around soldiers who can relate and are trying to help, in their own special way. Passing psychological tests when not under duress is going to be different to how one acts when having all their buttons intentionally pushed - I think they (tests) weed out people who are completely unsuitable and unfit to even entertain going through a process like this, which is different to the issue with Fashunu and Bellew as lots of people have lost somebody and overcome that, or at least managed to get a handle on it, and both of them are perfectly normal in most circumstances. They have people like them on the normal show - in the last season, two who passed the course were similar (the Geordie who'd lost his brother, and the guy from the gangster family) so it's nothing new.

Sure we get a snapshot of heavily edited footage and we know nothing but what we're shown, but you're surely not surprised to see that the backstories explain the behaviour exhibited by: Joey, Fashanu, Bellew and the girl (I really should find out her name!)?

On another note, it's good that the celeb show is no different to the normal one.
True each to their own I suppose. I just can't escape his boxing act so I'm most probably using it against him. I do feel sorry for him with the stuff he said it's horrible and part of it I definitely don't think is an act but I just can't escape his career of playing up to cameras and his "I'm a dangerous Scouser who's fat and just fights for me wife and kids" stuff which we both know about from his career. They have had similar people on the main show agreed but I didn't see many of them act like Bellew even Foxy was saying it's a bit weird hes headbutting the beach for example!

Lauren I think you mean? The one armed one? I'm guessing so I didn't even realise the other 2 were on the show til last night!

Yeah agreed if anything they get a harder time cos of who they are.