Search for the Chosen CM to bring balance to The Force...errr Formation

buckooo1978

Pogba/Veratti/Koke would all be great

Ideally want to see us sign players in the 21-25 bracket and build a team

to think we could have bought Strootman/Erickson/Cabaye for around 12 million each

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Koke-Blind-Veratti
Di Maria-Rooney-Depay
Koke is unattainable. He'll stay at Atletico for some more time before inevitably moving to Barcelona IMO.

backofthenet

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's not the messiah... he's a very naughty boy
I'n glad Koke is unobtainable. Too small, not mobile enough and would get bullied in the premier league. We need a 6ft plus, mobile player that is not going to get bullied out of it and is willing to get stuck in whilst also being able to play. Our equivalent of Matic essentially. Whether that is Schneiderlin or Pogba or Strootman i don't care, but adding a Spanish techno-midget will not help us.

Clas Sified

I think McCarthy would be great. Sure he's not having the best of seasons, but IMO he's ready for the step up.

Clas Sified

I'n glad Koke is unobtainable. Too small, not mobile enough and would get bullied in the premier league. We need a 6ft plus, mobile player that is not going to get bullied out of it and is willing to get stuck in whilst also being able to play. Our equivalent of Matic essentially. Whether that is Schneiderlin or Pogba or Strootman i don't care, but adding a Spanish techno-midget will not help us.
Fabregas isn't doing too badly is he? Small agile players perform wonderfully in the Prem. Just look at Cazorla, Silva, Mata and of course, Fabregas.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Are you sure you're talking about Koke here?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Verratti
Gundogan Eriksen
Di Maria Dybala Januzaj

Schneiderlin
Herrera Pogba
Di Maria Dybala Januzaj

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Swap Di Maria for Depay and Januzaj for a new signing.
I actually don't like Depay which might be controversial but he doesn't strike me as being a league above Nani. Perhaps Reus? I want someone technical but is more of a finisher than Di Maria.

Verratti
Gundogan Eriksen
Di Maria Dybala Bale

Schneiderlin
Herrera Pogba
Di Maria Dybala Bale

Last edited:

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I actually don't like Depay which might be controversial but he doesn't strike me as being a league above Nani.
Why don't you have Blind in your lineups? IMO he's the only permanent fixture in our midfield going forward, he's been excellent this season and his positional sense and distribution are essential to any success we might have. He's the best midfielder we have right now.

Skills

Snitch
How about Pjanic?

----------Blind
-----Pjanic---Herrera
Di Maria--Rooney--Depay

#Philosophy

Glanville95

Not really sure what Strootman's situation is like, I presume he is being written out of the equation? He was being heralded as the new United midfield enforcer given our supposed interest and van Gaal's appreciation of him. Is he really struggling to return to his pre-injury form since he's returned or what? I always thought that deal was a formality and a matter of when not if.

Out of the OP's list, I'm a big fan of Schneiderlin and I think he will provide exactly what we need in midfield given his mobility, physicality and defensive ability which is more important in our next midfield purchase than an attack-minded, flair midfielder IMO. My preference at right back is another Southampton player in Clyne though and I'm not sure Southampton would be willing to let both go to us in one window, but of course that is likely to be dependent on where they finish this season.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Why don't you have Blind in your lineups? IMO he's the only permanent fixture in our midfield going forward, he's been excellent this season and his positional sense and distribution are essential to any success we might have. He's the best midfielder we have right now.
I like Blind, but he can be upgraded. It depends on the level we are aspiring to, I am more than happy to keep him as our first choice DM but I would prefer to see him as a backup and have someone a little quicker in the role. As good as Blind is, I think Verratti is better and Schneiderlin can provide better defensive cover as he covers more ground. Either way it isn't a major issue.

I do think the CM choice is so key, all we have is Herrera and we need someone who can dictate possession but in an attacking sense. Blind can patrol the game in front of the defence but there is no one who playmakes from the centre-circle. Peak Gundogan or Modric would be perfect but it depends on Gundogan's physical capabilities... guys like Pogba/Koke are more attacking mids and will not rectify this major issue in our midfield. There is no CM general in our midfield and there are not many in world football as a whole at the moment.

backofthenet

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's not the messiah... he's a very naughty boy
Are you sure you're talking about Koke here?
Yup. Definitely talking about the 5ft 10, 11 stone Koke. I would want a 6 ft 1 or 2 lad that can really get about the pitch, break up play, create play, the whole shooting match. We've got Herrera or Mata or Di Maria for the creative player a la Fabregas. I want the Matic that goes alongside him. That would really give us a base which the likes of Januzaj, Di Maria, Mata etc can work from.

