Scott McTominay | Transfer discussion not performance discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
"If his name was Scotiano McTominez he'd be worth more etc etc"

Jokes aside, he's a very good player & young too. £40m is about right.
Keep seeing this.

Not that I think this is old, but he's 27 in December. In what world is that young for a player?

Rossa

Yep. The time that Fred had to race back from the other side of the field, past Scott, to win the ball back while Scott just jogged back really did sum it up to me. That lazy jogging back is quite a regular thing whenever the opposition get in behind him (AWB does it as well which also annoys me). For someone who's strength is supposed to be his work rate he simply can't be doing that.

I do think that is somewhat true, but it doesn't excuse the slow jog back that he's quite bad for. Those are the instances where he shouldn't have any doubt what he should be doing.
Agree with you completely. There's this talk about him being super athletic, but honestly although he looks the part, he's not consistently showing it. He shies away from physical duels, and the ones he does go into he often loses. His speed isn't anything to talk about, and he lazily jogs around the place. I'm sure he's fit as a fiddle, but he doesn't show it consistently. It's most likely a mental thing. Rashford actually suffers a little from it as well - there were several times where Ronaldo had to to Rashford's defensive work, and that makes no sense - your own player running past you because you don't bother to track back. Pogba did the same - athletic looking players that don't put in the effort.

Fred loses the ball a lot, but he sure as hell also wins it back because he never gives up. McTominay stops and jogs around.

Rossa

Keep seeing this.

Not that I think this is old, but he's 27 in December. In what world is that young for a player?
Well, I just read that 24 was a little too young for a centre back, so if they plan on playing him DM, he may just be coming of age?

This place is possessed with age - if a player aged 29 loses a foot race, they have lost a step. If he plays a bad game, he's on a decline. If he's 22, he's not old enough. What is the sweet spot? 25 years, 3 months and 17 days?

Cypriot

Keep seeing this.

26-30 is usually prime age for a footballer. You would imagine that he would have comfortably 6 years if not more at the top. He never looked out of place in our team, let's be honest. I think £40m is fair.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
£40m for Scott is a fair deal for all parties. WHU are picking up a very handy player and a player that will fit their team and profile for under £50m. Scotty will get good minutes and be able to grow as a player. And we're getting what is fair value for a fully fledged international and an academy player that has over 200 appearances for us.

Enigma_87

You know who
We just paid £72m for a kid who's scored a handful goals. Paid £55m for Mount with a year left on his contract. It's the market rate. Scott is worth £40m in a market like that. He's a much better player than people give him credit for.

Oh and they've got £105m from the Rice deal.
Erm, Mount was Chelsea player of the year twice in a row, CL winner 24 years old who is much better in every sense McT is.
The kid that scored handful of goals is one of the most promising strikers in Europe. Older Osimhen changed clubs, scoring only handful of goals in the French and Belgian league for 70m pounds couple of years ago, he's worth twice more now.

Rice is overpaid there I agree.
McT is bang average midfielder, who hides from the ball in possession and is definitely not top 4 quality. Looking at some of the other midfielders that went this Summer 30-35m is probably fair valuation for him.

If WH overpay at 40m or even 45m it's pure gravy, means they are desperate.

Siorac

He never looked out of place in our team, let's be honest.
He looked consistently poor in a series of uninspiring United teams. The only times he didn't look out of place was when everyone played terribly.

Cypriot

He looked consistently poor in a series of uninspiring United teams. The only times he didn't look out of place was when everyone played terribly.
You're entitled to your opinion, but let's talk facts. He was a regular player in one of the top 4 teams of the best league in the world, for several years. He's versatile, a good professional and only 27 years of age.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Happy with this aslong west ham don’t give up on the deal.

Enigma_87

You know who
You're entitled to your opinion, but let's talk facts. He was a regular player in one of the top 4 teams of the best league in the world, for several years. He's versatile, a good professional and only 27 years of age.
So is Harry Winks, who got sold to a Championship side for 9m pounds, same age.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Only time Winks played meaningful mins in league, Spurs finished 6th.

His league starts, 9,9,26,17,9. Finished 4th when he started 17 league games and 6th when he started 26 league games.

Baxquux

Winks is underpriced - his career went off the tracks under Jose, but he's a good short and medium passer when properly encouraged: much better at his peak in terms of playing vertical/lateral balls under pressure than most British midfielders. He has a similar issue to Scott in terms of letting runners pass him by, and he lost confidence in the last 2-3 years, but I'd 100% swap him for McT. Six months under ETH and he'd be a fine squad player.

Blood Mage

It’s mental to think that McTominay will be our most expensive sale ever from our academy. The previous highest was Beckham for £25m.

