Scholes, Gerrard, Lampard debate.

stevoc

Yeah a Hargreaves or Carrick in there would work but you’d still be missing out some width trying to shoehorn both Gerrard and Lampard into the same team, or you’ll lack serious balance in midfield, as was often the case during that period for the NT.
Yeah Gerrard and Lampard never worked together. You'd lose a bit of width with Stevie Me out wide, but I seem to remember he did have one of his most productive seasons out there.

Personally much like Lampard I don't think Gerrard was best in central midfield. Gerrard at his bast was when he played behind Torres.

glaspalast

Supports
Crystal Palace
No thats just because Liverpool needed him the most there.

as per modern fashion, Gerrard was an 8, Scholes and Lampard were 10s, what England needed was a good 6 to complement them.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
2001-2003 were my first few years as proper United supporters i still remember those years just like yesterday :D
Lucky bugger! Albeit I those years were us tussling with Arsenal right? They were the “invincibles” a year later
Yeah Gerrard and Lampard never worked together. You'd lose a bit of width with Stevie Me out wide, but I seem to remember he did have one of his most productive seasons out there.

Personally much like Lampard I don't think Gerrard was best in central midfield. Gerrard at his bast was when he played behind Torres.
Yeah Gerrard at 10 with Scholes at 8 and a DM behind him was probably the way to go.

RMD83

Lucky bugger! Albeit I those years were us tussling with Arsenal right? They were the “invincibles” a year later

Yeah Gerrard at 10 with Scholes at 8 and a DM behind him was probably the way to go.
Yes Hargreaves’s or carrick with one of gerrard/lampard or scholes on the bench. It’s more a crying shame that carrick got less of a look in than what to do with those 3 I always felt.

garelo

Its funny how the type of player Gerrard was is being used to discredit him but the most valuable midfielder in the world today is Bellingham and he's in the mould of Gerrard.

He isn't a dictating midfielder, so what? Other people are there for that role like Alonso was.

Kevin De Bruyne is another player very similar to Gerrard. Not every midfielder had to be like Xavi, Scholes or Modric to be top class.

Like Scholes said they could both do things the other couldn't. While Scholes could dictate a game way better, Gerrard's through balls were far better. He was a better athlete and could also take set pieces.

I think they're about even just depends on what style you prefer.
All-action midfielders like Gerrard, Lampard, and (now) Bellingham are always more popular to average supporters and pundits because they're pleasant to watch but make no mistake Real Madrid recent success came on the back of Modric and Kroos, 2 midfield generals who are more similar to Scholes than Gerrard or Lampard, let's wait if Bellingham can replicate even half of their success. KDB isnt much similar to Gerrard, he was more like Iniesta. KDB can operate deep in his own half dictating the game.

Oh boy that rivalvy with arsenal was something else, so intense on and off the pitch with no fake courtesy between SAF and Wenger either. I still remember what SAF said about Arsene at that time, "He speaks 5 languages? i have a kid from Africa who can speak 5 languages!" Then Arsene came back with petty remark, "everyone think they have the prettiest wife at home", both of them would get slaughtered by media today :lol:

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Memory’s probably shot my side, but I hardly ever recall Scholes playing LM - especially in his older day!
He was sometimes shunted out left during the Keane-Veron days and sometimes put in amazing performances on the wing, drifting inside frequently. He also played an advanced AM role when Beckham and Giggs were fit on the wings, but sometimes Solskjaer on a wing in 2002-03 when they went more 4-2-3-1 style. There were plenty of tactical changes when Veron arrived, trying to fit him into a set style and midfield quintet (including Butt).

An example of Scholes on the left wing - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/1732374.stm
--With Ryan Giggs out with a hamstring strain, Nicky Butt, Roy Keane, Juan Veron and Scholes made up a midfield that lacked width. But the ploy worked. The home side outplayed their visitors in the middle of the park and created the better chances.--

From the goal videos below, it appears to be more a 4-3-3 vice 4-4-2 with Scholes and Solskjaer in interchangeable free roles and Veron tucking more right-central for Keane to do his normal box-to-box. Butt covered the left and appears a ton of overlapping from Phil and Mickey on the wings.

This is more an example of him on the left creating havoc - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/1722633.stm
-- The Dutchman was alert as Southampton defenders froze to Paul Scholes' diagonal cross-field ball from the left, dragging the ball down to fire a right-foot shot across goalkeeper Paul Jones. --

Look at this longball from the left wing for the opening goal. Amazing touch and delivery, fantastic first touch by Ruud. The fifth goal, Giggs has subbed on for Solskjaer and is playing central, possibly interchanging with Scholes.