Walters_19_MuFc

If we want a player to give us balance and allow our creative players to be creative, although very good players, I personally don't think players like Pjanic, Gundogan and Koke are the right type of players.

I even have my qualms about Pogba, who is terrific driving forward with the ball and creating, but I fear that Van Gaal will take a bit of that away from his game, as I think he'll want his most advanced midfielder to take most of the risks, but I guess Pogba can do both, which is what makes him so good.

As I said in the 'LvG says we need some midfielders to go with our other midfielders' thread, the players I think we should be looking at is:

Paul Pogba
James McCarthy
Arturo Vidal
Kevin Strootman
Lars Bender
Sami Khedira
Radja Nainggolan
Morgan Schneiderlin
Blaise Matuidi

1st choice

Carrick
Pogba - Herrera
Di Maria - Rooney - Reus

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
How about Pjanic?

----------Blind
-----Pjanic---Herrera
Di Maria--Rooney--Depay

#Philosophy
Thats a pretty good team, but I think LVG will see that as lacking physical presence. Hes probably right, we need to think about defending corners and freekicks etc. We need someone who is big and physical as well as being able to play. Pogba looks the obvious choice, but I'm sure theres got to be a few players out there.
Whats happened to William Carvaliho? @Sly How has he been performing this season?

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Poor ander :(
Ander will be alright, if theres one criticism I have of LVG its he seems like he sometimes lets the fans/media press him into decisions and if Ander continues to be a fan favourite the press will relay that to him most press conferences. I personally think he thinks Ander is too lightweight on the ball but other than that rates his abilities.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Ander will be alright, if theres one criticism I have of LVG its he seems like he sometimes lets the fans/media press him into decisions and if Ander continues to be a fan favourite the press will relay that to him most press conferences. I personally think he thinks Ander is too lightweight on the ball but other than that rates his abilities.
If he thinks Ander is light weight on the ball, then he should have a second look at Blind.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
After departure of both Fletch and Ando and altering Fellaini's role we can easily go for two or even three class midfielders, while keeping in mind that Carrick have his years and will require few days of rest between multiple fixtures in one week.

Strootman and Koke would be more than enough when it comes to team's balance. We could also unleash Pearson and Fosu Mensah at some point and chances are one of them will make it. If the budget or lack of it will give us more resources like in Di Maria's deal we should go for Pogba while Gundogan being an emergency plan.

Add to that few dynamic talents like Depay and Dybala or some of that class and we're set for the title challenge. Still not sure about the defense... right side may need one fast and strong Right Back.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
If he thinks Ander is light weight on the ball, then he should have a second look at Blind.
Yeah I get the feeling that its not just about him being a little lightweight. Don't think he likes too many risk takers in midfield.

Zoo

Nainggolan has really impressed me whenever I watched him, I really just want somebody comfortable on the ball
Agreed I was also impressed but don't watch Roma regularly and not sure if he's the real deal.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Tbf Blind is stronger on the ball but since every fecker and his uncle pressures us on the ball he gets exposed more than Herrera would because he is covering the back 3 or 4
Might be a good idea to sign some strong defenders, then the need to have so much cover in front of them won't be necessary. If our defence wasn't so flaky teams might start thinking about our attacking threats instead of putting us under pressure at the other end. A couple of CB's ( one maybe for the future, one for now) a proper RB who can attack and defend, a CM, a winger maybe, and depending what we do with Falcao a forward. Get rid of the loan players, why people want any of them back I don't know. Get rid of a couple of CB's, Rafael I am not sure along with kids who aren't going to make it and some out on loan. Then we should be set.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
I've always liked him, but after what Phil Neville said I doubt we'll ever try and sign him again
Yeah I heard his comments, and I also thought Matuidi was two years younger. We'll probably try Vidal or Pogba first anyway, and I can't think of many reasons for PSG to sell him. He's a better option than Strootman for us though, since Kevin's injury set-back. And Matuidi played a great match when France beat Holland just before the World Cup, so Van Gaal knows him.