In fact what’s even crazier is Beckham is our 4th most expensive sale ever from all our transfers at only £25m. :nervous:
That's not taking inflation into account though. 25m back then was equivalent to over 80m today probably.

Enigma_87

You know who
I said one of the top 4 teams in the league...
Tbh in the last 10 years we finished top 4 half of the times, same as Spurs...
Only time Winks played meaningful mins in league, Spurs finished 6th.

His league starts, 9,9,26,17,9. Finished 4th when he started 17 league games and 6th when he started 26 league games.
Before his loan last year at Samp, he played minimum of 30 games in all comps for 4 years in a row for Spurs - 140 games. McT in the last 4 years 162 games..

roonster09

Scout
Before his loan last year at Samp, he played minimum of 30 games in all comps for 4 years in a row for Spurs - 140 games. McT in the last 4 years 162 games..
All games doesn't count for their league position, league games count for that.

Enigma_87

You know who
Not sure why that's relevant. We're talking about McTominay. And since he's been a regular in our side, the 19/20 season, we've finished 3rd, 2nd, 6th, 3rd. So not really.
You said top 4 team. United unfortunately does not have the right to claim that spot yet on regular basis. Last year we finished 3rd, yet he started 10 games and played 1150 minutes in total, so it's not like he was a regular either..

Red4Life_#7

In this current market McTominay is work £45-50m. West Ham have the money and can afford it, this is the first time we can set an example and not be robbed.
I'm really worried that McTominay will end up staying. If that 40-45m valuation is true... I can't see even Moyes paying that. No sane person would.
Papers quoted a sale of £38m for Beckham, then he went for only £25m which was cheap as chips as he was a world superstar at the time. The only saving grace was that we signed Cristiano Ronaldo for £12.75m the same summer.
It’s mental to think that McTominay will be our most expensive sale ever from our academy. The previous highest was Beckham for £25m.

In fact what’s even crazier is Beckham is our 4th most expensive sale ever from all our transfers at only £25m. :nervous:
Exactly... Mount was worth £40m we paid £60 inc add ons. £105m for Rice. McT is worth 55m if you're to compare, he has 2 + 1 years left on his contract. The least we should accept is 40m plus achievable add ons of £5-8m
We just paid £72m for a kid who's scored a handful goals. Paid £55m for Mount with a year left on his contract. It's the market rate. Scott is worth £40m in a market like that. He's a much better player than people give him credit for.

Oh and they've got £105m from the Rice deal.

Enigma_87

You know who
All games doesn't count for their league position, league games count for that.
It's a bit irrelevant as both can be classified as squad players so they will start some games in the league or in cups etc. McT started only 10 games in PL last season, similar to the 9 you showed in your example for Winks in one of the seasons. He barely featured in Europa League, yet featured a lot in the Carabao cup.

To me both are squad players at best and depending on availability they play more or not. Both are similar level and abilities..

Cypriot

You said top 4 team. United unfortunately does not have the right to claim that spot yet on regular basis. Last year we finished 3rd, yet he started 10 games and played 1150 minutes in total, so it's not like he was a regular either..
3 times out of the last 4 seasons? At least try to prove your point - but I'm guessing you're a WUM now.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Exactly... Mount was worth £40m we paid £60 inc add ons. £105m for Rice. McT is worth 55m if you're to compare, he has 2 + 1 years left on his contract. The least we should accept is 40m plus achievable add ons of £5-8m
How is Mount worth £40m while Scott is worth £55m? There's a lot more to a players worth than just how long is left on the contract. :lol:

roonster09

Scout
It's a bit irrelevant as both can be classified as squad players so they will start some games in the league or in cups etc. McT started only 10 games in PL last season, similar to the 9 you showed in your example for Winks in one of the seasons. He barely featured in Europa League, yet featured a lot in the Carabao cup.

To me both are squad players at best and depending on availability they play more or not. Both are similar level and abilities..
It's not irrelevant, yes both are squad players but there is difference in their quality. That's why every squad player coata different.

Mctominay career didn't start just last season, he started lot of games in other seasons when we finished 2nd and 3rd.

the_cliff

It's not irrelevant, yes both are squad players but there is difference in their quality. That's why every squad player coata different.

Mctominay career didn't start just last season, he started lot of games in other seasons when we finished 2nd and 3rd.
This here is the key that many people are forgetting.

Mctominay was part of a first 11 that finished 2nd and reached the Europa league final. West Ham would kill for a season like that from him.

Mainoldo

He really is worth what we are asking for. £50m for Gallagher. McTominay outperforms him.

Oranges038

30m is a fair price. Him and Maguire out the gap for 60m would be excellent business.

I can see West Ham, saying feck off and they'll at Utd for at least another year.