Last edited:

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Oh boy that rivalvy with arsenal was something else, so intense on and off the pitch with no fake courtesy between SAF and Wenger either. I still remember what SAF said about Arsene at that time, "He speaks 5 languages? i have a kid from Africa who can speak 5 languages!" Then Arsene came back with petty remark, "everyone think they have the prettiest wife at home", both of them would get slaughtered by media today :lol:
Yeah those were absolutely immense. Nothing in this day compares . Pity wenger sort of dropped off a little in the latter years as SAF started having to contend with abramovich money and later, city.

He was sometimes shunted out left during the Keane-Veron days and sometimes put in amazing performances on the wing, drifting inside frequently. He also played an advanced AM role when Beckham and Giggs were fit on the wings, but sometimes Solskjaer on a wing in 2002-03 when they went more 4-2-3-1 style. There were plenty of tactical changes when Veron arrived, trying to fit him into a set style and midfield quintet (including Butt).

An example of Scholes on the left wing - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/1732374.stm
--With Ryan Giggs out with a hamstring strain, Nicky Butt, Roy Keane, Juan Veron and Scholes made up a midfield that lacked width. But the ploy worked. The home side outplayed their visitors in the middle of the park and created the better chances.--

From the goal videos below, it appears to be more a 4-3-3 vice 4-4-2 with Scholes and Solskjaer in interchangeable free roles and Veron tucking more right-central for Keane to do his normal box-to-box. Butt covered the left and appears a ton of overlapping from Phil and Mickey on the wings.

This is more an example of him on the left creating havoc - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/1722633.stm
-- The Dutchman was alert as Southampton defenders froze to Paul Scholes' diagonal cross-field ball from the left, dragging the ball down to fire a right-foot shot across goalkeeper Paul Jones. --

Look at this longball from the left wing for the opening goal. Amazing touch and delivery, fantastic first touch by Ruud. The fifth goal, Giggs has subbed on for Solskjaer and is playing central, possibly interchanging with Scholes.
Thanks for that detailed post bud. Good post and my oh my, the nostalgia from watching those older matches :(

Lyng

Xavi said the same as Pep. Shouldnt really be a debate by now. Of course its Scholes.

El Jefe

All-action midfielders like Gerrard, Lampard, and (now) Bellingham are always more popular to average supporters and pundits because they're pleasant to watch but make no mistake Real Madrid recent success came on the back of Modric and Kroos, 2 midfield generals who are more similar to Scholes than Gerrard or Lampard, let's wait if Bellingham can replicate even half of their success. KDB isnt much similar to Gerrard, he was more like Iniesta. KDB can operate deep in his own half dictating the game.
I think most football fans can recognise a good player when you’re at that level. Fabregas at 17 broke through at Arsenal and the media went crazy about his performances and he was a Xavi like midfielder back then.

I disagree on the bolded, other than being able to drive with the ball there aren’t many similarities. Just look at KDB’s pass completion numbers he’s not a conducting midfielder but he has a role in Pep’s team where his style has been catered for. His assist and goal numbers are more in line with Gerrard and Lampard. Look at how he plays for Belgium and you quickly see it’s Pep’s system that gives the illusion than he can control games to that level. I have no doubt if Gerrard played for a better side under a better manager his hero instincts would have been tamed and he’d fit perfectly in winning teams.

I think it’s also a myth that Gerrard couldn’t control games. He absolutely did and could he just didn’t do it consistently enough and it was a waste of his talent. Just like Yaya Toure he too could control games but it didn’t always make sense to limit him to that.

ScholesyTheWise

I wrote some stuff about Gerrard being severely underrated around here, only to realize that @El Jefe summed it up really nicely.

Scholes is the best CM of the 3 and the only DLP, while being the worst #10.

Is Kroos better than Modric? Xavi than Iniesta?
depends on what kind of team you want to build.

