g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Saudi signing wave: What are the implications? Is it weakening the Premier League?

justsomebloke

We are clearly witnessing a major new development in International football this window: The Saudi league flexing its financial muscles, and drawing talent on a big scale. Not just damaged goods clubs are keen to unload or fading stars, but also players good enough to be a significant presence in the Premier League. And for some reason, they seem to be going for PL players more than the financially weaker other 4 big leagues.

Ruben Neves, Riyad Mahrez, Jordan Henderson, Fabinho and probably Mitrovic and St Maximin are leaving. In addition to Koulibaly, Mendy, Kante, Firmino and Telles, who all fit the more traditional Big Final Paycheck profile. CR already there, of course. We've probably not seen the last.

What does it mean? Clearly, there's strategic intent - Saudi clubs are unlikely to all individually decide the time has come to throw serious money around, and aim to build the domestic league into more of a powerhouse. Probably, the Saudi efforts to get a World Cup is one part of it. The Saudis and gulf money more generally have already invested heavily in European clubs, and have built a strong position of influence in FIFA and other governing bodies. Should European football start being concerned about a global challenge here?

Zlatattack

They've took Telles and may take Bailly.

Imagine, just imagine if they took Martial and Maguire too.

That's strengthening our squad in my opinion.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
The fact we got $4 mil out of close to a billion spent is just shocking
That is crazy. I think Chelsea benefitted the most...by a distance.

Does the billion include wages though? Because that likely distorts the number. I don't recall a billion in transfer fees, unless i've missed quite a few signings.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Nothing significant yet, all has beens or nothing players.

TheGodsInRed

Does the billion include wages though? Because that likely distorts the number. I don't recall a billion in transfer fees, unless i've missed quite a few signings.
Yeah the actual transfer fees have been pretty low. They have been going after either aging players, bench players or ones with 1 year left on their contracts.

Conor

At the moment they are strengthening the PL, they're taking all the old and overpaid players off people's books, allowing them to refresh their squads with younger players.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I think it could strengthen the league, clubs are getting rid of players on high wages that no one else could afford and then reinvesting that money.

TheLord

Weakening the Premier League? Nah, just the opposite if you look at the broader picture. Let him take more deadwood. The big leagues will gain from oil money.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Yeah the actual transfer fees have been pretty low. They have been going after either aging players, bench players or ones with 1 year left on their contracts.
Yeah, i don't see anyone on that list (outside maybe 2-3 names) and go "wow"....players mostly in their 30's+/been out of form, squad players etc. - sure they can still do a job in the EPL, but they're mostly after money they won't get offered in Europe.

The only thing to consider would be how sustainable this model is though - in the long term (decade+)...

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I am surprised at how many people think it won’t weaken the Premier League. The bottom ten teams are going to be really susceptible to this trend. Fulham and Wolves have already arguably sold their best players.

red.knight

Currently, the Saudi clubs are buying known players that are 30+ to popularize their league, they are gonna buy young top players in the coming years, they will be buying the tv rights, they will move games abroad, in time it will be one of the elite leagues. Players will go where the money is. You can't blame them. How long before UEFA invite Saudi clubs into European competitions. You can see this a mile away.

The Saudi league already have Ronaldo, Benzema etc, who are far better players but Henderson is the first current Premier League captain from one of the biggest Premier League clubs to decide to make the move. Its a big statement to the premier league players and fans that a very loyal Liverpool captain will leave to join the Saudi League. And therefore the signing is more relevant to those that follow the Premier League than when the likes of Ronaldo, Benzema went over there.

Pickle85

I think it’s going to be massive. I hope it fecks the Premier League to be honest- greedy pricks deserve it.
Can you really see a league in Saudi taking off to a point where it competes with the European leagues? I can't. No champions league, a country which I imagine many would have reservations about living in, and clubs with no history to speak of...they'll pick up some mediocre or past it reasonably well known players and then it'll eventually fizzle out. Like when China tried a similar thing.

Dan_F

You’re in denial if you think it’s going to stick to aging players. We’re not even 8 months out from them signing Ronaldo and look at all the names going there. Sure it’s helping Premier League clubs in the short term, but it’s legitimising the league for younger players to move soon enough.

Even the likes of Mitrovic and Neves are solid Premier League level players. Fill the squads with enough of these players and soon enough they will start signing younger players that could be moving to Premier League teams, thus weakening the league.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
At the moment they are strengthening the PL, they're taking all the old and overpaid players off people's books, allowing them to refresh their squads with younger players.
They are arguably helping the big clubs by taking the players they don't really want anymore, but probably weakening the other clubs. Normally those players would often be dropping down to the mid-lower tier clubs so they are losing that avenue, plus also some of their better players (like Mitrovic and Neves) are leaving for that big wage.

I'd say the intention from the Saudi's is to start like this, and then as the league gets more recognition they'll increase the level of players they go for and might start challenging the top clubs for players.

MegadrivePerson

You’re in denial if you think it’s going to stick to aging players. We’re not even 8 months out from them signing Ronaldo and look at all the names going there. Sure it’s helping Premier League clubs in the short term, but it’s legitimising the league for younger players to move soon enough.

Even the likes of Mitrovic and Neves are solid Premier League level players. Fill the squads with enough of these players and soon enough they will start signing younger players that could be moving to Premier League teams, thus weakening the league.
100% this.

Take the signing of Jordan Henderson for example. He might be 33 years old and pretty washed up as a Premier League player, but he's still the captain of Liverpool.

