Scott Wootton

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I think he could well start against Cluj, Rio can play three matches in a week but this may be a good chance for Wootton.

He impressed me against Newcastle in the League Cup more than Michael Keane, though he did give Cisse a yard of space for his goal.

With the injury problems with Vidic, Smalling, Jones and Rio's advancing age, could Wootton play a part for us this season?

RonaldoVII

I was expecting Rio to be left behind in Manchester and Wootton start. Seems a bit odd making Rio travel and then not start him.

Wootton looked decent against Newcastle but we've a tough run of games coming up so might be a bit of a big ask to throw him in.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
I agree; we always need centre-backs so a good opportunity to give him some valuable experience. On the other hand I don't want to take the group stage too lightly like last season, but with enough experience around him to help him settle in then I don't think it's that much of a risk.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Agreed, the home game against Cluj would probably be a better game for his CL debut. There is an international break after the Newcastle game, so if Rio plays 3 games in a week he has two weeks to recover.

Who knows, Smalling, Jones and Vidic might not give him a look in once they're back. But I'm glad he's there, I think he's solid.

Widnes

I think Keane maybe the better talent but the fact that Wooton is a couple years older probably just pushes him ahead, the centre halfs looked a bit shaky when Cisse came on but thats just experience I think either one would do ok with someone Like Rio or Evans next to them

Cold_Boy

Fergie has said he likes Wooton and has big chance(many he said this about didn't make it) and that he would rather start Wooton than Carrick in future.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Wootton looked like a young Nemanja Vidic. He didn't look out of place at all. In fact, probably one of the best debuts I've seen from one of our youngsters in a while. It's just not as exciting because he's a CB, but I'd trust him against Cluj, no worries.

Same goes for Keane, he was impressive also.

The Neviller

I think he could well start against Cluj, Rio can play three matches in a week but this may be a good chance for Wootton.

He impressed me against Newcastle in the League Cup more than Michael Keane, though he did give Cisse a yard of space for his goal.

With the injury problems with Vidic, Smalling, Jones and Rio's advancing age, could Wootton play a part for us this season?
I think Keane was better if I'm honest, and will be better in the future. Wooton is a bit older so might get the nod, but on pure ability, between the two, I'd have Keane ahead.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I think Keane was better if I'm honest, and will be better in the future. Wooton is a bit older so might get the nod, but on pure ability, between the two, I'd have Keane ahead.
They're both very good prospects, I think they'll end up being EPL defenders if not United players.

Wootton seemed to deal with the pace of the Newcastle game, vs the more tepid pace of the reserves, better than Keane. I noticed several plays later in the game where Keane was a step late and seemed sluggish, but endurance will come with age.

mo0

inclined to agree with gooDevil here. i think Wootton will be a great stand-in, but it really depends on purchase policies and Rio's health.

Vidic (30) - two concurrent knee injuries
Rio (33, 34 in Nov) - slowing down, quite literally
------
Smalling
Jones
Evans
------

you figure if there's an additional purchase, then there's room for 1 more CB. Wootton could be it, and Keane will have to bide his time.

Keane's timing is a lot more fortuitous than Wootton's, in terms of the competitive age at the top end of the CB scale.

shrug. who knows. great to see two English CB's in the mixer.

the additional advantage is that Wootton has on-loan experience as well. Keane, yet to do so.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Was impressed by both so glad we play them and not Carrick at centre back.

dev1l

He got around 10 minutes on pitch today. It's not easy coming on in the middle of defence with 10 min to go.
To be fair he made a couple of mistakes - when he missed the header and rio got yellow carded and in the last minute when the cluj player header was saved by de gea. but overall i didn think he did too badly.

Opinions?

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Could be a smart move to hold on to him by Fergie given how many of our defenders pick up injuries.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
"The last week or so has been amazing," said the 21-year-old.

"To make my competitive debut in the League Cup and then to come on and play in the Champions League is a great feeling. It's something I'm made up with.

"It is always the way. As a young player, obviously you don't wish injuries on someone, but that's how you might get your chance.

"I got my chance against Newcastle through injuries. It's just the way it is."

Wootton had a rather unconventional route to the United first team in that he hails from Birkenhead and was initially on Tranmere's books.

However, it was not long before Liverpool was showing an interest and he moved to the club's academy.

The Red Devils always kept in touch though, and when Wootton hesitated over signing scholarship forms with the Anfield outfit, United made its move.

"I wasn't too sure whether I was going to sign (for Liverpool)," said Wootton.

"United invited me down for a week's trial and said they wanted to sign straight after that. It was really good."

Wootton is showing welcome signs of being completely unaffected by the transformation in his status.

He still changed with the reserve players last week at the Carrington training ground, and when United took on Liverpool at Anfield last month he was able to sneak into the visiting side's end without anyone taking too much notice.

"I was never a Liverpool fan or anything like that, so I just went mad like everyone else when Robin van Persie scored," he said.

How quickly Wootton has gone from cheering Manchester United's latest glamour boy to sharing a dressing room with him.

Yet Wootton insists he is trying to do everything just the same.

"You want to progress as a footballer and these are the next steps," he said.

"For young players at a lot of top clubs the League Cup is where the managers embed them into the team, so obviously I was delighted with that.

"But in all these situations, it would be wrong to do anything different than you would normally.

"Obviously there are some extra special things like the team talks, coming away with the first team and the fans, which are different from what you're are used to.

"But you just try and concentrate on your football just the same."

It is not quite the same though, not when you are having to mark Papiss Cisse, as he did in the League Cup and may have to do again on Sunday (Monday AEST).

"Everything is that extra step quicker," said Wootton.

"You've always got to concentrate; you can't switch off for one minute."
http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/english-premier-league/news/1123213/Wootton-happy-to-step-in?

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
He probably just watched Aliens.
There's a ton of great quotes from Aliens but I don't remember that one!

"That's it man, game over man, game over! What the feck are we gonna do now? What are we gonna do?"
"It's gonna be dark soon, and they mostly hunt at night. Mostly."

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I don't know if he read the same thing I did, but mine said something like Liverpool didn't offer him the kind of contract he wanted and so United moved in, along with other teams, and then he chose to join us as we quite liked him.

The above article sort of glosses over Liverpool basically letting him go by offering him a tiny contract, if that's indeed what happened.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
Well, that will set him back somewhat.

He'll never make it, and that's not an opinion I made up after this match.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
And should've seen yellow three times.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
I didn't think he was to be frank. Got done for pace badly a few times.
Noticed that too. Didn't know if it was just down to the pace of the opposition but looked like he was going backwards once or twice.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
He's quite slow.

But let's face it that was not the problem tonight. Looked miles off the pace and was involved in almost every bit of poor defending.

Keane looked twice the player.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
If you exclude the raping, the murdering and the necrophillia, Ted Bundy was an alright bloke.
If ref blew the whistle 5 seconds earlier we would be saying Wootton had very good game. I don't rate him that high, but he had at least solid 90 minutes.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
He didn't though.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Well, that will set him back somewhat.

He'll never make it, and that's not an opinion I made up after this match.
I'm surprised he got a contract when he did. He's never really shone at youth or reserve level.