Scott Wootton

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
He's a good player but not quite enough for premier league level I think. I'm certain he'll have a good long solid career either way.
He'll play for Doncaster.

Or end up strangling a referee and start snorting coke like Ronnie Wallwork.

Platato

Psst!
Bar his mistakes, does the lad show more pace than what I witnessed last night? If not, I worry for his future. Outpaced on several occasions. Rafa saved his as at times. Hope he doesn't get too down though. He did alright otherwise.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Unfortunate for him to give up that penalty at the end, he had a good game otherwise. Ramires was clever to win the penalty, he made the most of it but Wootton was certainly a bit out of control.

I saw plenty of good signs.

Brightonian

Unfortunate for him to give up that penalty at the end, he had a good game otherwise. Ramires was clever to win the penalty, he made the most of it but Wootton was certainly a bit out of control.

I saw plenty of good signs.
I don't want to be harsh to the boy, I know it was a rare first team appearance against what was eventually a full strength Chelsea attack but...

He didn't really have a 'good game otherwise'. He gave Sturridge his goal on a plate, a very bad error at any level. He made a couple of less disastrous mistakes too, and was lucky to be on the pitch by the end. And it was Keane who provided most of the positive moments at CB.

He's not terrible, and this was admittedly an unusually poor one from him. But having watched him for four years or so now, I'd say he's bound for a lower level Premier League team, or possibly a good Championship side. Keane is already better than him, despite being younger and much less experienced.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Foo, after seeing that penalty that he gave away again.... Fairly dubious really. Can see why the ref gave it though.

The stream said it was clear cut but I am not so sure. Unlucky to the lad, but a bit of inexperience there.

lysglimt

Scout
He did more than ok until he got too tired. For 80 minutes or so, Wootton did quite well! But the game lasts a bit longer unfortunately

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I dont think he had a good game, even if I take away the penalty. Way too many gaps and not decisive enough. It will be a good learning for him / them though and let's see how they react.

kps88

Wouldn't Ramires have smacked the ball in anyway if Wooton didn't make that "challenge"?

RyanGoggs

Insists on dating women in public places - for the
Poor lad had a nightmare. Not in terms of overall game but those two mistakes will haunt him. Keane on the other hand I thought really excelled

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I don't want to be harsh to the boy, I know it was a rare first team appearance against what was eventually a full strength Chelsea attack but...

He didn't really have a 'good game otherwise'. He gave Sturridge his goal on a plate, a very bad error at any level. He made a couple of less disastrous mistakes too, and was lucky to be on the pitch by the end. And it was Keane who provided most of the positive moments at CB.

He's not terrible, and this was admittedly an unusually poor one from him. But having watched him for four years or so now, I'd say he's bound for a lower level Premier League team, or possibly a good Championship side. Keane is already better than him, despite being younger and much less experienced.
I'll watch the game again. From what I've read this season up to this game, Wootton has been the far more solid CB in the reserves and people were doubting Keane.

I thought us losing the momentum of the game was down to the midfield, and considering all the pressure I thought both CBs did well to keep Chelsea from scoring in the last 30 minutes of regular time, up until the last 10 seconds or so. From there it was obvious we'd lose, I'll admit I was looking away most of the time.

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
Unlike Keane, I doubt he'll ever be good enough to hold down a place here but he should go on to have a good career elsewhere and the experience he gathered last night will be nothing but good for him. He should be proud of his performance despite the errors through tiredness.

Amazing when you consider Chelsea needed a last second penalty with all their big guns on the pitch just to draw level with our 6th and 7th choice centre halfs making only their 2nd appearances.

Id love to know who Chelsea's 6th and 7th choice equivalents are and what our attack would do to them. I'll doubt we'll ever see them however as we all know Chelsea don't do youth products.

MPTutd

Unlike Keane, I doubt he'll ever be good enough to hold down a place here but he should go on to have a good career elsewhere and the experience he gathered last night will be nothing but good for him. He should be proud of his performance despite the errors through tiredness.

Amazing when you consider Chelsea needed a last second penalty with all their big guns on the pitch just to draw level with our 6th and 7th choice centre halfs making only their 2nd appearances.

Id love to know who Chelsea's 6th and 7th choice equivalents are and what our attack would do to them. I'll doubt we'll ever see them however as we all know Chelsea don't do youth products.
This.

