Say what you will, THIS is a proper Manchester United moment

Sir Erik ten Hag

I know we haven't started this season well, and this victory over Brentford might just be 2 rare moments to paper over the cracks.

But let's look at the context. These have been dark weeks for the Manchester United crowd. And Fergie also lost his wife this week. Atmosphere and belief around Old Trafford leaves a lot to be desired. Yet this lad McTominay, being the outcast and a target of hatred from the fans (Also due to the move to West Ham collapsed), stepped up and delivered two Fergie time moments in a moment when even Fergie himself may need a bit of salvaging for this week.

McTominay is usually thought of as a product of sentimentality among the fans of modern football (Being from academy, praised by Fergie himself...etc). Today he delivered exactly that: Feelings and nostalgia, of a time when Manchester United was known for these kinds of moments.

We still have a lot of issues on and off the field. But THIS, today, was a proper Manchester United moment.

Flying high

I thought of Sir Alex when the 2nd went in. I don't know if he'd have been watching, but I hope it gives him a little something to smile about over the coming days.

Shark

@NotShark
Literally watched it on a dodgy stream on my phone with a friend at a pub that was behind. Was all worth it in the end :lol:

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Was working night shift. Shouted at the top of my voice when the second went in. Apparently I was on the faster river, because a few seconds later, my friends who were somewhere in the workshop did the same.

TheRedHearted

I know we haven't started this season well, and this victory over Brentford might just be 2 rare moments to paper over the cracks.

But let's look at the context. These have been dark weeks for the Manchester United crowd. And Fergie also lost his wife this week. Atmosphere and belief around Old Trafford leaves a lot to be desired. Yet this lad McTominay, being the outcast and a target of hatred from the fans (Also due to the move to West Ham collapsed), stepped up and delivered two Fergie time moments in a moment when even Fergie himself may need a bit of salvaging for this week.

McTominay is usually thought of as a product of sentimentality among the fans of modern football (Being from academy, praised by Fergie himself...etc). Today he delivered exactly that: Feelings and nostalgia, of a time when Manchester United was known for these kinds of moments.

We still have a lot of issues on and off the field. But THIS, today, was a proper Manchester United moment.

Holy cow he looked 25 at age 13 or whatever that is

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Certified United classic! Really poetic end to the game. A Scottish academy player, playing in an injury ravaged team, won us the game in Fergie time.

ROFLUTION

Nice picture. To think of how many talented players Fergie probably has knocked on the door of and how many players he has inspired to have good character like McTominay.

tomaldinho1

Forget total football. Give me siege the box football.

I want to see Amrabat and Eriksen as a pívot and McT as a 10. Crosses go in from the full backs who overlap, crosses go in from the midfielders, we shoot on sight and forget the idea of playing through the middle - we hit the Danish unit or the Flying Scotsman and play off them.

kaku06

In a Week where Sir Alex loses his partner Lady Cathy, this happened — it’s 87th minute and United losing 1-0 then an academy player since the age of 6, a Scotsman nonetheless, comes off the bench and scores 2 goals in Fergie time to give United a 2-1 victory at old Trafford.

Try to tell me some things are just not written.

Maticmaker

That's why it's called the 'theatre of dreams'... exactly moments like that!

Sir Erik ten Hag

Last time we faced Brentford, this happened. Bumping this in hope of a good result this weekend.