Enigma_87

You know who
3 times out of the last 4 seasons? At least try to prove your point - but I'm guessing you're a WUM now.
and 3 times in the last 5 seasons. If you say top 4 team then name them. Chelsea finished top 4 four times in the last 5 seasons, are they not a top 4 team? Or Liverpool, or CIty, or Arsenal? At which expense we are a top 4 and the other team is not.

padzilla

Hipster
McT is a good player on occasions but never great, what he does have is a good physicality and has a few goals in him too. Should be looking at between 35 to 40m at least.

roseguy64

We could well price him out of a move
Think it should be clear by now that's why the club is setting his price high. They want to keep him barring an offer that's in line with the market/above market.

All the word coming out is that it would be a very reluctant sale.

Plastic Evra

That's not taking inflation into account though. 25m back then was equivalent to over 80m today probably.
It was the biggest transfer that year in €, certainly.

United doesn't have a very few big sales to its name. Going by Transfermarkt, 10 players sold for 20m€ or more. It's pretty similar to Bayern (11), PSG (10) or City (12) which I suppose are also on that line of "we only buy finished product and are not selling". I'd say some of those top sales for MU (Stap, Veron, Beckham...) are a little ancient compared to Bayern though.
Real has 23 and Juventus 19.

Though if Maguire and McT both go for 30m£+ it will make United more of a big selling club (small samples). I think the lesson of cutting your losses and salvaging what you can out of big misfires (Lukaku, Di Maria) has been learned.

Could be more astute and timely about academy players & less wasteful in recruitment (the latter seems to trend in the right direction).

RORY65

Think it should be clear by now that's why the club is setting his price high. They want to keep him barring an offer that's in line with the market/above market.

All the word coming out is that it would be a very reluctant sale.
Which doesn't make a ton of sense given he started 10 league games last year and 6 of those were before Casemiro came in after the City game which was at the start of October. He's not a bad player by any means but he doesn't really have a midfield role where he looks entirely comfortable either, if he was a bit better positionally and more willing to get on the ball then he could be a handy deputy to Casemiro but because that isn't the case then he's always going to be played a bit further forward and then he can seem a bit limited. Hopefully they can settle on a price that works for everyone because I'd like to see him play more regularly than will ever be the case now at United.

RedCurry

Just putting things into perspective, Moyes spent £27.5M on Fellaini, 10 years ago.

Devil You Know

McTominay is good enough to be a squad player for United, and a starter for West Ham.

EtH doesn't seem to want to lose him. A lot of what McT does gets appreciated more by managers and other players than it does by armchair fans. Hence why Mourinho loved him, Ole dropped Pogba for him, Rangnick called him a future captain, and EtH appears happy to keep him. I also recall Keane saying how he's worth keeping while Fred isn't.

But all that being said, everyone has a price. If West Ham meet it, he'll go. I think if it's a choice between two equally good players one of whom is an academy graduate and the other isn't, I'd always pick the academy graduate. That means we'd need a transfer fee big enough to buy someone who's actually better. Even £40m would be tight unless we had someone else specific in mind whom we've already contacted (Amrabat is a very different profile as DM so I don't see him as a replacement for what Scott can offer, and Mainoo is an #8).

Given that every transfer we've gone after has been £55m as a minimum, we need to be careful not to leave a gap in the squad that we can't afford to fill.

Roboc7

McTominay is good enough to be a squad player for United, and a starter for West Ham.

EtH doesn't seem to want to lose him. A lot of what McT does gets appreciated more by managers and other players than it does by armchair fans. Hence why Mourinho loved him, Ole dropped Pogba for him, Rangnick called him a future captain, and EtH appears happy to keep him. I also recall Keane saying how he's worth keeping while Fred isn't.

But all that being said, everyone has a price. If West Ham meet it, he'll go. I think if it's a choice between two equally good players one of whom is an academy graduate and the other isn't, I'd always pick the academy graduate. That means we'd need a transfer fee big enough to buy someone who's actually better. Even £40m would be tight unless we had someone else specific in mind whom we've already contacted (Amrabat is a very different profile as DM so I don't see him as a replacement for what Scott can offer, and Mainoo is an #8).

Given that every transfer we've gone after has been £55m as a minimum, we need to be careful not to leave a gap in the squad that we can't afford to fill.
He isn’t good enough to be a squad player for us but I’m sure he’d do well at West Ham. Quite rightly ETH hasn’t made same mistakes as previous managers, he ditched Mctominay as a starter very quickly and now he’s up for sale. Should have happened a long time ago and hopefully we get a decent but definitely shouldn’t make mistake of getting too greedy and have to keep him for another season.

SATA

I’ll be sad to see him go if i’m being honest. Hopefully we’ll get good money for him if he wants first team football and he gets a club that he wants to play for. I’m reading Newcastle wants him too

Status
Not open for further replies.