If they carry on then soon players will skip the Premier League and head straight to Saudi Arabia.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
It's never going to replace the premier league. Money is a huge factor, but realistically most top players want to play at historic big clubs. That will very likely never change bar a massive uefa shakeup such as the super League.

Cloud7

There have been a couple players here and there who you would say are probably around their best years, but by and large they seem to be picking up the end of career deadwood or some middling players who are probably not going on to achieve much more.

It doesn’t seem too different to what China were doing, albeit the sums of money are much larger, but I still can’t see this harming the PL in the long term.

The only way I think it would start doing any serious damage is if they somehow find a way to be admitted into the CL. At that point I think, not just the PL, but all the European clubs, would then have a big problem on their hands.

However, the question does remain, how much of a sustainable investment is this actually for SA? I know they have a lot of money, but even then these are huge sums of money being invested that are unlikely to derive any sort of return, so even if it is a vanity project, at some point they might consider it not worth it.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I am surprised at how many people think it won’t weaken the Premier League. The bottom ten teams are going to be really susceptible to this trend. Fulham and Wolves have already arguably sold their best players.
Well such league team balances made Real Madrid, Barcelonas & Bayerns stronger in the CLs - so i can see some more PL wins.

I wouldnt be the most shocked if City won another - or considering ten hags cup comp ability ( 2 finals in 1 season & nearly getting ajax in to a cl final) that even we might fluke one like Chelsea did.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
It'll benefit the Premier league, shore up clubs finances and free space squad up for youth players to get a chance. Perfect timing considering the wider global economy.

Top players at their peak still want to be in Europe regardless of how many $ the Saudis have.

Telsim

It's going to be one of the stronger leagues in a few years. You are deluding yourself if you think they are going to stick to retirees and nothing players. It's a matter of time before the league is brought into UEFA proper.

Strelok

Obviously no. I'd say they're doing the top leagues in Europe a big favour. Wait until the top players in their prime moving there and start worry.

OmarUnited4ever

I wonder what impact it would bring to Saudi League, imagine Al-Ahli with ASM, Firminio, Mahrez & Mendy coming up against Ittihad's Benzema, Jota, Kante & Fabinho, or Al-Hilal who have Koulibaly, Neves, SMS and Mitrovich against AlNassr's CR7, Brozovich, Telles, some of these matchups will be tasty and might bring the level of the competition up.

SuperiorXI

They would have to spend untold amounts to match the quality of the PL, even Saudi wouldn't be willing to spend that much. Unfortunately this is a case where they can't just throw money at it and be considered top dogs, it takes many years of heavy investment and natural growth.

I think it's more likely that they're just trying to make their league look shiny for the World Cup and once that's over and done with they'll drop off again.

justsomebloke

Nothing significant yet, all has beens or nothing players.
No it hasn't. That's exactly the point, and the reason there is anything to discuss. Neves, Mahrez and more are neither has beens or nothing players.

SparkedIntoLife

At present, it’s strengthening top teams but weakening the bottom half of the league. In a few years it could be the top league in the world. Money talks and effective marketing can increase the prestige of the Saudi clubs where club history is lacking. I think it’s deeply concerning for the PL in the long term, especially as they don’t play by the same rules financially (i.e. FFP).

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
It's never going to replace the premier league. Money is a huge factor, but realistically most top players want to play at historic big clubs. That will very likely never change bar a massive uefa shakeup such as the super League.
I think you’re in for a huge surprise; relying on legacy and prestige won’t be anywhere near enough to fend this off, if they’re serious.

justsomebloke

I think it could strengthen the league, clubs are getting rid of players on high wages that no one else could afford and then reinvesting that money.
Again, the whole point here is that they are doing more than that. Though many fit that description, they are also taking some really good players in their prime. Many enough to take note. And many enough that you can't just lazily fob this off as another case of what Chinas was doing some years ago.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

If the Fabinho deal goes through, that transfer fee alone is more than all the fees combined chelsea have received. We’re saving more on Koulibaly’s wages but Fabinho and Henderson put together is comparable to Koulibaly.

Mahrez’s £30M fee is roughly about the same as what Mendy and Koulibaly were sold for combined.

Dan_F

Wasn’t the same said a few years back when China were buying loads of players?
Come on. China signed no one close to the level of players that are moving to Saudi. This is also directly using the states money. I think it’s fair to say they aren’t going to pull the plug on this after what they’ve done in golf, boxing, F1 etc.

tomaldinho1

All depends if they sustain it. I personally think in 5 years or so football will be very different and they will somehow have forced their way into the CL.

PL is actually very vulnerable if you look at it objectively, many European leagues are weak financially, the player drain takes time but it makes a real difference.

Gavinb33

It's going to be one of the stronger leagues in a few years. You are deluding yourself if you think they are going to stick to retirees and nothing players. It's a matter of time before the league is brought into UEFA proper.
I can't see how they could, UEFA brings FFP scrutiny and not one of these clubs could adhere to it not in 1000 years

Ish

Lights on for Luke
If the Fabinho deal goes through, that transfer fee alone is more than all the fees combined chelsea have received. We’re saving more on Koulibaly’s wages but Fabinho and Henderson put together is comparable to Koulibaly.

Mahrez’s £30M fee is roughly about the same as what Mendy and Koulibaly were sold for combined.
Yeah, i was thinking more around number of players/deadwood signed but you're spot on.

Hopefully we can shift more deadwood their way. Just getting rid of Telles and Bailly has arguably benefitted us the most of any clubs :lol: (i jest!).