Scott McTominay | Transfer discussion not performance discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kag

McT is brilliant at protecting the back 4 in a team that is parking the bus - because he wins so many headers. He would do really well at West Ham
McTominay is positionally horrendous. He spends more time fouling players than actually winning back the ball.

He doesn’t protect the back 4 at all, and we should be accepting any bid around the £30 million mark and thanking our lucky stars.

Silas

Mctominay is the most natural replacement for Rice in terms of style of play, he may not be as calm or as good on the ball in terms of calmness and passing ability but the way he dispossesses opposing players and can drive the ball forward is very similar to Rice.

Mctominay is easily worth 40m, a midfield 3 of Alvarez/Mctominay/Paqueta is a very good midfield and comparable to the Fred/Mctominay/Bruno midfield that finished 2nd in the league (Mctominays best season for us).

Would be a worry for West Ham if they lose Paqueta though...
He's nowhere near as good defensively. Pretty awful at tracking his man and regularly hides from the ball, so we don't see those driving runs all too often.

I know we want a good deal, but we don't need to convince ourselves he's a good player.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Even if for a moment we assume that being great at headers is enough to claim that a player is brilliant at protecting the back 4, McTominay is not great at winning headers. His aerial duel win rate last season was 59.6%, his all time EPL aerial win rate is 60.6%. We played as deep as you can get during these years.

For comparison, Casemiro who is genuinely great at protecting the back 4, has a win rate of 65% while still adopting to the league.
Good thing we aren’t trying to sell him to a club full of 5 time champions league winners who expect him to perform like one of the best players of his generation in that position then?

Thats the reason ‘we’re’ selling him. But it doesn’t mean he isn’t worth at least £40m to a club who’ve never consistently finished as high as even terrible, crisis laden banter-era Man Utd…

This idea that every player not good enough for United is some shambolic liability we just need to fire into the moon is exactly why we can never sell anyone for proper money.

Last edited:

Big Ray

McTominay is positionally horrendous. He spends more time fouling players than actually winning back the ball.

He doesn’t protect the back 4 at all, and we should be accepting any bid around the £30 million mark and thanking our lucky stars.
This. We seem to be in the zone this transfer window with a determination to upgrade the squad like RR said we needed to, so I hope we haven’t ballsed up this transfer by trying to play hardball with West Ham for a pretty average PL footballer.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He's nowhere near as good defensively. Pretty awful at tracking his man and regularly hides from the ball, so we don't see those driving runs all too often.

I know we want a good deal, but we don't need to convince ourselves he's a good player.
We don't need to convince ourselves... The fact that he has well over 200 appearance for Manchester United would prove he's a good player.

Revan

Assumptionman
Good thing we aren’t trying to sell him to a club full of 5 time champions league winners who expect him to perform like one of the best players of his generation in that position then?

Thats the reason ‘we’re’ selling him. But it doesn’t mean he isn’t worth at least £40m to a club who’ve never consistently finished as high as even terrible, crisis laden banter-era Man Utd…
That was just a comparison that he is not that great at aerial duels, despite that being his only defensive strength. So he is definitely not great at protecting his back 4. He is an ok box-to-box midfielder, and I think he will play well for West Ham, to be fair.

I am not sure any club will pay £40m for him. If West Ham does, great for us, but if we insist in a price that no one is willing to pay, then that is really us being stupid. He is not an important part of our squad, if we sign Amrabat he will rarely play. He is an ok player but definitely not good enough for a team that aspires to win the title, not even as a squad player. And in terms of FFP, he is our biggest asset considering that he cost 0, so even 35m for him means that we can sign players worth 175m amortized over 5 years. Essentially, if they sign a better play (say JWP) for that money, we lose the chance to sell him, which can be very damaging long-term, especially with regards to FFP.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Well West Ham have agreed a deal for JWP
now so in all likelihood that door is closed to us. Got greedy.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Paqueta might be leaving but then I just read they have signed Alvarez.

massey

Exactly that he's not a defensive midfielder only in name,his best position is attacking and he isn't Infront of Fernandes/mount now so will only be effective off the bench and is wasting his career the move makes sense.