Widnes

You could argue they are our 7th & 8th choice in that position since Carrick gets picked at CB ahead of them in league or CL matches.

redflash

IMO He just showed his age, both physically and mentally. Yes he did have a bit of a mare but consider he was facing an attacking line up (over the course of the game) consisting of Mata (Spanish international), Hazard (Belgian International), Oscar (Brazilian International) Sturridge (England U21 International) and Ramires (Brazilian international).

These players are physically a lot better than him as they will be stronger fitter and sharper from playing regularly in one of the fastest paced leagues in the world and against physically bigger and stronger players week in and week out.

You have to look at his performance and say that in the main they did a good job of holding Chelsea at bay, but most of the problems came as the game went on and the young lads tired, made bad decisions and could not cope with the waves of attacks coming from whats was (give or take a £50m ******)Chelsea's first choice attack.

I would be very positive about what i saw last night because if Nani had not been selfish and kept the ball in the corner those young lads would have beaten that Chelsea side. I think the future is very bright for these young lads and a lot of positives can be taken from last nights performance in very difficult circumstances.

Brightonian

I would be very positive about what i saw last night because if Nani had not been selfish and kept the ball in the corner those young lads would have beaten that Chelsea side. I think the future is very bright for these young lads and a lot of positives can be taken from last nights performance in very difficult circumstances.
This seems a very warped way of interpreting the game. You're effectively apportioning more blame to Nani than to Wootton.

I think he'd be the first to admit that even factoring in the vast gulf in quality, which you'd expect would give him a very hard game, he still had a shocker. Under no real pressure, he headed the ball perfectly into the path of one of their strikers to give him a simple one-on-one situation. No matter what level he's playing or how tired he would have been by a higher pace of football than he's used to, there's no excusing that one.

But then players have bad matches. I don't particularly rate the lad but I'm not basing that opinion on this one-off unbalanced match.

redflash

This seems a very warped way of interpreting the game. You're effectively apportioning more blame to Nani than to Wootton.

I think he'd be the first to admit that even factoring in the vast gulf in quality, which you'd expect would give him a very hard game, he still had a shocker. Under no real pressure, he headed the ball perfectly into the path of one of their strikers to give him a simple one-on-one situation. No matter what level he's playing or how tired he would have been by a higher pace of football than he's used to, there's no excusing that one.

But then players have bad matches. I don't particularly rate the lad but I'm not basing that opinion on this one-off unbalanced match.
I am portioning more blame on nani for the simple reason that the mistakes from Wooten (the penalty & the header) would not have happened if he had not been so selfish. The game was over we keep the ball in the corner for another thirty seconds and the rest never exists.

Yes Wooten had a shocker but late in the game. Remember the 4-3 derby, one of the best defenders in the world (rio, just gifted the ball to belemy) oint being players make mistakes when they are tired.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
I love some of these comments...as it's if only youth players give away penalties and make bad back passes...

He's played two full games so let's wait and see what happens before every 'expert' on here starts writing him off.

prateik

I dont understand why people are being so critical.
He wasnt anywhere near the first team before this season. He isnt very experienced and clearly not ready. If he was, he'd be starting ahead of Carrick in the important games.

He'll make mistakes. I've seen experienced defenders have absolute shockers in the premier league. The kid made some mistakes towards the end of the game against a world class front line. Its not the end of the world.

He is being given a chance for a reason. He must have some talent. One bad performance doesnt change that.

Decotron

I actually cant believe his progress. He's come on leaps and bounds in the last 12months from what I can see. I had him well down the pecking order at youth/reserve level.

He seems a very driven lad, you'd expect that though considering where we got him from!

OGkush

Hey man, got any papers?
I actually cant believe his progress. He's come on leaps and bounds in the last 12months from what I can see. I had him well down the pecking order at youth/reserve level.

He seems a very driven lad, you'd expect that though considering where we got him from!
He won't be getting a sniff at first team football anytime soon. Smalling and Jones are almost back, Vidič isn't that far away either.

And honestly regardless of that (as much as I hate this phrase) he's not "United quality".
Yeah you can argue he was up against a very strong side, but you still expect a player to perform regardless of the opposition, at the end of the day isn't that why the player was chosen in the first place?
I'm not saying he's terrible, but what I've seen from him so far this season hasn't nearly convinced me, plus Evans (24/25), Smalling (21) and Jones (20) all have plenty of years ahead of them and they are clearly better than him. Not to mention Keane's already a better player in my opinion.