Scorer of most goals you've seen live?

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Got really bored and started looking back through our results over the years to try and work out who I'd seen score the most goals in the flesh.

Van Persie is top with 10
Rooney is on 9
Chicharito is on 8
Ronaldo on 6
Carrick surprisingly on 5

I think opposition is sadly Gerrard having seen him score twice against us at Anfield.

Most in one match is Tevez with four against Blackburn in the League Cup in 2008/09 and then both Ruud and RVP with a hat-trick each. Ruud scored his in my first ever game against Fulham in 2002-03.

Biggest result live is the 7-1 against Roma. They've only ever lost once when I saw them and that was away against Chelsea in the League Cup in 2012/13 - 5-4 in extra time in a mad game.

It felt like I went to most home games in 2012/13 which tallies with RVP scoring the most when going back through but I think I just remember being lucky enough to be going more in general and it wasn't that many, unless I'm forgetting a few I actually went to. Haven't seen a first team game since we won the title back then with Van Persie's hat-trick then though.

What about you lot? Obviously for those who go a lot more regularly it'll probably be harder/more time consuming to do and for those of a non-United persuasion it'd be interesting to see.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Nani seemed to score every time I went to OT back in the day :lol:

MTF

I've only been able to watch see United live 3 times, and I checked that no one scored a double in any of those matches. So all I have is a list of single goalscorers that goes: Butt, Hernandez, Nani, Valencia, Mkhitaryan, Lukaku, and Martial.

Player in any team I've probably seen score most live was Sebastian 'El Loco' Abreu when he played 2 seasons for Botafogo, as I used to go to their matches at the time.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Lee Chapman for Leeds probably.
Stopped going as much post 2000 but Viduka's 4 vs Liverpool is the most I've seen a player score in one game.
John Barnes' electric hat trick at Elland Road is the most I've seen an opponent score in a game - at least in a game I haven't expunged from the memory bank. One of the best games of football I've ever seen live that one. Barnes received an ovation for his third - not exactly something you'd expect from Leeds fans.

Edit: Just gone back and checked - Barnes only scored 2 that day, I've literally always thought he scored 3. It was actually Chapman who scored a hat trick for us (we still lost 5-4).

Last edited:

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
It has to be Ruud for me. I know without checking as he once went 6 games in a row scoring in my presence. Next is probably Rooney, I was there when he scored that goal against Newcastle. I’ll never forget that goal.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Unsurprisingly it's sir Lampard for me. The most recent one I can remember was at Goodison Park and we were 1-0 down before I'd even got to my seat. Lampard's brace won us the game.

Paul_Scholes18

I have only seen us 3 times at Old Trafford and one pre season friendly. 1 win, 1 draw, 1 defeat.

Mata scored against and for us when I watched at different times. Sadly I was one game away from us getting the title win and one game before SAF decided to quit.
Man United vs Chelsea did feel like potentially the winner for us when I decided to go had not City dropped points against Spurs. At least I can say I watched SAF get beaten his last time for us.

Scholes never played when I watched sadly at Old Trafford, but did in the friendly.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
It's a good thing that you've put this in the Football Forum and not the United one.

Most goals scored for Toronto FC (top 5):
  1. Sebastian Giovinco: 36
  2. Jozy Altidore: 32
  3. Jonathan Osorio: 20
  4. Victor Vazquez: 12
  5. Alejandro Pozuelo/Justin Morrow/Jordan Hamilton: 10
Notable goalscorers (Toronto FC):
  • Sebastian Giovinco
  • Jozy Altidore
  • Victor Vazquez
  • Alejandro Pozuelo
  • Michael Bradley
  • Benoit Cheyrou
Canadian national team goalscorers :
  1. Junior Hoilett: 4
  2. Jonathan David: 2
  3. Lucas Cavallini: 2
  4. Jonathan Osorio: 2
  5. Cyle Larin/Alphonso Davies/Atiba Hutchinson/Doneil Henry/Own Goal: 1
In terms of the notable opposition goalscorers:
  • Didier Drogba
  • Zlatan Ibrahimovic
  • Bastian Schweinsteiger
  • Kaká
  • David Villa
  • Bojan Krkic
  • Carlos Vela
  • Eduardo Vargas
  • Marco Donadel
  • Jermain Defoe
  • Carles Gil

EDIT: I forgot about the one United pre-season match that I watched in Toronto. That means that I got to watch Berbatov, Cleverley and Welbeck score for us, whilst I watched Georgios Samaras score for Celtic.