Siorac

Some absolute bedwetters here. Just cos you want rid of an unglamorous player doesn’t mean we should give him away. Both McTom and Maguire would be excellent players for teams outside, or battling to break into the Top 6 - A position United have never fallen below even at the height of our “crisis” btw. Both of these players finished 3rd twice and 2nd, and we aren’t selling them to clubs aiming that high…

Just because they’ve been ‘flops’ for Man United, whose unreasonably large profile makes anyone into a joke if they don’t succeed (making it consequentially much harder to sell than if they’d performed to exactly the same standard under less of a microscope, or at the kind of club who’d actually benefit from their signings) doesn’t mean we should just flog them for peanuts at the first chance we get. Not every clubs ambition is to win the league. Or is a laughing stock when they just miss out on top 4. McTominey is absolutely worth £40m to a club fighting for a top half finish, and in a world where Rice is worth £100m, probably more. We should absolutely hold out for his worth
I see you've successfully purged the Moyes season from your memory.

Pricing McTominay - who is more or less useless for our ambitions - out of a move based on some sort of vague principle of "holding out for his worth" would be a mistake. He's worth what other clubs are willing to pay and so far it looks like they're unwilling to pay more than 30m.

Fahad Jawaid

I think he is a good squad player and not somebody we are desperate to offload which is the case with Fred, VDB and Maguire. Consequently, the price we are demanding is higher and I think that is why Westham will come with another bid of 35+m. Plus with now Maguire looking like a goner. It would allow us some room to operate and we can choose reject offers we feel are not up to our valuation.

Anything above 35m + should be accepted I feel.

Red00012

McT is brilliant at protecting the back 4 in a team that is parking the bus - because he wins so many headers. He would do really well at West Ham
He’s brilliant at protecting the back 4 because he can head the ball isn’t going to cut it :lol:

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
They're signing Alvarez and Ward-Prowse, so can't see them going back for McTominay.

Hopefully someone else takes a punt this month - Newcastle, Everton etc.

OverratedOpinion

Some absolute bedwetters here. Just cos you want rid of an unglamorous player doesn’t mean we should give him away. Both McTom and Maguire would be excellent players for teams outside, or battling to break into the Top 6 - A position United have never fallen below even at the height of our “crisis” btw. Both of these players finished 3rd twice and 2nd, and we aren’t selling them to clubs aiming that high…

Just because they’ve been ‘flops’ for Man United, whose unreasonably large profile makes anyone into a joke if they don’t succeed (making it consequentially much harder to sell than if they’d performed to exactly the same standard under less of a microscope, or at the kind of club who’d actually benefit from their signings) doesn’t mean we should just flog them for peanuts at the first chance we get. Not every clubs ambition is to win the league. Or is a laughing stock when they just miss out on top 4. McTominey is absolutely worth £40m to a club fighting for a top half finish, and in a world where Rice is worth £100m, probably more. We should absolutely hold out for his worth
Is it that people who disagree with you are "absolute bedwetters" or do they just disagree with you about his valuation?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Not if Paqueta is leaving for City, they will need another midfielder.
Paqueta might be leaving but then I just read they have signed Alvarez.
Who knows with City going for Paquetta
If they have any common sense at all, they would not be trying to replace Lucas Paqueta with Scott McfeckingTominay. With 80m for Paqueta, I’d expect they would go for a different profile of midfielder.

Common sense tells me that with Alvarez signed as a pure DM, Scott and JWP were then options for the next midfield role just ahead of him, going up and down the pitch. They have done a deal for one, I can’t see them also buying Scott. Hopefully Newcastle do.

Chairman Steve

McTominay staying wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world providing Amrabat comes in. McTominays much better at being a box to box midfielder who leans more at attacking. I can’t imagine he’ll be playing much though with Mount and Bruno taking up those roles.

McT should not be a Casemiro alternative for us, because he’s not that good at the role aside from a one-off game. It should be Amrabat.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
If they have any common sense at all, they would not be trying to replace Lucas Paqueta with Scott McfeckingTominay. With 80m for Paqueta, I’d expect they would go for a different profile of midfielder.

Common sense tells me that with Alvarez signed as a pure DM, Scott and JWP were then options for the next midfield role just ahead of him, going up and down the pitch. They have done a deal for one, I can’t see them also buying Scott. Hopefully Newcastle do.
Depends on availability.

Roboc7

We may have overplayed our hand but Paquetá is surely going to want to go to City so hopefully they still want Mctominay.

I can’t see any other team offering more than what West Ham have done and I think be waste for Mctominay to spend a season hardly playing other than cameos off the bench which will be the case if Amrabat comes in.