Although looking from a PSG perspective, record signing David Luiz has to play somewhere. And a smart man wouldn't put him in defense against decent teams. So that would mean they'd still have Verratti, Luiz, Tiago Motta, and Rabiot for their CM spots if they sold Matuidi. And a nice sum for him could come in handy for some new muppet signings with the FFP.

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
Agreed I was also impressed but don't watch Roma regularly and not sure if he's the real deal.
Ive seen him about 5 times ever but always really stood out as always being on the ball and positive, looking to start attacks or get the ball back, im hearing Liverpool are bidding £36 million for Pjanic so could really spoil our chances

Crashoutcassius

I'd be happy if we could offload mata and get a more balanced CM for the same price ish. Mata out for schneiderlin would be nice.

Talking about Koke and Pogba means 50m+ which is possible obviously but I'd prefer to keep the gunpowder dry to look for a bit of excitement out wide that we haven't had since ronaldo left, and some work on the defence with a CB and a RB probably on the cards

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Might be a good idea to sign some strong defenders, then the need to have so much cover in front of them won't be necessary. If our defence wasn't so flaky teams might start thinking about our attacking threats instead of putting us under pressure at the other end. A couple of CB's ( one maybe for the future, one for now) a proper RB who can attack and defend, a CM, a winger maybe, and depending what we do with Falcao a forward. Get rid of the loan players, why people want any of them back I don't know. Get rid of a couple of CB's, Rafael I am not sure along with kids who aren't going to make it and some out on loan. Then we should be set.
Hard to argue with that

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I don't watch a ton of Juve, but from what I remember of Pogba for us, and what I have seen of him in the last 12 months, he's more of what we have. An upgrade, but he's most useful in the attacking half, rather than the defensive half. He'd be another one in competition with Di Maria, Mata and Herrera, rather than solidifying the midfield.

Given the prices being touted, he just doesn't seem to solve our biggest issues. He'd make the team better, but I'd much rather invest half the sums being mentioned on a beast of a DMF and some actual centre backs. We could probably buy 3 very good options for the cost of Pogba.

No doubt he's one of the best talents in the game today, but he doesn't seem like the answer to our main problems. It'll hurt when he replaces Yaya, but that's a better fit tbh.

Kag

We need a box to box presence with strength and energy. Pogba is the ideal player. I'd look to Schneiderlin as the cheaper alternative.

Ideally, we'd get one of those two in the side and field a three man midfield. A Blind, Pogba and Herrera trio looks appealing.

DomesticTadpole

I don't watch a ton of Juve, but from what I remember of Pogba for us, and what I have seen of him in the last 12 months, he's more of what we have. An upgrade, but he's most useful in the attacking half, rather than the defensive half. He'd be another one in competition with Di Maria, Mata and Herrera, rather than solidifying the midfield.

Given the prices being touted, he just doesn't seem to solve our biggest issues. He'd make the team better, but I'd much rather invest half the sums being mentioned on a beast of a DMF and some actual centre backs. We could probably buy 3 very good options for the cost of Pogba.

No doubt he's one of the best talents in the game today, but he doesn't seem like the answer to our main problems. It'll hurt when he replaces Yaya, but that's a better fit tbh.
I hope that Ed is reading this then. You might be right and LvG isn't after him for that reason. As long as the money men aren't thinking we will sign Pogba for the wrong reasons and not if he would actually solve the problems we have. Although Ed is likely looking at Bale for the shiny money making purposes.

DomesticTadpole

We need a box to box presence with strength and energy. Pogba is the ideal player. I'd look to Schneiderlin as the cheaper alternative.

Ideally, we'd get one of those two in the side and field a three man midfield. A Blind, Pogba and Herrera trio looks appealing.
I like him. I just hope we don't overspend in the wrong areas and then underspend in the area that desperately needs dealing with.

Devil may care

If we sort the defence out I honestly don't think we will need two DM's. Get a good RB and a world class CB or two we will be fine with one DM.
I agree but all of this talk of beasts sounds more like competition for Blind than a compliment to his game.