Last edited:

Minkaro

Romelu Lukaku based entirely on his hat trick in the 5-5.

For United I think is Solskjaer or Fortune. Remember one or both of them scoring multiple in a random friendly.

Last edited:

Gavinb33

I've had my ST since 2010 so probably Rooney by quite a distance I would have thought

Most in one match Rooney vs Hull with 4

Valencia scored one of the best goals I've seen live against Everton a fee years back, Rooney overhead kick or Van Persie volley against Villa

Oppo maybe Gerrard or Aguero

youngrell

Not entirely sure but I would guess at Ruud, having seen him stick away a hat trick once among other goals. Rooney probably a close second.

For Wales, almost certainly Bale.

matherto

That’s a wild stat!
Really is, he only scored 24 for us in total (more than I thought) so roughly a fifth of his goals I saw.

Was one of my favourite players so maybe he just turned on the style for me, especially in the 7-1 with two peaches.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
2 pre-season games:
Obertan (don't remember much else about this one)
Lingard (Martial provided the assist)

1 actual (against Watford):
Fernandes
Martial
Greenwood

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
I have only seen United live once (away to Partizan), so the United top scorer in the games I saw live was Martial, who scored their only goal in what was a 1:0 win in Belgrade.

Overall, I watch our national team live quite a lot, so it is easily Mitrovic.

Gandalf

Before moving to the states I spent most of my life in Cardiff so I am pretty sure for me the answer is Nathan Blake. I did play in the same school team as Brighton legend Kurt Nogan so I saw him score shitloads of goals but none as a professional.

matherto

Forgot I went to Porto at home in 2009 so Rooney level with RVP on 10 and Tevez level with Carrick on 5.

Judas

Open to offers
Rooney I'm guessing just logically.

Berbatov scored 5 in that game against Blackburn didn't he? So him. If it was only 4 it would be tied between him and when Rooney scored 4 against Hull. The atmosphere for that game was mental I seem to remember, proper Green & Gold day.

Raw

Definitely Rooney. Seen him score plenty, plus I was at the game where Rooney scored 4 v Hull so that adds a bunch ahead of everyone else.

Alejandro Angel

Got really bored and started looking back through our results over the years to try and work out who I'd seen score the most goals in the flesh.

Van Persie is top with 10
Rooney is on 9
Chicharito is on 8
Ronaldo on 6
Carrick surprisingly on 5

I think opposition is sadly Gerrard having seen him score twice against us at Anfield.

Most in one match is Tevez with four against Blackburn in the League Cup in 2008/09 and then both Ruud and RVP with a hat-trick each. Ruud scored his in my first ever game against Fulham in 2002-03.

Biggest result live is the 7-1 against Roma. They've only ever lost once when I saw them and that was away against Chelsea in the League Cup in 2012/13 - 5-4 in extra time in a mad game.

It felt like I went to most home games in 2012/13 which tallies with RVP scoring the most when going back through but I think I just remember being lucky enough to be going more in general and it wasn't that many, unless I'm forgetting a few I actually went to. Haven't seen a first team game since we won the title back then with Van Persie's hat-trick then though.

What about you lot? Obviously for those who go a lot more regularly it'll probably be harder/more time consuming to do and for those of a non-United persuasion it'd be interesting to see.
I haven't been to many games first was Newcastle at Old Trafford but was scoreless draw. I then was very lucky got to see the 1-8 match at the City ground Nottingham Forrest was in the home section so had to not celebrate too much but was lucky to see Ole score 4 and then another in the Arsenal defeat at Old Trafford 6-1 but Dwight scored three in that match and 2 against Nottingham Forrest so both had 5.
I have also seen a bloody Danny Murphy winner at Old Trafford. So mostly good results
Then several friendlies I'm Dublin but not counting them.
I also got to Oles testimonial.

Chabon

Rooney, obviously, for the first question.

As for players scoring against us, it’s a three way tie between footballing legends Darren Bent, Craig Bellamy, and Simon Donelly. All on two each.

MU655

I would probably say Ronaldo as that is the period I used to have a season ticket.

Last time I went to OT, we beat Arsenal 8-2. Rooney will probably be second.