El Zoido

Not really, we don’t need to get rid. He’s a reasonable squad player and not on a massive salary (£60k pw), and Fred is leaving as well. We set a higher price because we don’t need to sell.

L1nk

Surely means the end of McTominay pursuit. Oh well, we’ll barely use him next year and keep running his value down till he’s worth pennies or he leaves on a free then. Every good decision followed by a bad decision from the club

OverratedOpinion

Who knows, I can't speak to West Ham's transfer policy. The West Ham fans I've listened to don't seem to think there is much common sense involved in it at all this summer.

Do I reckon Moyes signing McTominay is a possibility if they lose Paquetta? Yes personally, I reckon it's something he would do.

This is the man who thought Fellaini would run Manchester United's midfield.

crossy1686

career ending

It's Moyes we're talking about. He thinks you win games by winning your duels, out running and out fighting the other team. He doesn't care for creativity. He'd love a midfield of Soucek, McTomminay and JWP.

prateik

Surely means the end of McTominay pursuit. Oh well, we’ll barely use him next year and keep running his value down till he’s worth pennies or he leaves on a free then. Every good decision followed by a bad decision from the club
Apparently selling Paqueta .. so might need another midfielder..

If they are picking JWP over McT, even if he is a few million cheaper, they are mental..

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands

I'm happier having McTominay as a squad member than Maguire - especially if Fred is sold and is replaced.

FromTheBench

Not really, we don’t need to get rid. He’s a reasonable squad player and not on a massive salary (£60k pw), and Fred is leaving as well. We set a higher price because we don’t need to sell.
And he's still young and british. Can get a good fee even next season.

edgecutter

We should have sold him to Newcastle in January. Mental that we turned down 40 million for him and he rarely played the second half of the season.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!

Exactly. He's nowhere near the starting eleven especially when Amrabat comes in for Fred/Donny.

We won't have games against crap opposition in the Europa League this year either, which means even less playing time for him.

We'd be lucky to get 15 million next summer.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We set a price because we want to sell. Despite any public posturing that we may be attempting. I’ve seen several United players that we don’t wish to sell. This one is clearly available for a certain price, and not even the most prohibitive price in the world either.

If Manchester United genuinely ‘didn’t want to sell’ Scott McTominay there is no chance West Ham United of all fecking clubs would be trying to buy one of our unavailable guys.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I'm glad we stuck out for >£40m. We cane the club for selling cheaply, and when we have a player who could easily command a fee of £40m, we criticize them for going too high.

I still think he'll leave anyway - for the sum we want.

Revan

Assumptionman

A midfield three of Alvarez (as DM), McTominay as box to box and JWP as their creative midfielder is ok. Short on creativity but that was never Moyes strong point. Definitely good enough defensively though, which plays to Moyes strength. With that midfield and a better defense (which Maguire will improve), they should ensure to not get relegated which is their main objective after losing their best player and possibly Paquetta.

Bear in mind, if they sell Paquetta for 70m, they should still have money left for another good signing. I wouldn’t mind giving them in an one year loan the one whose name must not be said.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It's Moyes we're talking about. He thinks you win games by winning your duels, out running and out fighting the other team. He doesn't care for creativity. He'd love a midfield of Soucek, McTomminay and JWP.
Yet this same Moyes that we speak of signed Paqueta in the first place. And this is also West Ham. They ALWAYS want one of ‘those’ players in their team. I suspect they will look for a similar profile. But hope you are correct.

the_cliff

McTominay staying wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world providing Amrabat comes in. McTominays much better at being a box to box midfielder who leans more at attacking. I can’t imagine he’ll be playing much though with Mount and Bruno taking up those roles.

McT should not be a Casemiro alternative for us, because he’s not that good at the role aside from a one-off game. It should be Amrabat.
ETH has only ever used Mctominay as an 8, never a 6. In fact when he comes on he's usually the one leading the press and playing very high up.

I'm not surprised we rejected 30m, I think ETH wants to keep him as an option and would only consider selling if we received a good enough offer. Contrary to what a lot of people say here he's a good player and offers something different. I'd rather keep Mctominay than Fred or DVB.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
He’ll go for £40m and he’ll do very good things at WH as an actual CM more focused on attacking than defending.

Paqueta going means WH will essentially have a wholly different midfield this season:

Alvarez-McTominay-Ward Prowse. Ultra Moyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.