Last edited:

fps

They were all great players in their own rights, look at what they did at the club level.. No United, Liverpool or Chelsea supporter is going to give you an unbiased opinion on who was better, you would probably get a fairer opinion from a neutral. The issues with these three involves their England career. Various managers have tried to shoestring all three and after Scholes retired from International duty, the two into the line up at the same time. England maybe have faired better if only two were picked for England, with one starting and the other used as an impact sub. Ask a neutral which of the three started, sat on the bench or stayed home.
I reckon Scholes and Lampard could have co-existed in an England midfield, with a third player in there as DM. Gerrard had no positional discipline and when he tried to play with any he looked hamstrung. You either have him a free role and no Lampard or Scholes as you needed other more defensively diligent players, or use him as an impact sub IMO.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I have read a few times now that after Xavi, Pep and Co praised Scholes he got more attention. Well, no.
Personally I rate Beckham of late 90s/early 00s even more highly than Scholes of late 90s/early 00s, however already around early 00s, Moratti and leading (Italian) coaches as well as Europe’s top midfielders were openly discussing Scholes and describing him as the best English player and one of the best midfielders of his generation. Inter tried to buy him, most of us know that Scholes told Moratti if he wants him to play for him, he would need to buy United (and Moratti told this everyone, not Scholes).
And SAF also told us around that time that every time he meets European coaches they all tell him how much they like Scholes. So he was always rated very highly outside England whereas in England by a lot (mainly media and fans) Beckham and Gerrard were rated more highly. Not sure about Lampard. There was also a time when Lampard was properly (and unfairly) disliked by England fans (who were not Chelsea fans).

Stacks

I have read a few times now that after Xavi, Pep and Co praised Scholes he got more attention. Well, no.
Personally I rate Beckham of late 90s/early 00s even more highly than Scholes of late 90s/early 00s, however already around early 00s, Moratti and leading (Italian) coaches as well as Europe’s top midfielders were openly discussing Scholes and describing him as the best English player and one of the best midfielders of his generation. Inter tried to buy him, most of us know that Scholes told Moratti if he wants him to play for him, he would need to buy United (and Moratti told this everyone, not Scholes).
And SAF also told us around that time that every time he meets European coaches they all tell him how much they like Scholes. So he was always rated very highly outside England whereas in England by a lot (mainly media and fans) Beckham and Gerrard were rated more highly. Not sure about Lampard. There was also a time when Lampard was properly (and unfairly) disliked by England fans (who were not Chelsea fans).
Gerrard was rated highly outside England what you on about? so was Lampard. for them to get nominated for Balon D'or and World player of the year, these are voted by foreign coaches and captains etc.

https://www.sportbible.com/football...ers-show-how-good-steven-gerrard-was-20200601

https://www.planetfootball.com/quic...rd would be the,, he's a sensational player.”

Sir Alex Ferguson
“If you were looking for the player you would replace Keane with, it would be Gerrard, without question. He has become the most influential player in England, bar none. More than Vieira. Not that Vieira lacks anything, but I think that Gerrard does more for his team than Vieira does, and has way more to his game.

“I’ve watched him quite a lot. To me, Gerrard is Keane. Everywhere the ball is, he seems to be there. He’s got that unbelievable engine, desire, determination. Anyone would love to have Gerrard in their team.”

united_99

Gerrard was rated highly outside England what you on about? so was Lampard. for them to get nominated for Balon D'or and World player of the year, these are voted by foreign coaches and captains etc.

https://www.sportbible.com/football...ers-show-how-good-steven-gerrard-was-20200601

https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/23-best-quotes-steven-gerrard-one-fairytales#:~:text=“Steven Gerrard would be the,, he's a sensational player.”

Sir Alex Ferguson
“If you were looking for the player you would replace Keane with, it would be Gerrard, without question. He has become the most influential player in England, bar none. More than Vieira. Not that Vieira lacks anything, but I think that Gerrard does more for his team than Vieira does, and has way more to his game.

“I’ve watched him quite a lot. To me, Gerrard is Keane. Everywhere the ball is, he seems to be there. He’s got that unbelievable engine, desire, determination. Anyone would love to have Gerrard in their team.”
Don’t know how this contradicts anything I said. I didn’t say they weren’t rated in England or abroad. Just that Scholes was rated already in the early 00s even more highly abroad and the others more highly in England. Also Beckham for example came 2nd in World Player of the year twice and was in the top 10 five seasons in a row, whereas Scholes wasn’t. Still you will find a lot of quotes from those days from top players and football people calling Scholes the best English player. That doesn’t mean that they didn’t rate Beckham or other English players. And Balon D’or isn’t voted by every (top) player, just by captain and coach. So while it definitely reflects how certain seasons of individual players went, it’s not the be all end all of discussions and can also be very focused on a couple of memorable goals or moments.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Its funny how the type of player Gerrard was is being used to discredit him but the most valuable midfielder in the world today is Bellingham and he's in the mould of Gerrard.

