Selling Martial, Casemiro and Varane in January would make sense

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We should be doing a big clear out. We don't need a big squad at all given we are out of every cup, and league wise we have next to no hope to finish in a CL spot anyway, even if it goes to 5th. We need to average 2.5 points per game to end in mid 70's, and that just won't happen. If we can get any respectable transfer fee for pretty much half of the squad, we should take it.

Roboc7

Martial is a waste of space, be amazed if anyone was prepared to pay a fee for him or even take him on a free this window unless his wages were massively subsidised by Utd.

Varane has been mediocre this season when fit and should be sold for the right offer. Casemiro should go in the summer if get a decent offer. Get those three and Sancho off the wage bill and must be saving up to £50m a year in wages. Sancho is a lost cause and the other three have seen their best days so I’d see it as a positive and ambitious sig not we were looking to replace them.

It wouldn't make much sense, Casemiro has been superb for maybe 80% of his United games so far, led United to a cup and top 4.

He has a dodgy 10 games in a ridiculously open system, then gets injured and he should be sold in January? He's 31, not 35.
Aye, United fans though eh? Absolutely nuts they are, go off form for a few games and they couldn’t flog you fast enough. Doesn’t matter if you were our best player last season, have a few shit games and you’re wank or past it.

Casemiro should be the last player we are considering shipping off.

MonkeysMagic

With Mbappe leaving PSG, I'm hoping they'll come in for Rashford. I'll be prepared to see him leave for a good transfer fee as I just don't see him working out at Utd anymore.

foolsgold

Casemiro I'd keep till the summer and then seek to get his wages off the books, but if a decent bid comes and he wants to go then no one is going to stand in his way.

Varane, it depends on the fitness of Martinez and Maguire. he's on a huge wage and his fitness is an issue, I think he leaves at the end of the season anyway.

Martial. We'd need to replace him with a loan striker, who are we getting better for the money. He's gone in June anyway.

Belisarius

With Mbappe leaving PSG, I'm hoping they'll come in for Rashford. I'll be prepared to see him leave for a good transfer fee as I just don't see him working out at Utd anymore.
I also hope for this. Don't think it is possible until summer though.

For the rest, I don't think we should sell any of them in January unless Saudi's make a ridiculously high offer. We still have a chance for top 4 or 5 in the league and Casemiro and Varane could help get us there.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The squad is already weak as feck. Why make it weaker, especially as I'd be surprised if the injuries completely abated this season.

Just wait until the summer and then flog them all.
Let's speak of the upside first. We'll be cutting over 40m a year in salaries which would do wonders in terms of FFP for next summer. Not to forget the fees that should be around 50m.

Now Martial's and Casemiro's impact this season had been negligible. Considering that we've got far less games now, we can easily

a- end the campaign with Amrabat and Mainoo as our DM
b- we can bring a loanee to score those precious 2 goals Martial had provided us.

Varane might need replacing. However if we sell all those players then we can afford a CB who can actually be first team level and not be injury prone. We might even squeeze a striker on the cheap as well (Guirassy?)

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Sell Martial, Varane and Casemiro to Saudi for 200 mils

Get Osimhen, Todibo and Onana 2

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
It would make sense a hundred percent . In fact, we should be actively trying to move these three in the window since we have already given up on the season by continuing with ETH.

It would be a great window if we can sell - Pellestri, Mejbri, Martial, Varane and Casemiro. Even better if in addition we can loan out Sancho (waster) & Gore (to get some experience) and get in a half decent striker on loan.

We don't need a such a huge squad for the number of games we have left this season. And any sort of money and wages saved from the sales will help us plan better for the summer transfer window, which would need to be huge for us to have a good next season. Anyway, I don't think like the idea of bloated squads. Can't imagine a third/fourth choice player for a position being happy given that some managers (Like ETH) don't like to rotate the squads a lot until or unless there is an injury crisis. A squad with two players for each position and 3 for GK is ideal. The rest can and should be supplemented from the academy, if need arises.

Jeffthered

Absolutely. Antony too. The squad we have left will get us through the season, mid-table... give a few highlight moments, and importantly, give INEOS time to have a good look at things. Reduce ridiculously bloated wage bill, change the culture, send a message, make a statement. I think the summer we should consider moving both Bruno and Rashford on too. I'm not convinced about their commitment or focus at the club and we may get £100m for the two of them.

We need to start building again and being more astute in the market place. Look at Liverpool's midfield, totally changed, and MacAllister isn't even their best player despite his cost. Our scouting network seems pretty, pretty poor.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Sell Martial, Varane and Casemiro to Saudi for 200 mils

Get Osimhen, Todibo and Onana 2
We won't get that money. But that's irrelevant. Getting rid of Casemiro, Varane and Martial would mean wiping around 30m-40m in salaries. That on top of earning another 30m-40M in fees. Sure we would lose 3 players. However if one take the romanticism around these names we'll see that these are players on the wane, who are probably here for their last paycheck, will not commit too much physically as they don't want to remain crippled for all their life and haven't been that effective throughout the past few months. Considering that we're not in the CL/League cup and our issues with FFP then cutting access fat would be beneficial. It would give us more leg room for the summer, it would spurn the football side to start working for replacement now as we will certainly need them and it will give the message across that the time of getting huge salaries for nothing is over. A smaller side will probably force ETH to look at the youth academy. Rashford and Mainoo were given first team opportunities mainly because we needed bodies on the pitch.

Von Mistelroum

Who is likely to take Varane and Martial currently?

Where will we find a club who thinks "that Varane fella would be great to have around for a couple of weeks every season!"

Or "our squad are far too energetic and happy. What we need is a french chap who has two speeds (slow & stop) and one facial expression (abject misery)... For a couple of weeks every season"?

RoyH1

Casemiro can still play an important role if he's fit and rested. And selling Varane will not be easy at his wages

Rojofiam

Who do you replace him with?

daba

I also hope for this. Don't think it is possible until summer though.

For the rest, I don't think we should sell any of them in January unless Saudi's make a ridiculously high offer. We still have a chance for top 4 or 5 in the league and Casemiro and Varane could help get us there.
What would you both say is a reasonable fee for Rashford if PSG do come knocking?

To add another option to the mix, I could potentially see Sancho doing decently at Dortmund and then PSG maybe taking a sniff at Sancho.