He isn't a dictating midfielder, so what? Other people are there for that role like Alonso was.

Kevin De Bruyne is another player very similar to Gerrard. Not every midfielder had to be like Xavi, Scholes or Modric to be top class.

Like Scholes said they could both do things the other couldn't. While Scholes could dictate a game way better, Gerrard's through balls were far better. He was a better athlete and could also take set pieces.

I think they're about even just depends on what style you prefer.
The issue is that Gerrard spent most of his career basically trying to play as a 'dictating midfielder' as you put it, and being very inconsistent at it. It was obvious he should have been getting played like Bellingham is at Real but for most of the time he wasn't. It's what makes it quite hard to rate him. In terms of his actual performances on a consistent level he's significantly behind both Scholes and Lampard, but at his best he's right up there and a fairly strong argument could be had that he could have been the best.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
No thats just because Liverpool needed him the most there.

as per modern fashion, Gerrard was an 8, Scholes and Lampard were 10s, what England needed was a good 6 to complement them.
Scholes a #10?

From memory he only played that position when he first broke into the team and then later one season behind Ruud. Otherwise the first half of his career he did play as quite an attacking #8 in the same was as Gerrard, but he then spent the second half of his career sitting back and became one of the best deep-lying playmakers in the world.

Scholes significant change of style after his eye problem in 2006 probably does complicate this comparison, as I think some people are talking about the earlier version while others (probably the majority) are talking about the later version.

Hoof the ball

https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/23-best-quotes-steven-gerrard-one-fairytales#:~:text=“Steven Gerrard would be the,, he's a sensational player.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Also Sir Alex Ferguson

Despite all of Gerrard's achievements, Manchester United legend Sir Alex Ferguson caused a stir in his controversial 2013 autobiography by writing: “I'm one of the few who felt Gerrard was not a top, top player.”

united_99

Also Sir Alex Ferguson

Despite all of Gerrard's achievements, Manchester United legend Sir Alex Ferguson caused a stir in his controversial 2013 autobiography by writing: “I'm one of the few who felt Gerrard was not a top, top player.”
Yeah Fergie was one of the biggest WUMs ever.

united_99

He was right though. Remember Italy playing England in 2012 and Pirlo absolutely ran that midfield, Gerrard couldn't get near him.
I am just generally commenting that half of the stuff Fergie said people shouldn’t take seriously. He himself didn’t.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
He was right though. Remember Italy playing England in 2012 and Pirlo absolutely ran that midfield, Gerrard couldn't get near him.
In the same book Fergie also said he tried to sign Gerrard and never understood why Liverpool didn't play him there more often...

Players and managers say so much about other players they end up contradicting themselves.

Bwuk

I today's game Gerrard would be the second CM and Scholes would be ACM. I base that on nothing but my gut feeling.
It'd be the other way around. Scholes was far better from deep than Gerrard, and Gerrard had far more athletic ability to get about the pitch.

Stacks

Don’t know how this contradicts anything I said. I didn’t say they weren’t rated in England or abroad. Just that Scholes was rated already in the early 00s even more highly abroad and the others more highly in England. Also Beckham for example came 2nd in World Player of the year twice and was in the top 10 five seasons in a row, whereas Scholes wasn’t. Still you will find a lot of quotes from those days from top players and football people calling Scholes the best English player. That doesn’t mean that they didn’t rate Beckham or other English players. And Balon D’or isn’t voted by every (top) player, just by captain and coach. So while it definitely reflects how certain seasons of individual players went, it’s not the be all end all of discussions and can also be very focused on a couple of memorable goals or moments.
some of those quotes called Gerrard best ever English player, best in the world and compared him to Messi/Ronaldo so his peak must have been higher than Scholes since they putting him up there with the best in the world

Stacks

Also Sir Alex Ferguson

he was player hating. Have you seen his United World Class list? Its cap

Irwin99

Lampard always annoyed me a lot when we faced Chelski. Gerrard was.. meh.

Scholes are way above those two at his peak though. Basically a one man midfield.
He was annoying for me in the sense you thought you had him marked out of the game and he could be fairly anonymous-especially compared to Scholes dictating the play or Gerrard's sheer power- and then he'd score or assist out of nothing. His ghosting into the box and being in the right place at the right time was infuriating (CL final goal for instance, the good fortune of that goal or the assist for Drogba in the FA cup final of 2007 :mad: ). Great player, terrific workrate too.

Keane and Vieria will always be the best though :cool: